History of the Great Lakes
Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield
Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899
Thomas Eagan was born in Rochester, N. Y., February 9, 1855, the son of John and Catherine (Fallon) Eagan, and the namesake of a wealthy uncle now living in Rochester, a hale and hearty man eighty years of age. His parents came to the United States in 1853, and located in Rochester for a short time, removing to Cleveland in 1865, where the subject of this sketch received his education, attending night school taught by William Dugan, who was at that time president of the board of education in Cleveland. His father enlisted in 1862, in Company C, 125th O.V.I., the regiment being assigned to the Western Army. He took part with his regiment in the engagements at Missionary Ridge, Lookout Mountain, the battle above the clouds, receiving a severe wound in the last engagement, and was with General Sherman during the Atlanta campaign. In 1865, after the close of the war, he was honorably discharged at Camp Douglass, in Chicago. During his service in the war he contracted disease from exposure, and died at the Soldiers' Home in Dayton, Ohio, in 1870.
In 1872 Thomas Eagan entered the employ of the Globe Iron Works, as sand cutter in the molding shops, where he remained three years, after which he joined the tug Maggie Sanburn as fireman. In 1876 he took out papers and was appointed engineer of the tug Triad, with Capt. Joe Greenhalgh, the oldest Cleveland tug man. The next spring he shipped on the steambarge Annie M. Smith. In 1878 he went to Chicago as engineer for George P. Gillman on the tug Commodore, and later was on the Commodore Jack Barry, John Miller, and L. B. Johnson, alternately, remaining two seasons on these vessels. In 1880 he joined the Independent Tug line as engineer of the tug Commodore Jack Barry. The following spring he returned to Cleveland and shipped as second engineer on the steamer E. B. Hale. In the spring of 1892 Mr. Eagan was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Lena Knoblock, holding that berth four season. In 1886-87 he sailed as second engineer on the R. P. Rannney, and E. B. Hale, respectively, and the next seasson he was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Ossifrage, but left her on account of wages trouble before the close of the season. The propeller Minola, of the Minnesota line, was his next boat, on which he served as second engineer, with George Mason as chief.
In the spring of 1890 Mr. Eagan went tugging out of Cleveland as engineer with Capt. Charles Stickney, on the Allie May and the tugs J. D. Cushing and C. C. Curtis, remaining in that employ three years. In 1893 he again shipped as second engineer of the steamer E. B. Hale. He was on her when she was caught out in Lake Michigan during the prevalence of an eighty-four mile gale; her backbone was broken, and the officers and crew stood in great danger but succeeded in weathering the storm. In 1894 Mr. Eagan was appointed chief engineer of the steamyacht Wilbur, owned by Captain Wilbur, of the Chicago Produce Exchange. The Wilbur was the judges' boat at the time the Priscilla, then owned by Dr. Beeman, won the yacht race against the Idler, at the Milwaukee regatta. The next season he stopped ashore. In the spring of 1896, he shipped as second engineer on the steamer Minola, closing the season as second engineer on the passenger steamer Flora. In 1897, he acted as chief engineer on the tug Favorite, which he laid up at the close of the season of 1898, after running her successfully for two seasons. During his twenty-one years' experience he has never had an accident of any description.
He is a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, and resides at No. 77 Mulberry Street, Cleveland, Ohio.
ISAAC I. EATON
Isaac I. Eaton, now chief engineer of the New York Life Building, Chicago, was prominently identified with early marine affairs connected with the Great Lakes, and is widely and favorably known both on land and water. He was born in Charleston, N. Y., in 1829, a son of Isban and Belinda (Hillman) Eaton, who were born, reared and married in the Empire State, and at an early day became residents of Charleston. They afterward became pioneer settlers of Cleveland, Ohio, where the father followed the carpenter's trade until life's labors were ended. One of his sons became a member of the well-known firm of Eaton & Dean, whose car works were located in Detroit, Michigan, and who died in February 12, 1869.
Reared in Cleveland, Isaac I. Eaton learned his trade there, and first sailed out of that port in 1842 on the propeller Oneida, belonging to Pease & Allen, of Cleveland; she was lost on Lake Erie with all on board. He was next oiler on the propeller Potomac for one season; was second engineer on the propeller Cuyahoga in 1854, and in 1859 became chief engineer of her, remaining on that vessel for six seasons and running her one winter between Milwaukee and Grand Haven, Mich. After leaving the Cuyahoga, in 1862, he came to Chicago for Capt. Willie M. Egon, for whom he brought out two tugs, and then took one tug to Buffalo. He fitted up and took the tug Escanaba to Green Bay for the Chicago & Northwestern railroad, and on her engaged in tugging from Green Bay to Escanaba until 1865, when he became engineer of the tug O.B. Green, of Chicago, for one season. In 1866 he was on the propeller Ottawa, belonging to Martin Ryerson, and plying between Chicago, Muskegon, and Grand Haven. In company with others, Mr. Eaton built the tug Louie Dale, in Buffalo, and was engineer of her for six years, plying on the Chicago river. In 1871 he was made chief engineer of the Vessel Owners Towing Company, and for four years had charge of all of their boats, which he would fit up when they were brought out. He had charge of the boilers at the old Exposition, of Chicago, for four years, and then made chief engineer of the building belonging to Martin Ryerson, after which, in 1882, he accepted the position of chief engineer of Central Music Hall, remaining there until entering upon his present duties as chief engineer of the New York Life Building December 1, 1893.
In Berlin, Wis., Mr. Eaton was married in 1859, to Miss Mary Dunham, a native of Cleveland, Ohio, and to them have been born two children: William H.; and Arthur J., cashier for Parks & Wilkinson Hardware Company, Chicago.
Mr. Eaton was one of the prime movers and assisted in the organization of the Marine Engineers Association in 1867, the first meetings being held at the corner of Kinzie and Wells street, in the Newberry Building. He also belongs to Robert Fulton Lodge No. 28, Stationary Engineers; and Garden City No. 202, Royal Arcanum. He is a prominent Mason, holding membership in Cleveland Lodge No. 211, F. & A.M.; Washington Chapter No. 43, R.A.M.; Chicago Commandery No. 19, K.T.; and Siloam Council; and he is a life member of each with the exception of the Commandery.
WILLIAM N. EDDY
William N. Eddy, one of the prominent marine engineers of Chicago, and now engineer of the North Chicago Gas Works, was born in Corry, Erie Co., Penn., in February, 1858, a son of James and Sarah A. (Fisher) Eddy. The parents were both born in Pennsylvania, whence they moved to Ohio in an early day, where the father died in 1870; the mother passed away in Chicago, in 1885.
Our subject was reared in Cleveland from the age of nine years, and in 1871,when but thirteen years of age, he commenced sailing the lakes from Cleveland, his first vessel being the tug Monitor, on which he went as fireman. On her he remained two seasons, and continued on different tugs until he was twenty-one years old, at which time he secured engineer's license at Cleveland, Ohio, and went as engineer on the steamyacht James Hayes, from Buffalo to Marquette, Mich., remaining on her until September 1, of that year. He then became second engineer on the steambarge H. E. Schnoor, plying between Buffalo and Toledo, finished that season on her, and the following year was engineer of the Jessie P. Logie, out of Cleveland; the next season he went to Chicago, and was engineer on the tug Crawford for one year, and the following year became second engineer of the Rube Richards, in the iron ore trade from Escanaba to Chicago. Next year he secured a chief engineer's license, and sailed with the barge John Otis in the iron and lumber trades, one season; then ran the tug Thomas Spears from Badenock to Chicago one season, after which he was at the stock yards at Chicago one year (1886) as engineer in the electric-light plant for P. D. Armour. In 1887 he was chief engineer of the T. D. Simpson in the grain and lumber trades, and then engineer one year of the W. J. Westcott in the lumber trade from Traverse City, Mich., after which he was engineer of the D. W. Powers, in the lumber trade; then chief engineer, one year, of the Quito, owned in Cleveland in the grain and coal trades to Buffalo. Next year Mr. Eddy became engineer of the Britannic, belonging to the same line, and remained on her five years; the Argonaut, between Chicago and Buffalo, was his next boat, after which he went to Escanaba, in the iron ore trade. The following year he was engineer of the steamer Columbia, a Buffalo excursion boat, remaining with her one year. This brings us now to 1897, in which year our subject again went as engineer on the J. W. Westcott, and in the spring of 1898 he brought out the steamer Amazona, from Bay City, Mich. He fitted her out and sailed her a short time between Buffalo and Duluth, and then retired from the lakes, after about twenty years successful experience as a marine engineer. In July, 1898, he was appointed to his present responsible position, that of engineer of the North Chicago Gas Works. He is also engineer of Mr. Billings' (president of the gas company) steam yacht on Lake Geneva. Since 1882 his residence has been in Chicago. He is a member of the M. E. B. A. No. 4.
Mr. Eddy was married Chicago to Miss Lottie Ball, by which union there are two children, Loren T. and George J.
CAPTAIN JAMES EDGECOMB
Captain James Edgecomb, who is now living retired in Buffalo, was born in that city August 18, 1836, and received his education in her public schools. At the age of fourteen he shipped on the steamer Wolcott and later on the John Owen, running between Detroit and Toledo. In 1850 he went as deckhand on the Arrow, and afterward on the Southerner with his father as mate, serving in that capacity three years. In 1853-54 he worked ashore in Cleveland and the following year was employed on several vessels out of Chicago and Milwaukee. He spent much of his time at first on sailing vessels. The Captain also sailed as mate of the Tonawanda, and as second mate of the Mayflower.
In 1859 Captain Edgecomb obtained master's papers, and sailed on the propeller Nebraska, and then in the Colorado, serving as master of her for four years and as mate for two years. He then shipped as mate on the propellers Blanchard, Newburg and James Fisk, of the Union Steamboat Company, and when the Cumberland, of the Winslow line, was brought out he was placed in command. Subsequently he was transferred to the Raleigh, of the same line, as master, and in 1890 engaged in the service of the Northern Steamship Company as mate of the Northern King, in which he was employed five years. He then became mate of the Northern Light, of the same line, and while he was in this position, the boat, when at anchor in a fog on the St. Clair river, was run into by the steamer Pope, the latter striking the Northern Light on the port bow. The force of the blow carried so far to starboard that on the return roll, as she righted, Captain Edgecomb was thrown from his feet, on the bridge, sustaining several injuries to his side. This accident was the cause of his permanent retirement from the lake, after a career of nearly fifty years. He is one of the few survivors of the old lake pioneers who sailed the lakes before the rivers were bouyed or lighted. E. A. Dobbins, of well-known life-saving fame, with his personal friend, also Captain Perew, and many other prominent lake captains.
In 1864 Captain Edgecomb was married to Miss Frances Cook, daughter of Dr. Cook, of Ann Arbor, Michigan, and they reside at No. 102 Tenth street, Buffalo.
CAPTAIN DAVID F. EDWARDS
Captain David F. Edwards was born in New York City, December 20, 1819,and enjoyed his golden wedding with his estimable wife, surrounded by children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren on August 29, 1897. He is a son of John Edwards, Jr., and grandson of John Edwards, Sr., who was a son of John Edwards, a member of the House of Lords, from Montgomeryshire, Wales. His mother was Priscilla (Farrell) Edwards, daughter of William Farrell, his maternal grandmother being a Monmouth, of Monmouth county, N. J., and daughter of an officer of the Revolutionary war.
Mr. Edwards' grandfather, John Edwards, moved to the United States, in 1780, and located in New York City. He went into the scale and beam manufacturing. He was also an evangelist. He believed in preaching in the highways and hedges, and that the structure was not the church, but the people were. The Monmouths were workers of the soil. They came to the United States late in the seventeenth century, and located in what is now Monmouth county, New Jersey.
Mr. Edwards' first nautical experience was had at the age of ten years, when in 1830 he shipped as cabin boy on the bark Sarah, on a trip to Brazil. He further pursued his nautical education in the forecastle of a man-of-war, the old ironsides frigate Constitution, at the age of seventeen, after working three months at boat building. Between the years 1837 and 1840 he served on the frigate two years and eight months on the Pacific. In the fall of 1840, after returning home and being paid off, he, with two comrades, bought the schooner Volunteer, and embarked in the oyster trade on Chesapeake bay, out of Norfolk, Va. They made one successful trip to Baltimore and on returning the vessel carried away her mainmast, the wind a gale at west-northwest, and in trying to make a leeport without a mainmast the schooner was wrecked January 1, 1841, on Sandy Island bar. She broke up, and the crew got ashore in a yawlboat with some difficulty. He then joined the brig Washington, Captain Gedney, on the coast survey, and afterward continued for a season with Captain Davis in the gulf and coast survey.
He then shipped on the bark Magdala and coasted in the cotton trade. On May 20, 1846, he shipped as carpenter on the bark Grafton, Captain Abbott, out of New York for Canton and the East Indies, but did second officer's duty. In the fall of 1847 he joined the Globe as chief officer. She plied between New York, New Orleans and Galveston, transporting government stores from the seat of the Mexican war. In 1848 he returned home and worked as shipwright for William H. Webb in New York. In 1849 he went west to Milan, Ohio, near which place he built and launched the first sloop ever laid in Ohio. In 1852 Mr. Webb built the packet ship San Francisco and started her on a voyage to California. They met a gale of wind off the Bermudas, and the ship sprung her projecting guard beams and sunk. The crew and passengers were picked up by several vessels, and carried, some to England, and others to New York. The Alabama was then sent out to locate the San Francisco, Mr. Edwards going as carpenter, but the missing boat could not be found. The Alabama sprung a leak on the return voyage, and had four feet of water in her before it was discovered. She was saved only by the energy and coolness of Mr. Edwards, who took charge of the pumps for three days and nights. In 1853 Mr. Edwards went to work in the shipyard of W. H. Webb, and remained throughout the year. In 1854 he returned to Milan, Huron county, Ohio, and between the years 1854 and 1861 he built fourteen lake vessels. In 1862 he suffered an injury, which incapacitated him from work. The following year he went to Bridgeport, Ala., and took charge, as foreman, of the construction of transports and gunboats under the direction of naval constructor Alvin A. Turner, for the Army of Tennessee. In 1864 he went to Toledo, Ohio, and built the yacht Nomad, the first boat of this kind owned in Toledo. In 1868 he removed his family to Toledo, Ohio, and built a homestead for himself, where he and his family reside at 443 West Lafayette street. In 1873 he built the schooner St. Peter at Toledo, which was wrecked in 1898 on Lake Ontario, and the next year, 1874, the Emma Thompson at Saginaw, Mich. In 1875-76 he built two schooners and a tug at the Portage.
In 1877 Mr. Edwards helped as foreman to build two sections of the Bay bridge for the Sandusky division of the Lake Shore railroad. He then worked in his shop for a number of years, being engaged in building yachts, etc. He also built trucks for the United States Express Company. In 1893 he built the yacht Neptune. He then took his family to Kansas City on a visit, remaining almost the year. In the fall of 1894 he returned to Toledo, since which time he has been engaged in yacht, railway and shop work. His shop is located on Swan creek, opposite the foot of Division street.
On August 29, 1847, Mr. Edwards was united in marriage to Miss Mary J. Logan, daughter of William Logan, of New York City. The children born to this union were: Leah F., now Mrs. Selden M. Clark; and William F., deceased. The grandchilden are Henry E., Pauline (Burget), and Orson B. Clark; and the great-grandchildren are David F., George B. and Harry T. Clark. Mr. Edwards is a Master Mason, and a member of the I.O.O.F.
CAPTAIN M. L. EDWARDS
Captain M.L. Edwards, who is the son of Capt. Joseph and Amy Johnston Edwards, was born May 26, 1852, in Manitowoc, Wis. His father, who was a master and owner of lake vessels for many years, was born in Jersey City, N.J., in 1801, and his mother was a native of New York City, born in 1804. The grandparents were natives of New England.
Captain Joseph Edwards built the first fishing boat, the first scow and the first tug ever constructed in Manitowoc and sailed them. He was also master of several other vessels. In 1861, during the war of the Rebellion, leaving home, wife and children, he enlisted in the Thirty-second Wis. Vol. Inf., and took an honorable part with his regiment in the battles around Vicksburg and Cold Springs, with Gen. Tecumseh Sherman, under whom he also participated in his march to the sea, joining in all of the battles of that famous campaign at Resaca, Big Shanty, Lookout Mountain, Kenesaw, Dallas, Atlanta and Savannah. He was also in the invasion of North and South Carolina, his last battle being at Bentonville, N.C. Among the trophies he secured was a drum captured from the enemy, which is held by the family as an heirloom. The sons of the family who were sailors and warriors were Capt. Henry Edwards, who sailed the schooner Citizen, the Convoy, Clipper City, Transit, C.L. Johnson (now the C.Y.M.Z.A.) and other vessels; his death occurred at Pine Lake, Wis. Capt. Daniel Edwards, who now owns and sails vessels at Santiago, Cal., was for a time in the employ of the Lake Navigation Company and he also sailed the schooners Belle, Fox, brig Coral, Black Hawk, and Rock Mountain; he enlisted in a Wisconsin battery of artillery and served with credit throughout the Civil war. Joseph, another captain, commanded among other vessels the schooner Sea Gem, Gertrude, Two Charlies, El Tempo and Driver, and the tugs Cyclone, Arctic and Gregory; he also took up arms for the Union, having enlisted in a Wisconsin calvary regiment; he has retired from active duty. Capt. Perry Edwards, the fourth son, enlisted in the Ninteenth Wis. Vol. Inf., and served until the close of the war, and it may be observed here that the mother had a son to represent her in each branch of the great army of the North, calvary, infantry and artillery; Perry was also a lake captain and sailed the schooners Blue Bell, Eclipse, Cuyahoga and Australia, the tug Arctic for the Goodrich line, and was in the steamer T.S. Faxton a short time.
Capt. Milton L. Edwards, the fifth son in the family, was too young to go to war. He attended school at Manitowoc until 1864, when he shipped on the schooner Adele, trading to Green Bay, and he subsequently sailed in the Royal, Grace Greenwood, Monarch, King Sisters and Arnold, at the age of seventeen serving as master of the schooner C.L. Johnson alternately with his brother Henry. In the spring of 1870 he was appointed to the command of the schooner Ben Moe, which he sailed three seasons, and he sailed his next boat, the Evaline, for two seasons. In 1870 he purchased a half-interest in the scow Selma, sailing her until the fall of 1877, when he sold his interest and went to the Black Hills to seek for gold. On his return to the lakes in the spring of 1878 he was appointed master of the schooner Ithaca, following with two seasons as master of the schooner Gen. Franz Sigel and two seasons on the Oliver Culver. In 1883 he bought the schooner Cascade and sailed her two seasons. He was then appointed master of the John Kelderhouse, holding that berth until 1887, when he was appointed keeper of the lightship Cascade, anchored off Chicago harbor, and after serving in that capacity two years he took her as master and sailed her successfully until 1895, when he sold her. For the following two years he was in the employ of the city of Chicago as keeper of the Lake View water works crib, and in 1897 he purchased the schooner West Side, which he has sailed up to this writing. He has eight issues of master's papers. Socially the Captain is a Royal Arch Mason of Corinthian Chapter and a Master Mason of Covenant Lodge, of Chicago.
In 1878 Captain Edwards wedded Miss Minnie Stone, daughter of Capt. Richard and Elizabeth (Brooks) Stone, of Chicago, and the children born to this union are Addison K., Wilbur F., Harvey B., Mattie E., Irene A. and Erma L. The family make their home at No. 675 Osgood street, Chicago, Illinois.
CAPTAIN HIRAM C. ELDREDGE
Captain Hiram C. Eldredge, son of Alonzo and Mary J. Eldredge, was born in Cleveland, Ohio, February 25, 1853. He attended the public schools of his native city until he reached the age of fourteen, going through the grammar grade. In 1867 he commenced his life on the lakes with Captain Cowley as boy on the schooner Sutler Girl, remaining two years, and in 1869 shipped before the mast on the topsail schooner Ellen White. The following year he was employed on a railroad running into Cleveland. In 1871 he shipped for part of the season, as seaman on the schooner E. R. Turner, then finishing on the schooner Jamaica. In 1872 he was appointed second mate on the schooner Ida Keith, remaining on her all season. In 1873 he shipped as mate on the Wagstaff, closing the season on the Ahira Cobb before the mast. The next spring he was appointed mate of the Samuel J. Tilden, retaining that office until the close of navigation. In the forepart of the season of 1875 he was wheelsman on the Comet, and while in that capacity lost the little finger on his left hand, and during the remainder of the season of 1875 he served as wheelsman on the Cormorant. Afterward he occupied different positions on various vessels until 1880, when he was appointed mate of the schooner, Selkirk, closing the season on the schooner Sweetheart, afterward lost on Lake Huron. In 1881 he filled berths on different vessels, and in 1882 was appointed mate of the schooner Camden, remaining with her one season. In 1883 he superintended the working of the derricks at the construction of the "Stillman Hotel" in Cleveland, Ohio. >From 1884 to 1890 he sailed as mate of different vessels, going as mate of the schooner Niagara during the latter season, after which he was appointed master of the steamer Saginaw, remaining in this office one season. He was appointed master of the schooner Josephine, and followed that service by a season as pilot of the yacht Wadena. In 1894 he sailed the V. Swain a part of the season, it being afterward burned. In 1895 he came out in the Victory, built at South Chicago, and in 1896 shipped as mate of the steamer R. E. Schuck, closing the season as mate of the steamer Frontenac. During the season of 1897 he officiated as mate on the steamer R. P. Ranney, then sailed southwest for a time; early in 1898 he started out on the steamer Hesper, later joining the steamer Superior, which sprang a leak and was laid by for repairs August 28, finishing upon the steamer A. J. Lindsay, from which boat he made the attempt to reach saltwater. He is a member of the Ship Masters Association and carries Pennant No. 952. He is also a member of the Odd Fellows fraternity.
Captain Eldredge was united in marriage to Miss Frances A. Bell, of Cleveland, formerly of Dexter, Maine. There have been born to this union three children: Herbert C., Burnette Chester and Mertis Bell, all of whom attend the excellent public schools of Cleveland. The family resides at No. 74 Tennessee Street, Cleveland, Ohio.
CAPTAIN THOMAS A. ELLERY
Captain Thomas A. Ellery, master of the J.E. Mills, is a man of great experience in his chosen calling, and is well acquainted with the lakes and all the marine industries pertaining thereto. He was born in Vermont, May 20, 1837, and when three months old was taken by his parent to Fort Henry, N.Y., where he lived for about ten years, and spent the following five years in Hamilton, London, and Chatham, Canada. At the end of that time he removed to Port Huron, Mich., and in that place and vicinity he has since lived, making his home at present at Marysville, Michigan.
In the spring of 1853, when sixteen years of age, Captain Ellery turned his attention to marine pursuits, to which he has since devoted his entire life. He first went on the schooner Eugene, which was wrecked on Lake Huron, after he had made a trip and a half; his second position was on the Lady Jane as cook and before the mast. While on that boat the captain was taken suddenly ill, and our subject was placed in command, filling the position so well that he was retained in the place, and has since been master of vessels. He was next on the schooner Trader, but remained there only a part of a season, going finally on the Baltic. He sailed the Star for some time, and was later on the Erie as mate and pilot. The following two years were spent in command of the Mary Williams, after which he was on the Dial for a part of a season.
During this time, Captain Ellery, with Jed Spaulding, purchased the sloop Emma, and after converting her into a schooner, sailed her for two seasons. They then bought the brig Preble, which they later sold, and Captain Ellery then purchased the L.S. Noble, which he subsequently sold, when he purchased the William R. Hanna. In 1870 he entered the employ of N. & B. Mills, of Marysville, with whom he remained for some eighteen years, sailing on different boats belonging to the company, with the exception of one season, when he sailed the R.J. Gibbs from Cleveland to Montreal, in the grindstone trade. Captain Ellery bought the Nelson Mills, which he commanded one season, and the season of 1872 was spent on the Mary Mills, and 1873 on the Leader. He was then on Point Avenue until 1882, when he took command of the J.E. Mills, which had just been constructed and which he has since sailed, being a fourth-owner in the same. In the fall of 1884, the boat, containing a part of a load of coal, was frozen in Maumee bay, so that Captain Ellery, his mate and engineer remained upon it all winter, obtaining provisions from Manhattan by means of hand sleds. This was a thrilling experience, but with great care the boat was preserved from total destruction, to which it seemed destined.
On July 11, 1857, the Captain was married to Miss Amelia Hallinan, of Port Huron, Mich. They have six children, namely: Amelia, Jennie, Estella, Herbert William, Arthur J. and Grace.
Captain Ellery's marine career has been a remarkable one, in that during the forty-three years that he has sailed upon the lakes he has never lost a single season. For a great many years he spent the winters in shipbuilding. He is an honored member of the Ship Masters Association, also of the Order of the Maccabees and the Foresters, and has hosts of friends both on water and on shore.
CAPTAIN DORIN ELLIOTT
Captain Dorin Elliott, whose long and varied experience in large raft-towing tugs, had made him one of the most prominent captains on the lakes in the handling of enormous rafts, is still a comparatively young man, having been born August 28, 1863, at Port Burwell, Ontario, a son of John and Amanda (Matthews) Elliott. His father was master and owner of several vessels, among which were the Canadian schooners Burlington and J. B. Skinner, fine boats in their day. He retired from active life on shipboard in 1860, and ten years later removed with his family to the United States, locating in Augres, Mich., where he died in the year 1891. His other sons are, Frank, who is master of the steamer John Spry, of Chicago, and David, master of the tug Robert Emmet, owned by Captain Boutell, of Bay City. The mother is still living in Augres.
After acquiring a public-school education in Augres, Capt. Dorin Elliott shipped as watchman on the tug Waldo Avery, closing the season in her as wheelsman, which berth he held until the fall of 1880. The next season he entered the employ of Mitchell & Boutell as mate on the tug Annie Moiles two seasons. In the spring of 1885 he shipped as watchman and wheelsman in the tug Music, followed by a season in the steamer Burlington in the same capacity. In the spring of 1888 he again entered the employ of Captain Boutell as master of the Annie Moiles, remaining in her two seasons. He then sailed the tug Acme, formerly the Music, for the Michigan Log Towing Company, until October 14, 1893, when she foundered about twenty-five miles from Thunder Bay, Lake Huron, this being the same day that the Wocoken and the Dean Richmond and several other schooners went down, involving great loss of life. It was thought that the loss of the Acme was occasioned by the breaking of the feed pipe; she was attached to a 5,000,000-feet raft. The crew were rescued by the Canadian tug Reliance. In 1894 he shipped as mate of the steamer Minnie E. Kelton, owned by Capt. P. C. Smith, of Bay City, and the next season he was transferred to the lake tug Peter Smith, as master. In the spring of 1896 Captain Elliott was appointed master of the steamer Germania, and the next season master of the steamer Robert Holland. In the spring of 1898 he was assigned to the command of the large lake steamtug Boscobel, the flag-ship of Boutell & Smith's fine fleet.
Socially, he is a Master Mason of Winona Lodge No. 256, West Bay City, Mich., and a member of the Independent Order of Foresters.
On December 7, 1892, Captain Dorin Elliot(sic) was wedded to Miss May, daughter of George White, of West Bay City, Mich., to which union one daughter, Gertrude, has been born. The family homestead is at No. 406 South Henry street, West Bay City, Michigan.
CAPTAIN EBENEZER ELLIOTT
Captain Ebenezer Elliott, of Cleveland, was a well-known lake navigator half a century ago, sailing many vessels during the time he was in service. He was born in 1813 in Toronto, Canada, from which place his parents removed to Oswego, N. Y., while he was an infant, and he attended school in that city, later becoming a ship carpenter in the yards there.
In 1843 Captain Elliott commenced sailing, removing that year with the family to Cleveland for the purpose of entering the shipyard of Stevens & Presley. Among other vessels he commanded the steamers Champlain, Vermont and Boston, of the Northern Transportation Company. In the spring of the last year that he sailed he contracted a severe cold, during exposure in bad weather, and he resigned his position on reaching port, intending to remain on shore thereafter. He soon went to work in a shipyard in Cleveland, where he was found later in the season by Captain Marshall, an old-time friend and shipmate, who desired him to sail the remainder of the year as mate of the propeller Bay State, of the Northern Transportation line, of which he (Marshall) was master, promising him the Bay State to sail the following year. Captain Elliott yielded to his friend's importunities and became mate of the vessel, which never reached the home port again, being lost with all hands about three weeks later, on November 3, 1863.
Captain Elliott was married in 1836 to Miss Mary Ann Brush, of Clayton, N. Y. Their living children are: Cornelia, now the wife of Phineas Locklin, a small boat-builder of Cleveland; Adonijah, a manufacturer of Chicago; Lottie, now the wife of E. W. Prince, of Cleveland, and Anna B., widow of W. H. Rodda, of Detroit. Another son, George, died at an early age.
CAPTAIN FRANK ELLIOTT
Captain Frank Elliott is a descendant of an old family of master mariners who have sailed the lakes for many years, and he also has attained much renown as a successful shipmaster, having commenced his lakefaring life when but a boy thirteen years of age. He was born in Port Burwell, Ont., on January 28, 1862, son of John and Amanda (Matthews) Elliott, who came to the United States in 1865, locating in Bay City, Mich. The father was master and owner of many vessels, among them the brig Burlington, schooner J. B. Skinner and others, mention of which have been made elsewhere.
Frank Elliott, after attending the schools of Bay City until 1875, gained his early experience in sailing on various yachts, some of which he owned, notably the Swan. In the spring of 1880 he shipped as wheelsman on the steamer Waldo Avery with Capt. S. Stratton, later receiving promotion to the office of mate and remaining in her three seasons. In 1883 he was appointed master of the tug Rumage, which he sailed two seasons, and his next boat was the Ella Smith, following which he was on the Sarah Smith, Annie Moiles and Peter Smith. In the spring of 1893 Captain Elliot was appointed master of the steamer Manistique, which he sailed two seasons, succeeding in 1895 to the command of the tug Niagara, and closing that season in the George W. Morley. In the spring of 1896 he entered the employ of Capt. B. Boutell as master of the steamer Boscobel, and sailed her until September, 1897, when he resigned to take charge of the steamer John Spry, owned by the John Spry Lumber Company, which he has since commanded, laying her up at the close of navigation in 1898. Captain Elliott socially is a thirty-second-degree Mason, having passed through all the subordinate degrees. In all of his experience as master of steamboats he has been exceedingly fortunate, never having lost a man or vessel. His home port is Bay City, Michigan.
William Elliott has, perhaps, more experience as an engineer of steamers navigating the lakes during the winter months than has fallen to the lot of any other member of his profession. He has been found equal to the most trying emergencies, and has the persistent Scotch courage to face them. He was born May 16, 1847, the son of Thomas and Mary Ann (Lorain) Elliott, of Dumfriesshire, Scotland. The family removed to America in 1852, first making a home at Beverly, Ont., where they remained about three years, going thence to Sarawak, where they located a homestead and there the father died. After her bereavement the mother joined one of the children at Owen Sound, Ontario.
William Elliott began the battle of life early, his schoolboy days being limited to a few years at Syrawack, Ont. After leaving school he eventually found his way to Michigan and entered the employ of the Phoenix Iron Works Company, at Port Huron, as an apprentice to the machinist's trade, and in four years, by close attention to the different phases of the business, became competent to hold a place on the floor of any machine shop. He then worked at the trade in other shops until 1872, when he applied for and was granted marine engineer's license. He then shipped as second engineer in the steamer Mary Mills, holding that berth two years, and in the spring of 1874 he was promoted to the office of chief on the same boat, running her three seasons. He then entered the employ of the Port Huron & Sarnia Ferry Co., and was appointed chief engineer of the side-wheel steamer Sarnia, and during the time he was with that company he was chief of the steamers O. M. Conger, James Beard and J. L. Beckwith, successively. His next billet was in the steamer Henry Howard, of which he was chief engineer two seasons. In the spring of 1886 Commodore B. B. Inman, who had become possessed of a strong fleet of tugs operating at Duluth, sent for Mr. Elliott to become chief engineer of the line, which consisted of the tugs John L. Williams, Walton B., Record, David Sutton, Mary Virginia, O. W. Cheney and the steamer Ossifrage, running each of these boats as occasion required and looking after all repairs necessary to their machinery during the three years he remained in that employ. During the winter months of each year he took charge of the steamer M. F. Merrick, chartered by the Grand Trunk Railroad Company as an ice breaker. In the spring of 1889 Mr. Elliott was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Ogemaw, operated by the Michigan Salvage & Wrecking Co, of Detroit, and ran her two years, and in 1891 he became chief of the steamer Osceola, plying winters between Port Huron and Washburn. It was in the spring of 1892 that he entered the employ of the Toledo, Ann Arbor & Northern Michigan railroad as chief engineer of the car ferry Ann Arbor No. 1, bringing her out new and remaining in her until September, 1895, when he transferred to the car ferry steamer Shenango No. 1, closing the year with her. In the spring of 1896 he transferred to the Shenango No. 1, both operated by the United States & Ontario Navigation Co., but later being chartered by the Detroit, Grand Rapids & Western railroad.
Mr. Elliott confines his social society interests to the beneficial order of the Knights of the Maccabees.
On July 4, 1871, Mr. Elliott was wedded to Miss Truey A., daughter of Uriah Foster of Port Huron, Mich. The children born to this union are: Thomas W., who is second engineer of the steamer Bulgaria; Mary A., wife of Samuel Sylvester, now second engineer of the Shenango No. 2; Rachael S., wife of George A. Collinge, chief engineer of the Shenango No. 1; and Anna and Eliza, the school girls of the family at this time. The family homestead is at Conneaut Harbor, Ohio.
WILLIAM E. ELLIOTT
William E. Elliott is a skilled mechanic, and a man who has advanced by merit to the position of chief engineer of the Goodrich Transportation Company, a line of passenger steamers operating out of Chicago, comprising a fleet of nine vessels. He won the confidence of Capt. A.E. Goodrich, the founder of the line, many years ago, and retained the same up to the time of the demise of that gentleman. When the management passed into the hands of his son, A.W. Goodrich, Mr. Elliott was continued in his repsonsible position. He was born in Nottinghamshire, England, in 1840, and came to the United States in 1854, with his parents, locating in London, Canada, where he attended the public schools. In 1855 he entered the employ of the Great Western Rairoad Company as an apprentice to the coppersmith's and machinist's trade, remaining with that company six years, and becoming a skilled workman in every respect. When he reached his majority he went to Detroit, Mich., and was employed by the Detroit Locomotive Works for two years.
It was in July, 1863, that Mr. Elliott determined to follow the lakes, his first berth being assistant engineer in the new steamer Reindeer, plying on the Saginaw river, and he worked on her machinery when building in the shop the early part of the season. The next spring he was appointed assistant engineer of the steamship Milwaukee, plying between Grand Haven and Milwaukee. In the spring of 1865 he entered the employ of the Ward line as chief engineer of the steamer Reindeer, retaining that office until the new steamer Marine City was completed, when he took charge of her machinery. When the Goodrich Trans-portation Company purchased the steamer Alpena, Mr. Elliott was appointed chief, and ran her that season, and in the spring of 1868 removed to Milwaukee, and in 1894 to Chicago, where he has made his home ever since, remaining in the employ of the Goodrich Transportation Company thirty-one consecutive years. After passing four seasons in the steamer Sheboygan, as chief engineer, he was appointed chief engineer of the line, and if occasion requires he engineers other steamers. His duties consist in superintending the construction of the engines and machinery and bringing out the new steamers for the company, and he also has general supervision of the machinery of all the boats of the fleet.
Mr. Elliott is a close student of the modern theory and practice of marine engineering, and is a member of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, the American Society of Naval Engineers, and of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association. He has held the office of national vice-president and president of No. 9, of Milwaukee, several terms, and has also represented that body as delegate to many of its annual conventions. His home is at No. 886 Warren avenue, Chicago, Illinois.
FRANK S. ELLIS
Frank S. Ellis is a young man who has chosen the marine life for his occupation, and thus far has made considerable progress in that line of work. He was born March 19, 1869, at Corunna, Ontario, and at that place lived until he reached his nineteenth year. He then went to Detroit and after taking a business course at that place, took a position as book-keeper, which he held for only a short time when his health failed and he shipped on the Servia, where he served four years as watchman, wheelsman and finally as second mate. From this vessel he came on the George F. Williams, and remained two years as second mate, coming on the Mesaba, in 1896, as second mate.
Mr. Ellis is a single man, the son of Capt. Thomas C. Ellis, who has been on the lakes for many years, and is well known to all marine men.
CAPTAIN THOMAS C. ELLIS
Captain Thomas C. Ellis was born April 28, 1842, in Wakefield, England, a son of Henry and Elizabeth (Clayton) Ellis, both natives of England. Henry Ellis came to America, and here passed the greater part of his life, dying December 22, 1895, at Mooretown, Ontario, having spent about forty years of his life on the lakes.
A desire for marine life was early manifest in Thomas C. Ellis, and he sailed on the schooner Dan Marble, of Detroit, having previously spent considerable time with his father on different boats. On the Marble he acted as boy only a short time, and was soon made able seaman, in which capacity he served throughout the season. He then came on the pro-peller Globe and acted as wheelsman two years, after which he entered the employ of the government and came on the survey boat Search, engaged in making maps and marine charts. Upon this boat he remained two years, acting as wheelsman and leadsman. In 1862 he came to Detroit, and for twelve years was employed on different tugs between Lake Huron and Erie, being mate on the City of Tawas, Stranger, J.P. Clark and Castle. At this time he shipped on another survey boat called the Ada, and there remained one season, then coming on the Nelson Mills, where he acted as second mate and afterward as mate. He then sailed on the Yosemite of Sandusky two years, and afterward came on the Birkhead and Tempest as mate. The following season was spent on the Dayton as master, and next year he brought out new the William A. Young. He then entered the employ of Hawgood & Avery, of Cleveland, and sailed the Belle Cross two years, then coming to the Servia, upon which he remained seven years. In 1894 he came on the George F. Williams, and has there remained in command to the present season.
On April 5, 1870, Captain Ellis was married to Miss Ellen Ward, of Kalamazoo, Mich. They have four children: Frank, who acted as second mate on the Masaba the present season; Arthur R., who is employed with the W. Bingham Company, in Cleveland; and Edith M. and John Henry, who are in school. In social life Captain Ellis is well known, being a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Ship Masters Association.
William England is a representative marine engineer, and though he owns an interest in other tugs, he holds the position of engineer of the S.C. Schenck, which at one time was the finest and most powerful tug on the lakes. Mr. England was born at Amherstburg, Ontario, December 28, 1854, son of William and Sarah (Sprague) England, and acquired his education in the public schools of his native town. After leaving school he passed some months on the Detroit river, and in the spring of 1868, at the age of fourteen years, he shipped on the river tug Bob Anderson, owned by Mr. DeMas of Detroit. He was subsequently engaged on the John Martin, of the Livingston line, the Eclipse, and numerous other boats. In the spring of 1873 Mr. England shipped as engineer on the William Jennings, the dredge company using the tug in many localities around the lakes, and continued in this employ for four years. In 1877 he went to Toledo, Ohio, where he was appointed to the tug Syracuse, transferring to the A. Andrews and Baker the same season. The next season he engineered the tug George P. Isham, in 1879 the tug Farragut, and in 1880 the tug Thomas. In the spring of 1881 Mr. England purchased a third-interest in the tug Syracuse and had charge of her machinery the six years prior to 1887, when he sold his share and bought into the tug A. Andrews, Jr., which he also ran for six years. In 1893 he bought an interest in the tug Fannie L. Baker, which he still holds. In 1894 he was induced to leave his own boat to take charge of the machinery of the tug S.C. Schenck, then the most powerful tug on the lakes; she is a grand ice crusher and does the greater part of the outside work at Toledo harbor. Mr. England profited much by the experience he had during the ten winters he was in the employ of the Michigan Central railroad, as engineer of their carferries, and he can handle the Schenck in the ice to the best advantage. He has nineteen issues of marine engineer's license. He is a man well versed in his line, and is held in high esteem by all who come into business or friendly relations with him.
In 1883 Mr. England was united in marriage with Miss Cecilia Churchill, daughter of J. Churchill, of Detroit, and three children were born to this union: William Cecil, Jessie and Ethel. Mrs. England departed this life July 30, 1896, after a lingering illness of six years. The family residence is at No. 730 Stickney avenue, Toledo, Ohio.
CAPTAIN C. G. ENNIS
Captain C.G. Ennis is a representative steamboat master, an amateur marine artist of genius and fame, a whole-souled, even-tempered man of grand physique, who sailed successfully the largest freight boat on the lakes, the steel steamer Sir William Fairbairn, 440 feet over all. The Captain is the seventh son of a seventh son, and is six feet, three and a half inches high. His father, Clinton Ennis, an old pioneer along the Vermilion river, was six feet, seven and three-fourths inches tall in his stocking feet. His mother, Charlotte (Reed) Ennis, came of a good family, and was a woman of fine presence.
Captain Ennis was born at Birmingham, Erie Co., Ohio, in 1846, and was educated at the district schools of his native town. In 1858 he ran away from home and shipped out of Vermilion with Capt. Joe Moffet, on the schooner F. T. Barney, putting in two seasons in her, the second as seaman. In 1860 he passed the season on the schooner Grace Greenwood, the bark E. Conway, and the brig Isabella, as seaman; in 1861-62 he was on the schooner King Sisters, the last season as second mate with Capt. Smith Moore. In 1863 he shipped with Captain Fitzgerald on the bark Hans Crocker, as second mate, and in 1864 served in the same capacity with Capt. John Moore in the bark Major Anderson. In the spring of 1865 he enlisted in the Ninety-eighth P. V. I., stationed at Danville, N. C., and served until the close of the war, being mustered out at Mt. Pleasant hospital. He returned to his native town, Birmingham, and not long afterwards went to Iowa and bought a farm near Strawberry point, purchased a yoke of oxen and a plow, and went to farming. In the late spring he made his oxen fast to the plow, and drove them into a yellow-jacket's nest. They walked all over the nest, then unshipped the plow and ran away, and Captain Ennis let go the lines and headed for home.
Returning to the lakes, he found that Capt. Smith Moore was in need of a good mate, and he served with him that summer on the schooner Massillon. His next venture was on a fishing expedition with small boats among the Apostle Island, but although the party remained faithfully all summer they did not acquire much wealth. In 1867 he shipped in the schooner Thomas Quayle as second mate for the season; in 1868 again went with Capt. Smith Moore in the Massillon; in 1869 served with Captain Trinter on the H. J. Webb, with Capt. George Judson in the H. F. Tilden, and finally with Capt. Peter Minch in the I. W. Nicholas as second mate. In 1870 he came out as mate on the Brightie, a new vessel and the largest on the lakes at that time; in 1871 he went as second mate on the steamer Horace B. Tuttle, closing the season as mate, and he remained on her five seasons in that capacity. The Tuttle, built by Ira La Frinier, was the first steambarge on the lakes. In 1876 Captain Ennis was appointed master of the schooner George H. Ely, on which he remained five years; in 1881 was master of the steamer Horace B. Tuttle; in 1882 of the schooner M. R. Warner; in 1883 of the schooner James Couch; in 1884 of the James Pickands; in 1885 shipped as mate on the steamer Smith Moor, and closed the season as her master; in 1886 he fitted out the N. K. Fairbanks at Duluth; in 1887 was master of the Frank Perew part of the season, finishing on the Jim Sheriffs; in 1888 he came out on the steamer James Pickands as mate, and continued on her throughout 1889, closing the latter season as master. In the spring of 1890 he went to Detroit and brought out the steamer Lansing, which he sailed for six years as master. In 1896 he was given command of the large new steel steamer Sir William Fairbairn, 440 feet over all, the largest of the Rockefeller fleet. She and her consort brought down on one trip 10,500 tons of ore. Captain Ennis laid her up at Ashtabula harbor at the close of navigation, and resumed command in the spring of 1897. He belongs to the Ship Masters Association, and carries Pennant No. 272.
Captain Ennis was united in marriage in 1866, to Miss Ridella Wiltse, daughter of Dr. Wiltse, of Strawberry Point, Iowa. One son has been born to this union, Claude Melnot, who was master of the steambarge M. D. Neff during the season of 1896. The family residence is in Scott street, Cleveland, and is surrounded by many evidences of prosperity. The walls are adorned with many marine pictures from the brush of the Captain; in one room he has painted a border, about two feet deep from the ceiling, representing the lakes and the boats (both steam and sail) in the chronological order in which he became master of them. They are all life-like, natural and well executed.
CAPTAIN CLAUDE M. ENNIS
Captain Claude M. Ennis, son of Capt. Clinton and Ridella Ennis, was born at Birmingham, Ohio, in 1871. He attended the public schools, finishing his education in the Spencerian Business College, in Cleveland, which he attended two winters. He commenced sailing in the summer months as boy on the schooner M. R. Warner, was seaman one season, and followed this service by a season on the steamer Horace B. Tuttle as watchman. In 1883 he was appointed second mate on the schooner James Couch, remaining one season, and in 1884 he filled the berth of wheelsman on the steamer James Pickands, the following season holding the same position on the steamer Smith Moore. In 1886 he shipped as mate on the schooner Frank Perew, and in 1887 on the steamer James Pickands as wheelsman, continuing for two seasons in that berth. In 1890 he was made second mate of the steamer Lansing, with which he also remained two seasons. In 1892 he went to Chicago and superintended the construction of eight steam passenger boats during the progress of the World's Fair, built to the order of Ellis R. Meeker, of Boston, under the firm name of the World's Fair Steam Yacht Concession, to operate in connection with the Fair. He then had the management of the line and sailed the Portland. Returning to Cleveland in 1893, Captain Ennis sailed the tugs Allie May and Blazier for that season. In 1894-95 he shipped as mate on the steamer Lansing, and in 1896 as master of the steambarge M. C. Neff, trading between Lake Superior, Georgian Bay and Ohio ports, laying his boat up at the close of navigation in Cleveland harbor. Captain Ennis is a young master but he has given good satisfaction to the owners of the various boats in which he has sailed.
William Erskine, superintending engineer of the large planing-mill of Lee, Holland & Co., Buffalo, N. Y., is a native of Glasgow, Scotland, having been born in that city October 31, 1850. His father, William Erskine, married Ellen Spears, in their native country, and they came to the United States about the year 1886, making their home in Buffalo, where they still reside.
Our subject's early education was obtained in his native place, and he also spent seven years there learning the machinist's trade. At the age of twenty-one years he came to Buffalo, and began by working here at his trade in Bell's machine shop, where he continued one year. In the spring of 1873 he began life on the lakes as oiler on the steamer China, of the old Anchor line, where he remained one season. He followed this with one season in the India, transferring from that boat to the Gordon Campbell as chief engineer, in which berth he remained for three years, and then went for four years as chief of the Delaware. His last employment was with the Anchor line as chief engineer of the Susquehanna, on which he served three years, thus making sixteen years in all in their employ. For the two years following he had charge of the Three Canals and Free Trade elevators. For seven winters during his employment with the Anchor line he superintended the repairing and overhauling of steam canal-boats in New York, New Jersey and Brooklyn.
In the fall of 1888 Mr. Erskine went into the Northern Light, of the Northern Steamship Company, and in the spring of 1889 fitted her out and engineered her until July 3, 1890. On July 5, 1890, he was transferred to the Northern King, was aboard of her two trips, and then went into the Northern Queen, where he remained the balance of that season and part of 1892. On September 15, 1892, he took charge of the machinery of the Cayuga, finishing the season in that boat, and making extensive repairs on her. He then came to work for Lee, Holland & Co., in their extensive planing-mill, and has remained with them continuously up to the present time. During his stay with them he has made extensive alterations in their machinery department, and will undoubtedly remain on shore and in his present employment the balance of his life.
Mr. Erskine was married in New York City, March 23, 1876, to Ellen McClelland, who was also born in Glasgow. Their children are as follows: Nellie, Agnes, Frank, Donald Bernard and James William. The latter is seventeen years of age, and is learning his trade in Trout's machine shop. Mr. Erskine is a Master Mason, a member of Erie Lodge No. 161, and for over eighteen years has been a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, also member of the Stationary Engineers Association No. 50. Mr. Erskine has one of the most responsible positions of its kind in the city of Buffalo, New York.
CAPTAIN HENRY ESFORD
Captain Henry Esford, master and pilot of the steamer Corsican, one of the Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co.'s fleet plying between Montreal and Toronto, is a young man whose innate genius and carefulness have worked him up to a responsible position. Captain Edford was born on November 17, 1855, at Barriefield, near Kingston, Ontario, his father being Thomas Esford, a blacksmith at Barriefield.
Capt. Henry Esford received a sound education in the public schools of his native town, and when he was sixteen years of age he began an apprenticeship to one of Kingston's prominent cord wainers. Not caring for that business, however, young Esford abandoned it after serving nine months and went sailing in 1872, when he was seventeen years of age. The first boat on which he sailed was the steamer Spartan, belonging to the Richelieu & Ontario line, and on her he shipped before the mast. For thirteen years Captain Esford remained in the Spartan, and had advanced to the position of mate before the time had expired. He left her in 1885, becoming mate on the Richelieu & Ontario Co.'s steamer Magnet, running between Charlotte, N.Y., and Prescott, on the St. Lawrence River, for two years. During all those years he had become particularly familiar with the channels in the St. Lawrence Rapids, and qualified as one of the best pilots on the river. Time went on, and it was in the year 1888 that he took the position of pilot on the steamer Passport, and remained with her about five years, when he was changed to the steamer Spartan as mate and pilot. He sailed the Spartan for one season, and then took charge of the steamer Corsican, in which vessel he has been ever since. During the first two years in the Corsican he was master, and after that he became both captain and master. Captain Esford is also his own pilot in the rapids of the St Lawrence River. That he is a valued navigator is evidenced by the fact that he has been in the employ of the Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co. for twenty-four years.
Not only is Captain Esford a lake captain, he is also a military captain, having passed examination with honors in the Royal Military College at Kingston, when he was eighteen years of age.
On May 4, 1877, Captain Esford was married to Miss Sarah Batten, daughter of George Batten, and youngest sister of Capt. George Batten of Kingston. Six children have been born to them, five of whom are living: (1) Edith, the eldest daughter, is a clever young woman who took a diploma in 1895 at the Kingston Business College, after a thorough training in the public schools of Barriefield and in the high schools of Kingston. (2) Louise is attending high school at Kingston. (3) Bertha is studying in Central school in Kingston, preparatory to taking a high-school course. (4) Olive has begun her education in the public schools of Barriefield, and all the daughters, especially Edith (Mrs. Tisdale), are expert pianists. (5) Youngest of all is Master Clifford Henry, the only boy in the family, and his father's namesake; though scarcely five years old, he already shows a fondness for the water. Lowell followed Olive in the order of birth but she died at the age of two and one-half years.
Conservative in politics, Captain Esford has taken at times considerable interest in the election of members to the Dominion House of Commons. During several contests he was political agent for Sir George Kirkpatrick, and was principal scrutineer in the election of 1896 at the polls in Barriefield. Religiously, Captain Esford bears allegiance to the Church of England. He is also a prominent member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
One of the most exciting episodes in the career of Captain Esford was the burning of the Richelieu & Ontario steamer Corinthian, which happened down the St. Lawrence River in the Coteau Rapids, in 1893. There were ninety passengers on board, and an immense quantity of baggage when the fire broke out. Whilst the vessel is running the Rapids every man of the crew is required to handle the boat, and at that hour there were four men at the wheel, four at the tiller while the others were trimming the baggage, so that no person was left aft, when the fire broke out in the dining room, supposed to have originated through the explosion of a lamp on the carving stand. Seeing that the fire could not be gotten under control Captain Esford ordered the boats to be launched, and by the time that was done he had four lifeboats strung ready to lower into the water. Gang planks were run from the ship to the boats and from the boats to the land, and all the passengers and baggage were safely landed. Rapid work was done, for in fifteen minutes after the fire was discovered the vessel was completely devoured by the flames. Captain Esford received great praise from the company as well as from the passengers for his energy and presence of mind.
W. A. ESSON
W.A. Esson, manager of the Toronto Ferry Company, is a gentleman whose innate energy has ever made his services in active demand, and who courteousness has gained for him many friends. He was born, in 1868, in Aboyne, fourteen miles from Balmoral, the Queen of England's Scottish home. Aboyne is on the River Dee, thirty miles west of Aberdeen. Mr. Esson's father is the Rev. Prof. Alexander Esson, head master of the parish school at Birse, in Scotland, and during the year 1899 celebrated his jubilee, having been at Birse fifty years.
Manager W.A. Esson was thoroughly educated in the schools of his birthplace, went through the grammar schools in Aberdeen, and then graduated from Aberdeen University, after a five-years' course, from 1884-1888, in the latter institution. During his school career Mr. Esson also took a prominent part in athletics, and played for Aberdeenshire Rugby foot-ball team, at the time champions of the North of Scotland. Private Stewart, of the Forty-eighth Regiment of Highlanders, at Toronto, champion of the world in the Military Athletic Tournament held in Great Britain, in June, 1897, Jubilee year, is a schoolmate of Manager Esson, and at that time both men were continually vieing with each other in feats of strength.
Having finished his education Mr. Esson came to Canada, in the summer of 1888, and went into the engineer department of the Canadian Pacific railway, under civil engineer W.T. Jennings, a most clever man in the profession. First Mr. Esson was out on the Don branch of the C.P.R., then on the construction of the Detroit extension, between London and Windsor. Afterward he had charge of the Esplanade work in Toronto for the C.P.R., under W.T. Jennings and H.W.D. Armstrong. This work was about completed at the beginning of May, 1890, when Mr. Esson received a favorable offer to become manager of the Toronto Ferry Company. Accordingly he resigned from the C.P.R., and has been manager of the Toronto Ferry Company ever since.
Mr. Esson is a nephew of the late John Esson, one of Toronto's well-known contractors. One of Mr. John Esson's works was the building of the old Union Station at Toronto. Manager W.A. Esson is also a nephew, on his mother's side, of Prof. William Barrick, L.L. D., late of Kelvinside Academy, Glasgow, Scotland. Professor Barrick used to be rector of the celebrated school at Dollar, and received his degree of the L.L.D., for his valuable work in the compilation of Greek history and lexicons of the same language, his books having become the standards in various schools in several parts of the world.
That Manager W.A. Esson has done good work for the Toronto Ferry Company, there can be no doubt, for every since his inception the business has been run in a methodical way. The public learned that they could depend on a regular service to Toronto Island, no matter what sort of weather prevailed, and the result is that the popularity of Hanlan's Point as a summer resort has greatly increased. Since Mr. Esson's advent the Point has undergone remarkable changes for the better, one of the greatest improvements being the construction of the magnificent bicycle race-track, and baseball and lacrosse oval. The quarter-mile track is noted all over the continent, and has been the scene of some of the fastest racing ever done. Another special improvement is the enlarging and refitting, in modern style, of the "Hotel Hanlan," as well as the exquisite beautifying of the gardens and grounds around it. M.A. and Fred Thomas, father and son, and managers of the hotel, are two of the best known hotel men in Canada. Many Americans spend their summers at the "Hotel Hanlan," because they find it situated on one of the most delightful spots on earth.
Personally, W.A. Esson is a well-liked man, by both the public and his employers, and callers at his neat little office at the Point are numerous. During the season Mr. Esson lives at the "Hotel Hanlan," so that he can be right at the center of activity, where the steamers Primrose, Mayflower, Thistle, Shamrock, Kathleen, Island Queen, Mascotte, J.S.L MacEdwards, Luella, John Hanlan and Truant land the multitude of pleasure seekers. Mr. Esson is still a single man.
CAPTAIN EDWARD EVANS
Captain Edward Evans, master of the steamer City of Fremont, is one of the younger sailors of the Great Lakes, and has served in many subordinate positions, rising steadily by his own ability to the command of a steamer. He has inherited his predilection for the lakes, for his father was for many years one of the well-known mariners of inland seas.
Captain Evans was born in St. Joseph, Mich., July 29, 1859, the son of Henry and Elizabeth Evans. The father was a native of Pembrokeshire, South Wales, born in 1829, and in 1841, when a lad of twelve years, took to the sea. He followed ocean sailing until about 1851, when he came to America. Reaching Buffalo, he sailed out of that port for many years in schooners engaged in the lumber trade between Chicago and Buffalo. About 1866 he quit the lakes and engaged in farming, six miles south of St. Joseph, Mich., where he remained until his death.
Edward Evans was educated in the public schools of St. Joseph. At the age of fourteen he began his career on the lakes, but for several subsequent winters he continued to attend schools, and, being a great reader, he added greatly to the knowledge which his other meager educational opportunities afforded him. He began his marine experiences as second porter on the Corona, of the Goodrich line. He was on the boat for five seasons serving successively as first porter, watchman and wheelsman. Then, quitting steamers, Mr. Evans went into sailing vessels, and for two years was before the mast on the Lizzie Doak. Then for two years he was second mate of the canal schooner C. A. King, engaged in the iron and grain trade on all the lakes. Then followed one season as second mate of the John Kelderhouse. The next year he was mate of the steamer Favorite, trading in the northern part of Lake Michigan. From her he went as captain of the steambarge Michael Groh, engaged in the lumber trade, remaining two years in that capacity. Captain Evans was then transferred to the steambarge M. C. Neff, owned by the same company, and engaged mainly in the lumber trade from Lake Michigan ports. For eight seasons he sailed the Neff. He next served as captain for a period of two years, in the service of the Wisconsin and Michigan Car Ferry Company, towing a car ferry between South Chicago and Peshtigo or Green Bay. In April, 1898, he took command of the steamer City of Fremont, of the Hurson line, and has sailed that vessel during the past season.
Capt Evans was a charter member of the Chicago branch of the Ship Masters Association, but has since withdrawn his membership. He is a member of the F. & A. M., and the Independent Order of Foresters of Canada. He was married in 1886 to Miss Johanna Buckley, of Appleton, Wis., and has one child living, Harry. In sailing Captain Evans has had uniform success. He has never in the twenty-five years of his service been once discharged, and he is a careful and judicious master endowed with the reliance that comes from self-help.
JAMES E. EVANS
James E. Evans, an accomplished marine engineer, and a man of broad and liberal views, who fully enjoys the pleasures consequent upon a finished education, is very popular among his friends and acquaintances.
His choice of a maritime life was but natural, and accorded with his desire to be useful to his father in the intelligent management of his vessel and tug interests. He was born at Peacock point (now Walsingham), Ontario, October 24, 1860, a son of Edward and Nancy (Bissett) Evans, who were natives of Canada, but his grandfather, Edward Evans, came to America from Wales. Since 1848 his father has been master and owner of vessels, notable among which were the schooner Billow, and tugs William Peck, General Grant (which he built), N. P. Sprague, Rob, New Era, Relief, Wisconsin and Flossie Thielke. When he retired from the lakes he established himself in the lumber business under the firm name of Evans, Kilmaster & Co., at Tonawanda, N. Y., to which city he removed in 1861, and there he purchased a homestead, where the family reside at the present time. He also established himself in a general banking business under the firm name of Evans, Swinger & Co. He is the inventor of the principle and instrument now known as the Wells double piston balance engine, which is fast coming into general use. He retired from active business enterprises in 1895, and now contents himself with the care of his real-estate interests, which are quite large, among his holdings being a tract of land in Duluth, Minn., upon which he has erected some eighteen houses for residence purposes.
James E. Evans was a close student in his school-boy days, and passed through the Tonawanda public schools with a fair share of honor, finishing his education in the Chamberlain Institute at Randolph, Cattaraugus county, N. Y. It was with him a pleasure during vacations to occupy himself on his father's boats, and thus at the age of thirteen he became a reliable watchman. In 1877, with the purpose of becoming a marine engineer, he entered the employ of the Tonawanda Machine Company, and the next year he was granted a special license to run the tug N.P. Sprague, owned by his father. He remained on the Sprague two seasons and then transferred to the tug Relief. In 1881 he built a steam canal boat which he named Free Canal. This was during the period when the measure to abolish tolls on the Erie canal was under discussion in the New York Legislature, and it was by way of advocating the passage of a law to that effect that he gave his boat that novel name. He took his new canal steamer to New York, and put her in the Long Island Sound coal trade between New York, New London, Mystic and Newport, following that business three years.
In the fall of 1884 Mr. Evans took out master's license in Norfolk, Va., and started for Charleston, S.C., by way of the Chesapeake bay, and Raritan and Delaware rivers, engaging in the lumber trade between North Carolina ports and Baltimore and Philadelphia. In 1888 he became master of the tug Nellie Prior, towing juniper logs from Alligator river in North Carolina to Richmond, Va. The next year he was appointed master of the steamer Mary Lowrie, plying on Albermarle Sound, carrying ties for the Norfolk Southern Railroad Company. In 1890 he resumed his place in the after end of the steamer Wemple as chief. She engaged that year in the coasting trade, and the next two years in the interest of the dock department and the Norfolk navy yard, placing lightships and bouys between North Carolina ports and New York harbor. In January, 1893, Mr. Evans was appointed chief engineer of the passenger steamer Newbern, of the Old Dominion line, plying between Norfolk, Va., and Newbern, North Carolina.
In April, 1893, Mr. Evans removed to Duluth, was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Otego, and after laying her up he closed the season in the Ossifrage. The next spring he brought out the Otego, which plied between Duluth, Hancock and Houghton, again transferred to the Ossifrage and closed the season in the Lora. In the spring of 1895 he entered the employ of the A. Booth Packing Company as chief engineer of the passenger steamer Hiram R. Dixon, plying between Duluth and Port Arthur, and during the four seasons he has been with her, like Capt. Jacob F. Hector, who sails her, he has not missed a voyage however violent Lake Superior may lash the shores.
During his sojourn in Virginia, Mr. Evans was married, March 27, 1891, to Miss Etta, daughter of Jacob Hollar, of Harrisonburg, Rockingham county, and they make their home at No. 7 Glenn avenue, Duluth, Minnesota.