History of the Great Lakes
Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield
Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899
Albion Macadams, engineer of the steel steamer Ericsson, was born in Ayrshire, Scotland, in 1847. His father, Samuel Macadams, who was a lifelong follower of the sea, served thirty-four years in the British navy and reached the highest rank attainable by an ordinary seaman, that of sailing master of a man-of-war. He was raised to the life of a fisherman, and was impressed into the navy during his youth, receiving his last promotion at the battle of Navarino, when he was made sailing master of H.M.S. Ramellies by Admiral Sir John Codrington, for conspicuous bravery and ability. This position, which is now known by the title of navigating lieutenant, was held by him for fourteen years.
Albion Macadams served his apprenticeship as machinist on the Clyde, afterward sailing with the Cunard and Anchor lines. For three years he was engineer in the secret service in England. Coming to the United States in 1874, he worked seven years in the establishment of William Cramp & sons, Philadelphia, and while there became a citizen of the United States. He sailed with a number of their vessels during that time, among them the Mascotte, Arcadia and Tropic, and for one year he was on the Lorenzo Dow Baker, sailing from Boston, Mass., to the West Indies. Through ill health he was forced to leave the coast, removing thence to Buffalo, N.Y., and in 1889 he engaged with the Northern Steamship Company as superintending engineer. He remained in this employ until December 1894, having charge of the machinery in vessels belonging to this line, and those of the Lehigh Valley line and the Union Transit Company, after which he returned to the coast, sailing on various vessels south and to the West Indies. Returning to the lakes he joined the steamer John Ericsson in the summer of 1896, Mr. Macadams has sailed on many vessels, and he declares that the Ericsson is as stanch a seagoing ship as ever he set foot upon. He makes his home in Buffalo.
Isaac MacDonald is the third eldest of four sons of Donald and Hannah (Doyle) MacDonald, all of whom have followed in the footsteps of their father and attained prominence in marine circles.
Isaac MacDonald was born near St. Catharines, Ontario, November 5, 1868 and there he attended school. At an early age he started life's work in a confectionery establishment, and learned the business thoroughly, being employed at the same for nine years, six in his native town, and three in Buffalo, N. Y., to which city he removed with his parents in 1886. He started steamboating as lookout on the Vanderbilt, on which boat he remained two months, finishing his first season on the Tioga, and the following one serving as wheelsman of the Commodore. In 1891 he went into the Idaho, wheeling her two seasons and acting as her second mate for three more, when he was transferred to second mate's birth on the Commodore. He continued thus for one season and part of another, and in 1897 was promoted to the position of first mate on her. It is only necessary to say that he is "one of the MacDonald brothers," this being accepted as a first-class recommendation by all masters and vessel owners.
Mr. MacDonald was united in marriage with Miss Carrie Phelps, of Buffalo, December 29, 1891, and this union has been blessed with two children. They reside at No. 561 South Division street, Buffalo, N.Y. Socially he is a member of Red Jacket Lodge, Royal Arcanum.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM S. MACK
Captain William S. Mack (deceased) was born in Kingston, Ont., in 1846, and at an early age commenced his seafaring life. On attaining his majority he was given charge of the Oswego schooner Norwegian, owned by M. M. Wheeler, of that port, in whose employ he remained for a period of thirteen years, sailing the schooner T. S. Mott in 1870 and 1871; the Madeira from 1872 until 1877, and the Helvetia from 1878 until 1880. He then entered the steamboat service, commanding the Fred Kelly in 1881, and the Republic from 1882 until 1885. The following season he was on the Raleigh, and after superintending the building of the steamer Aurora, he sailed her for one season, after which he invested in the steamer Ballentine and took command. The succeeding year he purchased the C.J. Kershaw, which he sailed for four seasons, and then became owner of the V.H. Ketcham, which he commanded for one season, thus rounding out a service of twenty-eight years as master of either sailing vessels or steamers. In 1890 Captain Mack organized the Lakewood Transportation Company, and six years later the Lake Erie Transportation and the Lakeland Transportation Companies, remaining on shore to manage their fleets until his death, which occurred September 14, 1896.
In 1872 Captain Mack married Miss Margaret A. Ryder, of Oswego, N.Y., by whom he had two children - William H., born in 1873, and Anna B., born in 1876, who is now finishing her musical education. Since the father's death the son has practically been the head of the Lakewood Transportation Company, owning the steamer V.H. Ketcham and the schooner Wadena; the Lake Erie Transportation Company, owning the steamer Pascal P. Pratt, and the schooner Annie M. Ash; the Lakeland Transportation Company, owning the steamer George W. Roby and the barge William D. Becker; his main office in the Perry-Payne building, in Cleveland. He is a young man of more than ordinary business ability.
WILLIAM S. MACK
THE LAKEWOOD TRANSPORTATION COMPANY
The Lakewood Transportation Company was organized in Lakewood, Cuyahoga Co., Ohio, March 21, 1891, their fleet consisting of the steamer C.J. Kershaw and the schooners Moonlight and Ironton, and the officers were as follows: President and general manager, William S. Mack (now deceased); vice-president, William H. Becker; secretary and treasurer, William H. Mack. On March 20, 1896, the company removed from Lakewood, Ohio, to Mentor, same State, and its first fleet having passed out of existence purchased the steamer V.H. Ketcham and schooner Wadona, and elected the same officers to transact its business.
THE LAKE ERIE TRANSPORTATION COMPANY
The Lake Erie Transportation Company was organized at Mentor, Ohio, March 20, 1896. They own the steamer George W. Roby and the Company officers were as follows: William S. Mack (now deceased), president; William H. Becker, vice-president; William H. Mack, secretary and treasurer.
THE BECKER BARGE COMPANY
The Becker Barge Company was organized at Mentor, Ohio, March 20, 1896, and they own the barge Wm. D. Becker. The company was officered as follows: William S. Mack (now deceased), president; William H. Becker, vice-president; William H. Mack, secretary and treasurer.
THE LAKELAND TRANSPORTATION COMPANY
The Lakeland Transportation Company was organized at Mentor, Ohio, March 20, 1896. They own the steamer George W. Roby and the Company officers were as follows: William S. Mack (now deceased), president; William H. Becker, vice-president; William H. Mack, secretary and treasurer.
Angus Mackay has for forty years been connected with the wharves of Toronto, Canada's main port on Lake Ontario, and is perhaps better known than the majority of men in the same business. He is a Scotchman to the backbone, with the proverbial honesty and uprightness of character, and is proud to claim Caithness, Scotland, as his birthplace. Mr. Mackay was born in 1823 at Thurso, and there received a liberal education in the parish schools. After beginning work he was for seven years and a half foreman of construction on the Grand Trunk railway, and superintended the building of the section between St. Anne's and Pointe Claire, in the Province of Quebec. In the autumn of 1855 he went to Kingston, Ont., where he obtained a position in the locomotive works, retaining same until April 20, 1857, when he moved to Toronto. For the first seven years and six months of his stay in that city he had charge of the freight department on the Yonge street wharf, west side, for Messrs. Boomer & Miller, and John Brown & Co. Then he was engaged by Mr. Donald Milloy, on the wharf on the east side of the Yonge street slip, with whom he has remained ever since, excepting during the years 1894-95, when the Milloy wharf was leased by Mr. W. A. Geddes, and Mr. Mackay looked after the freight interests on the Dickson wharf, belonging to the corporation of Toronto, on the west side of Yonge street slip. Part of the time he was engaged by the Richelieu & Ontario Navigation Co., looking after supplies.
Mr. Mackay was married in 1851, to Miss Elizabeth Gunn, of Wick, Scotland, a most estimable lady, whose death, in December, 1882, at the home in Toronto, was keenly felt by her husband and children. Mr. Mackay has lost several fine children, but he has one son and four daughters living. Donald G. Mackay has charge of the silk warehouse of Messrs. Strange & Co., one of the largest wholesale firms of New York, for whom he was formerly a traveler. He married Miss Jeannie Knowles, whose parents live in Lodi, N. J., and they live with their two children in a pretty home in Passaic, N. J. Mrs. Hancock, wife of the manager of the Ontario Lumber Company, at French River, is a daughter of Mr. Angus Mackay, and three daughters keep house for their father at their residence, No. 12 Kensington avenue, Toronto. Religiously Mr. Mackay is a Presbyterian and a strong pillar of that Church. In politics he is a Liberal and a stanch freetrader. He is a prominent member of the Caithness Society of Toronto, and although a faithful lover of his adopted country, Canada, he ever keeps a warm spot in his heart for the old land across the sea. Nothing creates so much enthusiasm in his heart as a sight of the kilts and a sound of the pipes played by some bold Highlander.
Andrew Mackie, the present chief engineer of the Buffalo Wall Plaster Company, on Breckenridge street, Buffalo, is a sturdy Scotchman, having been born at Wigtown, Scotland, March 22, 1847. His father, Peter Mackie, was a miller by trade. Andrew was educated in his native town, and also learned his trade in the mother country. Before coming to America, in 1877, he was engineer for several years in British steamers, trading to Panama, Valparaiso and other ports from England, and was nine years continuously in the employ of the Pacific Steam Navigation Company.
Upon reaching this country Mr. Mackie began work as oiler at the collieries belonging to the Reading railroad out of Philadelphia, and for about four years shipped out of New York as engineer, when he moved to Buffalo. In 1885 he shipped as second assistant engineer on the steamer Susquehanna, remaining on her two seasons, and the following year he was second engineer on the Scranton, and for three-fourths of the season of 1888 he was second engineer on the North Wave. Following that employment he was assistant engineer of the American Glucose Company until the works were burned in April, 1894. On July 6, following, he was made chief engineer of the Buffalo Wall Plaster Company, in which position he has since continued.
Mr. Mackie was married January 22, 1866, to Maggie Black, who was also born in Scotland, and they have six children, viz: John, now a shipwright in Scotland; William, who is employed as machinist at the Pitts Agricultural Works; Peter, employed at the Bicycle Ball Bearing Works at Buffalo; and Maggie, Agnes and Grace.
CAPTAIN JOHN MADDOCK
Captain John Maddock is a sailor by inheritance and from environments. He was born to the music of the waves on Lake Champlain, at Whitehall, N. Y., October 3, 1833. His father was Cornelius Maddock, who sailed on salt water and on Lake Champlain, and died January 30, 1872, at the age of sixty-two years. His brothers were also sailors, Charles dying in 1875 and Cornelius in 1884, at Fairport (he was in the life-saving service there, and his death was the result of a long exposure the previous fall, in rescuing the crew of a schooner wrecked off Fairport, in Lake Erie).
When our subject was seven years old his father took him along with him on a little vessel he owned, and sailed on lake Champlain to keep the lad from being drowned as his mother could not keep him away from the water. The next year, seeing that John was bound to be a sailor, his father made him cook, and put in his spare time teaching the lad points about navigation. When John was fourteen, J. C. Pierce & Son built a large schooner of which Cornelius Maddock became captain, and John was left as captain of the little craft. She went ashore that summer and he then went with his father as mate. In 1849 John took command of the schooner Francis and sailed her until 1852, when his father took the schooner Forwarder to Lake Ontario and he accompanied him as mate, the family moving to Kingston the next season (1853).
The father built the schooner Mary at Sorel, in Quebec, and then sold her. Sometime later the Mary was lost near Oswego with all hands. In 1854 Cornelius Maddock, together with Calvin & Brick, of Garden Island, bought the three-master Quebec, and sailed her two years in the lumber trade, John Maddock being her mate. In 1856 his father sold out and bought the schooner Dexter Calvin, and sailed her until 1859, John still acting as his mate. Then John and his father as partners bought the schooner D. L. Couch, and sailed her until 1872 in the general lake trade. Six years of this time they carried lumber for David Whitney from Saginaw to Detroit and to Ogdensburg. In 1872 she was sold, and later went down in Lake Erie. In 1873, after his father's death, John went as mate of the Reindeer for Grummond, and remained there until the spring of 1876, when he went as mate of the Louise, but was soon made captain and sailed her until the close of 1877. In 1878 he went to Lake Michigan as mate of the schooner Topsy with Captain Rogers, an old friend from Lake Champlain. He remained there until 1880, when Capt. J. M. Jones bought the schooner Hercules, and John sailed her that season from Detroit to Georgian Bay. In 1881 he sailed the schooner Adventure for a Lake Huron stone company, carrying grindstones to Chicago. In 1882 he was captain of the schooner Columbian, owned by Captain Whipple. She went ashore at Point De Tour while Captain Maddock was asleep, and the owner's son was acting as mate on the deck. Captain Maddock then went to the Lake Huron Stone Company, as mate of the Harry Wesley. In 1883 he did his first steamboating as mate of the Mary Pringle for the Stone Company. His pay was less than before, but he figured that chances of a promotion were better on steamers. He remained mate of the Pringle through 1884-85-86, when he was made her captain. In 1887 there was a change in the stone business, and the company took the Pringle out of it and laid her up, and Captain Maddock was given command of the company's big schooner H. A. Kent. The next spring the company sold the Mary Pringle to a man who wanted to sail her himself, and Captain Maddock went as mate of her, but quit in six or eight weeks. Soon after Grummond bought her, and Captain Maddock again took command, doing wrecking. At the end of two months he quit her to sail the steamer Michigan for Flowers Bros., from Saginaw to Cleveland. He left her in October, and the next trip she was burned at Sandusky.
In 1889 young Jones bought the Sam Neff, and Captain Maddock went with him as sailing master, the steamer working for the government all the season on Spectacle Reef. That fall Colonel Ludlow, government engineer in charge of the work, was ordered to survey the North passage for lights, and Captain Maddock piloted the expedition of the Neff. They located the lights at White Shoals, Fitzsimmons Reef, Grays Reef, Squaw Island, and Suishaw Point. In 1890 Captain Maddock went with Captain Cummingham as mate of the steamer New Orleans, the Captain agreeing to get the steamer Fallow the next season for Captain Maddock. He was not successful, and Captain Maddock accepted the command of the Grace Whitney, one of the new two barges of the Baldwin. They laid up at Buffalo and Mr. Whitney asked Captain Maddock to keep ship that winter and sell the three barges, which he succeeded in doing. In 1892 Captain Maddock went as mate of the steamer Curtis with an old friend as Captain, so that his son could take the position of wheelsman in her. In 1893 Teagan Bros. bought the steamer Chauncy Hurlbut and tow, D. K. Clint, from the Sandusky Transportation Company, Captain Maddock and his son having an interest in her. He sailed her in the ore and coal trade, each boat carrying about 1,200 tons, his son being the mate. In 1898 he became captain of the H. S. Pickands, running from Ohio ports to Lake Superior. Since he began sailing as a boy, Captain Maddock has not lost a season. December 10, 1896, he left Detroit with the Majestic and took her to Milwaukee for Hurley Bros., and put new masts in her. The first locomotive taken to Upper Canada was taken to Toronto by his father in the old Forwarder.
On July 11, 1868, Captain Maddock was married in New Baltimore, to Miss Emma Barrett. She died some years ago leaving him with two sons: James Burton, who secured his papers as master in the spring of 1898, and succeeded his father as captain of the Chauncey Hurlbut; he sailed the schooner Clint for two years, and has been mate on steamers two years. Arthur, the second son, is now in California.
CAPTAIN F. J. MAGLE
Captain F.J. Magle is one of the most popular and best qualified masters of passenger and excursion steamers on the lakes. Always couteous and gentlemanly, he has made hosts of friends among the traveling public, and his handsome steamer, the American Eagle, is always well patronized during the summer months by pleasure seekers from all sections of the country contiguous to Sandusky Bay. Captain Magle is a native of Sandusky, having been born in that city January 31, 1838, son of John and Catherine (Mohler) Magle. His father was a well-known shipsmith, and ironed all the vessels built in Sandusky during his time, among which were the Castalia, Venice and Northampton. He died at the age of sixty-four, his wife living to the ripe old age of eighty-seven, and passing quietly away in 1896.
Captain Magle acquired his education in the public schools of Sandusky, which he attended until he reached the age of nineteen years, devoting the summer months, however, to the pleasant pastime of sailing yachts. In 1856, when but eighteen years of age, he sailed the yacht Wyoma and won the first prize in a race in which there were twenty-seven competitors, hailing from Toledo, Detroit, Cleveland and other ports. This was at a time when yachting was one of the fine arts, and the trophy won by young Magle was the greatest prize, intrinsically, ever given at Sandusky. He also sailed the fine yacht Jennie Lind, whose cabins were fitted up like a parlor in a palatial residence. He learned his skill and cunning in handling and trimming a yacht under the eye of Captain Charles Nichols, a noted yachtsman and sailing master of that time. The first boat Captain Magle shipped on regularly was the schooner Emeline, which he joined in the spring of 1853 as boy, going the next season with Capt. John Dyeron on the scow Hannah Salina, and in 1885(sic) with Capt. Sol. Phillips on the same boat. In 1856 he fitted out the Milan-built scow John C. Fremont, which he sailed that season, taking charge of the Wyoma, however, long enough to win in the great Sandusky regatta of that year. In 1857 he returned to Sandusky and took command of the sloop Harlequin, sailing her between that port and the islands, in the fish trade, until September, when he was appointed master of the H. C. Post, which he sailed successfully five seasons. The Post was then sold to Cleveland parties and in the spring of 1862 he went as mate with Capt. John Estes on the E. S. J. Bemis, on which he was engaged for two seasons.
In 1864 Captain Magle purchased a vineyard and fishery on Middle Bass island, for which he paid $2,800, and he devoted his energies to their culture for about eighteen months, when he sold his property for $7,500. In the fall of 1865 he bought ten acres of land and a fishery which occupied his time until 1872. He then went to Detroit and chartered the steamyacht Grace Truscott, running her until the passenger steamer Golden Eagle, in which he had an eighth-interest, was completed, in July, when he took command of her, plying between Sandusky and the Islands, Detroit and Toledo. He sailed her eight years, summer and winter. On one of his winter trips in 1875, between Sandusky and Put-in-Bay with passengers and general cargo, the steamer broke up the ice at Put-in-Bay so that it commenced to run out, and the boat on departing encountered the ice thirteen inches thick, in such volume that she sprang a leak and the pumps could not keep her clear. The captain blew his whistles long and loud to attract attention from the bay, put his passengers on the ice and stripped the boat, even to her gong and compass. He then reversed the engines and jumped through the gangway onto the ice. She sank in a short time, only the top of her smokestack being above water, but nine days after he raised her and took her to Cleveland, where she was repaired by Radcliffe and again put on the route. In the spring of 1880 Captain Magle brought out new the steamer American Eagle, a passenger and excursion boat possessing the best qualities of an ice breaker. She was put on the old route between Sandusky and the Islands, and Toledo, Cleveland and Detroit, on occasion also doing towing between Sandusky and Lake Huron, and Captain Magle is still in command of her. The steamer was run regularly summer and winter between Sandusky, Put-in-Bay, Middle Bass and Kellys Island, transporting wine, etc., and also carrying mail for a number of years, but of late years, on account of the falling off of business and the expense of fuel, she is laid up in January and started again in March. Captain Magle used her as a wrecking boat when the tug Samson was sunk at the northwest point of Point Pelee; she took her over and raised the Samson and made an effort to reach Cleveland with the tug, but the ice was so thick that he had to run under Kelleys Island to prevent the Samson from going to the bottom again. The Captain asserts that the American Eagle as an ice crusher is a success.
Captain Magle was united in marriage, on June 6, 1858, to Miss Nancy Sullivan, of Cooperstown, N.Y. The children born to this union are Katie, wife of Dr. Jordon; Elizabeth, wife of Alex. R. Bruce, clerk of the American Eagle; Carrie R., now Mrs. Lester Bruce, a school teacher in Ottawa county, Ohio; Mary and Jessie. The family homestead in on Put-in-Bay island.
Richard Mahoney, who throughout the greater part of his active business life has been identified with the lake marine, was born July 22, 1859, in Hamilton, Ont., where he lived until about 1876, when he removed to Detroit, there continuing to make his home until 1895. He now lives in Buffalo, N.Y. His father, Dennis Mahoney, still resides in Detroit, where he is engaged in business.
On leaving school at the age of fourteen, Richard Mahoney entered the Grand Trunk railroad shops at Hamilton, Ontario, where he remained some time, and was then employed in the Hinch Cliff Iron Works, of the same place; later he spent several winters in the Detroit Dry Dock Engine Works. In the spring, when he was nineteen years of age, he began his marine career on the tugs in the Detroit river in the employ of S.A. Murphy, of Detroit, and was then chief engineer on the D.C. Whitney for six seasons, after which he served in the same capacity on the B.W. Blanchard for two seasons. The next season he spent on the Minneapolis, and the same length of time as chief on the John Pridgeon and the A.A. Parker, in the employ of A.A. Parker, of Detroit. The early part of the season of 1896 he spent on the Cuba, but after October of that year he was chief engineer on the Maurice B. Grover until October 8, 1897, when he was appointed chief of the Servia, and acted as chief until April 27, 1898, when she burned on Lake Superior. On June 8 was appointed chief of the Arizona, which position he still holds.
Mr. Mahoney has been very fortunate as to shipwrecks and accidents, never having experienced any serious trouble of that nature. While on the Kate Moffat on Lake Huron, however, the boat was burned, but the crew found means of escape in the small boats, landing without much difficulty on Presque Isle. Mr. Mahoney is a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association No. 3, of Detroit, Michigan.
J. F. MAHANEY
J.F. Mahaney, a consulting and constructing engineer of much fame, was born in Erie, Penn., in 1846. He is a son of Michael and Nora (Donovan) Mahaney, both of whom were natives of Ireland, coming thence to the United States in 1819 and locating in Harbor Creek township, Erie Co., Penn. They had a family of three sons and seven daughters, our subject being the second youngest.
After acquiring a public-school education in his native city Mr. Mahaney went to New York City and became a student in the Bonaventure College for two years. In 1865, after leaving college, he went to Cherry Tree Run and purchased nine acres of land, upon which he bored for oil. He sunk his wells 700 feet, striking sand rock without a show of oil, and gave up discouraged, selling his property; two years later the parties to whom he sold went 150 feet deeper with the wells, which by the use of pumps gave them one hundred barrels per day. Therefore Mr. Mahaney says: "That which is discouragement for one is fortune for another." Returning to Erie he entered the employ of the Erie City Iron Works to learn the machinist's trade, which he mastered in due time. In 1868 he turned his attention to the tugging business in Erie harbor, first purchasing the tug Home, which he sailed as master for some time, and leaving her to enter the revenue marine service as engineer of the cutter Commodore Perry. Learning that one was not permitted to hold marine property while serving on a revenue cutter, and not being willing to sacrifice his tug property, he left the service, returned to Erie and purchased the tug T. D. Dole, of Mr. Eastman, of Grand Haven, Mich., sailing her two years. He then bought the tug Thomas Thompson, which he sailed out of Erie harbor, and next purchased an interest in the schooners Harvest Queen and Harvest Home, both of which vessels were lost, Mr. Mahaney's money going with them. While he was sailing master of the Alanson Sumner he also acted as chief of the engineering department.
Mr. Mahaney now entered the employ of James McBrier, with whom he remained six years, engaging first as chief engineer of the steamer Fred McBrier, and he brought out the steamers Fedora and Elfinmere new. In 1881 he opened an engineer's supply shop in Erie, Penn., where he also constructed marine and stationary engines. He kept a large stock of specialties used on steamboats, such as screw plates, brass and iron fittings, steam packing, rubber goods, lubricating and illuminating oils and boiler compounds, and did fairly well in this business for a while; but the dull times were against him, and he was forced to sell out. In the winter of 1888 he removed to Buffalo and became identified with the Buffalo Tricycle Company, which is now manufacturing under the firm name of The Buffalo Bicycle Works. In 1893 he entered the employ of Capt. Alva Bradley as engineer of the steamer E. B. Hale, transferring from her to the George Stone, the Hesper and the Gladstone, in turn passing three years on the four steamboats, and he is at this writing superintending engineer of the Bradley fleet.
In 1870 Mr. Mahaney was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth Reynolds, of Buffalo, and two daughters, Arvillia and Arzoria, were born to this union. The family residence is at No. 64 Hoyt street, Buffalo. In social connection Mr. Mahaney is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, the Knights of Pythias, the fraternity of Elks, the Foresters and the Equitable Relief Society. During the Civil war he enlisted in the 83rd P.V.I., but being a minor and having joined without the consent of his parents, they succeeded in having him discharged.
CAPTAIN MICHAEL MAHER
Captain Michael Maher, although still a young man, has had an eventful life on the lakes and in connection with lake interests, and at one time held the local inspectorship of steam vessels for the Port Huron district, to which he was appointed by President Cleveland in October, 1887, when but twenty-nine years of age. He is the son of Michael and Ellen (Woods) Maher, was born in London, Ontario, on December 12, 1858, and received a public-school education in Canada, in course of time coming to the United States. His first duties on the lakes consisted in passing wood in the side-wheel towboat Little Eastern, but it appears that he did not entertain a very high regard for the occupation, and he did not ship the next season. He found employment in the McKinnon boiler shop, where he remained two years, and in the spring of 1874 he shipped as fireman in the side-wheel passenger steamer Daniel Bull, the next year going as wheelsman in the passenger steamer Mason, plying on the Saginaw river. In 1876, he was clerk in the passenger steamer Cora Locke, coming out the following year as mate in the tug Cora B. and closing the season as mate in the riverboat Mason. In the spring of 1878 he took out pilot's papers, and having purchased the steamer Nellie Booth from Detroit parties, he took her to the Saginaw river and sailed her until August, when he sold her and shipped on the steamer Mason, holding that berth until the fall of 1879. The next season he secured engineer's license, but shipped as clerk in the steamer W. R. Burt, remaining in her until the fall of 1885. During the winter months, while in this employ, he helped repair and fit out the different boats of the line, in the summer sailing them or running the engine, as occasion required, filling this composite position with much satisfaction to all.
It was in 1886 that Captain Maher began to acquire vessel property. He associated himself with J. English and purchased the steamer Lucille, which he took to the Saginaw and sailed in opposition to the W. R. Burt and Mason, both of which steamers he and his partner purchased July 3 and put on the route. At the close of the season the Captain sold his interests to Mr. English, continuing, however, as a manager of the line, and in the spring of 1887 he purchased the barge Norway and sailed her two months, also taking an interest in the tug Haight. In October, 1887, during President Cleveland's first term, he was appointed government boiler inspector for the Port Huron district, being succeeded in that incumbency by Frank Van Lou, on January 21, 1890. The same year Mr. Maher purchased a half-interest in the National Boiler Works, in Bay City, with his brother John, and assisted in conducting that industry until the fall of 1896, when he sold out to his brother, who now carries on the works alone. In April, 1890, Captain Maher purchased an interest in the steamer Sanilac and sailed her two seasons in the passenger and freight trade between Saginaw and Cleveland, putting in the winter months at the boiler works. In 1892 he bought the passenger propeller C. A. Forbes, which he sailed on the Saginaw river, selling her the next year and assuming command of the Sanilac. In 1894 he sold the Sanilac and as business was improving went to work in the boiler shop. During the year 1895 he put six furnaces under the boilers of the C. A. Eddy works in Chicago, and the next year devoted his time to the shop in Bay City with his brother, disposing of his interest that fall. During the season of 1897 Captain Maher sailed the passenger steamer T. S. Faxton, in the passenger and freight trade between Saginaw, Bay City and Alpena; it is his object at this time to acquire a steamer adapted to the passenger and package freight trade. He has eleven issues of master's papers and nine engineer's licenses.
Captain Maher was married to Miss Sarah Kain, daughter of Michael and Josephine Kain of Saginaw on January 18, 1881, and they have one son, John Stafford. Their home is at No. 321 Adams street, Bay City, Mich. Fraternally, the Captain is a member of the Elks and the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
CAPTAIN ALBERT CARRIER MAJO
Captain Albert Carrier Majo, who by industry and enterprise has established a reliable system of ferry service between Duluth and West Superior, which he operated on schedule time, has been a lake mariner since 1863, rising from boy to master to owner of vessels, and it may truly be said of him that he is by nature a sailor, taking a pleasure and interest in his profession. He is a son of William and Mary (Butler) Majo, both of good old Huguenot stock. His father was born in Assumption, Ontario, in 1818, and when six years old removed with his parents to Cape Vincent. After attending school the requisite number of years, he began sailing the lower lakes and soon became a skillful pilot, and sailed on various vessels until 1848, and in 1858 he retired to his homestead on one of the Thousand Islands in the St. Lawrence river, situated in Jefferson County, N.Y. where he now lives with his good wife at the age of seventy-eight years. The mother is a native of Kingston, Ontario.
Captain Albert C. Majo was born in Chicago, Ill.June 4, 1847, and attended a public school at Cape Vincent, N.Y. and Joliet, Ill., receiving a liberal education. In May, 1863, he realized his desire to become a sailor by shipping in the schooner Flying Cloud as boy with Capt. James T. Borland; he joined her again the next spring, closing the season, however, in the schooner Fleetwing. During the three following seasons he sailed on the Perry Hannah, Advance, Frank Crawford, Orkney Lass, Imogene and T. S. Skinner. In 1868 the Captain went to Wyoming, on the line of the Union Pacific railroad, where he engaged in getting out timber, ties, etc., to be used in the construction of the road. In the spring of 1870 he returned to Muskegon, Mich., and entered the employ of the Muskegon Boom Company, remaining with them about eight years, the first two as wheelsman in the tug Third Michigan, and transferring to the tug Miranda as master, thence to the Sport, the Ezra Stevens, and the new tug Ira O. Smith, all of which he has sailed with good results. In the spring of 1879 the Captain chartered the tug Maud Eccles and put her in the excursion business at Muskegon, using her at times to tow logs, and was very successful.
In the spring of 1880 Captain Majo purchased an interest in the tug Newell Avery, and engaged in harbor towing at Muskegon; in 1883 he became a member of the lumber firm of Gow, Majo & Henderson, and succeeded in doing an extensive business with good success financially for some years. He then sold a three-eighths interest to Messrs. Gow & Campbell. In the meantime he purchased an interest in the tug Colonel Ferry, and sailed her two seasons; and in interest with C. W. Brown, in the George P. Savidge, which he sailed one season in the excursion business out of Muskegon. The Captain then sold her, and in spring of 1888 purchased an interest in the tug A. C. Van Raalte, and after sailing her two seasons, he sold her to the Garden City Sand Co. and bought his partner’s interest in the tug George P. Savidge, took her to Duluth, and after running her at that port one season traded her for Minnesota real estate. He again purchased the Savidge and sailed her until she was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1891. The next spring he went to Muskegon and bought the tug Comet, which he took to Duluth, but he went as master of the tug Estelle that season, assuming command of the Comet the next spring. In 1894, he sailed the steamer Lindrup as street-car transfer across the St. Louis river. in the spring of 1895 he purchased the tugs Hattie Lloyd and Belle.
During the winter of 1893-94 the Captain invented an ingenious means of crossing the St. Louis river by placing a boat on runners and attaching an electric cable and endless chain to each side of the river. In case the ice should break in the center of the river, the craft would float until it reached the farther edge, when it would again have recourse to its runners. This novel boat attracted much comment, and answered the purpose to a charm. This ferry scow or amphibian was twenty-six feet long and ten feet wide and thirty-six inches deep; six tiers of gunwales 4 x 6 inches, and a pine cabin covering the whole width, but leaving three feet at each end for deck. The two runners were shod in steel. The distance to be crossed was 1,300 feet, over which passed a cable attached to a twenty-horse power motor, geared to two three-feet drums. On March 15, the ice gave away 100 feet from the Superior shore, but the amphibian did all that was expected of her, sliding down into the water, floating about 150 feet and again mounting the ice near the other shore within 200 feet of the Duluth landing. Passengers soon became accustomed to this novelty, and felt no uneasiness in making the passage.
Socially, the captain is a charter member of the American Association of Masters and Pilots of Steam Vessels, a Master Mason, of Palestine Lodge, of Duluth, and a Knight of the Maccabees.
On December 8, 1875, Captain Majo wedded Miss Mary E., daughter of Joseph H. and Clarissa (Sunderlin) Parsons, of Madison county, N.Y., and the children born to this union were: William Parsons; Nina I. (who died young); Joseph H., and Helen Mary. The family residence is at No. 504 Fifth avenue, Duluth, Minnesota.
CAPTAIN GEORGE B. MALLORY
Captain George B. Mallory was born in Springport, Mich., in 1839, and during his infancy was taken by his parents to Sheffield, Ohio, where he acquired his education. His career as a sailor began in 1856, when he joined the crew of the scow Cousin Mary, on Lake Erie. In 1858 he had charge of the scow Fair Play, and gradually worked his way upward, becoming chief mate of the schooner Willington, owned by Alva Bradley, in whose service he remained four years.
In 1862, Captain Mallory built the scow Mona, engaging daily in the carpenter work himself, and when the bark was completed sailed on the lakes some time. Later he sold her, and then sailed the scow Lime Rock, after which he was connected with the schooners Sea Bird, Buckingham and Eliza Gerlach, sailing the last named for several seasons. In 1873 he was appointed master of the bark William Jones, owned by the firm of Reddington & Adams, of Cleveland, and remained in that position until the fall of 1879, with the exception of about two years when he had charge of the schooner Red Wing, at that time one of the largest vessels of its class on the lakes.
In 1880 he began his service on steamers, joining the V. H. Ketcham, at that time one of the finest steamers on the lakes, the property of Adams & Delamater, of Cleveland, with which firm he was connected for seven years. The steamer was then sold to Pickands, Mather & Co., and Captain Mallory was retained in command until 1889, at which time he was transferred to the new steel steamers built to order for the Minnesota Steamship Company, and commanded several of them on their trial trips, while throughout one season he sailed the Masaba, owned by this company. In 1892 he went in the Mariposa, of the same company, at that time the largest steamer afloat on the lakes, and sailed that vessel continuously until 1894, when he went in the new steamer Victory, of the Inter-Lake Company, of greater size than the Mariposa. In 1896 he was transferred to the steamer Maricopa, of the Minnesota Steamship Company, one of the 430-foot vessels, built in the most modern and improved methods of ship building and splendidly equipped. Captain Mallory was senior captain or commander of the entire Minnesota fleet of vessels managed by the firm of Pickands, Mather & Co., of Cleveland, overseeing all the new boats and bringing them out. During his long and eventful career Captain Mallory has had almost perfect immunity from casualties of any kind, and is therefore regarded as an invaluable employee by underwriting firms as well as vessel owners. His care is remarkable, and his judgment is sound and wise.
In 1862 Captain Mallory was married to Miss Anna Faragher, a native of the Isle of Man, but residing at the time in Sheffield, Ohio. They have two children: Dr. Frank Burr and Margaret E., the son being now a professor in the medical department of Harvard College, Cambridge, Mass., and Miss Margaret, a teacher in the Central High School of Cleveland. The family are members of Dr. Sprecher’s church and enjoy the hospitality of many of the best homes in Cleveland, their circle of friends being very extensive.
HERBERT M. MANN
One of the younger generations of lake engineers is Herbert M. Mann, of Detroit, Mich., who was first assistant engineer of the Detroit & Cleveland Navigation Co.'s passenger steamer City of the Straits, for the past three seasons.
Mr. Mann was born in the year 1865, in Adams, Jefferson Co., N. Y., where his father was a merchant. Before coming to the lakes he served for a year as an apprentice in an engine shop, and for two years in a steamboat jobbing shop, as mechanic several years and as fireman, and later as stationary engineer. Mr. Mann worked afterward for an electric light company, and then went on the lakes as electrician of the D. & C. steamer City of Cleveland. For the next three seasons he was employed as oiler on the same steamer, and for one season was oiler on the Manola, of the Minnesota line. The two following years he was first assistant engineer on the ferry Promise, one of the best boats belonging to the Detroit, Belle Isle & Windsor Ferry Co. Mr. Mann is a close student of practical mechanical engineering, and is very well acquainted with it in its various departments.
He is unmarried, and lives with his mother in Detroit, where he has resided most of the time since his early youth.
Peter Marcoux was born in Quebec, Canada, and lived at that place until he was seventeen years of age. Here, however, his education and training was almost entirely in French, so that since his removal to the United States he has been obliged to make a thorough study of English in the night schools of different cities in which he has been located. Also profitably put in four winter terms in the study of engineering and drawing in schools in Chicago. At the present time Mr. Marcoux is equally fluent in both languages, having well mastered the task that was set before him. He is the son of George and Felicite (Badard) Marcoux, the former a carpenter by trade and still residing at Quebec. The mother died in 1865.
After working in a machine shop about two years, Mr. Marcoux left Canada and came to Michigan, and for some time was employed in a sawmill at Menominee. Removing to Escanaba he worked at the carpenter's trade, after which he began his marine life, to which he had devoted his time since. In 1880 he went on the Argonaut as fireman for part of a season, with his uncle, Charles E. Marcoux, who was chief engineer, and who was lost on the Vernon in 1887, our subject being with him until that time, after which Mr. Marcoux filled the same position on the Rube Richard for the remainder of the year. That winter he returned to Escanaba, and was employed in a grocery store, going as fireman on the Chauncey Hulbert the following season. Upon this boat he remained two years, and receiving papers in August acted as second engineer after that, holding the same berth upon the J.C. Parrotte for a shirt time; the remainder of the season he went on the Fayette Brown as greaser. The following winter he spent in Chicago as engineer of a building, and during June of the next season he shipped on the Argonaut as second engineer, and remained two and a half seasons. He acted as chief of the same boat for two seasons, and then spent a season and a half on the Escanaba as chief, finally, in July, 1894, coming on the Parks Foster, on which he has since remained.
S. O. MARSH
S.O. Marsh, mate of the Ira Owen, is a mariner of considerable experience. He was born August 23, 1859 at Erie, Penn., and at that place lived the first twenty-four years of his life. His father, Capt. Daniel Marsh, was a native of Massachusetts, but went early to Nova Scotia, and there lived until he was fourteen years of age, when he removed to Erie, Penn. He spent about twenty-four years of his life on the Great Lakes, becoming shipmaster at the age of twenty-one, and in that capacity served many years; he is now retired, making his home in Wilmot, Wisconsin.
After attending school for some time Mr. Marsh entered the employ of the Chenango & Allegheny Valley Railway Co., and remained with them two years, when he began his marine life, as boy, on the schooner Julia Willard. Previously he had sailed with his father. From the Julia Willard he transferred to the Escanaba, and there acted as watchman and wheelsman for six years in the employ of the Lake Michigan & Escanaba Transportation Co., his next service being on the steamer Josephine, of Chicago, of which he acted as second mate two years and mate one season. In 1891 he became mate on the Ira Owen and the following season sailed the steamer Ohio, in 1893 returning to the Ira Owen, on which he has since remained. Clarence A. Marsh, brother of our subject, was on the lakes several years and was killed July 21, 1894, on the steamer Henry J. Johnson, on Lake Erie.
Mr. Marsh was married on April 11, 1896, to Miss Ida Mitchell, of Cumberland, Maryland.
J. H. MARSHALL
J.H. Marshall, chief engineer of the Lehmann building, Chicago, and for several years identified with the lake marine, entered his present position October, 1884, which he has since held, to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. He is a native of Ohio, born in Ashtabula, in 1858, a son of James and Emma (Agar) Marshall. The father, who was a steam fitter and sheet iron worker, was born in England, and on coming to America at an early day first located in Philadelphia, Penn., but later removed to Cleveland, Ohio, where he worked at his trade for some time and afterward conducted a shipyard of his own. He died in that city in 1864, and his wife departed this life at the same place in 1876. Three of their sons became identified with the lakes, the others being William, a sailor, and James L., engineer on the steamer Ada.
J. H. Marshall spent his boyhood in Cleveland, and there attended school. In 1868, at the age of ten years, he went upon the lakes as fireman on a yacht, and subse-quently held a similar berth on tugs sailing out of Cleveland, but in 1872 came to Chicago, and the following year was given the position of engineer on the tug Goldsmith's Maid, belonging to that port. After one season on her, he spent a part of the next season on the Night Hawk, of the Dahle line, and was subsequently engineer of the tug Rebel for three seasons, after which he became an employe of the Government on the tug Humphrey, and helped to haul most of the material for the breakwater at Chicago, being thus engaged for one season. For two and a half years he was engineer on the tug line of Hausler Brothers, after which he became engineer of the tug Hood, of the Vessel Owners Towing Company, of Chicago, and remained with them one season. During the next season he was on the Green and the Butler, and then in the employ of J. S. Dunham as engineer on the Uncle Sam, followed by a season as engineer on the steamer J. L. Hurd. After a time spent in a machine shop, he accepted his present position, which he has since so creditably and acceptably filled.
Socially, he was a member of the old M. E. B. A. No. 4, and also belongs to the Stationary Engineers Association No. 1, and the Royal Arcanum.
Mr. Marshall was married, in Chicago, in 1882, to Miss Margaret E. Gow, a daugh-ter of Alexander Gow, a seafaring man and ocean sailor, who was born in Scotland, and died in Chicago, in 1883. Mr. and Mrs. Marshall have one daughter, Clara. The family residence is at No. 600 Flournoy street, Chicago.
CHARLES T. MARTIN
Charles T. Martin, chief engineer of the steamer W.L. Wetmore, has had a varied and succesful career. He was born in 1849, son of Thomas Martin, a prosperous citizen of Brooklyn, N.Y., who sailed on the ocean for a number of years. Charles T. Martin attended the public schools of Brooklyn and commenced sailing on the lakes in 1868, previous to which he had been employed for seven summers driving teams on the Erie, the Delaware & Raritan, the Delaware & Chesapeake canals, and the Schuylkill river. His lake experience opened as fireman on the steam barge Dunkirk. Then he was employed upon the City of Port Huron, after which he spent six and a half years in the employ of the Blanchard line, of Detroit. He was subsequently chief engineer in charge of a tug line at Bay City, serving at various times as chief in engine rooms of the tugs L.Q. Rawson, Marion Teller, A.F. Bartlett and W.S. Parks; the last named boat was brought from Perth Amboy, N.J., by him. His next service was as chief engineer on the steambarge Don M. Dickinson, once called the Ellen S. Terry, and later he was chief of the Messenger, the Missouri and the tug Onaping. Returning to Cleveland he ran the tug Stone one seasone, and then became engineer of the steamer Joseph P. Farnum, which was burned on Lake Michigan, twenty-two miles from South Haven. He has since spent a year and a half in the Queen of the West, a like period in the Stephen C. Clark, three years in the Waverly, and two in the W.L. Wetmore, laying up that boat at the close of navigation in 1896.
In 1885 Mr. Martin married Miss Lizzie Riley, of Cleveland.
John Martin, deceased, was born in County Antrim, Ireland, December 15, 1824. He came to America with his parents, who located in Montreal, Canada, and there he learned the shipbuilding trade, attending school at night. After remaining in that shipyard two years he went to French Creek, N. Y., thence to Detroit, Mich., and finally in 1843, to Cleveland, Ohio. Soon after his arrival in the latter city he entered into partnership in the shipbuilding business with Mr. DeGrote, and later with Mr. Thomas Quayle under the firm name of Quayle & Martin. The vessels built by this firm were acknowledged to be among the best on the lakes, and many of them are still in existence, although the firm was dissolved April 15, 1873, by the death of Mr. Martin, after an uninterrupted business career of a quarter of a century.
One of the shipbuilding firms of which Mr. Martin was a member was deeply in debt, but owned the brig Cortland, in which he had an interest. Mr. Martin took the brig and sailed her until the indebtedness was reduced to about $2,500, when he sold her and dissolved the partnership. After jobbing and acting on surveys for a number of months he built the brig John G. Deshler for Messrs. Handy, Warner & Co., the profit on which permitted him to enter into partnership with Thomas Quayle. In 1858 this firm loaded the brig John G. Deshler and the bark D. C. Pierce with staves for Liverpool, Mr. Martin taking charge of their freightage as supercargo. The venture was successful, and the following year he took over two other cargoes in the same vessels, selling one in Cork and the other in Glasgow. Thus began the exodus of lake vessels to the ocean, and six built by Quayle & Martin plied on salt water with good success. Among the vessels built by Quayle & Martin, the following are still in existence: Steamers Raleigh, Arizona, B. W. Blanchard, City of Fremont, City of Traverse, Cleveland, Joseph S. Fay, Fayette, Sweepstakes, Wallula, Scotia, Verona, W.L. Wetmore, and Winslow, and the schooners Ahria Cobb, Kate Darley, D. P. Dobbins, F. W. Gifford, D. R. Martin, John Martin, Maria Martin, J. M. Hutchinson, J. G. Masters, Parana, Mary E. Perew, Thomas Quayle, Nellie Reddington, St. Lawrence, Sweepstakes, S. J. Tilden, and Nelson Bloom. Mr. Martin was well known in Cleveland and was one of the oldest and most respected citizens of that place. For nine years he represented the Ninth ward in the city council, and shortly before his death he was popularly mentioned as a candidate for the office of mayor. He was a faithful and efficient member of the council, always having the interests of the city at heart and ever working for its improvement and progress. He was a strong force on committees and accomplished much good in his official character. The following testimonial from Mayor Pelton to the city council would seem to be appropriate in this volume: "The sad intelligence of the death of your colleague, our esteemed fellow citizen, John Martin, has already reached you, and this communication is sent to you to suggest that some appropriate action be taken expressive of his character as a citizen and his services as an officer, and that such action be spread upon the journal of the city council as a memorial of your regard. I am confident that in your judgment he has deserved the highest esteem of his associates and the entire confidence of his constituency." At the time of his death the city flags and the bunting on the vessels in the harbor were flying at half-mast in his honor and the city council in a body followed his remains to their last resting place.
His public life was blameless. His views of the public policy were progressive, though he was not prodigal in spending the people's money. If he ever deviated from the line of rigid economy it was in obedience to that sentiment of charity which seemed to pervade his whole nature. Not less estimable was his life as a private citizen and business man. He was upright, just and honorable; in manner simple and unassuming; ever ready to forgive and forget an injury, always remembering a kind-ness and never letting a favor go unrequited. He had the goodness of heart to make his employes feel that he meant to deal generously with them, for he had known himself what it was to do the work of a laborer, and he was in all respects a self-made man. His industry was untiring in that department of business which he pursued and the firm of which he was a member, all the more prosperous for such industry, was a source of constant growth to the business, population and fame of Cleveland. His diligence in the course of twenty-five years raised him to the proud position of one of the first shipbuilders in the land and reflected honor upon himself and the city of his adoption. During the years that he was engaged in shipbuilding he acquired, by close attention to business and good management, considerable property. He left a wife and three children well provided for: James H., Maria A. (wife of Wallace Wright, a banker and vessel owner) and Mary E. (wife of George H. Hutchinson, lumber dealer).
CHARLES E. MASON
Charles E. Mason, who had charge ot the engine room of the tug Englesbe during the season of 1896, was born in Ashtabula, Ohio, in 1872. He is a son of Capt. David W. Mason, who commanded numerous sailing vessels on the Great Lakes during the years past and who now lives in Ashtabula. The son dates his lake experience from the year 1888, when he became fireman on the tug R. J. Cram. Following this he was fireman on the W. S. Carkin, Nat Stickney, Kunkle Brothers, Sunol, and William D. In 1893 he secured his first engineer's papers and since then he has been engineer of the Kunkle Brothers, Walter Richardson, L. P. Smith, Selah Chamberlin, Daisy, Ciscoe, Mascott, and Loretta Englesbe.
CAPTAIN JOHN MASON
Captain John Mason began to sail when he was ten years of age, and since that time the greater part of his life has been spent on the lakes. His first experience was on a schooner in command of Captain Lever, and running out of Putneyville, N.Y., the town where he was born May 3, 1852. For several years he was employed in minor positions on different boats, and in his twentieth year he was given command of the schooner New Hampshire. His next boat was the schooner Portage, which he sailed four seasons, then going on the schooner Champion, where he remained one year. From 1880 to 1887 he kept a store on the corner of Michigan and Ohio streets, Buffalo, and then returned to the lakes in command of the schooner Planet. From this boat he went on the schooner David Vance, and was in command when she was wrecked on Lake Erie, the crew escaping in a yawlboat. Following this time he sailed the schooners Maxwell, Francomb and Wilcox and came on the schooner San Diego, in 1896, where he has since remained.
Captain Mason is one of eight children born to Joseph and Louise (Fellows) Mason, natives of New Jersey and New York respectively. Mrs. Mason is deceased, but Joseph Mason resides at New Haven, Mich. The family is as follows: Luzerne, a sailor who resides at Chicago; Mary, unmarried, who resides in Buffalo; Sarah, who is married to Rev. Ebenezer Ireland, and resides in Texas; Ellen, who is married to Albert Tubbs and resides in New Haven, Mich.; Herman, who is a bookkeeper and resides at New Haven; Walter, who is a jeweler and resides in Mt. Clemens; and Emma, who is married to Marshall Giddings, and resides in Washington, Michigan.
In September, 1873, Captain Mason was married to Miss Catherine Gain, of Buffalo. Their children are: Agnes, born October 9, 1876; Catherine, born December 9, 1878; John, Jr., born September 20, 1881; Margaret, born May 3, 1885; and Martha, born March 9, 1887.
CAPTAIN ORLO J. MASON
Captain Orlo J. Mason, although bearing a military title, gallantly won during four years of ardent service at the front through the memorable years of 1861 to 1865, has been more or less identified with matters maritime since his honorable discharge from the victorious army of the North, and now holds the responsible position of light-house keeper at Ashtabula Harbor.
Captain Mason was born on July 26, 1835, at Lafargeville, Jefferson Co., N. Y. He is the son of Johnson and Mary (Greenleaf) Mason, both of whom died when Orlo was quite young, and he was thus compelled to learn self-reliance at an early age. However, he managed to acquire some knowledge in the public-schools of his native place. When he reached the age of twelve years he went to work on a farm, where he again had an opportunity to attend school in the winter months. In 1853 he left the farm and went to learn the carpenter's trade at Lafargeville; he also worked in Theresa, N. Y., about three years, after which he obtained desirable employment in an organ and piano manufactory in Clayton, where he remained until the opening of hostilities between North and South, in which the bravery and the resources of the two sections of this great republic were pitted against each other in a long and bloody war, and through which Captain Mason carried himself with honor.
On October 21, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Ninety-fourth New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, which was assigned to duty with the army of the Potomac. He participated with his regiment in all the stubborn contests of that magnificent army except the battle of Gettysburg. At the time that decisive engagement took place he was confined in the hospital by reason of a serious wound received in the battle of Fredericksburg, December 13, 1862. Previous to this period he had been with his regiment through the second Bull Run battle and those at South Mountain and Antietam. He does not designate the numerous smaller affairs in which he took part. After seven weary months in the hospital he was permitted to join his regiment, which was before Petersburg, and was an integral part of the Fifth Corps under General Warren. Captain Mason took part in all the fighting around Petersburg and Richmond and at Five Forks, and also marched in support of General Sherman's cavalry, which succeeded in heading off the Confederates at Appomatox, after the fall of Richmond, and thus he was present at one of the closing scenes of the great Rebellion. His first rank, in 1861, was that of sergeant; on June 12, 1864, he was commissioned second lieutenant, and on March 21, 1865, he was promoted to the responsible rank of captain of Company A, to which he had been transferred in 1862. He re-enlisted as veteran near Fredericksburg, Va., in December, 1864, and was granted the usual furlough. After the close of the war he was honorably discharged in Albany, N. Y., July 31, 1865.
Captain Mason then returned to Clayton, N. Y., and resumed work in the organ manufactory he had quit for military service. In the spring of 1866 he went to Detroit and entered the employ of the Dry Dock Company as carpenter. The next year he went into the car shops on Crogan street, and helped to build the first Pullman palace car ever constructed. In May, 1868, Captain Mason went to St. Louis, Mo., where he worked in the car shops of the Iron Mountain Railroad Company two years. In 1870 he entered the employ of the Broadway Street Car Company, and worked for that firm ten consecutive years, after which he passed two years in the Franklin avenue car shops. In 1882 he returned to Detroit and again found employment in the Pullman car shops. In June, 1885, Captain Mason was appointed keeper of the Mamajuda lighthouse on Detroit river and held that position nine years, and so conscientiously did he perform the duties that no cause of complaint was ever entered against him. This is a rare commendation, when the enormous amount of tonnage depending upon the guidance of his light is considered. It was during Captain Mason's incumbency at Mamajuda that his daughter, MISS MAEBELLE, a maid of fourteen years, performed an act of heroism which attracted the attention, not only of the lake marine men, but of the government officials as well. On May 11, 1890, a man in a rowboat threw a line for a tow to the steamer C. W. Elphicke, Captain Montague, while passing on the Detroit river, half between Mamajuda light and Grassy isle. The line missed connection but caught just right to capsize the boat, spilling the unfortunate man into the river. On passing Mamajuda light Captain Montague, who could render no assistance, signaled the lightkeeper that there was a man overboard and in danger of drowning. Captain Mason was absent with the government boat, and it therefore devolved upon the humanity and courage of Mrs. Mason and her daughter Maebelle to attempt a rescue. The only thing available in the shape of a boat was a small flat-bottomed punt, which was hauled out of the dock at the lighthouse. The mother and daughter succeeded in launching this, and it was quickly decided that the daughter should undertake the work and danger of rowing out to the aid of the perishing man. After about a mile of hard rowing she came up to him near his upturned boat and succeeded in getting him aboard of her light craft, he being nearly exhausted. She then returned to the lighthouse, towing with her the submerged boat. The stranger thus rescued from death by water was profuse in incoherent thanks. This act of heroism was rewarded by the United States Government by the presentation of a life-saving medal of the second class, procured through the efforts of the late Capt. Charles V. Gridley, who commanded the Olympia at the battle of Manila, but who in 1890 was government inspector of the Tenth lighthouse district. At the expiration of his term Commander E. W. Woodward, United States Navy, succeeded him, and on behalf of the United States Government presented the medal to the young lady at the "Cadillac Hotel," Detroit, during the National Convention of the Grand Army of the Republic.
The maiden received the present with the naive modesty so charming in a young maiden, believing that she had but performed an act of humanity. The Ship Masters Association also presented her with a gold life-saving medal with a Maltese cross and gold chain attached. This medal bore the inscription:
Presented to Miss Maebelle L. Mason for heroism in saving life May 11, 1890, by the E.M.B.A. of Cleveland.
From that day all steamers carrying the pennant of the association saluted while passing the lighthouse until the young heroine was wedded June 21, 1892, to Mr. Connell, who carried her away. She now has a son, named Orlo James in honor of her father.
In the month of June, 1893, Captain Mason was transferred to Ashtabula Harbor, where he was placed in charge of the lights, one being on the outer pier with a rear range and fog signal.
Captain Mason was united by marriage to Miss Belle M. Mills, daughter of Capt. Andrew H. Mills, a well known vessel and tug owner of Detroit. Maebelle L. is the only child. The family homestead is pleasantly situated on the hill at No. 1 Walnut street, overlooking the lake and harbor at Ashtabula, Ohio. Both the Captain and his wife are consistent members of the Methodist Church. Mrs. Mason is a public spirited and charitable lady, a charming and talented musician, and does all in her power to make her husband and others happy. Their daughter Maebelle is also proficient in music, having doubtless inherited her mother's taste and skill in producing harmony of sound.
William Masson was born in Fraserburgh, Scotland, in 1870, the son of John Masson, a carpenter. When fifteen years of age he joined the British navy, and was first placed upon the training ship Ganges, where he remained several months, being transferred from her to the Impregnable, another training ship. Thence he went to the training brig Pilot, and then to the Foudroyant, where he was given his first instruction in gunnery, later joining the ship Volage at Portsmouth for a voyage to the West Indies. On the return trip the Volage left Bermuda in March, 1888, and made Portsmouth in seventeen days under sail, running in a gale of wind all the way over. From this vessel Mr. Masson was sent to the man-of-war Monarch, in which he made a trip around the British coast and to Norway, Sweden, Spain, Portugal, Africa and Teneriffe, returning to Portsmouth. He now joined the ship Excellent, in which he remained nine months, taking a course in gunnery and leaving her as gunnery instructor to go to the cruiser Marathon, which he remained on the East India station four years. During that time she spent six months watching for slave-carrying vessels out of Zanzibar, and made one capture. The Marathon cruised about, touching at Trincomali, Ceylon, Calcutta, Madras, Bombay, the Andaman Islands and other points, and at Bombay they had an unenviable experience with the cholera scourge, losing nine men before the plague could be stamped out. At the expiration of the four years the Marathon returned to Portsmouth, and Mr. Masson obtained two-months' leave of absence, before the expiration of which he returned to the vessel, purchased his discharge, and left England to come to the United States. He makes his home in Cleveland, Ohio, and has since been sailing on the fishing boat Loretta Englesbee.
IRVINE U. MASTERS BRONSON, Naomi (wife of Irvine U. Masters)
A vessel master who was one of the prominent citizens of Cleveland in his day, and filling the office of mayor of Cleveland at the time of his death, was Irvine U. Masters. He was born in the year 1820 in New York State, and came to Cleveland when young, and entered the shipyards of Luther Moses, where he was a ship carpenter.
About the year 1850 Mr. Masters entered into partnership with Elihu M. Peck, under the firm name of Peck & Masters, for the construction of vessels. This firm constructed a large number of very successful boats, being among the first to build vessels of large burden. Among the vessels built by them were the propellers Artic, Atlantic, Pacific, Fountain City, Evergreen City, Meteor, Pewabic, and the bark Naomi.
Mr. Masters was married about 1847 to Miss Naomi Bronson, of New York, and had a family of five children, none of whom are living: Irvine; Henry B., who died infancy; Harriet A,; Main S. and Willis U. The latter grew to maturity, became engaged in the iron ore and pig iron business; but at the time of his death, September 8, 1898, was incidentally in the manufacture of incandescent gas lamps.
MAIN S. MASTERS
Main S. Masters was born in Cleveland in the year 1837. He was a son of I. U. Masters, who was mayor of Cleveland at the time of his death.
He commenced sailing in the year 1876 as clerk of the propeller Amazon. This vessel, originally built for a steambarge, was converted into a passenger boat to run in connection with the Grand Haven line between Milwaukee and Grand Haven. During a period of three years Mr. Masters was alternately clerk of the Amazon and of the propeller Forest City, the latter vessel belonging to the same line and following the same route. The Amazon went ashore at Grand Haven in 1879 and went to pieces. This stopped the operation of the line, and Mr. Masters then went to Cleveland entering the office of the Cleveland Rolling Mill Company. Later he went into the office of Masters & Co., dealers in iron ore, and remained with that company until his death, which occurred in 1881.
E. D. MASTERSON
E.D. Masterson, the present popular steward of the Majestic, was born in Prescott, Ontario, October 25, 1850, and is a son of T. C. and Catherine (McGuire) Masterson, natives of Scotland and Ireland, respectively. In 1860 he removed with his parents to Cleveland, where he finished his education in the public schools, and in 1865 began his career on the lakes as waiter on the propeller Empire, of the Northern Transportation Company. Two years later he was on the propeller Wisconsin when she burned on Lake Ontario, May 23, 1867, seventy-two lives being lost. Mr. Masterson was at that time only a boy of seventeen years, and it is a remarkable fact that although is was his second season on the water he was not frightened to an extent which would cause him to give up marine life. He was picked up by a boat after twenty-one hours of exposure, and with the assistance of four other boys saved the lives of two ladies.
After this wreck, Mr. Masterson obtained a position as porter on the City of Concord, and was later steward on the Buckeye and the Oswegatchie, after which he was chief steward of the Northern Transportation line at Cleveland, Ohio, for two years. He next went on the steamer St. Paul as steward for three seasons, and since that time has served in the same capacity on the City of Fremont, and as chief steward of the Canadian Pacific steamships Alberta and Manitoba, serving in that position for nine seasons. He was then chief steward on the steamer City of Collingwood, running from Canada to the World's Fair, and since 1895 has served in the same capacity on the steamer City of Cleveland, of the Detroit and Cleveland line. For the season of 1898 he was steward of the steamship Majestic a first-class passenger steamer belonging to the Georgian Bay & Lake Superior steamship line.
On May 30, 1882, Mr. Masterson was married to Miss Margaret, daughter of John Weber, a large vessel owner, who also conducts a marine store and deals in marine supplies in Cleveland, where he now makes his home. Mr. and Mrs. Masterson have four interesting children, whose names and dates of birth are as follows: Edward, Jr., November 2, 1883; Corinne, June 25, 1887; Mildred, July 15, 1889; and Harry, April 8, 1896. With the exception of the youngest they are all attending school. The family have a pleasant home at 54 Hazard street, Cleveland. Mr. Masterson is one of the oldest passenger stewards in actual service on the Great Lakes at the present time, having filled that position for thirty years, and by all who know him he is held in high regard.
Richard Mastin is the son of Gilbert G. and Catherine Mastin, both of whom died when he was but two years of age, and he subsequently lived with his grandparents until he went to learn his trade. The Mastin family traces its genealogy back to residents of Amsterdam, Holland, and the early settlers of the United States. Richard Mastin's grandparents, David and Rebecca Mastin, were among the pioneers of the lower peninsula of Michigan, having migrated thither from the State of Vermont in 1832, and located on the present site of the city of Port Huron. They then entered the unbroken forest, penetrating twenty miles to a place now known as Brockway, where they took up a section of land and commenced to make a clearing for agricultural purposes. Mr. Mastin, like many of the hardy settlers of that day, found it necessary to blaze a road through the trees of the forest, in order to make his way to and from the trading post at Port Huron. Prosperity crowned his efforts as his land yielded to cultivation, and he was enabled to further his enterprise. He erected the first sawmill (operated by water power) in that part of the country, and cut the first lumber, and later he built what is known as the plank road from Brockway to within six miles of Port Huron. Being the owner of a large tract of valuable timber land he began the business of lumbering, afterward forming a company, with the firm name of Mastin, Crippen & Co., at the head of which he remained until the time of his death in 1886. Gilbert G. Mastin, father of Richard Mastin, was a prominent contractor and bridge builder, and also did a good business grading and excavating for railroads. Between the years 1850 and 1856 he owned interests in several vessels plying the lakes.
Richard Mastin was born in 1858 at Brockway, St. Clair Co., Mich. He received a public-school education, and at an early age became an apprentice to the trades of machinist and boilermaker, which he thoroughly mastered. Later he worked as a journeyman in some of the largest and best shops in the West, among them the Cuyahoga Works and Globe Iron Works, of Cleveland, Ohio, remaining with the latter establishment a number of years. He also held the position of foreman in several machine shops, and his experience in same proved of great advantage to him when he finally turned his attention to marine engineering, in which he has been eminently successful. In the spring of 1881 Mr. Mastin came out as first assistant engineer of the steamer Prindiville and he has also had charge of the machinery of the steamers H. B. Tuttle, V. Swain, Superior and Fred Kelley. He has been chief engineer of some of the largest and best steamers on the lakes, among them the Chenango, Wocoken, McVittie, Matoa, the Lehigh Valley steamship Tuscarora, on which he served two seasons. In 1896 he brought out the new steamer Sir Henry Bessemer, which was the first of the Rockefeller fleet, and at this writing he is still in the employ of the Bessemer Steamship Company. Fraternally, Mr. Mastin is a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association.
Mr. Mastin was united in marriage to Catherine Adamson, daughter of William and Mary Adamson, of Ashtabula, Ohio, and two children have blessed this union - Bessie and Nettie.
CAPTAIN D. W. MATTESON
Captain D.W. Matteson, of Marine City, Mich., has a record of over thirty-six years on the Great Lakes. He was born in Oswego, N.Y. in 1839, son of Capt. Sylvanus Matteson, an expert ship carpenter, who sailed for eleven years and then returned to work in the shipyards.
David W. Matteson spent his early years on a farm, beginning his sailing career in 1859 in the schooner O. V. Brainard. In 1860 he was on the schooner Lively, remaining on shore part of that season. He was in the schooner Stephen A. Douglas when she foundered off Point Betsy, Lake Michigan, on October 30, 1862; this vessel was lost after she had been pumped out and floated, a false bulkhead which had been fitted in her hold to confine the water, giving way and causing the pumps to choke. The accident occurred while the tug Leviathan was towing her to Milwaukee, and all on board escaped with the exception of the cook, who was lost, the crew being taken to Chicago in the propeller Plymouth; Captain Matteson returned to Oswego in the schooner Thornton. The next season he served in the schooner Republic, in 1864 being employed in turn on the bark Margaret R. Goff, the schooner Yankee and the schooner Idaho. The next season he helped to fit out the schooner Eagle Wing and served in her for some time during the summer, remaining on shore part of the season. During the next few years he served as follows: 1866, schooner Ida; 1867, schooner Winnie Wing; 1868, brig St. Joe; 1869, mate of the tow barge Forester; 1870 master of the Forester; 1871, master of the schooner John F. Rust; 1872, master of the schooner C. G. King; 1873 to 1877, inclusive, master of the schooner L. C. Butts. Subsequently he sailed the barge Gardner and the schooners Hoag, Spademan, A. T. Bliss and Nellie Mason. He brought out new the schooner Alverson, sailing her for two years, after which he commanded the barge Godfrey three years, became mate of the steamer Birckhead for part of one season, second mate of the steamer William B. Morley, and mate in the Everett and Norwalk. The season of 1896 was his second year in the last-named vessel.
Captain Matteson in 1862 married Miss Mary Watson, of Oswego. They have had three children, Adele, Eva and Emma, of whom Eva is the only one now living; she is the wife of W. T. Young.
CAPTAIN E. F. MATTESON
Captain E.F. Matteson is thoroughly devoted to his calling, which he has followed during all of his active life. He was born March 3, 1856 at Oswego, N. Y., where his father first saw the light in 1833, living there the greater part of his life; he died at Marine City, Mich., May 24, 1888.
Captain Matteson removed with his parents to Marine City when he was seven years of age, and at that place received his education in the public schools. In his seventeenth year he began his marine life by shipping as seaman on the C. G. King, on which he remained one year, and in the seasons closely following he served on the Dayton, Brainard, D. K. Clint, D. L. Young and Charles Spademan. In 1875 he began steamboating as wheelsman on the P. H. Birckhead, serving in this capacity one season, and he was subsequently employed in the Bay City, J. W. Westcott and Heckley, in 1886 becoming second mate of the last named boat. Succeeding this he was on the William Chisholm for two seasons as second mate and from that boat went to the J. H. Devereux, as mate, on the Mariska as second mate, and on the Newago, W. H. Gilbert and E. M. Peck as mate, finally shipping in that capacity on the Norwalk, on which boat he has remained until the present time; he was given command of her in 1895.
Captain Matteson was married, May 25, 1881, to Miss Jessie Robertson, whose brother Henry R. Robertson, has been steward on the lakes the greater part of his life. To this union has come three children, viz.: Susie A., born June 4, 1882; Verne E., born March 31, 1884; and Alta G., born August 9, 1888, all of whom attend school. Fraternally the Captain is a member of the I. O. O. F. and of the K. O. T. M.
PHILIP C. MAYER
Philip C. Mayer, one of the most prominent engineers sailing out of the port of Sandusky, is a son of Charles and Charlotte (Olemacher) Mayer, and was born March 10, 1860, in Richersander, Province of Nassau, Germany. He came to the United States with his parents, who located at Monroeville, Ohio, and remained there about ten years, finally settling on a farm near that town. Philip C. Mayer attended the district school during the seven years he remained at home on the farm. In the fall of the year 1877 he went to Sandusky and found a berth as deckhand on the steamer Germania, that boat plying between Sandusky and Port Clinton in the wood trade. In the spring of 1878 he shipped on the steambarge Red Jacket, as fireman, finishing the season on the tug Myrtle. The next year he shipped with Captain Estes, a well-known master and vessel owner of Sandusky, as fireman on the steamer Ohio, retaining that berth three seasons. In 1883 he fired the tug Myrtle, out of Sandusky, until October, when he took out his engineer's license and ran her until the close of the season. The next year he was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Philip Walters, plying between Sandusky and Portage river, and he held that position two seasons, in the spring of 1886 taking charge of the machinery of the tug Mystic. The season following he went as chief of the steambarge Norma, until October, finishing on the tug Myrtle. The season of 1888 and part of 1889 he was chief engineer of the steambarge Roland, and he was then appointed to this present position, chief engineer on the passenger steamer American Eagle, which berth he has now held for eight successive years. During the greater part of this time the Eagle has run all winter, and as the ice is very heavy at certain points, the engineer carries a complement of tools and material to replace plates that may be torn off or rolled up during the passage. On many occasions Mr. Mayer has been compelled to stop his boat and renew the plates so that the unguarded hull may not be subjected to the jagged corners of the heavy ice. He is an ardent member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association and the Order of the Red Cross.
Mr. Mayer wedded Miss Bertha Wiedenhafer, of Sandusky, in 1885, and two sons, Charles P., who died young, and George W., have been born to this union. The family residence is at No. 820 Monroe street, Sandusky, Ohio.