History of the Great Lakes
Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield
Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899
CAPTAIN JOHN P. NAGLE
Captain John P. Nagle is an energetic, thoroughgoing business man, born at Passage West, County Cork, Ireland, in 1863, son of John and Ann (McCarty) Nagle. His father was a coast and river pilot and harbor master at Passage West, and his mother was the daughter of Captain McCarty, a coast pilot at Cape Clear, Ireland.
Young Nagle acquired his education in the common schools of his native place. In 1877 he shipped on Her Majesty's man-of-war Shannon as boy, and served four years and seven months. He became an able seaman in order of rating, and a trained torpedo-man and wire-splicer, and also gained some experience in sub-marine diving. During the time he was on the Shannon she made some extensive cruises, going from Devonport to Bantry Bay, thence to Gibraltar, to Malta and the Dardanelles; and young Nagle was a witness of many of the engagements between the Greeks and the Turks. He visited Baseeka Bay with the Shannon, thence to Malta, to Hong Kong, China, and back to Japan; thence to Trincomalee, and via the Suez canal to Gibraltar, thence to Lisbon and the Madeira Islands. The Shannon was then ordered to Rio de Janeiro, South America. On her arrival she proceeded to Montevideo, and through the straits of Magellan to Patagonia, where young Nagle saw his first cannibal. The ship then went to Terra del Fuego, and arrived at Valparaiso two days after the first naval battle between the Chilians and the Peruvians, at which time the latter brought in their prize, the warship Uoscor. The Shannon then proceeded up the coast, and Captain Nagle witnessed the first land battle fought at the Pisagua, between the marines of Chili who had landed, and the troops of Peru. The troops were driven back, and it was in the naval affair at this time that the Peruvian corvette Higgins was sunk.
The Shannon, following up the course of the war, proceeded to Callao, where young Nagle witnessed all the bombardments between the two forces, and the fall of the different towns, including Lima. At the time of the fall of the latter city, nine transports, and the corvette Union, which was a swift and successful blockade runner, all with steam up, and under convoy of a monitor, were run out into the bay and set on fire, and the whole fleet destroyed.
It is said that the long-range gun was put into practical use for the first time during the engagement of Callao. This gun was mounted on a cattle-boat, which had previously plied between Cork and Bristol, and had been sold to the Chilian government under false colors. The gunboat Shannon chased her three days and nights, but could not come up to her.
After witnessing the engagements above noted, the Shannon proceeded to Panama with refugees, where orders were awaiting the man-of-war to return to England. She arrived July 24, 1881, after an absence of four years and seven months. Captain Nagle was then paid off, and granted a leave of absence for seven weeks. In August he took French leave of the English navy, and with his sister took passage on the steamship City of Montreal, landed in New York, and proceeded at once to Bay City, Mich., where he had a brother, who had come to this country previously.
Captain Nagle, shortly after his arrival at Bay City, shipped as seaman with his brother, who was master of the schooner Roscius, until the close of navigation. He passed the next season as mate of the schooners Nelson and Emma Mayes. In the spring of 1883 he was appointed master of the Danube, and in 1884 of the Arizona. The next season he stopped ashore. In the spring of 1886 he purchased an interest in the schooner Star of the North, and sailed her successfully for three years. He then bought an interest in the schooner D. H. Keyes, and sailed her two years. In the spring of 1891 he purchased a third-interest in the schooners Conrad Reid and Fostoria, still holding his interest in the Keyes. He sailed the Conrad Reid two seasons. In 1893 he sailed the schooner Genoa, and in 1894 was appointed master of the steamer W. P. Thew, and sailed her until she was destroyed by fire, which was raging along the docks where she was lying.
After this loss Captain Nagle retired from the lakes, and in the spring of 1895 he went to Toledo, Ohio, and established a business there as vessel agent and ship broker, with W. O. Hall as partner. At the end of the year this firm was dissolved. Mr. Hall withdrawing on account of ill health. Mr. G. G. Hadley and his son then associated themselves with Mr. Nagle, and the business was continued under the name of Nagle & Hadley. They purchased the tug McCormick, and an interest in the Wisconsin, and started the Vessel Owners Towing company of Toledo. Mr. Hadley's health failing after the death of his wife and daughter, he withdrew from the firm, selling his interest to Captain Nagle, who soon after added the tug Saugatuck to his business.
Captain Nagle is an insurance and shipping agent for eleven different concerns, representing Smith, Davis & Co., of Buffalo; the Indemnity Transportation Company of St. Louis, Mo.; the Hocking Coal Company, the Turney & Jones Coal Co., and the Baltimore & Ohio Coal Co., - all of Columbus, Ohio; and is agent for John T. Solom, R.W. Copeland, Gostine & Barber, and W. H. Vance & Co., all of Toledo; O.W. Shipman, of Detroit, and the Thompson Towing and Wrecking Association of Port Huron, Mich.; he also does all the marine business for the Cincinnati, Hamilton & Dayton railroad. Captain Nagle is a member of the American Association of Masters and Pilots, Harbor No. 43.
On September 22, 1889, he was united in marriage to Miss Louise Webster, of Picton, Ontario. The children born to this union are Lydia Marie; Myrtle Louise, and John Michael. One infant, a twin to John died shortly after birth. The family residence is at No. 1712 Monroe Street, Toledo, Ohio.
CAPTAIN GEORGE R. NAPIER
Captain George R. Napier, who has been in Buffalo harbor tugs in various capacities nearly all his life, is the son of Peter and Agnes (Rousia) Napier, the former of whom was a malster by trade, in Buffalo, and died in 1882. The mother died one year later. The Captain was born in Elmira, N.Y., January 26, 1845. His education, however, was obtained in the public schools of Buffalo.
At the early age of fourteen years our subject accepted the berth of cook for three men on the tug J.B. Whip, owned by Capt. James Bampton, his compensation being fifty cents per day, and remained on her two seasons. From that time until the years 1871 he was deckhand and fireman on various tug in Buffalo harbor, during that season being master of the tug R.R. Hefford, owned by Captain Alonzo Cheney, on which he continued four seasons consecutively. Captain Napier has served in some capacity in almost all the tugs of Buffalo harbor, and also in a few other ports - Cleveland, etc. He served for about fifteen years with Hand and Johnson's line, was on the tugs Ash and Danforth, and for three months during 1896 was with Maytham's line. During part of 1896 was also master of the W.S. Carkin, of the Buffalo Dredging Company. He is a member of the Buffalo Harbor Masters & Pilots Association, and was charter member of the Tug Pilots Association.
On April 8, 1875, Captain Napier was married, at Buffalo, to Julia Carney, daughter of John Carney, of Buffalo, and they have two children: Clark J., now (1898) aged eighteen; and Cora B., aged sixteen years. The family reside at No. 33 Essex street. Captain Napier has been one of the most successful of the masters in Buffalo harbor, and his success has been due to his own merit.
CAPTAIN CHARLES E. NASH
Captain Charles E. Nash, an experienced tug man of Buffalo harbor, was born at Dunkirk, N.Y., November 9, 1851, a son of Thomas and Julia (Wyzoon) Nash, both now deceased. The father was a Vermonter and a sailor on the Great Lakes for many years before his decease; was also at one time in the United States navy. In the early days he was engaged in fishing at Ontonagon, Lake Superior, and was the first man to introduce gill-net fishing on Lake Erie, which he carried on at Dunkirk, N.Y. He lost his life on the Isthmus of Panama in a railroad accident caused by the natives tearing up the rails, thus throwing the train off the track into a ditch. There were six children in his family, only two now living, however, besides the subject of this sketch: Louise, wife of Emil Barkenoitz, a candy manufacturer, and Henry M. Nash, who is by trade a marine engineer, located at Brooklyn, running a stationary engine.
The subject of this sketch came to Buffalo with his parent when about four years old, and there attended Public School No. 8. He began active life as ferry boy on Buffalo creek at which occupation he remained one year. In 1865 he went upon his first tug, the Old Bull, on which he remained two seasons as deckhand, and he was subsequently cook, fireman and engineer of various harbor tugs at Buffalo, his first experience in the latter capacity being upon the tug R.R. Hefford during the season of 1877. That tug was blown up a year later while coming out of Commercial slip, and the only man saved was George Van Avery, the fireman, who is still living and on the lakes at the present time. Captain Nash was in the immediate vicinity when the explosion took place and rendered the necessary assistance in helping to care for Van Avery. In 1885 Captain Nash first became master of a tug, and for that season was on the T.M. Moore. During the succeeding two seasons he was master, respectively, of the James Adams and John Kilderhouse, and for the seasons of 1888-89 of the E.C. Maytham. For the next season and a half he was master of the C.L. Chamberlain, and for the last half of 1891 of the Hi Smith. He was then master of the Medina until the middle of the season of 1892, which he finished in the Maytham. During the next two seasons he was on the S.W. Gee, for that of 1875 in the Acme, and for the seasons of 1896, 1897 and 1898 he was also master of the Gee. Captain Nash is a member of Local Harbor No. 41, of the American Association of Masters and Pilots.
On September 14, 1886, at Buffalo, Captain Nash was married to Miss Agnes Logan, by whom he has two children, Grace and Charles, Jr. The family reside at No. 1012 West avenue, Buffalo, New York.
Felix Neider, a well-known and thoroughly competent marine engineer sailing out of the port of Manitowoc, Wis., is a highly esteemed employee of the Goodrich Steamship Company, for whom he has been in various active capacities for the past thirty years, with the exception of the short period when employed in the railroad shops of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Company. He was born in Austria, December 28, 1849, and is a son of Vincent and Annie Neider, who came to the United States in 1853, locating in Manitowoc, Wis. The father died the following year, and the children then looked to the mother for guidance until 1874, when she too, passed away.
Felix Neider was very young when he was thrown upon his own resources, but previous to this had enjoyed a few years in the public schools of Manitowoc. At the age of twelve years he began to make his own way in the world, and in 1866 shipped as boy on the schooner Addie, with Captain Davis, going the next spring on the schooner Gazine, and closing the season on the barge Plymouth Rock. It was in 1868 that he entered the Goodrich employ as fireman on the steamer Manitowoc, new at that time. During the year 1869 he worked in the shipyard at Manitowoc for the same company, passing the next season before the mast on the barge Plymouth Rock. In 1871 he again worked in the shipyard, but the next year he took out an engineer's license and was appointed as second in the steamer Manitowoc. After laying her up, he went to work in the shipyard until the steamer Menominee commenced running in 1873, when he joined her as second engineer. He then passed four years in the shipyard, and in the spring of 1878 was appointed second engineer on the steamer Corona, followed by two years of dry dock work for Rand & Burger, also running the tug Margaret for a short time. He was employed the next year in the locomotive shops of the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad Company, located in Milwaukee. In the spring of 1883 was appointed second engineer of the Sheboygan, holding that office four seasons, after which he ran the tug Arctic for the same owners. In 1888 he was made second engineer on the steamer Chicago, and the spring of 1889 found him again on board the Sheboygan, holding the office of chief, which he filled for two seasons, when he was given the Chicago to run, remaining on her seven consecutive seasons, and giving a good account of his engines. In the spring of 1898, he came out as chief of the steamer Sheboygan, plying between Chicago and Green Bay ports.
Socially, he is a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association; Ancient Order of United Workmen, and also of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
On December 12, 1871, Mr. Neider was united in marriage to Miss Annie Elizabeth Green, daughter of William and Henrietta (Cox) Green, natives of Weymouth, England, who came to the United States about 1847, and located at Manitowoc, Wis., where Mrs. Neider was born July 17, 1852. The children born to this union are Laura Edith; George Burt, who is in business in Manitowoc; Ralph M.; Archie F. and Gordon G. The family residence is in Manitowoc, Wisconsin.
ROBERT H. NEILL
Robert H. Neill, of Cleveland, Ohio, who was chief engineer of the propeller J. W. Moore during 1896, received his early education and training with the view of following an entirely different calling from the one to which the greater part of his active life has been devoted. His father, Samuel Neill, was for a long period in charge of the gas works which applied a suburb of the city of Belfast, Ireland, and the son was brought up to be his father’s successor. Therefore, on the death of the latter, Robert assumed his duties and held the position of superintendent for four years, when he came to the United States. He settled in Philadelphia in 1868, being then twenty-seven years of age, and the next year he sailed between Philadelphia and Chester, Penn., on the Delaware river, as fireman, on the steamer Chester. Soon after he removed to the region of the lakes and commenced his experience thereon, as oiler, on the propeller Thomas A. Scott, the passenger steamer Badger State and the propeller Commodore. He was second engineer of the S. D. Caldwell for two seasons, of the City of Fremont, the Wetmore and the Canisteo one season each, of the B. W. Blanchard four seasons, and then spent one season each on the Raleigh, the Rochester and the Continental. After this, for almost a year, he was in Denver, Colo., as superintendent of the Denver Gas Light Company, returning, however, to the lakes, and taking the position of second engineer on the Chamberlain and Republic. In 1884 he became chief of the Colonial, and he subsequently served as chief of the Specular (the first year she was a steambarge), Roumania, Pioneer, Alex, Nimick, Smith Moore, Fred Kelley, Oscar Townsend and J.W. Moore.
Mr. Neill was married to Miss Mary C. Service, of Cleveland, in 1882. Their two children are named Hamilton Cummings and Honora Jennie.
CAPTAIN LAWRENCE G. NELSON
Captain Lawrence G. Nelson, manager and steward of the passenger steamer Mabel Bradshaw, holds a British Admiralty certificate as master, and has passed much of his marine life on salt water. He was born in Napa, Cal., October 1, 1859, a son of John Raymond and Martha (Murphy) Nelson, the former a native of Hull, England, the latter of Londonderry, Ireland. The father was a noted master of ocean-going passenger steamers and full-rigged ships, among which were the Queen, Atlantic, John O'Gaunt, barkentine Maroawilla, and many others, some of them plying in the East India trade. In 1849, during the gold excitement, he went to California, remaining there with his family twelve years, and upon his return to England retired with a comfortable competency. He died April 20, 1874; the mother is still living in Coppington.
Lawrence G. Nelson spent his boyhood in England, and when he reached the age of twelve years beame an apprentice on the ship John O'Gaunt, of Liverpool, serving three years, and transferring from her to the John Gedie for two years. He then returned to the United States, and while in New York City attended a school of navigation for six months; he still carries his sextant, but finds no practical use for it on the lakes. In 1875 he shipped as seaman in the barkentine Oldroyd, of Dublin, with Captain Murphy, and later joined the Truro, of Halifax, Nova Scotia, making a round trip to the West Indies. He was next in the fore-and-aft schooner W. A. Richmond, in the coasting trade, and then for four years sailed in the Rio packet boat Ada Bonni, and in the Black Eagle and Grey Eagle to South American ports, in the coffee trade. At Callao he joined the full-rigged ship Ceylon, and was in South American waters during the war between Chili and Peru, his boat putting in at Lima where, upon going ashore, he was "Shanghaied" by the Wasgars. He made his escape after two weeks although wounded in the leg by a bullet and claiming English protection was not further molested. In 1879 Captain Nelson joined the United States navy, shipping out of Callao as seaman in the frigate Pensacola, the flag ship of the fleet on the Pacific ocean, and while he was in her he visited every port on the Pacific coast. When she reached San Francisco she went out of commission, and as the Captain's time had expired, he was transferred to the receiving ship at that port and given his honorable discharge.
Returning to Liverpool, Captain Nelson, in 1883, applied for and received a master's certificate, being appointed captain of the brigantine Jessie Salpiden, trading to Mediterranean ports, which he commanded two years. In 1884 he took passage in one of the White Star line steamers for New York, thence journeying the lakes, when he shipped in the Christina Nelson as steward. The Nelson went ashore and became a wreck off Bailey's Harbor, on Lake Michigan, and our subject, being a strong swimmer, reached the shore and built a large fire to light up the surroundings for the rest of the crew, all of whom were saved. The readers of the Chicago papers at that time may remember the episode of Steward Nelson saving the galley cat, which jumped upon his shoulders as he let himself into the water and held her vantage until he landed. The next year he shipped as steward in the schooner Jessie L. Boyce, holding that berth until 1888, when he was appointed steward in the steamer Huron City, finishing the season in the J. C. Sint. In the same year he purchased a hotel in Michigan City, which he conducted for two years, although he continued to sail, shipping the following season in the steamer Oneida with Capt. George Pardee, and then for a season as steward in the schooner Stafford. The ensuing winter he entered the Northwestern College to learn dentistry, in which he continued as student and practitioner for four winters. Captain Nelson was steward in the passenger steamer Saugatuck three seasons, and after leaving her joined the passenger steamer City of Holland in the same capacity. In 1894 he purchased a hotel in Pentwater, Mich., which he carried on until it was destroyed by fire in the fall of 1897. The same year he was made steward of the steamer Mabel Bradshaw, plying between White Lake, Pentwater and Chicago, and in 1898 was appointed to the composite office which he now holds - manager and steward on that boat. For several winters he has been steward of the crew stationed at the city water works intake to prevent the ice from choking off the supply of water; is also assistant bookkeeper, and is a member of the Civil Service of the city of Chicago.
CAPTAIN RICHARD NEVILLE, JR.
Captain Richard Neville, Jr., is perhaps the youngest steamboat master on the lakes. He was born in 1875, in Cleveland, Ohio, son of Captain Richard and Agnes (Lowe) Neville, and, as will be seen, this young steamboat captain's sailor blood is inherent, as his father is master of the steamer John W. Moore and an old-time mariner, and his mother's brothers, Capts. John and James Lowe, are both steamboat masters of high repute.
Richard Neville attended the Cleveland public schools the allotted time, and in 1890 commenced his career on the lakes as lookout on the steamer Samuel Mather. From that date up to the present time his advancement has been rapid, as he showed an especial fitness for his chosen profession. In the spring of 1891 he shipped with his father on the steamer John W. Moore, as watchman, and the following season as wheelsman on the same boat. In 1893 he was appointed second mate, holding that berth three seasons, and in the spring of 1896 he was advanced to the position of mate of the steamer Australasia, with Capt. Robert Pringle, the Australasia was destroyed by fire on the 17th of October, that year, and now lies in Whitefish Bay, about seven miles from shore, a total wreck. The Captain and crew escaped in the yawlboat. Young Neville finished that season as mate of the City of Glasgow, laying up the steamer at Milwaukee. In the spring of 1897 he secured his license as steamboat master and was appointed to the steamer Joseph S. Fay, which he has since sailed successfully. Captain Neville makes his home with his parents at No.35 West Clinton street, Cleveland, Ohio.
WILLIAM HARVEY NEWCOMB
William Harvey Newcomb, formerly secretary of the Associated Boat Owners, was born in Lewiston, Niagara Co., N.Y., September 22, 1840, a son of John and Sarah (Record) Newcomb, the latter being a daughter of Jedediah Wilbur Record and wife. In the fall of 1840 John and Sarah Newcomb moved to Oneida county, N.Y., where the father followed farming and civil engineering, as he had done previously for some years. Somewhere between 1840 and 1845 he went to Kansas with his two eldest sons, and others, and in Osage county, that State, followed surveying lands for the government, and remained there thus occupied for about nine years, at the end of which period he died, in 1851. He and his sons had, at one time, about five thousand acres of land in that county. His two eldest sons were Artemus and Alexander. After his death they went to Nebraska, and with the permission of the United States built a bridge across the Platte or Nebraska river, and charged toll to all parties going to Black Hills or coming from the West over the bridge. They are also now dead. The other children are John and Sarah and Althea, and William H., the subject of this sketch. Mrs. John Newcomb, the mother, died in 1883. She had moved in about 1845 to Palmyra, N.Y., and lived there with her two youngest children until 1850, when she moved to the town of Farmington, Wayne county. William Harvey Newcomb moved to Hartland, a short distance north of Lockport, New York.
William H. Newcomb attended the district or common school in Palmyra and Hartland, and then himself returned to Palmyra, where he entered a butcher shop, in which he spent four years. Then going on the canal as driver, he worked in that capacity for one season, after which for two seasons he was helmsman on the canal. He then ran a canal boat for the Western Transportation Company three or four years, and in 1863 went to the town of Elma, N.Y., where he bought a farm of 100 acres, also embarked in the lumber business, at the same time carrying on his farm. He bought timber, cut it up into lumber and wood, and shipped all to Buffalo market.
In 1872 Mr. Newcomb removed to Buffalo where he opened a ship chandlery and a grocery shop at Black Rock, and continued business there until 1880, when he built his present store at the foot of Henry street, Buffalo, where he carries on the same business he formerly did at Black Rock, in the meantime being and still is quite extensively interested in the boats on the Erie canal.
In September, 1895, Mr. Newcomb, Captain Gillson, L.P. Smith and Mr. O'Rourke organized the Boat Owners Association, having an office in Spalding's Exchange Building, at the corner of Main street and the Terrace, Mr. Newcomb being made secretary of the association, which office he held until the dissolution January 1, 1898. Politically he is usually a Democrat, but is in no way bound by party ties, being capable of sustaining what to him for the time being appears to be the best politics and the best men. He and his family attend the Methodist Church.
Mr. Newcomb was married June 13, 1861, to Miss Hannah McHenery, daughter of Dennis and Sarah (Smith) McHenery, and they have the following children: Edward, who married Miss Mary E. Grogan, of Buffalo; William H., who married Miss Jennie Redner, of Buffalo; Emory W., who married Miss Carrie Roth, daughter of Nicholas Roth, and has one child named La Vergne; and Emma M., who resides at her father's home. Mr. Newcomb lives at No. 428 Seneca street, Buffalo, New York. He has been one of the successful men in life, having started entirely empty handed, and is in every respect a self-made man. >From a long experience in the needs and necessities of the canal, he was largely consulted by Mr. Aldrich and his assistants, in the repairs and improvements made on the canal from time to time. Mr. Newcomb is one of the largest canal boat owners on the canal.
Wallace Newell was born January 16, 1857, at Springfield, Ont., and there spent the first twenty years of his life. He is one of a family of twelve children born to James and Jane (Lindsay) Newell, natives of Ireland who spent the greater part of their lives in Lower Canada, where the father was engaged in farming; he died February 17, 1872, the mother on February 23, 1893.
After attending the public schools Wallace Newell entered the employ of W & J Marr and served three years to the blacksmith's trade, subsequently going to Alvinston, Ont., where for three years he followed his trade in various shops, and then conducted a blacksmith and carriage works five years. At the end of this time, coming to Detroit, he opened a shop for ship and general blacksmithing which he has continued up to the present time. Mr. Newell employs five men in his business, doing general repair work for such lines as the D. & C., Ward, Star, and Ashley & Dustin.
Mr. Newell was married March 31, 1886 to Miss Kate McLachlan, of Detroit, daughter of Capt. D. A. McLachlan, a well-known vesselmaster, who has spent forty years with the D. & C. line. Their children are Duncan M. born January 23, 1889, who is attending school at the present time; Edward, born October 13, 1892, and Lindsay W., born July 11, 1895. Mr. Newell is a member of the Masonic Lodge, Eastern Star, Foresters and A. O. U. W., of Detroit.
RICHARD LANO NEWMAN
Richard Lano Newman, son of R.L. and Anna J. (Penny) Newman, was born in 1864 at Weymouth, Dorsetshire, England. He was educated at Kimberly Grammer School, Falmouth, and at Berkbeck Institute, London. In 1881 he entered the office of John Penn & Son, Marine engineers of London, as a pupil.
Here he remained seven years, during the last two of which he was in the drawing office of the firm. At the end of this term, he entered the employ of the Earle Ship Building Company, Hull, England where he remained four years, for three and one-half of which he was chief draughts man, under the direction of A. E. Seaton. This engagement was followed by one of like duration with Maudsley, Son & Field, of Lambeth, London, England. During the time he was thus employed he was engaged on the designs of machinery for the Italian, Spanish, Brazilian, Chilian and British Men-of-war; in fact, in this time this company had under construction over 200,000 horse power of machinery. He then resigned this position to take up that of the managership of the British Yaryan Company, which he resigned in 1890, and came to the United States.
On the recommendation of Chief Engineer Ayers, who was then chief of the Brooklyn navy yard, and who had made the acquaintance of Edward Newman while on the China station (and who, for a number of years, was engineer-in-chief of the Portsmouth dock yard, England), he secured a position in the office of William Cramp & Sons, and in about six months was established as one of their leading draughtsman, and had charge of quite a lot of machinery turned out by this celebrated firm. He was engaged more or less in the construction of the New York, Columbia, Minneapolis, St. Paul, St Louis, Brooklyn and Iowa. In a correspondence which passed between him and Mr Pankhurst, manager of the Globe Iron Works Company of Cleveland, Ohio, he was tendered and accepted the position of chief engineer in the yards of this shipbuilding company. About six months after he was offered the position of chief engineer and naval architect, which he accepted; and on the final illness of Mr. Pankhurst, which necessitated travel and rest, Mr. Newman was appointed assistant general manager, and, on the death of Mr. Pankhurst, he succeeded him as general manager.
Mr. Newman is a member of the Society of Naval Engineers, Washington, D.C.; of the Institute of Naval Architects, and of the Civil Engineers Club, of Cleveland. He was first president of the engineers section of Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, and on the organization of Beacon College, Philadelphia, he was appointed professor of mechanical engineering, theoretical and applied mechanics, etc.
Mr. Newman was united in marriage with Miss Anna Charlotte Huntley Mitchell, of London, England, an adopted daughter of Mr. Annetts, of Wiltshire, England, the ceremony being performed in St. Mary's Church, New York City.
THOMAS FRANKLIN NEWMAN
Thomas Franklin Newman was born in Cleveland, Ohio, April 8, 1853, at which port he was reared and obtained a liberal education. In 1872 he entered the employ of the Detroit & Cleveland Steam Navigation Co., as receiving clerk in Cleveland, and remained with the firm for twenty years, resigning to take the general management of the Cleveland & Buffalo Transit line. Mr. Newman's business career has been of a steady and successful growth, beginning as clerk with the Detroit & Cleveland line and working his way upward to the office of general agent at Cleveland, succeeding the late Capt. L.A. Pierce, in 1882, and ultimately resigning that position to assume the duties of the more important office in the new line of steamers.
In 1882, Mr. Newman married Miss Carrie L. Glover, daughter of Luther M. Glover, of Howell, Mich. He has resided in Cleveland since that time, and is highly respected by his business associates and widely known as a business-like and courteous traffic manager.
STEPHEN L. NEWNHAM
Stephen L. Newnham, a prominent engineer sailing out of Saugatuck, Mich., is a man of many good qualities, both of head and heart, and has the confidence and esteem of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, of which he is an efficient member. He is a charter member of Lodge No. 67 of that body, and has filled the office of presi-dent three years, vice-president one year, and was chosen to represent his lodge as delegate to Washington in 1896.
Mr. Newnham was born in London, England, September 9, 1845, a son of Ricard B. and Hannah C. (Harrison) Newnham. His parents were natives of England, the father being born in London, the mother in Staffordshire. During his residence in London the father was captain on the police force, and was advanced to the office of inspector, being stationed at the Bow street police station. In the fall of 1861 he came to the United States, locating first in Cleveland, Ohio, and in that year, at the opening of the Civil war, he enlisted in the United States navy, and was assigned to a gunboat on the Mississippi river. He took an honorable part in the assault on Vicksburg, Miss., and was with the fleet that ran the batteries of Island No. 10, and in other important engagements in which that fleet participated. In 1864 he accompanied Gen. Banks' expedition up the Red river, the objects and success of which are fully detailed in history. He was honorably discharged in 1865, at the close of the war, and went to Saugatuck, Mich., where he purchased a plat of land, and then sent to England for his family, who had resided in Greenock during his absence of four years. They arrived February 19, 1866, and proceeded to Saugatuck to enjoy the home prepared for them, and where they still reside, the father having passed his seventy-ninth birthday on May 24, 1898, and the mother her eighty-first in August, of the same year. He is an ardent member of the Grand Army of the Republic, and commander of the post in Saugatuck. He has been justice of the peace in that city twenty-four years, school director sixteen years, and has also filled the offices of township supervisor and township clerk. Up to the time he retired from active life he was engaged in the shoe business.
Stephen L. Newnham, the subject of this sketch, attened the penny schools in London, England, and the public schools in Saugatuck, Mich. He learned the blacksmith's trade with John Priest, serving a three-years' apprenticeship, but in the spring of 1877 he shipped on the steamer R. C. Britain as fireman, remaining on her two seasons. He then took out engineer's papers and was appointed first assistant on the passenger steamer G. P. Heath, filling this position on her two seasons. This was followed by a season on the steamer Mary Groh as second. In the spring of 1882 he was appointed chief engineer of the G. P. Heath, plying between Saugatuck and Chicago. In 1885 the Heath was put on the route between White Lake, Muskegon and other ports; in the fall of that year she went ashore on the beach south of Saugatuck and sunk, nothing being visible but her smokestacks. In 1886 Mr. Newnham put machinery into the freight steamer H. A. Root, owned by the same company, and engineered her until 1892, when he was made chief of the passenger steamer H. W. Williams, plying between South Haven and Chicago. During the three years he was in the employ of the H. W. Williams Transportation Company he was chief engineer of the fleet. In the spring of 1895 he was appointed chief engineer of the steamer M. T. Green, and the next season he brought out new the passenger steamer Bon Ami, and was with her until the close of the second season, when he took the steamer Edwin S. Tice, remaining chief of her up to 1898. He has twenty issues of license.
Of the other members of the Newnham family, John is still living in England. He served seven years in the Clyde shipyards, and learned all branches of the ship and engine-building industry, after which he passed alloted time in the school ship Hoagley to prove that he could put into practical use what he had learned. He is now carrying on as business partner in a bell foundry. Lucy married Capt. Edwin Crossman, an officer in the British Merchant machine, who sailed the full-rigged ship Columbia. Charlotte, unmarried is living in London with her sister. Mary Ann married Philip Frost, a merchant in London. Richard L. is an attorney-at-law in Grand Rapids, Mich., and assistant United States district attorney for the Northern District of Michigan. He is a graduate of the Ypsilanti Academy. Elisabeth is the widow of Joseph G. Ainsley, formerly a school teacher and graduate of the Saugatuck high school. Maria A. is principle of a public school in Hastings, Nebraska.
On December 6, 1879, Stephen L. Newnham was married to Miss Althea, daughter of Amos and Margaret A. (Geneve) Deming; and the children born to this union are Amos Wayne, Bessie L., Hazel Frances, Harry Waterman, and Richard B. The family residence is in Saugatuck, Michigan.
G. M. NEWTON
G.M. Newton is the son of O. W. and Mary (Aldrich) Newton, and was born May 18, 1841, at Royal Oak, Mich., where he has lived the greater portion of his life. O. W. Newton, a blacksmith by trade, was a native of Vermont. He died in 1856, being survived by his wife, who died in 1888.
At the public schools of Royal Oak G. M. Newton received his education, and at the age of eleven years went to New York City, where he served an apprenticeship of seven years in the shop Fletcher & Harrison. He then went to South Carolina, and was engaged in setting up machinery until the war broke out, when he joined Company B, 3rd N.Y. V. I., and served for some time. He then joined the 3rd Michigan Cavalry, and served until 1863, when he was taken prisoner in Mississippi. He was then imprisoned at Andersonville and Henderson until March, 1864; when removed to Salisbury, N. C., he jumped from a train into a running stream of water and thereby obtained his freedom. He returned to New York and was mustered out of service August 19, 1865. He then began the marine life by going on the Dean Richmond, upon which he served as second engineer one trip, and as chief the remainder of the season. The following year he went on the John Martin, and then served two years on the St. Paul and one season on the Concord. At this time he came off the lakes, and was employed for some time in a mill at East Saginaw. He put engines in the H. A. Ballentine and the Annie Moiles, and then on account of ill health he did not work regularly for four years. Upon his return to the water he spent three and a half years on the Hiawatha, two years on the Egyptian, four years on the Colgate Hoyt, and in 1896 went on the Bulgaria.
In November, 1874, he was married to Miss Mildred Reynolds of Royal Oak, Mich. They have three children: Mary A., Jessie T., and Edward B., all of whom are in school and reside at their father's home.
Mr. Newton is a member of the Masonic Lodge, the A. O. U. W., and the I. O. O. F.
Upon the Empire State in 1871 he was shipwrecked at Long Point, Lake Erie, but all lives were saved by means of rafts which were made from lumber which composed the ship's cargo. He then experienced the same event on the tug Sprague in 1884, but in this was attended the same good fortune in a means of escape.
ISAAC W. NICHOLAS
Isaac W. Nicholas, who has held an important place among owners and builders of vessels in Cleveland, was born in St. Albans, Vt., in 1815.
John Nicholas, father of our subject, was a farmer, and migrated with his family to Ohio in 1829, making the latter part of the journey in the steamer Henry Clay. They lived at Florence Corners, near Milan, for several years, after which they removed to Vermilion. There Isaac W. Nicholas entered the shipyards, being associated with Capts. Alva Bradley and Philip Minch in vessel building for over thirty-five years. In 1865 Mr. Nicholas purchased five acres of land on Wilson avenue, Cleveland, on which he has since made his home. For some time after taking up his residence in that city he continued vessel building at Vermilion, but later gave up this business to care for his vessels, employing others to build for him. Mr. Nicholas is a stockholder in the Cleveland Ship Building Company, and is still interested in the steel steamers Onoko, I.W. Nicholas, William Chisholm, Devereux and Wade, the wooden steamers Glidden and Philip Minch, and the schooners Negaunee, Warmington and Sophia Minch, belonging to the Bradley and Minch fleet. He was one of the men who combined to build the Onoko, the first steel vessel constructed in Cleveland.
Mr. Nicholas was married, in 1843, to Miss Louis(sic) Whelpley, and the children born to them are George D. and Frederic M. The latter is a singer of considerable note, having a tenor voice of beautiful quality, and is much sought after in local concert and enter-tainment circles. George D. Nicholas conducts an extensive fishing business at Vermilion. The family residence is at No. 1314 Wilson avenue, Cleveland.
CAPTAIN JOSEPH NICHOLSON
Captain Joseph Nicholson, one of the stalwart old-time lake mariners, is now a prominent citizen of Detroit, Michigan. He was born September 25, 1826, near Kilkeen, County Down, Ireland, about half a mile from the Irish Channel. The Captain has been superintendent of the House of Correction in Detroit some twenty years, and notwithstanding his mature age, is full of vitality, taking an active, public-spirited part in the municipal affairs of the "City of the Straits."
Captain Nicholson is a son of Thomas and Jane (Small) Nicholson. His grandfather, Joseph Nicholson, was a country gentleman in good circumstances. Thomas Nicholson received an education in the military schools of Dublin, and was commissioned as lieutenant, being soon afterward promoted to captain of a body of troops designated as yeomanry, equivalent to American militia. Grandfather Small, on the maternal side, took an active part in the Irish Rebellion of 1798, and was considered as a "firebrand" by the government. A troop, known as the "Welsh Horse," was sent to procure his arrest for what was considered treasonable speeches and practices. He was convicted and sentenced to be shot. His cousin, General Waring, who had espoused the side of the government, secured his release, but his estates were confiscated and were afterward bestowed on General Waring's descendants by royal grant. It is owing to this reversion of hereditary estates that the Great Lakes are indebted for a skillful boatman and shipmaster, and the City of Detroit for so efficient a superintendent of its House of Correction. He had peculiar educational advantages in his youth. After attending the public schools of his native parish, he became a pupil in a girl's academy, where he remained eighteen months with good profit to himself. He also attended a school of navigation, and received private instruction from a retired sea captain. As a boy he was an expert boatman, and excelled as a strong swimmer and surfman, being instrumental in many rescues from watery graves.
In 1844 young Nicholson adopted the life of a sailor, joining the ship Hannibal at Liverpool, in the coasting trade, as boy. After making several trips, he shipped on the full-rigged ship Sisters, of London, and made a voyage to America. Leaving the ship at Quebec, he took passage on a steamer and ascended the St. Lawrence river, first stopping at Brockville, thence proceeding to Toronto and Hamilton, and finally to Oakville, where he secured work in a shipyard and sail-loft. There he remained until the spring of 1846, when he shipped on the schooner Elizabeth, transferring to the Amelia, and closing the season on the Royal Tar. That winter he worked in the sail and rigging loft, repairing and making sails. In the spring of 1847 he went to Oswego and shipped with captain Duncan McCollum on the new canal schooner Manitou. This was during the days of the faction, race and religious fights on the line of the canals. One of his duties was to assist in the opening of the locks, and he was always prepared to take to the waters of the canal in an emergency, being barefoot and wearing only a guernsey shirt and pants. In 1848 he went to Cleveland and joined the schooner Jenny Lind, with Captain Spencer as pilot, later transferring to the schooner Argo, with Captain Harrington. He left the Argo at Oswego, and took passage on a steamer for Lewiston, thence traveled by stage to St. Catherine's. Ship fever and cholera being prevalent at Kingston, he went to Buffalo.
In the spring of 1849 Mr. Nicholson shipped with Captain John Bantom in the brig Sarah Walbridge, and later with Capt. G. Britton on the schooner Oconto. During the next season he shipped with Captain Moore on the brig Cumberland, which carried the first cargo of piles used in the construction of the Waugoshane lighthouse. While he was a shipmate on the brig, it was occasionally necessary to take to the yawl boat and row to another vessel in order to borrow food, the supply on his own vessel being inadequate. In the spring of 1851 he entered the employ of Capt. Eber Ward as wheelsman on the steamer Detroit, closing the season on the Champion, and remaining with that noted line eleven years. While with Captain Ward, there was but no one on the vessel nearer to him than our subject, and, if the steamer had to make unusually early trips in the spring or late ones in the fall, Captain Nicholson was always called upon to make those trips. In the spring of 1852 he was wheelsman on the steamer Sam Ward; in 1853 second mate on the steamer Arctic, remaining part of the next season, when he transferred to the steamer E. K. Collins. On April 27, 1854, he effected a notable rescue, which was recognized by the citizens of Chicago by the presentation of a gold watch engraved with the legend:
Presented by the citizens of Chicago to Capt. Joseph Nicholson
in appreciation of his noble and gallant efforts to save the lives
of the crew of the schooner Merchant, in distress off Chicago,
April 27, 1854.
Two out of the seven men on the wrecked vessel were saved, and the Captain says that Capt. Charles McGill, now living in Chicago, is the only one alive who was with him at this time.
In the spring of 1855 Captain Nicholson was appointed master of the steamer Arctic. The next season he sailed the steamer Planet, until she was sold to a railroad company. In the spring of 1857 he came out on the steamer Montgomery, and sailed her three years. In 1860 he was again appointed master of the Planet, she having reverted to the Ward line. In 1861 Captain Nicholson and others built the tug John Prindiville, and the Captain sailed her until the fall of 1864, in the meanwhile doing some notable wrecking jobs.
In 1865 Captain Nicholson was appointed marine inspector for the Detroit Fire and Marine Insurance Company. He performed the duties of that responsible position equitably, and at times took command of vessels when the regular masters were sick or ashore for other reasons. During the time he was inspector for this company he, with Capt. John Rice and Capt. Charles Morley, thoroughly inspected every vessel owned on the lakes, both in the United States and Canada, for this company. He took the steamer Keweenaw around for Capt. A. Stewart, and the Meteor for Capt. Thomas Wilson. He was on the jury before whom Capt. George Cleveland was tried for manslaughter for the sinking of the Pewaubic while he was mate in charge of the Meteor. It was through some questions by Juror Nicholson that enough logic was evolved from the mass of testimony to acquit Captain Cleveland, and Judge Wilkin, before whom the case was tried, gave the junior a high compliment from the Bench. The Captain has also been subpoenaed as an expert in many marine cases. Judge H. B. Brown, one of the associate judges on the Supreme Bench of the United States, frequently called upon him to sit on the Bench with him in the cases of trials of difficult collision cases, when tried in Detroit, and no such cases were ever set aside by the superior courts.
In 1878 Captain Nicholson resigned his agency with the marine insurance copany to accept the onerous position of superintendent of the Detroit House of Correction, and by good business methods he has raised it from a burden on the community to become a paying institution, which is appreciated and testified to by his being chosen to fill the office seven successive terms of three years each. During the twenty years he has had charge of the institution, he has turned over to the city of Detroit, over and above all expenses, more than half a million dollars. His first appointment was made by Mayor George Langdon. Since then the State Legislature changed the law, and his incumbency has been subject to the board of inspectors. In 1885 he was largely instrumental in organizing the Wardens Association of the Unitd States and Canada, of which body he was president many years, resigning that office in 1897. He is a member of the National Prison Association, of which ex-President Hayes was at one time president.
The Captain is an ardent and popular fraternal man, being a charter member of Oriental Lodge of Master Masons, of Lafayette Chapter, Detroit Commandery, and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine; a member of the Improved Order of Elks; of the Ancient Order of United Workmen; and of the Ship Masters Association, holding Pennant No. 885.
On December 10, 1868, Captain Nicholson was united by marriage to Miss Elizabeth A. Gilman, who passed to the better world in 1896. His children are: Frances Jane, and Mary Louise (now the wife of John L. McDonald, confidential bookkeepr at the Detroit House of Correction). The Captain's daughter, Mrs. McDonald, has recently presented him with a granddaughter, not named at this writing. The family residence is on the corner of Russell and Alfred streets, Detroit, Michigan.
DAVID PHILLIPE NICKERSON
David Phillipe Nickerson (deceased) for many years sailed the high seas and the Great Lakes, and his experiences equalled in exciting adventure that of some of the most thrilling works of fiction. He was born at Barnstable, Cape Cod, in the year 1808, and was a near relative of King Louis Philippe of France. He went to sea when only nine years of age, filling the various positions for which his experience and ability fitted him, and continually winning advancement until at the age of eighteen years he was placed in command of a vessel, armed, equipped, and placed in commission for the express purpose of driving the ocean pirates away from the Spanish main. The ship which he commanded was the Roarer, owned by Commodore Vanderbilt, who sent the vessel out in order to insure the safety of his merchant vessels engaged in trade with Spain. Captain Nickerson spent three years in command of the Roarer, which with her four guns on each side and a "Long Tom" amidship, was a formidable war ship for those days. The Captain was a brave, fearless man, and well did he need to be, for he was often not only obliged to meet the dangers of encounters with the pirates, but also to quell mutiny among his own crew. On one occasion, while sailing a merchant vessel, he narrowly escaped death in a hand-to-hand conflict with his own crew, and had them all thrown into prison at Vera Cruz, but after the vessel's cargo was loaded, he ordered the men to be liberated and placed on board, making the return trip to New York with them.
At length Captain Nickerson left the high seas and in 1832 came to the Great Lakes, sailing the first season as captain on the side-wheeler Eclipse. He later, at different times, had command of the side-wheel steamers Bunker Hill, Ohio, Saratoga, Alabama, and Cleveland, the full-rigged ships Superior and Anna Winslow and the barks American Union and Fleet Wings. In later years he was extensively interested in the ownership of vessels, acquiring considerable wealth in this way, and having at one time as many as thirteen ships belonging to his fleet. When only twenty-one years of age he was entertained by the governor of the isle of San Domingo in his palace, as being the youngest captain ever sailing a vessel to that island.
Captain Nickerson was united in marriage to Miss Ellen White, the eldest daughter of Captain Andrew White, and to them was born a family of six children, five of whom are living, namely: Andrew White; Vincent Douglass, an artist of Cleveland; Mary Mehitable, wife of H.R. Newcomb, a prominent banker of Cleveland; Lucy Fletcher, wife of Homer Nash, of Grand Rapids, Mich.; David Hibbert, who is living in Detroit, Mich.; and Eugene White, a resident of Cincinnati, Ohio. The father of this family died in 1892.
VINCENT D. NICKERSON
Vincent D. Nickerson, a well-known marine artist of Cleveland, and now connected with the Cleveland Ship Building Company, has been connected with marine interests throughout his entire life. He was born October 7, 1843, in Euclid, Ohio, and when only a few months old was taken by his mother on one of the steamers commanded by his father. During the voyage a collision occurred, the jib boom of the brig Commerce crushing through the sides of the steamer into the state room where he was lying on a pillow. Passing under the pillow it lifted him up, and as the vessels separated carried him out over the water through the side of his father's ship, from which dangerous position he was rescued by Capt. Joseph Dunn, then wheelsman.
When he was only nine years of age his active service as a sailor began. He was employed as cabin boy on the schooner Mary, of which his father was master that season, and on which his brother, Andrew, was making his first trip as cook. On this voyage the latter was knocked overboard by the main boom and drowned while opposite Detroit. Vincent D. Nickerson continued on the Lakes for some time, sailing on the schooner Ellen White, the E.M. Peck, W.B. Castle and the steamer Fountain City. He afterward went to sea on the William B. Castle and was on the Valeria when that vessel was wrecked off the coast of Brazil, but repairs were made and the return trip successfully accomplished. Later Mr. Nickerson was connected with the bark American Union, the schooner Medbury, the Consuelo, the H.R. Newcomb and other vessels. He was also at one time mate of the steamer Cora, said to be at that time the fastest steamer running out of San Francisco, and for a time he was engaged in gold mining in Idaho. He also served in the United States Navy during the Rebellion. On leaving the lakes he turned his attention to artistic work, and engaged in making marine scenes for five years; and he then began constructing models and doing draughting.
On October 13, 1869, he was married to Mary Elizabeth La Frienier, and their son, Louis Raymond, is now associated in business with his father.
JACOB A. NOBLE
Jacob A. Noble has been for many years a prominent engineer sailing out of Milwaukee, but in 1898 he entered the employ of the Wisconsin Milling Company as chief engineer. He has been endowed with many good qualities of head and heart, is generous and companionable, and now holds a responsible position. He was born January 21, 1847, at St. Catharines, Ontario, and is the son of Jacob and Elizabeth (Campbell) Noble. The father was raised near Kingstone, Ontario, and after leaving home he went to St. Catharines, where he soon displayed an aptitude for business, and finally founded a large axe factory, to which in the course of time he added a large flouring mill, but suffered reverses during the financial crash of 1857. He joined the silent majority in 1861. The mother was born near Belfast, Ireland, and was a descendant of Colin Campbell; her father was a captain in the Scots Grays, a famous British cavalry regiment, and on being retired on half-pay crossed the Atlantic with his family to locate a government grant of land near Toronto. The family had carried on a factory for the manufacture of lace previous to their emigration to the New World. The mother of our subject died in 1874.
After attaining a good public-school education in St. Catharines, Jacob A. Noble spent some time as a clerk in a dry-goods store, but that occupation being too confining he adopted the life of a sailor, going to Port Colborne and shipping on tugs operating on the Welland canal, among them the Minnie Battle and Florence. He also acted as engineer of a dredge, doing contract work at Bay City. In 1872 he was appointed engineer of the steamer Florence, plying in the Detroit and Windsor ferry line. The next year he applied for American papers, which were granted by Mr. DeForest, of the Cleveland district, and was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Alpena. He then moved to Milwaukee and shipped as chief engineer of the steamer Susquehanna. After sailing for a number of years as chief of lumber barges, which included the Hickox, Hilton, Almedinger, Neptune and Fayette, he entered the Milwaukee Cement Works as engineer. Owing to some change in the company Mr. Noble, in 1891, returned to the lakes as second engineer of the steamer George H. Dyer, followed by a season as second in the Thomas Davidson. In the spring of 1893 he was appointed chief engineer of the Thomas Davidson and ran her for four seasons, always with satisfaction to everybody concerned. In the spring of 1897 he transferred to the John Duncan as chief, closing the season in the Fred Pabst, and at this writing he is chief engineer of the Wisconsin Milling Campany, of Milwaukee. He has twenty-four issues of license.
His brother, William Noble, who is also a resident of Milwaukee, sailed as chief engineer of many steamers, among them being the R. J. Hackett, Forest City, and Amazon, and since 1882 has been superintendent chief engineer of the Wolf and Davidson line of steamers.
In November, 1888, Jacob A. Noble was wedded to Miss Catherine Rung, of Milwaukee, and they reside at No. 972 Scott street, Milwaukee, Wis. Socially our subject is a member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, No. 9, of Milwaukee, and is vice-president of that body.
ROBERT A. NOONE
Robert A. Noone holds the responsible position of chief engineer of the Kellogg Elevator and Linseed Oil Works, at Buffalo, N. Y., which is the largest linseed oil mills in the world. He was born in Paterson, N. J., February 26, 1864, the elder of the two sons of Alexander and Mary (Kissock) Noone, the former of whom was a native of Ireland, the latter of Scotland. The father was a boilermaker by trade, and made several trips on the lakes in the engineering department, in his earlier days.
When our subject was two years and six months old his parents came to Buffalo, where he attended Public School No. 4, and began the first practical work of his life in Farrar & Trefts Boiler Works. Here he remained about five years, during which he served an apprenticeship, and then going to Erie, Penn., entered the employ of the Erie City Iron Works. After a year's employment there, he spent seven months with the Birdsall Manufacturing Company, at Auburn, N. Y., and several months in the Lake Erie Boiler Works of Buffalo, N. Y. In 1884 he started steamboating as oiler on the Juniata, putting in that season on her, and the following one on the Lycoming. In 1887 he was appointed second engineer of the Susquehanna, which berth he retained three seasons, and in 1890 fitted out the Anna Young, of the Anchor line, and then shipped as chief engineer on her, which craft burned on the water's edge off Lexington, on Lake Huron, October 22, that season, nine of her crew, who took to the boats, losing their lives, and the balance, including Mr. Noone, being picked up by the Edward Smith, Captain Mitchell, who cut her tow loose and spared no effort to save the Young's crew, bringing them to Port Huron. The Anchor line presented Captain Mitchell with a handsome gold watch and chain, in recognition of his bravery on this occasion. Mr. Noone went direct to Buffalo after the disaster, and the following season was appointed chief engineer of the Wissahickon, which berth he held three seasons, at the close of 1894 retiring from the lakes to accept the position of chief engineer of the Temple Electric Company at Montreal, Canada. He resigned this after two years to accept his present situation with the Kellogg Elevator and Linseed Oil Works, in June, 1896, as mentioned above. Mr. Noone has eleven issues of chief's license, and it will be noted that all of his steamboating has been with the Anchor line. He is a member of Local Harbor No. 1, of Buffalo, M. E. B. A.; of Elgin Lodge No. 7, F. & A. M.., Montreal; and of Erie No. 327, K. of P., of Erie, Pennsylvania.
In April, 1888, Mr. Noone was married to Miss Lizzie Summers, of Buffalo, N. Y., and they have one daughter, Jessie, aged seven years. They reside at No. 498 Swan Street, Buffalo, N. Y. Mr. Noone has had a good English education, has been a general reader, and is a well informed man. When in Montreal he took a six-months' course of lectures in McGill College in applied sciences, and his attention was drawn especially to the engineering part. He is now taking a mechanical electrical course of lectures in the Scranton School of Correspondence.
CAPTAIN GEORGE A. NORMAND
Captain George A. Normand was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1868, one of the sons of Capt. Joseph Normand, an old lake navigator and a well-known vessel rigger. He first sailed in 1884 in the tug Florence N., spending two years on her as fisherman, and he then became fisherman in the tug Markwell for one season, after which he secured master's papers. He has since been captain of the Florence M., Markwell, Enterprise, Edson and F. E. Smith, having command of the Edson during 1896. Captain Normand has always been connected with the fishing firm of Crangle & Co., in Cleveland.
In 1890 the Captain married Miss Nina D. Atkins, of Cleveland, and they have three children, George E., Joseph A. and James William.
CAPTAIN JAMES H. NORMAND
Captain James H. Normand, who has been a tug captain in Cleveland for nearly thirty years, was born in that city in 1850. His father was the late Capt. Joseph Normand, and his advent into the world took place in a house which stood in the very center of what is now Hickory street. His sailing career began when he was eighteen years of age on the schooner Eagle. Shortly after he served as fireman on the tugs Monitor, and Abe Nelson, and then received his master's papers, since which time he has commanded the tugs Standard, Fish, Shoo Fly, Belle King, Old Jack, Sickeson, R. K. Hawley, Maggie Sanborn, Charles henry, Enterprise, Florence N., E. R. Edson, Morning Star, Levi Johnson, and Starkweather. Captain Normand's first service was in the employ of the Standard Oil Company, and he remained with that concern fifteen years. He was on the Monitor, when she took the first barge loaded with oil from the company's works to the mouth of the Cuyahoga river, that being the inception of an enterprise that resulted in an enormous saving to the company. Captain Normand has also taken a tug up the Cuyahoga river to a point five miles above the Standard Oil Company's works, this being the highest point ever reached by a tug. In 1875, Captain Normand married Mrs. Adeline Thannette, widow of the late Henry Crangle, of Cleveland. Having no children of their own they have taken to their hearts and home an adopted child, whom they call Adeline Normand.
CAPTAIN JOSEPH NORMAND
Captain Joseph Normand, who removed to Cleveland as early as 1837, was among the very first wire-rope riggers on the Great Lakes, and had charge of the rigging of a large number of vessels which first made use of the (then) new material.
Captain Norman's(sic) birthplace was Dizer, Scotland. He was born in 1807 on a whaling vessel, and commenced sailing at the age of eleven years, being on the ocean for nineteen years before removing to the United States. After locating in Cleveland he resumed the life of a sailor, and followed the lakes for twenty-five years. Being fully conversant with the manner of placing all kinds of rigging upon vessels, his services were in demand in this line, and when wire rigging first appeared, he entered the employ of the firm of Upson, Walton & Co., as head rigger, which position he retained until his health failed and he was obliged to retire from active business. Among the vessels rigged by him were the Selkirk, J.C. Magill, C.C. Roberts, Oak Leaf, the two revenue cutters Sherman and Fessenden, and the schooner Union.
Captain Norman also saw service on the lakes on the schooners Union, Amazon, Winfield Scott, Magill, Nellie, Three Friends, Escanaba, Negaunee, and many others.
Captain Normand married Miss Ellen Crangle. Their children were Alice, James H., Mary, Joseph, George and Florence. He passed away in 1885, at the age of seventy-eight years.
The subject of this sketch was born in Cleveland, Ohio, in 1864, a son of Capt. Joseph Normand, who owned and sailed vessels during the earlier half of the century, and was one of the earliest wire-rope riggers on the Great Lakes.
Our subject commenced his sailing career in 1873 as fireman on the yacht Herald, where he remained two seasons. Then he entered the employ of the firm of L.P. & J.A. Smith, serving as fireman successively on the tugs Shoo Fly, Maggie Sanborn, L.P. Smith, James Amadeus, and Standard, being with the latter boat three years, one of which he served in the capacity of engineer; afterward entering the employ of Robert Greenhalgh, and for one and a half years served as engineer on the tugs W.H. Doan, C.E. Bolton, and Mary Virginia. Then he removed to Chicago, where he was employed for three years as engineer on the tugs Flossie Tilkey, Robbie Denham, Mosier, and T.T. Morford. Then he returned to Cleveland, and spent one year on the tug Joe Harris, and one season on the government tug Spear, followed by a season on the steambarge Nahant, serving as engineer on the tug Enterprise during the season of 1896.
In 1888 Mr. Norman(sic) married Miss May E. Cahill, of Cleveland. The union has been blessed with three children: Mabel; Joseph, who died in infancy; and Florence Beatrice.
JOHN H. NORTON
John H. Norton, who is a son of William and Triphena Norton, was born in Milton Falls, Vt., May 20, 1861, obtaining a liberal education in the public schools of his native town, working on the farm in the meantime.
After he had passed the age of fourteen he left the farm and entered the employ of Messrs. Hannah, Lay & Co. He first became connected as a mariner on the lakes on the steamer City of Grand Rapids in 1879. He then shipped on the bark S.B. Pomeroy, and schooners Lucerne and Corsican, afterward becoming wheelsman on the steamer Don M. Dickinson, of which Captain Rose was in command. This was followed by a season on the steamer Caldwell. He then entered the employ of Capt. B. Boutell on the tug Annie Moiles, after which he went west and railroaded until 1884, when he shipped on the propeller Menominee until September, when he returned home. That fall he leased a threshing machine, which he ran until the harvests of the farmers were reduced to grain. There being a vacancy at that time in the district school Mr. Norton was chosen by the directors as teacher, a position which he filled to their satisfaction.
It was during the months passed in this literary occupation that prompted Mr. Norton to become a law student, and he commenced to study and read law at Alma, Michigan. After the usual course of study he was admitted to the Bar by Judge Henry Hart, and soon afterward entered into partnership with James L. Clark, Esq., a combination which remained in force two years, at the end of which period Mr. Norton bought out his associate's interest and conducted business alone.
In the spring of 1891 he disposed of his law practice and went to Duluth, Minn. Arriving there, he conceived the idea of becoming a marine lawyer, and in order to more perfectly school himself in that branch of legal lore he decided to more perfectly learn the duties of mariner. He therefore entered the employ of Capt. B.B. Inman, and sailed some of his tugs. That winter he opened a law office, and devoted his time and talents to the study of marine law and admiralty practice, and during the last eight years has fortified him-self in his business, and as a natural consequence has obtained a large share of the practice in and about Duluth, and is also a member of the different United States courts. He is the possessor of one of the finest law libraries in the state of Minnesota.
He is a senior member of the firm of J.H. Norton & Co., being associated in the vessel brokerage business with Capt. L.E. King. He owns a half interest in the tug Minnie Karl, belonging to the Stevens Towing Company. A thoroughly practical sailor, being a member of the American Association of Masters and Pilots of Steam Vessels, Harbor No. 44, of which he was the first treasurer and delegate to the nationa(sic) voyage to Washington in the winter of 1896-97. He holds first-class pilots papers for the entire chain of lakes, and is also a member of the Stationary Engineers Society.
On December 29, 1887, John H. Norton was united in wedlock to Miss Ida E. Kingdon. One daughter, Lilith Madge, has been born to this union.
Henry Nyland, whose work as a marine engineer speaks for him, is endowed with an earnest, studious personality. He has earned the respect and esteem of those with whom it has been in the order of his marine life to associate.
Mr. Nyland was born in Grand Haven, Mich., on December 6, 1863, his parents being A.J. and Dena (Schowenaar) Nyland. His father is a native of Holland, the land from which the early settlers of New York migrated, and his mother of Zealand. They came to the United States in 1848, stopping a short time in New York, and going thence to Holland, Mich., where they settled on a farm. Some years later the family moved to Grand Rapids, Mich., were Mr. Nyland, Sr., started in business as a tanner, conducting that until it was destroyed by fire; after which he went to Milwaukee, later returning to Holland, Mich., where he again went into business. In 1887 he purchased the controlling interest in the Grand Haven Leather Company, removed to that city, and as president and general manager devoted his attention to the building up of the business, in which he has been eminently successful by virtue of his large practical knowledge and enterprise.
Henry Nyland, the subject of this sketch, received a liberal education in the public schools of Milwaukee and Holland, and in 1881 adopted a lake faring life by shipping as fireman on the steamer Fannie Schriver, plying between Holland and Saugatuck, a berth he retained two seasons, joining the excursion steamer Macatawa the following spring. He then stopped ashore two years as engineer of the Grand Haven Leather Company's plant, of which his father was president, holding that position until, 1889, when he was appointed chief engineer of the Grand Haven city waterworks. In the spring 1891 he again took up his steamboat life, this time as chief engineer of the Charley West, owned by George T. Arnold, and after two seasons took charge of the passenger steamer T. S. Faxton.
In the winter of 1893-94 he put the engine into the steamer Islander, and brought her out new and ran her during the season, laying up both the Islander and Ossifrage at the close of navigation, after which he entered the employ of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad Company as chief of the F. & P. M. No. 5, on her winter route, running her that winter and the two following years, when he was transferred to F. & P. M. No. 3, of which he was chief for some time.
On June 3, 1887, Henry Nyland was united in marriage to Miss Mary J., daughter of William and Margaret (Lynch) Cantwell, of Marcellus, Mich. The children born to this union are Madgie Jane, and Herman W. The family homestead is No. 869 Marshall street, Milwaukee, Wis. Socially, Mr. Nyland is a charter member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial order of the Maccabees.