History of the Great Lakes
Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield
Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899
HENRY C. TALBOT
Henry C. Talbot was born in Lockport, Niagara Co., N.Y., in 1848, where his parents settled in 1845. His father was a clerk in a law office, but, when Henry had attained the proper age, he was put to serve an apprenticeship in a boiler shop with the Holly Manufacturing Company where he learned boiler manufacturing. He then learned the machinist's trade at the Vulcan Iron Works at Cleveland with Thomas Manning, and then went as oiler on the steamer Peerless, a large passenger and excursion steamer built for and owned by Leopold & Austian. His next berth was as engineer of the tug O.B. Green, in the Chicago river, later in the steamer Skylark, in the fruit trade, followed by a short service on the steamer Messenger, for Graham & Morton, and the steamer Bessemer, for Leopold & Austian. He worked for Mr. Matthew Thomas for three years in a rolling mill at Sharon, Penn., after which he returned to Cleveland and worked for the Worswick Manufacturing Company. He then went as second engineer of the steamer Havana, and for two years on the Cumberland. In 1885 Mr. Talbot was appointed chief engineer of the J.S. Fay, of the Bradley line, and served two years, followed by one year on the R.P. Ranney, two years service on the City of Cleveland, two years on the Gladstone, and two years on the Alva. He now has supervision of the machinery of the fine new building owned by Mr. Bradley on St. Clair street in Cleveland, and attends to the repair work of the steamers in the winter. The machinery in the Vulcan block, of which he now has special charge, was set up by Mr. Talbot, and also at present time he is chief engineer of the Bradley estate.
Mr. Talbot was united in marriage to Miss Mary Barrett, and two children have been born to them: William Henry and John Henry. Mr. Talbot is an Odd Fellow of the third degree.
THOMAS R. TEARE
Thomas R. Teare was born on the Isle of Man, in 1856, came to the United States in 1871, and settled in Cleveland, Ohio. He attended the public schools of that city, and afterward learned business methods at a night school. He is the son of Charles and Anna (Clark) Teare, of Kirk Andreas, Isle of Man. His father was the proprietor of a large agricultural works at that place for sixty years, and lived to be eighty-four years of age; the mother died at the age of sixty-five years.
Thomas R. Teare, after finishing his education, found employment at blacksmithing in the old Cuyahoga Works, where he remained about a year. Being a good workman, and of an ambitious turn of mind, he soon found it possible to start in business for himself, and, uniting with Mr. Burke in 1884, opened a general machine shop on Michigan street under the firm name of Burke & Teare, where he continued two years, when the firm was dissolved. In 1886, he opened up with a more extensive plant at Nos. 171 to 177 River street, corner of St. Clair, taking as a partner Mr. Wight, under the firm name of Teare & Wight.
This connection lasted about two years, Mr. Wight withdrawing from the firm. Mr. Teare then admitted Mr. Thomas into partnership, and in 1890 the firm was incorporated under the firm name of the River Machine & Boiler Co., having in the meantime erected a commodious brick building, especially designed for this business at 108 to 114 River street. Mr. Teare was chosen president and treasurer off the company and Mr. Thomas vice-president and general manager. The company grew steadily in popularity and prosperity, which is due in a great measure to the prompt business methods of Mr. Teare and the good quality of worked turned out under the eyes of Mr. Thomas.
In 1885, Mr. Teare was united in marriage with Miss Eliza Jane Teare, of Cleveland, to which union one son has been born, Allen Clark Teare.
CAPTAIN C. R. THAYER
Captain C.R. Thayer, the captain of the tug Arctic, of the Goodrich line, is one of the younger captains on Lake Michigan, and has worked his way up to his present position by faithfulness and attention to duty in less responsible service. He is a native of Wisconsin, born September 7, 1867, in Ahnapee, now Algoma, and is a son of C. R. Thayer, who was a captain on the lakes for many years. The latter was born in Monroe, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., where his father, Enoch P. Thayer followed farming, and came west when a young man. He became a sailor in early life, and had held the position of captain for some years, when, in April, 1861, he enlisted on the first call for three-months' men. Later he volunteered for three years' service with the 33d Wis. Vol. Inf., serving as captain of Company H. of that regiment, and was with Grant in the Western Army until the close of the war, being mustered out with the rank of major. Captain Thayer was a well-known man in his day, and during the period of the Civil war showed his patriotism in many ways. He was a strong character, energetic and self-reliant, and was highly esteemed by all who know him. For six years he filled the office of fishwarden in the State of Wisconsin. He passed the last six years of his life in Allen county, Kansas.
Up to the age of twelve years C. R. Thayer, Jr., lived in Claybanks, Wis., receiving the advantages of the common schools and later attending school in Egg Harbor, Wis.; but he has for the most part been self-educated, picking up a great deal of general information of practical value by observation and reading. When fourteen years of age he commenced fishing in Green Bay, and between the ages of sixteen and eighteen he went before the mast on sailing vessels, serving on the Westchester, the Peoria and the Belle Laurie. His first experience on a tug was as fireman of the Piper, on which he made two trips one season, on Sturgeon bay. For one season he was with the Jessie Spaulding, as linesman, and from her he went into the tug George Pankratz, of Manitowoc, on which he remained three seasons, first as wheelsman and later as mate. For the three succeeding seasons he was deckhand on the George Cooper, at Ashland, Wis., after which he was made captain and for two seasons sailed the tug Pacific, of Ashland, as such. In 1891 he worked ashore, being employed in a boiler shop until August, when he went on a tug, as fireman, and in the spring of 1896 he was appointed to his present position, that of captain of the tug Arctic, of the Goodrich line, in whose employ he has since remained. Captain Thayer is an enterprising young man in every way, and he has advanced steadily in his calling by "push" and competent service in any capacity in which he has been employed. In social connection he is a member of the Knights of the Maccabees.
In February, 1891, the Captain was married to Miss Emma C. Barritz, of Manitowoc, Wis., and they have one daughter, Goldie Ethel.
Matthew Thomas was born in Paris, France, June 24, 1849, but at the age of three years was brought by his parents to America, they settling in Cleveland, Ohio, where he attended the public schools. In 1861 he entered the employ of the Globe Iron Works, and learned the machinist's trade, attaining the position of gang-boss, which he held for several years, and he made himself especially useful during the winter months. His ambition to become a marine engineer was soon gratified by an appointment as second on the steamer Prairie State, and afterward on the Plymouth and Peerless in the same capacity. Then followed his appointment as chief engineer on the steamers Rocket, Admiral D.D. Porter, Raleigh, Persian, Cumberland, Townsend, Sparta, Vienna and Aurora. On leaving the Aurora Mr. Thomas was made master mechanic of the Cleveland Stone Company. He also held the position of master mechanic for the rolling mills of the Cleveland Iron Company, the Westerman Iron Company, of Sharon, Penn., and was superintendent of machinery at the Walker Manufacturing Company. In 1888 he purchased an interest in the River Machine & Boiler Co., of which he is now vice-president and general manager.
Mr. Thomas had the honor of being chosen the first grand chief engineer of the Brotherhood of Marine Engineers, and a noteworthy fact connected with his administration is that no strike or evidence of uneasiness occurred during the two years of his incumbency, his logic being that the engineer should always be worthy of his employment, and that if he has to do with a just employer the truth of this will soon manifest itself. During all of Mr. Thomas' term of years as engineer of steamboats and in other capacities ashore, he has always had the pleasure of receiving the approbation of his employers for the prompt and satisfactory manner in which he has met every erratic turn in his machinery, requiring quick comprehension, and the ready resources with which he has met the trouble. It is no stretch of truth to say that he is as good a machinist and engineer as ever engaged in that line of business, and is a representative marine engineer; a man of commanding presence, and one in whom confidence in his own skill and ability never falters, for the reason that he knows how to apply his knowledge. A glance at his robust physical proportions, his clear and intelligent eyes, and rugged, well-marked features will assure one that Mr. Thomas is a person in whom confidence may be placed where knowledge of mechanism is the requisite. In the fall of 1875 he received a gold watch as a reward for valuable services while engineer of the steamer Oscar Townsend. The rudder having been torn away by the force of a storm, he rigged a jury rudder from a portion of a broken mast and other material found on board, so that the steamer reached its destination without further mishap. Socially he is a Royal Arch Mason, a Knight Templar and a member of the Mystic Shrine.
In 1879 Mr. Thomas was united in marriage to Miss Anna While, and nine children have been born to them: Clarence, Edna, Harold, Emma, Arthur, Viola, Jeanette, Ruth and Esther, all of whom are (1898) attending school except the two youngest.
CAPTAIN WILLIAM ANDREW THOMPSON
Captain William Andrew Thompson, one of the best and most vigorous of those hardy Norsemen, the ancestors of whom Frithiof speaks in his saga as being ever victorious in their enterprises on both land and sea, and many of whom have found their way to the Great Lakes, has ever demonstrated the fine qualities of mind and the indomitable spirit of his northland teaching. He was born in the city of Drammen, Norway, January 9, 1833, and was reared among the traditions of the Vikings, his memory being unusually accurate as regards details, which made indelible impressions upon his young mind, owing in a great measure, to the fidelity with which he profited by his opportunities to obtain a public-school education. His father, Anthony Thompson, was an executive officer of full-rigged ocean ships, and died of cholera in London, England, while mate on the Shufna, at the age of forty-eight years. The mother, who bore the maiden name of Mary Anderson, is still living in the city of Drammen, at the advanced age of ninety-three years, having been born in 1805.
Captain Thompson, the subject of this sketch, and apparently a born sailor, shipped at his home port on the brig Jylm when he was fourteen years of age, and sailed for Newcastle, England, as cabin boy, the brig being engaged in the deal trade, and touching at Sunderland, Liverpool, Newcastle and Hartlepool, his several voyages on her occupying about eighteen months. The year 1849, which he passed as boy on the brig Holsterminde, was an erratic one. His brig was laden with ice from his home port for London, going thence to Cronstadt, Russia, where she loaded hemp consigned to London. She then touched at Norwegian ports for passengers bound for New York, whence she went to Richibucto, where she loaded deals for Hull, England, and carried merchandise back to the Norwegian ports of departure. In 1850 he shipped on the brig Mazeppa, bound for Bordeaux, France, where wine was taken for delivery at Philadelphia, thence to Charleston, S. C., where Mr. Thompson left his ship, and found employment in the "St. Charles Hotel" as waiter. While in this humble position, W. H. Sanford, a planter from the valley of the Ashapoo river, was attracted by his quick comprehension and took the boy to his home, but after six months of rural life his love for the ocean wave determined him to again seek ship, and in Charleston he found the full-rigged ship Harwood bound for Havre, France, with a cargo of cotton, on which he became a seaman. She returned to New York with Huguenot passengers eager to colonize in America. In 1851 he shipped for London on the Black Ball line steamer New York, returning on the steamer Isaac Wright, of the same line. He then shipped in the English brig Two Brothers, out of Quebec for Conway, Wales. She waterlogged off the banks of Newfoundland; the sea carried away her deckload and caboose, and left the crew without food except salt biscuit, and no shelter except a canvas house, which was rigged upon deck, and without water except that caught from the clouds as it fell in rain. This hardship prevailed from Tuesday until the following Sunday, when the crew was picked up by the steamer London, which towed the brig to the Cove of Cork, Ireland, where she went into dry dock and repaired, ultimately reaching Conway with part of her cargo, going thence to Liverpool.
In 1853 Captain Thompson shipped on the three-mast schooner Clara, bound for Wilmington, N. C., and New York, transferred to a fore-and-after for Boston, thence through Long Island Sound and up the Hudson river to Albany for lumber. The next year was passed as seaman on the full-rigged ship Johnson, between Baltimore, New Orleans, London and Belfast, and return to Boston, where he left the vessel, and went to work in Mr. McDonald's shipyard. His next move was to Chicago by rail, landing in that city in March, 1856, and shipping on the schooner Japan with Capt. Ezra Osier, who afterward lost his life in a tug explosion. He remained on the Japan two seasons, becoming second mate and mate the last year.
In the spring of 1858 Captain Thompson was appointed master of the schooner Honest John, which he sailed two seasons. In 1860 he was made master of the Chicago-built steamer C. Mears, owned by the same company, and sailed her two seasons. The next two seasons was master of the schooner Utica, owned by Thomas Simms. In the spring of 1864 he went to Milwaukee and purchased the schooner Erie, formerly one of Commodore Perry's gunboats, and put in the grain trade between Chicago, Manitowoc, and Milwaukee, carrying wheat at five cents per bushel, and loading off bridge piers. He sold the Erie that fall, and the next spring, in company with Captain Ryerson, bought the schooner Seneca Chief and sailed her. In 1866 he added the schooner William Sawyer to his vessel property, and sailed her. The next year he associated himself with Capt. S. P. Gunderson, and purchased the schooner Norway, sailing her two seasons. In 1869 he bought a half interest in the schooner John H. Drake with Gabriel Gunderson, and after two years he went ashore with her in Grand Traverse bay, where she was destroyed by fire. He then sold his vessel property, and in 1871 went to Duluth, Minn., where he entered the merchantile business, as a dealer in all materials entering into the marine trade; he was also owner of a stone quarry, which furnished material for the construction of the Lake Superior entry to the finest harbor on the lakes. He was generally held as an enterprising citizen. During the season of 1874 he received all the freight of the Ward line of streamers discharged at Duluth, and distributed it to the consignees throughout the city. In 1879 he became a victim of the Jay Cooke failure, and in October returned to Chicago, and with commendable courage began life anew. He took command of the steamer Norman, sailed her to Sheboygan, Wis., put her in dry dock and rebuilt her, adding thirty feet to her length, after which he sailed her. In 1881 he assumed command of the schooner J. L. Higgie and sailed her two seasons. His next command was the schooner Ida Keith, and after two seasons of succesful traffic he was appointed master of the schooner Walkenburg, which was sunk in a collision with the steamer Lehigh in Lake Huron.
Captain Thompson was then appointed by the vessel interests to superintend the weighing of grain into vessels, holding that position until September, 1885, when he entered the employ of the Northwestern Fuel Company as superintendent of Dock No. 1, which responsible position he has held for thirteen years, is a man exceedingly popular among all classes of marine men. Socially, he is a Master Mason, belonging to Palestine Lodge, Duluth, and a charter member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen, Council No. 10.
On February 7, 1869, Captain Thompson wedded Miss Caroline M. Anderson, daughter of Nathan Anderson of Chicago. Seven children were born to this union: Conrad Orlando, a freight agent of the Western Union Transit Company; William A., Jr., bookkeeper for the American Steel Barge Company; Frank E., a law student and who enlisted in Company G, Fourteenth Minnesota Volunteer Infantry, at the breaking out of the war with Spain; went into Camp Chicakamauga, was promoted to the rank of corporal, and had the satisfaction of knowing that he was a component of the army that humbled the so-called haughty Dons; Jennie M. is the wife of Frank L. Gazzola, agent for the Pabst Brewing Company at Louisville, Ky.; Annie is the wife of Daniel Kain, chief clerk to the president of the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railroad, stationed at Topeka, Kans.; Minnie is the wife of George F. Sherrar, assistant salesman of Carson, Pirie, Scott & Co., wholesale dry-goods merchants of Chicago; and Nellie is the wife of J. R. Johnson, secretary of the Hartford City (Ind.) Glass Works. The Captain, with the pride of his own children, lives again in his grandchildren, who number nine, all in good health. The family residence is a spacious modern structure situated on West Third street, Duluth, Minnesota.
CAPTAIN CHARLES THOMPSON
Captain Charles Thompson, of Ludington, Mich., master of the F. & P.M. No. 3, is one of the younger lake captains on the Great Lakes, and has risen by slow but steady promotion through almost all the grades of marine service. He is pre-eminently a self-made man, owing his responsible position solely to his own faithful and efficient services.
He was born in Bradford, Penn., March 12, 1861, the son of George W. Thompson. The father was a native of Clarington, Forest Co., Penn., on the Clarion river. He was a soldier during the war of the Rebellion; at the close of which he engaged for a number of years in the oil business at Bradford, and there died when our subject was a lad of twelve years. Charles had up to this time received a good elementary education, but his school days ended with the death of his father. He went to Buffalo, and then reached Chicago on the steamer Cuba, arriving June 24, 1874, and, when but a boy of thirteen years, he began his career on the lakes.
In 1895 he entered the service of the F. & P.M. as mate of No. 4, and in October of the same year appointed captain of the F. & P.M. No. 1, and when she was sold by the company he became master of No. 2, serving until February 1, 1897, when he was made captain of the F. & P.M. No. 3, this boat plying between Milwaukee and Ludington on schedule time.
Captain Thompson lives, with his wife, in a pleasant home at Ludington, and is esteemed as one of the most reliable and substantial men on the lakes.
CAPTAIN E. THOMPSON
Captain E. Thompson, for the past thirteen years master of the tug Erie, and the oldest (in point of service) tug man at the Erie port, was born at that place May 26, 1844.
Captain Thompson began his marine career when a boy of fourteen years of age, under Capt. Malcolm McGill, as cook, deckhand and engineer on the tug S. C. Brooks, which berth he held two years. His next boat was the Hercules, of which he was engineer, and after serving a year in that capacity he was promoted to master, remaining in that berth for five succeeding seasons. He was also part owner of this boat. He next was master and part owner of the Mary A. Green, for two years, and subsequently bought the A. L. Griffin, which he ran for about three and a half years, until he sold her to Cleveland parties. Entering the employ of C. F. Dunbar, then of Erie, but now of Buffalo, as master of the Robert Dunbar, he continued thus for the two following seasons, leaving him to accept a like position with O. J. Jennings on the Maggie Ashton, on which he was also for two years. The seasons of 1881-82-83 he was master of the Dexter, at Ashtabula, which was owned by George Field, and during 1884 he stayed ashore. In 1885 he took command of the Erie, and on this boat he has since remained, his service extending through thirteen consecutive seasons. The Captain has twenty-seven issues of papers, and during his long and faithful career as pilot has never been mixed up in collisions or wrecks of any consequence, which fact is sufficient proof of his proficiency in his chosen line.
He was married at Erie in July, 1866, to Miss Catharine Bernhardt, of that city, and their union has been blessed with four children, three of whom are now living: Fred J., who is engineer of the sand boat Major; Louis H., in the lathing and painting business; and Blanche. Captain Thompson and his family at present reside at No. 1023 Twenty-fourth street, Erie, Pennsylvania.
CAPTAIN GEORGE L. THOMPSON
Captain George L. Thompson, whether or not a self-made man, has attained the position of master of steamboats by virtue of his own merits. He was born December 17, 1857, near Ogdensburg, N. Y., moving thence with his parents, James and Ellen (Lattimer) Thompson, to Detroit. He was strenuous in his efforts for knowledge and gained that culture which a college cannot give, receiving his literary training in the public schools of Detroit, Saginaw and Port Huron, which he attended until he reached the age of twenty years. Possessed of the strength of character which comes to earnest young men of that age, he chose his profession with deliberation, and entered the employ of the Northwest Transportation Company with the purpose of becoming the commander of a steamboat. His first experience was as watchman on the passenger steamer Quebec, and during the three years he remained with that company he held the berths of wheelsman and second mate of the steamer Ontario. In order to gain the requisite knowledge of the duties required on sailing vessels he shipped in the schooner Seaman before the mast, and served on her two seasons. In the spring of 1882 Captain Thompson joined the steamer Northerner as wheeelsman, and in 1883 the steamer Horace B. Tuttle, closing the season on the Iron Age. The following spring he went on the Milwaukee as wheelsman, and in 1855 on the Fountain City, on which he remained three seasons, being promoted to the office of second mate after six months, and the last year becoming mate. His next steamer was the Colorado, on which he was appointed second mate and promoted to the office of mate, and in 1891 he was placed in command of her. The following spring he was appointed master of the Osceola, and in 1893 returned to the command of the Colorado, closing the season, however, as master of the Roanoke. After laying the Roanoke up, the Captain entered the employ of the Toledo, Ann Arbor & Northern Michigan Railway Company as master of the Ann Arbor No. 1, sailing her and the Ann Arbor No. 2 alternately. In 1894 he sailed the schooner George W. Johnson, and the next year the steamer Rhoda Emily, following with a season as master of the George L. Colwell. It was in 1897 that the Captain was appointed master of the large ferry steamer Shenango No. 2, chartered by the Detroit, Grand Rapids & Western Railway Co., and plying in their interest between Muskegon and Milwaukee. As a steamboat man the Captain has been eminently successful, and there is no legend of lost vessels or seamen connected with his career on the lakes.
In August, 1881, Captain Thompson wedded Miss Edith R., daughter of Daniel Flood, of Algonac, Mich., a retired lake captain whose last vessel was the schooner Seaman. The children born to this union are William G., Lulu Lattimer and Hazel. The family homestead is in Allen street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
CAPTAIN PETER THOMPSON
Captain Peter Thompson, master of the steamer Nebraska, is well known to Buffalo marine men, that port having been his home for several years. He has followed the life of a sailor for seventeen years, and has spent the last eight years in the employ of R. H. Hebard, general manager of the "Soo line," the Nebraska having been his first command.
Captain Thompson is a native of Norway. He is married and resides at No. 12 Maple street, Buffalo, N. Y. He is a young man, and his future in the lake marine is sure to be one of sucess. Socially he is a member of the Ship Masters Association, Lodge No. 1.
Sheldon Thompson, the first mayor of Buffalo elected by the people, a prominent business man, and one of those who in the early days established commerce, trade and shipbuilding on the Great Lakes, was born in Derby, Conn., July 2, 1785. His grandfather Jabez Thompson, was one of the selectmen of his town, and served as an officer in the French and Indian war; was in command of the first troops sent from Derby after the battle of Lexington. He was major of the first regiment in 1755, and afterward became colonel of his regiment, and was killed September 15, 1776, in the retreat from New York. His son, Jabez, was born January 7, 1759, was a sailor from his youth, and was lost at sea while in command of a West Indies trading vessel.
Sheldon Thompson, son of Jabez, when ten years of age, went to sea as a cabin boy with his brother William, who was master of a vessel. When twenty-four years of age he was himself master of a vessel, Keziah, trading to the West Indies. Abandoning the sea in 1810 he settled at Lewiston, N.Y., soon afterward forming a partnership with Jacob Townsend and Alvin Bronson, under the firm name of Townsend, Bronson & Co., the purpose being to engage in mercantile pursuits, and in shipbuilding and coasting on lakes Ontario and Erie. This firm had a vessel named the Charles and Ann, built at Oswego, in which Mr. Thompson took the carpenters around to Lewiston, and then brought them over to Cayuga creek, and there built the Catherine, named after his affianced bride, the vessel being completed in June, 1811. Both of these vessels were engaged in the war of 1812.
On April 6, 1811, Sheldon Thompson married Catherine Barton, a daughter of Benjamin Barton, of the firm of Porter, Barton & Co. After the war of 1812 had come to a close the two firms, Townsend, Bronson & Co. and Porter, Barton & Co. established a branch firm, named Sill, Thompson & co., and Mr. Thompson removed to Black Rock. This firm built the Michigan, of 120 tons, and the Red Jacket, a smaller vessel. The former, being too large for the trade, was finally sent over the Falls in 1829.
The firm of Sheldon, Thompson & Co., formed in 1823 or 1824, owned one of the first organized lines on the Erie canal, known as the Troy & Black Rock line, the name being changed to the Troy & Erie line when the head of the canal was fixed at Buffalo. The firm aided materially in the establishment of steam navigation on Lake Erie, building the Pioneer, the third steamboat on the lake. In 1828 they built the Sheldon Thompson at Huron, Ohio. In 1830 Mr. Thompson moved to Buffalo, and in 1836 his firm consolidated with Townsend & Coit, under the name of Coit, Kimberly & Co., Messrs. Thompson and Townsend retiring from the leadership.
While Mr. Thompson was not a politician yet he was a patriot, as had been his ancestry before him, and was elected by the people mayor of Buffalo in 1840, the mayors having previously been elected by the common council. Mr. Thompson was a member and vestryman of St. Paul's Episcopal Church. His wife died May 8, 1832, and he died March 13, 1851. Their son, Augustus Porter Thompson, was for a time president of the Cornell Lead Company, and after the transfer to the National Lead Company became its manager, which position he still holds. Mr. Thompson was of a type of men now rarely seen, brought up surrounded by pioneers, and having all the rugged, honest qualities attributed to them. Men of the present, while equally honest, have more polish and culture, and consequently not so much individuality.
CAPTAIN THOMAS THORKILDSEN
Captain Thomas Thorkildsen, master of the schooner James C. King, is a native of Norway, having been born in 1841, son of Grador and Christina Thorkildsen. The parents were also born in Norway, and the father followed the trade of boiler maker. Thomas Thorkildsen received his education in his native land, and before commencing his seafaring life was employed in machine shops. He sailed on salt water for nine years, in English and Dutch vessels, and after coming to the United States commenced sailing on the lakes. For nine years he was on the steamer Benton, and for the past two years he has been captain of the schooner James C. King.
In 1887 at Saginaw, Mich., Captain Thorkildsen was married to Miss Maggie Gonnico, of that city, and they have two children: Diana C., born November 25, 1893 and Norman Frederick, born November 17, 1895. They reside in Bay City, Michigan.
In his career both as a salt-water and fresh-water sailor the Captain has been very fortunate, never having met with any disaster or accident worthy of mention.
CHARLES P. TIBBETTS
Charles P. Tibbetts is the genial steward of the City of Chicago, Benton Harbor. For upward of twenty years the smiling face and cheery disposition of Charlie Tibbetts, the ever obliging steward of the City of Chicago, has greeted and made welcome the thousands of patrons of the Graham & Morton Transportation Co.'s steamers. He is a native of Italy, having been born January 1, 1842, six miles from the walled city of Lucca. His parents, Nicholas and Agnes Tibbetts, were also natives of Italy.
At the age of thirteen young Tibbetts, to escape a seven-years' service in the army, came to America as a passenger in the Italian brig Machivello. Landing at Boston, Mass., he was for a time occupied in molding plaster of paris statuary, and then for two years served as cook of the schooner Pocahontas, which traded up and down the New England coast. Then for four years he was engaged principally in cod and mackerel fishing, being on several different vessels. In 1859 he was the captain of a small fishing boat, known as the Pinkey, in the fishing trade, and for a time was captain of the Lizzie Ann, when he next shipped on an American brig bound for Kingston, Jamaica, via Baltimore; but on arriving in Baltimore he left her, and the vessel was never heard from after leaving that port. He next went to Gloucester, Mass., and shipped as sailor on a bark bound for Mt. Desert, Maine, and on nearing that point (it being in the winter) they encountered a great gale and snowstorm, when the vessel was blown off its course, and they were four days in getting back. From this experience up until 1859 Mr. Tibbetts served on various vessels, and in different capacities up and down the New England and northern coasts, being much of the time engaged as a fisherman in the cod-fishing and mackerel trade. During the year 1859-60 he went to South America, shipping as an able seaman on a sailing vessel.
On the breaking out of the war, and on the second day after the President's call for troops, April 17, 1861, our young patriotic foreigner enlisted in Company G, Eighth Massachusetts Infantry, the colonel and major of which were the subsequently distinguished men, Gen. Benjamin Butler, and Ben Perly Poor, and Lieutenant-Colonel Hincks. The company was made of nearly all sailors and marines, and the Colonel having a knowledge of this, and as he was desirous of selecting a number of men for hazardous duties, he, while the command was en route to Washington, asked for volunteers for the work of sappers and miners, and young Tibbetts was one of sixty-five, nearly all sailors and marines, that volunteered for the mission. At Annapolis, Md., this squad of sixty-five was detailed, after having taken from the enemy the frigate Constitution, which was partially buried in the mud and shallow water, to unstrip her of her guns, which they did, and put her afloat in deep water. They remounted her and took her to New York City, where the sixty-five sailors and marines, being almost in rags, and dirty from their work, were marched through the streets, and each given a new suit of clothes, by A. T. Stewart, of that city. They were quartered in the basement of the "Astor House," while in the parlors above were being banqueted a company of Zouaves from Salem, Mass., who were assuming credit for the capture of the Constitution. However, the facts soon became known, and the New York World, a well-known daily published in the city, came out giving credit to whom it belonged, and the sixty-five men were taken to Washington, where they received the thanks of Congress, and were met by and each given the hand of President Lincoln.
At the expiration of his term of enlistment, sixty days, our subject returned to Massachusetts, and from Gloucester shipped on the schooner Life Boat, and made a trip on the Gulf of St. Lawrence; but in the course of a few weeks again entered the service, enlisting in S. Tyler Reed's Mounted Rangers. As one of General Butler's Body Guard, Tibbetts was soon made the private orderly of the General, and as such served him until that officer was relieved at New Orleans, in December, 1862. On General Butler's recommendation Mr. Tibbetts became the private orderly of General Banks, Butler's successor, and remained with the latter until the Red River disaster, and for meritorious service was then promoted to the captaincy of Company A, the first company of colored cavalry put in the field. He remained with the company until January, 1864. Captain Tibbetts was then offered a lieutenant's command under Colonel Cole, which was accepted, and he went to Fortress Monroe and was again with General Butler's command. That fall he resigned, having heard indirectly sad news from home. He had got as far as Boston, when he received a letter to the contrary, so he went to Gloucester, and there joined the Twenty-fifth , and attached company, under Captain Bakson, and went to Boston Harbor, where the command was put at guarding prisoners. After serving in and about Richmond, he was mustered out of the service July 25, 1865.
While acting as private orderly of General Butler, Young Tibbetts was the means of saving the General from falling into the hands of the enemy. While at New Orleans the General wished to review some troops at Pensacola, Fla., and set out to do so in a sail yacht. The person in command of the yacht, it seems, was later proved to be a traitor, for while the General was sleeping the yacht was rapidly being steered to the enemy side, and but for the foresight of orderly Tibbetts, who had been a sailor for some years, and who, by a comparison at times of the compass, detected that something was wrong, aroused the General and made the situation known to him. It became evident to General Butler that the orderly was right, and that the commander of the yacht had intended to give them over to the enemy; it is but necessary to add that the traitor was put in chains. For this service, of which General Butler was most grateful, orderly Tibbetts was to have to received a lieutenancy in the navy, but the appointment was in some way hung up for a time, and probably through the modesty of Tibbetts in not following it up, was not consummated.
After the war Captain Tibbetts resumed a seafaring life, and for the greater part of the time was sailing on the ocean, on vessels plying along the American coast, and traveled at various points from St. John's, New Brunswick, to Key West, and New Orleans. Among some of the different vessels of which he served on board, special mention is made of the bark Waltham which went ashore on the Florida beach in a great hurricane that swept the Atlantic coast, when within twenty miles of it, and upwards up a hundred vessels were wrecked; the steamer Florida, the New Brunswick and the G. W. Goddard, a sister schooner of the New York Wonder, being among number. During the decade mentioned the Captain served three years on the police force of New Orleans, and, while the same, invented a self-turning street car turn table, which he had patented. In 1874 he came north, and at Milwaukee shipped on the propeller Messenger, he next joined the steamer Saginaw, on which he was made steward. He again went to the Messenger, and in January, 1875, she went into the hands of the Graham & Morton Transportation Co., and Mr. Tibbetts went with her, and has been in that company's employ ever since, excepting a part of two seasons; he has also served in the same capacity on the Skylark, Lora, City of St. Joseph, Puritan in the City of Chicago.
In 1879 Captain Tibbetts was married to Miss Maggie Jacob, of St. Joseph, and their children are: Charles, Willie and John H.
D. C. TIBBITS
D.C. Tibbits, the present chief engineer of the Yale School Building, at the corner of Yale avenue and Seventieth street, Chicago, was born in Coldwater, Branch Co., Mich., in 1847, a son of W.F. and Mary (Olney) Tibbits, the former also a native of Michigan and the latter of New York. The paternal grandfather, Allen Tibbits, was one of the old and honored pioneers of Coldwater. At an early day the father of our subject removed to Vilas, Wis., where he conducted a wood dock and was also engaged in the flour business. He continued to make his home in Wisconsin for many years, but finally removed to Chicago and entered the employ of the Denver & Rio Grande railroad. He died in Denver in 1894, but the death of his wife occurred at Girard, Mich., in 1886.
The boyhood and youth of D.C. Tibbits was passed in Wisconsin, where he attended school, and on leaving home he began sailing upon the lakes, being thus engaged for many years. In 1872 he removed to Chicago, where he has since made his home. In 1867 he commenced sailing out of Chicago in the employ of the Goodrich line, and the same year took out his first license as engineer. For a part of that season he was engineer of the Sea Bird, which was burned off Waukegan, all on board being lost save one. From her he transferred as second engineer to the Comet, and the spring the Sea Bird was burned he was on the Comet, from which he transferred to the Alpena, and later to the Corona, which he fitted out, remaining as her chief engineer for several seasons. He then remained ashore for two or three seasons, and on his return to the lakes entered the employ of the Union line as second engineer. The following season he fitted out the James Fisk, of which he was assistant engineer on one trip, from Buffalo to Chicago, and later he was chief of the propeller Waverly for several seasons. In the employ of the Union line, he was then chief of the Starrucca, which was lost in Lake Superior. Mr. Tibbits then returned to the Waverly as engineer for one season; she belonged to the Vermont Central line. In 1888 he quit the lakes, and became first assistant engineer of the Home Insurance building; was then assistant engineer at the Auditorium; and later chief engineer of the Appraisers Store at the corner of Harrison and Sherman streets; and since then has been chief of the Yale school. Socially he was at one time a member of the old original M.E.B.A. No. 4.
In Grafton, Wis., Mr. Tibbits was married, in 1869, to Miss Henrietta Wooden, a native of that State and a daughter of Timothy Wooden, a pioneer of Wisconsin. One son has been born of this union; George F., now a dentist of Chicago. The family residence is at No. 7430 Stewart avenue, Chicago, Illinois.
WARREN G. TILTON
Warren G. Tilton was born near London, Canada, in 1854, his father being John Tilton, a railroad man. He gained his first sailing experience in 1875 as fireman of a little St. Lawrence river steamer called the Midge. His next season was spent on the steamer Utica, and the following one on the passenger steamer D. C. West, and in 1878 became second engineer of the steamer T. S. Faxon. After this he filled the position of chief engineer on the Island Belle, and assistant of the propeller Maine and the E. B. Hale, in turn, spending the next four years in the works of the Arctic Machine Company, of Cleveland. He then sailed as second engineer of the John N. Glidden, after which he was chief of the Republic one season, second of the Continental two seasons, and chief of the Oscar Townsend, likewise the Cormorant and the Charles J. Sheffield, remaining on the last named vessel until she was lost June 14, 1888, in a collision with the steamer North Star on Lake Superior. Mr. Tilton, in order to save himself, climbed up the anchor chain of the North Star as the vessels were separating. After this event he joined the ill-fated steamer Philip D. Armour, which was sunk September 7, of that same year, in a collision with the steamer Marion at North East Bend, St. Clair Flats. The next season he went on the Samuel Mather as chief, and for a short time served as second on the Western Reserve. In 1891 he became chief of the steamer LaSalle, and the season of 1898 he was on the steamer Katahdin, running from New York to Montreal.
Mr. Tilton belongs to a family of marine engineers, three of his brothers being connected with steam vessels on the lakes. His brother George is chief of the City of Bangor; Harry is second engineer of the Elfin Mere; and Will is filling the position of oiler on the steamer Thomas Davidson.
In 1885 Mr. Tilton was married to Miss Emma Sedaker, of Spring Mills, near Mansfield, Ohio. They have two children, May and Maynard.
Joseph Timothy is a French Canadian, having been born in the village of St. Timothy, Province of Quebec, in 1843. He attended school at Isle Perrot, Vaudreuil Co., Quebec and after leaving school set to work to learn the trade of carpenter. Like so many of his compatriots who live and breathe the air on the banks of the romantic St. Lawrence, young Timothy was irresistibly drawn toward the life of those who were actively engaged on the bosom of the great river, and at the age of nineteen years shipped on the propeller Avon, running between Montreal, Toronto, Hamilton and Chicago. He then went on the propeller Bruno as wheelsman, which was engaged in the freight service between the same points mentioned above.
Mr. Timothy's next boat was the propeller Whitby, running between Hamilton and Montreal. This boat was afterward lost in a collision with Capt. Frank Patterson's side-wheel steamer Osprey, the disaster having occurred in Lake St. Louis, above the Lachine Rapids, St. Lawrence River. The Whitby was literally cut in two and sank in about eighteen feet of water near the village of Lachine. Her machinery was afterward transferred to the tug Active, which plied on the St. Lawrence River. Mr. Timothy's next boat was the propeller East, on which he remained for part of a season, the balance being spent on the Colonist, also a propeller. After this he was on several steamboats, notably the propeller Acadia, owned and commanded by Captain Malcolmson; a second time on the Bruno, remaining one season,; the propeller Calabria, Dromedary, and Columbia; then back on the Calabria again. The Columbia afterward was swamped in Lake Michigan, and her master, Captain Malcolmson, brother of the Acadia's master, together with the mate and several passengers were lost. Then he went on the propeller Cuba, of the Merchants line, running between Toronto and Odgensburg, and was afterward on the propeller California. The California was lost in Lake Huron, and several lives were lost. Then in the year 1884 Mr. Timothy became mate of the Persia (his present boat), and remained on her for seven seasons, when he shifted to the big propeller Ocean, of the same line, and was three years on her, during which time she was successively commanded by Captains Trawl, Vaughn, Towers and Malcolmson.
Three years ago he again joined the Persia, the commander of which is Capt. J.W. Scott, one of the most popular masters on the lakes. The Persia, along with the Ocean, belong to the Wentworth Navigation Company, and ply between Montreal and Hamilton, this particular line finding favor with a large number of tourists, who look for comfort and excellent accommodation.
Mr. Timothy's home is in Montreal, where, with his wife and five children, he resides when off duty.
CAPTAIN JAMES M. TODD
Captain James M. Todd, captain of the steamer Saranac, was born in Buffalo, N. Y., October 29, 1857, and in boyhood attended the public schools of that city. He began his career as a mariner at the age of eleven years, as a cabin boy on the bark D. P. Dobbins, of which his father, Robert Todd, was master. He served on board boats and on various tugs in minor positions, as cook on a Canadian scow on Lake Erie, until 1873, and in 1874 sailed before the mast on the barkentine John M. Hutchinson, of which he became second mate in 1875. In 1876 he shipped in that capacity on the schooner David E. Bailey, sailing between Buffalo, Chicago and intermediate ports, and the following winter he shipped on the bark Elliott Ritchie, of the ocean service; sailing from New Orleans to Genoa, Italy.
After five months' service on that vessel he returned to Chicago, where he shipped as second mate on the bark Vanderbilt and on several other vessels, and in 1879 sailed as first mate on the schooner Annie Sherwood, remaining on that boat the following season. In 1882 he became second mate on the passenger steamer Japan, of the Lake Superior line, afterward the Anchor line, making five trips between Buffalo and Duluth in that position, then becoming first mate of the vessel. He held that berth until July, 1882, when he had an attack of rheumatism, which incapacitated him for work until October of that year, when he shipped as second mate of the R. A. Packer, of the Lehigh Valley line. In 1884 he became first mate of the steamer Tacoma, of the same line, and remained in that position until August 11, 1886, when he was promoted to that of master and given commence of the steamer R.A. Packer. One year later he sailed the steamer Fred Mercur, of the same line, as master, and in 1888 was placed in command of the steamer Tacoma. The next spring he brought out the steamer Cayuga, and in 1890 became master of the steamer Saranac, of which he has ever since been the commander. In all his wide experience he has never met with an accident.
Captain Todd was married December 28, 1887, to Miss May Todd, of Buffalo, and has four children - two sons and two daughter - Elmer R., Margaret, Howard James and Mary Jean. The family resides at No. 416 Breckenridge street, Buffalo, N.Y. Socially, the Captain is a member of the Masonic fraternity.
William Tomlinson, chief engineer of the American Glucose Starch Works, is a sturdy Scotchman, having been born in Glasgow, Scotland, February 12, 1849. His parents, Joseph and Mary (Spears) Tomlinson were from the North of Ireland, and the father at one time was an engineer on salt water.
In 1869 the younger Tomlinson came to America, stopping first in Toronto, Canada, and a week later arrived in Buffalo, which latter place he has ever since considered his home. Previous to coming to this country he spent three years at the machinist's trade in Glasgow, in which city he also received all of his common-school education. In the spring of 1869 he began his life upon the lakes, shipping from Buffalo upon the steamer Thomas A. Scott, of the old Anchor line, as greaser. After two years in this capacity he went as second engineer on the China for a couple of seasons, with the same chief, and followed this with one season in the Philadelphia, one season as second engineer and acting chief of the W. T. Graves, and the following season as chief of the old Ararex, seven years in all. In 1876 he took the position of chief engineer of the Grape Sugar Works, where he remained ten years, and continued with the company when it was reorganized and changed its name to the present, the American Glucose Starch Works, where he still remains, having been with the new company ten years also, and twenty-one years in August, 1898, in substantially the same employ. Mr. Tomlinson has been a member of the National Association of Stationary Engineers for seven years, and is in such good standing that he was nominated as delegate to the State Convention, which took place in Albany, January 15, 1897. Socially, he is a third-second-degree Mason, and a Noble of the Mystic Shrine.
On July 15, 1875, Mr. Tomlinson was married to Ellen Barrett, of Canada, and they have one son, James W., now (1898) twenty years of age, who occupies the position of bookkeeper to the superintendent of the Courier building.
CAPTAIN E. TORMEY
Captain E. Tormey is one of the most experienced wrecking and towing masters on the lakes. He is the son of George and Kate (Green) Tormey, who sailed from Galway, Ireland, in 1843, for America, locating at Amherstburg, Ontario. The entire journey was made by water. They reached Buffalo by way of the Erie canal, going thence to Amherstburg on a Lake Erie schooner, and on arrival were numbered among the pioneers of that section. Edward Tormey was born April 3, 1845, and after attending the schools provided by the Dominion of Canada for the allotted number of years made himself useful to his parents. His career as a sailor began in 1864, when he shipped as deckhand with Captain Grummond on the tug Dispatch. At the close of the season the captain (since deceased), who is known to have been a very liberal minded man, took young Tormey home and employed him about the house, sending him to school during the winter. The two following seasons he continued on the Despatch(sic), in the capacity of wheelsman and watchman. During the winter of 1866, he returned home and worked in a flouring-mill, in the spring of 1867 returning to the Despatch, as wheelsman with Captain McGuire, whose brother was killed in the naval engagement between the Kearasage and Alabama when that notorious Southern privateer was captured, Captain Tormey next served on the L. L. Lyon, owned by John Demas, and the lake tug Constitution, with Captain Lundy, operating at Sault Ste. Marie. He then took passage on the propeller Portsmouth, to Buffalo, where he shipped as watch four trips. Leaving the Portsmouth at Buffalo he took passage on the St. Louis with Captain Goldsmith, for Detroit, where he shipped on the tug Tawas, remaining on her until the close of the season. That winter he again lived at Captain Grummond's house, doing chores and going to school.
In the spring of 1868 Captain Tormey again joined the Despatch as wheelsman and watch with Capt. Martin Swain, and in 1869-70 he served as mate on that boat. In the winter of 1870-71 he kept ship on Captain Grummond's steamer Island Queen, and sailed on her until July 8, plying between Detroit and Gibraltar. He then went as mate with Capt. B. O'Neil, now harbormaster at Detroit, on the lake tug William A. Moore. In the spring of 1872 Captain Tormey was appointed master of the Island Queen, which had been purchased by Capt. Robert Hackett, sailing her until June, when he joined the William B. Castle, closing the season on the W. A. Moore as mate with Capt. George Kimball, H. A. Hawgood being chief engineer. On October 1, while on Lake Erie, with four barges in tow, the Moore was overtaken by a fierce gale, the lines parted, and the barges Baltic, Capt. John Van Norman, and Adriatic, Capt. David Murdock, both went down with their entire crews off Port Stanley. There were six men and one woman on the Baltic and six men and two women on the Adriatic. During this crisis Captain Tormey proved himself equal to the emergency, took charge of the Moore, and rendered all the service he could to the other distressed barges. Captain Kendall was afterward appointed on the Detroit police force and was shot and killed while on duty. In the spring of 1873 Captain Tormey again joined the W. A. Moore as mate with Capt. M. Madden. In the spring of 1874 he was appointed master of the lake tug Gen. George B. McClellan and sailed her two seasons; 1876-77 he sailed the lake tug Oswego; 1878 he came out as master of the Oswego, commanding her until July, when he was appointed master of the passenger steamer Grace Grummond (formerly the government survey steamer Search), in the excursion business out of Detroit until September. He then resumed command of the Oswego, continuing on her until the close of the season of 1880. During the winter he made his home in Detroit, and in the spring of 1881 he brought out new the large wrecking tug Martin Swain, which he commanded for nine years in the wrecking and towing business. During this time he had but one mishap; in 1889, while off Bois Blanc Island with the schooners Marengo and Maria Martin in tow, the propeller Jay Gould collided with and sunk the Martin Swain. In 1890 Captain Tormey sailed the Gladiator, towing rafts and long timber between Saginaw and Buffalo.
In 1891-92 Captain Tormey was reappointed to the command of the Martin Swain, which he also brought out the following season. On one trip the propeller Fred Mercur ran down the schooner John B. Merrill, which he had to tow, near Bar Point lightship. The Swain pulled the schooner into American waters, where she sank. He then transferred to the Champion as master for a time and then back to the Swain; was next appointed master of the passenger steamer Michigan, plying between Mackinaw, Port Huron and Cleveland; took command of the passenger steamer Atlantic, which he laid up in Detroit, and went down to Cleveland to assume command of the passenger steamer Flora, plying between that city and Port Stanley, which he also laid up at Detroit. During his absence an attachment was issued against the tug Swain for the sum of $20,000, and he ran her over to Amherstburg and left her. He then took charge of the tug Champion, closing an eventful season on her during the season of 1894-95 he was mate of the wrecking tug Favorite, stationed at Cheboygan, Mich. The next year he came out as master of the steam barge Haywood, transferring to the tug Howard as master and closing the season as mate on the steam barge Schoolcraft. In 1897 he sailed the lake tug Howard until the close of the rafting season, after which he was appointed master of the tug Swain, which had been purchased by Capt. James Davidson, of Bay City, closing the season on her. The Swain always carries a full wrecking outfit, together with an electric plant. Captain Tormey is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen and the Fraternal Order of United Friends.
The Captain wedded Miss Mary McMullen, of Amherstburg, Ontario, in 1876, and after her death he was again married, this time, in 1880, to Miss Samantha Chamberlain, of Gibraltar, Mich. To this union has been born three children: James E., who died young; Hattie Lucy, and George W. The family homestead is at 64 Elizabeth street West, Detroit.
CHARLES C. TOWER
Charles C. Tower, who is now a member of the fire department of Cleveland, spent ten years of his early life sailing on the lakes, rising to the position of mate. He was born in Cleveland, January 17, 1870, and commenced sailing at the age of fourteen years on the tow barge Specular, which has since been converted into a steam propeller, spending four years on this vessel as boy, second mate and mate. Then he went to the steamer Colonial, on which he served as second mate for three years and as mate for two years. He was mate of the steamer Frontenac for two months in the spring of 1892, and then became second mate of the steamer Missoula. After laying her up in the fall of 1893, he went to Cleveland and took the examination for admission to the fire department, and being successful, he was appointed to the force in April, 1894.
GEORGE W. TOWNE
George W. Towne was born at Tonawanda, N. Y., November 13, 1863, son of George W. and Elizabeth (Hodges) Towne, the former of New Orleans, La., and the latter of Cornwall, England.
Our subject attended and graduated from the high school of his native city when about fifteen years of age, and then commenced to learn the machinist's trade at the Lake Shore railroad shops in Buffalo. There he served the necessary four-years' apprenticeship, and then worked as a journeyman for the Holly Manufacturing Company, of Lockport, N. Y., the three succeeding years, and the Globe Iron Works, of Cleveland, Ohio, the year following. In 1886 he began steamboating, going onto the Tacoma as her second engineer for that season, and filling the same berth on the Spokane and Oscoda, respectively, the next two seasons. In 1889 he was promoted to chief of the Nebraska, and the following season was chief of the rivertug Samson. The season of 1891 he was chief of the Columbia, until the close of the excursion season, when he went onto the Lehigh and the Alaska, remaining on both until they were laid up. The following season, 1892, he was given the Alaska, on which he remained for six consecutive seasons, including 1897. It is unnecessary to say that this continuous service with the Anchor line proved, not only his efficiency, but also his good-fellowship, as everyone, to whom he is more familiarly known as Tonawanda George, will testify. Mr. Towne has twelve issues of license, and is a member of Local Harbor No. 1, M.E.B.A.
On Christmas day, 1889, Mr. Towne was married to Miss Mary E. Gehrling, of Savannah, Ga., at that place, and they reside at No. 135 Minerva street, Tonawanda, New York.
CAPTAIN BERNARD D. TOWNSEND
Captain Bernard D. Townsend, eldest son of Capt. Gilbert and Adelia (Robertson) Townsend, was born in Algonac, Mich., in 1860. He left the public schools at the age of fourteen years, and, as he was born of a seafaring family, he immediately commenced his career on the lakes, which up to the time of this writing has continued without a break for twenty-three years.
His practical experience as a seaman was on the steamer H.D. Coffinberry in 1875, on which boat he remained one season. The following spring he shipped as seaman on the Mary Pringle, remaining three months, finishing on the N.P. Goodell. He then went as wheelsman on the Mary Pringle. In 1877 he shipped as watchman on the D.F. Rose, and was afterward promoted to be second mate, serving in that capacity about four years. He was appointed mate of the Belle P. Cross until September, and afterward master of the Nelson Bloom. His next berth was a second mate on the steambarge Keystone, finishing the season at the wheel on the steamer S.T. Everett. In 1879 he was appointed second mate on the steamer Edward Smith, remaining three seasons; his next two seasons were passed as mate, and the following six years as master of the same steamer. In 1894 he was appointed master of the steamer Robert L. Freyer, remaining in that command two years, and laying her up at the close of the navigation in 1896. During the winter months for the last six years he and his brother Hoyt have occupied their time in the lumber woods and at the sawmill, getting out logs and lumber, for the next season's market, and in the winter of 1897-98 they had sixteen men and four teams at work in their camp, and have produced with the rest of the output about 200 cords of heading, 600 cords of wood, fender timber which if placed end to end would measure a mile, and also 250,000 feet of hardwood lumber. He is a Knight Templar Mason and a member of the Council.
In 1897 Captain Townsend was united in marriage with Miss Anna Dreymal, and they make their home in Algonac, Michigan.
CAPTAIN HOYT H. TOWNSEND
Captain Hoyt H. Townsend, the second son of Capt. Gilbert and Adelia (Robertson) Townsend, was born September 6, 1862, at Algonac, Mich., and after attending the public schools of his native town for some time he took a course in bookkeeping. He then adopted the usual occupation of the Algonac youth, that of the sailor.
At the age of sixteen years he shipped on the Mary Pringle out of Algonac as deckhand, serving in that capacity two seasons. His next berth was as wheelsman on the same vessel, closing the season on the steamer D. F. Rose. In 1880 he again shipped as wheelsman on the D.F. Rose, remaining with her three seasons, when in the spring of 1883 he was appointed master of the tug Dave and Mose, owned by G. L. Colwell, of Harrisville, Mich., from which he was transferred to the Fannie Neil, and closed the season on her. The following spring he was again made master of the Dave and Mose, closing the season on the William B. Ogden. Part of the season of 1885 he was mate of the schooner Fitzhugh closing as second mate on the D. F. Rose. The next season he was appointed mate of the steamer H. S. Hubbell, then mate of the steamer Glasgow, holding that berth until October, 1888, when he transferred to the steamer Araxes as master. He passed the season of 1889 as mate on the steamer Kate Buttironi, and in 1890 was appointed master of the steamer Edwin S. Tice, sailing her two seasons. He sailed the steamer Isabella Boyce in 1892, and the two following seasons was mate and Lake Superior pilot on the steamer Viking.
In the spring of 1895 Captain Townsend was appointed master of the steamer Edward Smith No. 2, and sailed her three seasons, including that of 1895. He has been fairly successful in his profession, and owns a money interest in the steamers Sauber, William H. Gratwick and Edward Smith No. 1, of the Mitchell Steamship Company. He is associated with his brother Bernard in timber lands, sawmill and lumber business, with which he occupied his time during the winter months. He is a member of the Association of Masters and pilots; is a Royal Arch Mason and a member of the Maccabees.
On January 6, 1892, Captain Townsend was united in marriage to Miss Jennie, the talented daughter of D. S. Halstead, of Saginaw, Mich., and they reside in Algonac, that State.
CAPTAIN GILBERT TOWNSEND
Captain Gilbert Townsend, son of John T. and Ann Townsend, was born in 1832 at Fort Niagara, N. Y. His father was a regular-army soldier for forty years, and served with some distinction throughout the Black Hawk War, attaining the rank of first sergeant. After his enlistment the family removed from Sacket's Harbor to Fort Niagara, N. Y., and in 1834 removed to Fort Gratiot, Michigan.
There Capt. Gilbert Townsend attended the public schools for a short time, and at the age of twelve years he commenced sailing in the small vessels of those days. He soon attained to the position of master of the schooner Seabird, which had a capacity of 8,000 bushels of wheat; followed by similar appointments on the schooners FitzHugh, J. G. Masten, and many other vessels of like tonnage. He spent the latter part of his active life as mate on various steamers, rounding up a period of forty-two years on the lakes. He sailed into Chicago harbor when there were no piers or lights as aids to navigation. The only lights at that time placed by the government were at Fort Gratiot, Thunder Bay and on the Bobloe islands. He usually laid up his vessel at Chicago during the winter, if she was not frozen up in the straits near St. Helena. He mentions many episodes of a like nature, which the lake mariner of the present day does not have to contend with. On one occasion in trying to put into the Buffalo harbor he was wrecked on the breakwater during the prevalence of a lively gale. At present he is engaged in the lumber business.
In 1856, Captain Townsend wedded Miss Adelia, daughter of Captain Henry Robertson, of Algonac, Mich., and seven children were born to them: Mary, who died young; Captain Bernard D.; Captain Hoyt H.; Engineer Marshall B.; Captain C. Owen; Nellie A. and Josie E.
HARRY P. TRIMM
Harry P. Trimm, engineer of the tug Leo Lennox, of the White Star line, is one of the nine children of John W. and Matilda (Taylor) Trimm, two of the former - John W. and Reuben (both now deceased) - having also been tug engineers.
The subject of this sketch was born at Buffalo, December 4, 1867, where he attended Public School No. 2. When about fourteen years of age he began work as an office boy, and was so occupied for about a year and a half; then took to tugging, and for a period of six or seven years was decking and firing on various tugs about Buffalo harbor, among them being the Leo Lennox, T. H. Fulton, C. T. Dennis, H. L. Fairfield and Arthur Woods. After becoming thoroughly familiar with all the methods of tug-propelling, he in 1891 received his first issue of papers, and during that and succeeding season sailed the tugs Leo Lennox, T. H. Fulton and others of the White Star line, and also spent a season in the Delos Graves and old Post Boy.
In 1895 he ran the passenger yacht Sprudel, and while on her with a pleasure party from the West Shore R. R. car shops, he rescued one of the party from drowning, who had fallen overboard into Niagara's swift current, for which act he received as a slight reward a small-sized purse from the members of the party. For the season of 1896 he was engineer of the Francis A. Bird from April 14 to December 25, without losing a day. The season of 1897 finds him again on the Leo Lennox.
Mr. Trimm was married in April, 1889, to Maggie McNierney, and has had two children, one of whom, Irene L., is now living. He is a member of the Harbor Tug Pilots Association, and has nine issues of license. He resides at No. 55 Franklin street, Buffalo, New York.
CAPTAIN BENJAMIN TRIPP
This name is well known to a large number of sailors, both for the length of time its owner has spent in marine life and for many experiences of a diverse nature, whether or not connected with marine occupation. To him belongs the honor of possessing an accurate knowledge of ship construction and at the same time of sailing, he being considered one of the best, if not the best, of pilots on Georgian Bay. By various companies he has been sent to inspect boats and make surveys, his judgment always being highly valued by his employers, who give due recognition to his ripe knowledge in marine affairs.
Captain Tripp was born in Colborne, Ont., September 24, 1840. He is the eldest of ten children, seven boys and three girls, born to Daniel and Martha (Tuck) Tripp, who were natives of Pennsylvania and England respectively. Daniel Tripp, the father, went to Canada in 1837, and still lives in Colborne, Ont., having always followed the life of a farmer; the mother also spent the greater part of her time in Canada, and died in Colborne in 1858.
Our subject began his life on the water at the age of ten years, when he shipped on the schooner Sara Marie, of Colborne, acting as cook. Upon this boat he remained only part of the season, but was on other schooners of like character for three years serving as cook. He then shipped before the mast on the Catherine, of Cobourg, with Captain Campbell, and afterward on the George Laidlaw, going to Halifax several times and finally to Liverpool, England and Bangor, Wales. From these ports he went to Santa Maria and Cadiz, Spain; Rio Grande de St. Pedro do Sul, Brazil; and thence to Liverpool, from which port he again came to America, and resumed his work on the lakes. For one season he was master of the schooner Charm, of Toronto, and in the winter went to Portland, Maine, and sailed on the brig George Laidlaw to different ports of Cuba, afterward returning to Portland with a cargo of sugar and molasses. He then went to Cape Breton Island and loaded coal for New York, when the vessel was sold to a West Indies sugar firm.
Captain Tripp now returned to the lakes as master of the Caroline, which he sailed one season, and bought an interest in the schooner Odd Fellow, which he sailed two years. The following three years were spent on the Sarah Ann Marsh, of Port Hope, owned by H.J. Morse, of Lockport, N.Y., after which he entered the employ of the lumber firm of Hotchkiss, Hughson & Co., of Albany, N.Y., now known as the Georgian Bay Lumber Company, and sailed the lake tug Wales, engaged for two seasons in towing barges between Georgian Bay and Buffalo. The next year he came into the side-wheeler Chicora, running between Collingwood and Duluth, and then entered the employ of the Beatty North West Transportation Company of Sarnia, sailing the City of Montreal for a short time. Upon leaving this boat he entered the shipyards at Chatham to superintend the building of the Ontario and the Quebec, shipping on the Ontario in 1874 as master. The following season he came on the bark D.M. Foster, in the employ of Sylvester Brothers, of Toronto, and later the Merchants Bank of Canada. He next had command of the steambarge Tecumseh, and the City of Montreal, and was then appointed hull inspector by the Anchor Marine, Merchants Marine and Provincial Insurance Companies, of Canada. This position he held for three years, following which he spent six years on the side-wheeler Rupert, when he was given the position of manager for Smith & Mitchell, of Port Arthur, who had in charge the provisions used during the building of the Canadian Pacific railroad. At this time he purchased the schooner Guelph, which was burned at Quebec in 1882, and he afterward owned the schooner C.T. Van Straubenzee, on which he acted as master three years. He sailed the A. Boody and the Columbian, and then sailed the passenger steamer Riverside for part of a season. For a short time he sailed the W.P. Thew and Waverly, and has since acted as pilot on several boats to Georgian Bay. He is at present in command of the schooner Wm. McGregor, belonging to the Atlantic Transportation Company of New York.
On July 7, 1861, Captain Tripp was married in Liverpool, England, to Mary Ann Anderson, daughter of Capt. William B. Anderson, who spent about thirty years of his life on salt water. Captain and Mrs. Tripp have had a family of nine daughters, eight of whom are living. Socially he is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Knights of Abraham Lincoln.
Edward Trombley, marine engineer of Detroit, Mich., was born in that city in the year 1854 and has always lived there. He first went on the lakes as assistant cook on the old Evergreen City, which he left after about four months service. The next season he went as deckhand on the steambarge Superior, under Captain Desmond, and while on this boat he recovered a pocket-book containing thirteen hundred dollars which had accidentally dropped overboard. Mr. Trombley was engaged in sailing, wheeling, and firing on various boats until 1881, in which year he secured engineer's papers and went as chief of the steamer Glance. He then went to Chicago, where he was employed for three years on different tugs, principally the W.H. Wolf, the Moser, the Van Schaick, the J.L. Minor and the Hood. Returning to Detroit he sailed six years for Ruelle, the Detroit tug owner, on the J.L. Minor, Old Jack, Resolute, Carrington and C.A. Lorman, and he was afterward on the I.U. Masters, tug Swain, and for two seasons on the Salina. During part of the season of 1891, after leaving Ruelle's employ, Mr. Trombley ran the tug Joseph D. Dudley, owned by Benham, of Cleveland, which was almost lost in a disastrous storm on Lake Erie that fall. The towbarge Sawyer broke away and was totally wrecked, and the Dudley barely reached the harbor. Mr. Trombley was afterward second engineer for a season on the steamer Raleigh, in 1894 was second on the propeller Progress, and during the season of 1896 ran the tug Washburn for J. & T. Hurley, of Detroit, until August 4, when he transferred to the tug Maxwell A., continuing on her until January, 1897.
Mr. Trombley has been twice married. He is a member of Detroit Branch No. 3, Marine Engineers Beneficial Association.
GAIUS D. TULIAN
Gaius D. Tulian, of Cleveland, Ohio, who was mate of the steamer Alva during 1896, was born on North Bass island, in Lake Erie, in 1872. His father, Capt. Joseph Tulian, still lives on North Bass, and was a sailor during the greater part of his early life. Captain Tulian commenced sailing on the ocean at the age of fifteen and followed the sea for twenty years, after which he came to the lakes and sailed as master of schooners for some time before he retired from the water.
Gaius D. Tulian began to sail when he was fourteen years of age, his first employment being onboard the steamer I. N. Weston. The following season he spent on the schooner A.J. Rogers, and in 1888 he sailed on the schooner Watson, the tug Brady and the steamer Keystone, the following year serving on the steamer Chauncey Hurlburt. In 1890 he was on the steamers Lowell, Harry E. Packer and William H. Stevens, and he remained on the Stevens all of 1891 and a portion of 1892, completing the latter season on board the steamer Henry Chisholm. He was second mate of the Chisholm and the Gladstone one season each, in 1895 becoming first mate of the steamer Desmond. During the season of 1896 he was first mate of the Alva.
W. D. TURNBULL
W.D. Turnbull, of Detroit, Mich., was born in 1854, in Hamilton, Ontario, and went to Detroit at an early age. He has lived at Detroit ever since, and is well known there.
Mr. Turnbull served an apprenticeship as machinist at the Detroit Dry Dock Engine Works, beginning in 1871, and from the time he finished his trade until 1880 he worked at it steadily. In 1880 he went on the lakes as second engineer of the William Cowie. He did not sail in the season of 1881, but remained ashore, and worked in a machine shop. For the two following seasons he was chief engineer of the barge Abercorn. After leaving the Abercorn he was engaged by the Interocean Transportation Company of Milwaukee, and remained with them eleven years. During the first three seasons he acted as second engineer of the steamer Merrimac, and for three years following was chief engineer of the same vessel. He then was given charge of the steamer Manhattan, and his last five years with the Interocean Transportation Company were spent as chief engineer of that vessel.
Since leaving the lakes, after the season of 1894, Mr. Turnbull has not sailed. He was chief engineer of the Chamber of Commerce building, Detroit, from March 1, 1895 to April 1, 1896, and has held his present position as engineer of the Union Trust Building since May 1, 1896. In June, 1898, Mr. Turnbull was married to Miss Mary E. Kelly, of Muskegon, Michigan.
CAPT. JOHN M. TWITCHELL
Capt. John M. Twitchell is one of the most prominent masters of passenger steamers sailing out of Chicago, and it is exceedingly rare to find a master mariner who has been shipmate with so few vessels. He has had twenty-six years' experience and is now, and has been for the last ten years, master of the second steamer in which he ever sailed. He is acknowledged to be one of the best Lake Superior pilots, and has universally met with good results in all of his passages between Duluth and Chicago. He is thoroughly conversant with the operation and product of the Lake Superior copper mines, the working of which he describes in an entertaining manner. He has carried thousands of tons of this copper in barrels, billets, ingots, pigs, and in bulk from Hancock and Portage Lake to Chicago; also manufactured copper in fine wire, plate copper, boiler bottoms, etc. Last season when the remains of the steamer Pewaubic were discovered, he got a piece of pure copper taken from the wreck which he preserves as a relic.
Captain Twitchell was born in Pulaski, Oswego Co., N.Y., October 17, 1850, a son of Horace and Elmira (Balsley) Twitchell, also natives of Pulaski. His paternal grandparents, Luther and Persis (Percey) Twitchell, were both natives of Vermont, while his maternal grandparents, Nicholas and Randy Balsley, were natives of that county, but of German and Scotch descent respectively. Our subject's father was a lake pilot, for many years in the employ of the old Northern Transportation Company, as mate on the steamer Maine, recently burned at Tonawanda, N.Y., and on the Oswegatchie, with Captain Chipman. The last vessel on which he sailed was the steamer J.L. Hurd, with Capt. Thomas Lloyd. In 1882 he met an accidental death on that steamer by falling into the hold, just as she was entering Duluth harbor. The mother died in Pulaski, N.Y., in 1863.
Captain Twitchell, of this sketch, acquired a liberal education in his native town, attending the public schools until he reached the age of eighteen years, after which he worked on a farm for four years. It was in 1872 that he went to Chicago and shipped with Capt. Thomas Lloyd in the steamer J.L. Hurd, as watchman, and remained on her sixteen years, advancing rapidly to wheelsman, second mate, filling the office of mate five years, and finally becoming master, and as such he sailed her two seasons. In the spring of 1888 he was appointed master of the City of Traverse, and has sailed her ten consecutive seasons without serious mishap of any nature. It was the Captain's good fortune to assist the life-saving crew at St. Joseph in rescuing the crew of the steamer City of Duluth, sunk off that harbor. He has nothing but words of praise for the gallantry of the life savers at St. Joseph, who worked from 10 o'clock at night to 5 the next morning in bitter cold weather, and succeeded in saving forty people. The Captain is one of the earliest members of the Ship Masters Association in Chicago.
On February 6, 1878, Captain Twitchell married Miss Lottie, daughter of Samuel and Margaret Emery, of Mexico City, N.Y., and the children born to this union are: Earl, Lester, and Milton J., deceased. The family homestead is at No. 3811 Michigan avenue, Chicago, Illinois.
WILLIAM H. TYLER
William H. Tyler, chief engineer of the steamer Choctaw, was born in Cleveland, September 2, 1870, a son of William W. Tyler, one of the most successful engineers on the lakes. Mr. Tyler passed through the Cleveland public schools, and commenced sailing at the age of seventeen as oiler on the steamer Gladstone. After two years' service in this vessel he became second engineer of the steamer Nahant, and then of the Oneida, Gladstone, William Chisholm and Yuma in succession, in 1896 taking the berth of chief engineer in the steamer Choctaw. He was in this boat when she was sunk in the Sault river in a collision with the steamer L. C. Waldo.
Mr. Tyler was married, on July 26, 1892, to Miss Maud Brown, of Berg Hill, Ohio, and they have two children: William W. and Effie E.
WILLIAM W. TYLER
William W. Tyler, of Cleveland, claims the distinction of being the oldest marine engineer in the iron-ore trade on the Great Lakes. He was engineer on the steamer Mary Jarecki, owned by Sheppard, Henry & Co., of Erie, which was one of the first steam vessels engaged in carrying ore from Escanaba to Lake Erie ports. There were several steamers in the same line, but all the engineers operating them have passed away, leaving Mr. Tyler the only one to claim the honor of being thus connected with the inception of the now immense industry.
This veteran engineer was born at West Point, N. Y., October 9, 1841. He was a son of Hiram and Mary (Mandigo) Tyler, the former a well-known contractor. The father was born May 4, 1803, and the mother September 13, of the same year. Of their other children Charles was born in 1831; Mary J., December 10, 1835; and Hiram on August 19, 1838.
William W. Tyler attended school in his youth, later learning the machinist's trade. His first sailing occurred about 1858, in vessels on the Hudson river. After several years of service on various crafts, he joined the schooner Oregon, spending the season of 1861 on that vessel, trading up and down the beautiful Hudson. The following year he went to New York and shipped as fireman on the Sandy Hook towboat Thurlow Weed. He remained on this vessel five or six years, becoming second engineer. Then for two years was second engineer of the Blanche Paige, when he served one year longer as chief engineer on the same boat, making short trips out of New York, following which he entered the employ of the David Cox at Sandy Hook, and was successively chief engineer on the steamers William Cox, Tontine, C. J. Saxe, and again on the David Cox. Then he entered the Gamecock line of the big ocean tugs, and was chief of the Gamecock, the F. B. Thurber and the Vim. Following this he became fireman on the side-wheel steamer Thomas Freeborn, and then joined the wrecking steamer Rescue, belonging to the Columbia and Coast Wrecking Company, after which he became chief engineer of the line, being placed in charge of the wrecker Lackawanna; and then came to the lakes at the instance of the same company to run the steamer Leviathan. After leaving the Leviathan he was engineer of the old propeller Sun for a time, and then entered the employ of Sheppard, Henry & Co., the firm previously referred to, with whom he remained eight years. He also served on the steamer Fred Kelley for the same employers.
After leaving this line Mr. Tyler acted as chief engineer of the Oscar Townsend, David W. Rust, and Selah Chamberlain one year each, and of the R. P. Ranney, which he brought out new, being on her three seasons; also was on the City of Cleveland, then new, for one season. Then he spent one year in the National Flouring Mills, making a trip to Philadelphia the year following to bring back to the lakes the steamyacht Peerless, a craft which had the first triple expansion engines on the lakes. Then he served another year in the Ranney, after which he brought out new the steamer Gladstone, and ran her three years, spending one year on the H. K. Devereux, one on the Gladstone and one on the new steamer Alva. Then he entered the employ of the Minnesota Company, and spent three years as chief engineer on the Matoa.
In 1869 Mr. Tyler married Miss Effie E. Ager, of Fishkill-on-the-Hudson, and they were the parents of six children, of whom but two are living: William Henry, born September 2, 1870; and Charles A., born September 22, 1876. Both are following the lakes, the elder son being a chief engineer, and the younger acting as oiler on the Matoa during the season of 1896. Effie E., Robert H., Elword and Clarence died in infancy. An uncle of Mrs. Tyler is Capt. John Watts, who sailed vessels, operating floating stores on the Hudson, and becoming immensely wealthy.
CAPTAIN JOHN TYRNEY
Captain John Tyrney, of Detroit, Mich., a prominent and successful lake captain, was born October 9, 1853, at Sandusky, Ohio. At the age of three years he removed to Clyde, Ohio, with the family, and at that place he attended the public schools until 1866, when the family again changed their place of residence, this time removing to Branch county, Mich. From this place young Tyrney began his career on the lakes, in 1869, serving during his first two seasons as deckhand on the Evening Star. The next year he went on the Sarah Van Epps as wheelsman, and in 1884 he became mate of the Pacific. The following season he came out as mate of the Badger State, and served also in the same capacity in the Osceola and the J. V. Moran. In 1888 he was given the command of the Gazelle, which he retained one season, going the next year on the W. H. Stevens, on which vessel he remained four years. On the North West he served as second officer, and in 1896 he came out on the George Farwell as master. Captain Tyrney has been on the lakes every season since 1869. He has never suffered shipwreck nor any accident of a serious nature. Dennis Flynn and wife, his grandparents, are old settlers of Clyde, Ohio, to which place they removed in their early married life from Vermont, and with them Mr. Tyrney made his home in his youth. His brother-in-law, Gilbert Wild, is second mate at the present time on the Specular.
On November 20, 1882, Captain Tyrney was married to Miss Cora Wild, and they have two children: Ethel, born April 6, 1883, and Leonora, born February 6, 1890. Both these children are at present in school.
Edward Tyrrell, who was born at Toledo, Ohio, April 14, 1844, was a son of Thomas and Kate (Cummerford) Tyrrell, of Syracuse, N.Y., who were among the early pioneers of Toledo, having located at that port in the fall of 1837, when there were but a few houses in the settlement and the present prosperous city still in embryo. The father, being a carpenter and contractor, soon bettered his condition in the rapidly growing town.
After attending school until he reached the age of sixteen years, Edward, the subject of this sketch, was appointed to learn the machinist's trade in Mr. H. Moore's shop, where he remained three years, and since that time has been employed steadily not only in machine shops, but in the engine rooms of the best lake steamers, so that he has been known as one of the most finished and capable machinists in Toledo. Immediately after finishing his trade, he entered the employ of the government, and worked in the shops at Cincinnati and Parkersburg, W. Va., during the last year of the Civil war, the year of 1865 closing while he was engineer of a switch locomotive on the Baltimore & Ohio railroad. In 1866 he returned to Toledo and went to work in the Wabash railroad shops as machinist, remaining there two years.
Mr. Tyrrell commenced his lake-faring life on the propeller Sun, plying between Port Sarnia, Ontario, Buffalo and Chicago as first assistant engineer, his chief being the well-known marine engineer, Frank Lang. After serving in that capacity on the Sun two years, he stopped ashore at Toledo and entered the employ of Messrs. Horton & Kinesser, but in the spring of 1871 he again shipped as first assistant engineer this time on the propeller St. Louis, of the Union Steamboat line, remaining until October, when again he went to work as machinist in the Wabash railroad shops in Toledo. The following spring he was appointed second engineer of the steamer P.H. Birkhead, and on July 4 he received chief's papers from Thomas Fitzpatrick, then local inspector at Cleveland, and took charge of the machinery of the Birkhead. That fall, after laying his steamer up, he went to work in the machine shop of David & Shaw, of Toledo, where he remained until July, 1873, when he was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Mary Pringle, and at the close of the season he entered the employ of the Novelty Works, remaining until April of the following year, when he accepted a place as chief engineer of the Mitchell & Rowland sawmill. The next three years were passed in the shop of Johnathan Smith, as machinist, and in 1879, he again entered the employ of Mitchell & Rowland Lumber Company, remaining with them until the concern was destroyed by fire, after which he went as chief engineer with E.H.H. Smith & Halderman until March 17, when he left and took charge of the Brush Electric Light Company. This was the first electric light plant in Toledo. The following year he returned to the shop of Smith & Halderman, and remained there four years as machinist. This was followed by three years in the same capacity in the shop of Mr. E. McClery. After being employed a short time in the machine shop of George Hartley and Mitchell & Rowland, he again returned to Smith & Halderman and remained with them until 1895, when he entered the shop of the Ohio Railroad Company.
In the spring of 1896 Mr. Tyrrell returned to his lake-faring life as chief engineer of the steamer Mary Pringle, on which he closed the season. After giving universal satisfaction in all of his many occupations, he is now taking a well-earned rest. He is an ardent member of the Marine Engineers Beneficial Association, and a charter member of the Machinists National Association and of Machinists Association No. 105.
Mr. Tyrrell was united by marriage to Miss Jennie Finerty, of Sandusky, Ohio, in 1872. Four children - Carrie, Catherine, William and Francis - have been born to this union. The family homestead is at No. 1118 Washington street, and is filled with all the comforts of home life.