Nearly 4000 biographical sketches of pioneers and citizens
The Western Historical Company, Chicago
A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881
of this firm, was born August 11, 1846, in Muskego, Waukesha County. He is a son of Owen and Rosanna (Macaneny) Carey both natives of Ireland who came to America when young and settled at Muskego in 1844, where they still reside on their farm. Mr. Carey spent the early days of his life on the farm and came to Milwaukee to enter business life. He was appointed one of the inspectors of the Water Works in 1873, and later was Deputy Sheriff until he engaged in his present business. Mr. Carey was married November 30, 1871, to Miss Mary Ann Hackett of this city, a daughter of Edward and Bridget (Lannon) Hackett. Her father for many years was Under Sheriff of the County. He died in December, 1874, and her mother still resides in this city. They have two sons and a daughter, Mary Jane, aged 8 years, Edward B., aged 6, and Wm. J. aged 1 year. They lost one infant son, Eugene F., aged 4 years, who died February 2, 1881, of scarlet fever.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1194
CARPELES, HEISER & CO.
Manufacturers of trunks and traveling bags, office No. 394 East Water street. Factory Nos. 217 to 225 Sixth street. Branch office Nos. 76 and 78 Wabash avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Business established in the Fall of 1875, employing the first year 30 men. Their trade reached the first year $40,000. They now employ 100 men in the factory, and do an annual busines of $150,000.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1447-48
CAPT. ROBERT K. CASWELL
CAPT. ROBERT K. CASWELL, was born in Grand Island, New York; commenced steam-boating on Lake Erie in 1838, and came to Milwaukee in 1840. In 1841, went to Buffalo, and cut out the steamer "Milwaukee," that was held there in controversy and brought her to Milwaukee in the interest of Solomon Juneau; was master of the schooner "Merrill," which he sailed one season; then built the small schooner called the "Sylvenus Marvin," and sailed her one season. The next year he took the schooner "Sea Serpent" off the beach, repaired her, changed her name to "The Mint," and sailed her one season. The next year he sailed the schooner "Solomon Juneau; in 1846, retired to his farm near the city, which he had purchased from the Government in 1842. In 1858, he started a lumber yard, located near Reed street, where he continued one year, when he removed to Reed street, opposite the Union Depot; remained there almost five years. In 1862, William V. Caswell was admitted as a partner with his father, the firm being R.K. Caswell & Son. The business was removed to South Water street in 1865, and continued by William V. Caswell, alone, R.K. Caswell retiring to the farm, just northweset of the city limits; he remained on the farm until the time of his death, which occurred December 14, 1870, aged 58 years and nine months.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1579
WILLIAM V. CASWELL
WM. V. CASWELL, lumber commission merchant, Marine Block, was born in the Village of Chippewa, Canada, July 4, 1836; came to Milwaukee with his parents in 1841, and when only a boy went sailing with his father; worked as a ship carpenter and caulker for several years, and in 1862 was admitted as a partner with his father in the lumber business; closed out the business in 1869, and in 1871 took charge of the schooner "Sinai," of which he was part owner, engaged in the lumber trade, and sailed her till 1873, when she was lost at Point Betsy, east shore of Lake Michigan. He commenced the lumber commission business in the Marine Block in 1876; deals in pine and hardwood lumber, wood and bark railroad ties, cedar posts and telegraph poles by the cargo; handles from $80,000 to $100,000 worth of stock annually. Residence, No. 693 North Second street.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1504
DYE-HOUSES AND LAUNDRIES.
A. Chaintron & Son, French dyers and scourers, No. 557 East Water street. Business established in March, 1854. Mr. Chaintron first commenced business with a small capital of about $1,000, doing his own work. In the Spring of 1870 he sold his business to his son Ferdinand, who ran it six years until his death, January 3, 1877, which was caused by the explosion of benzine. He and his wife were burned to death. The younger brother, Gustav, narrowly escaped being burned to death at the same time. This is the oldest establishment of the kind in the city. Mr. A. Chaintron learned the business in Paris, commencing at the age of 15, and having followed it all his life is an expert. He was born in France November 15, 1820, and came to Milwaukee in June, 1854. His father, John, and his grandfather were both dyers before him. He was married June 26, 1843, to Miss Louise Lucas, of France.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1277-78
GUSTAV CHAINTRON, manufacturer of Wattendorff’s anaquarine cement and cemented cloth, No. 558 River street. This preparation renders all articles to which it is applied absolutely water proof, and sufficiently fire proof to so protect dry pine surfaces to which it is applied, as to require several minutes for ignition. As it is in the nature of a liquid cement, it can be applied to the interior of all drinking and cooking utensils, and is certified by skillful chemists to possess no deleterious qualities. The preparation has also been used satisfactorily in this city by the late Steam Supply Company, for closing leaks in steam pipes, and also for packing joints in steam, gas, and hot air pipes. It has also been used in place of zinc, for lining ice boxes, with a saving of over 30 per cent. Mr. Chaintron was born July 10, 1860, in this city; learned his trade as a dyer, followed it until one year ago, and then engaged in the manufacture of Pearl Barley, which business he surrendered, to engage in his present business, March 1, 1881. His machinery has been thoroughly tested, and is prepared to turn out from 5,000 to 6,000 pounds daily, of a very superior article. The compound is manufactured dry and only requires the addition of water to render it fit for use.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1517
J.A. Chapman, with the Riverside Printing office, residence No. 420 Clybourn street, born in Toronto, Canada, Jul 11, 1844, removed to the City of New York the same year, and settled in Milwaukee the following year, living in one of the first houses built, in what is now known as the Ninth Ward. He is a pressman by occupation, having entered a printing office at the age of thirteen years, and is still following the business. He is at present with the Riverside Printing Company. He was a member of the City Council for three years, representing the Ninth Ward.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1662
Edward Chaumette, wines and liquors, No. 144 Mason street, a native of Southern France, born in 1848, is a shoe cutter by trade, having learned the same in Paris; was afterwards engaged in the liquor business with his brother, in Bordeaux; came to Milwaukee, bringing with him a full stock in French wines and cordials, in 1870; commenced business on East Water street, where he remained eight years; removed to his present location in 1878, and married Miss Rosalie Duvigneaud, of Waukesha, Wis., in 1872.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1479 under the heading: IMPORTERS AND RETAIL DEALERS
CHIPMAN & RAESSER
CHIPMAN & RAESSER, No. 102 Ferry street, commission merchants, dealers in wood, hardwood and pine lumber, bark, telegraph poles, posts, ties, etc., by the cargo. Business established in the Spring of 1879; annual product about $200,000. The firm own the scow "M N. Dunham," Captain John O'Brien, engaged in their line of trade; have also one-half interest in the schooner "L. J. Conway," Captain Ludwig Larson, master and half-owner. The firm also own one-third interest in the schooner "Pierpont" in the same trade, C. Lennox, captain.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1508
CHRISTOPHER S. RAESSER, of the firm of Chipman & Raesser, was born in Rochester, N. Y., in 1843; came to Milwaukee with his parents in 1845; served three years in the late war as a member of Company M, Third Wisconsin Cavalry; was engaged in the mercantile business in Missouri in 1867-69. On his return to Milwaukee, he was engaged in the grading and wood business for three years; in 1875 formed a partnership with Wm. V. Caswell in the commission business; continued in this busihess up to 1878, when a partnership was formed with Mr. Chipman under the firm name of Chipman & Raesser. Mr. Raesser served as a member of the Wisconsin Legislature for 1879-80, from the Sixth and Thirteenth Wards. <.p>
DANIEL W. CHIPMAN was born in Vermont; went to Erie, Pa., and in 1846 came to Milwaukee. In 1856 he went to California; remained there till 1859, when he returned to Milwaukee. During the war he was in the naval service of the United States two years as first assistant engineer on the United States gun-boat "Proteus"; from 1871 to 1876 he was engaged in the tug business, being sole owner of the "Dick Davis,' and also had a one-third interest in the tug "P. C. Maxon." In 1876 he engaged in the lumber commission business. In 1878 a partnership was formed with C. S. Raesser, and the business continued under the, firm name as above.
JOHN CHRISTOPHELJOHN CHRISTOPHEL. grocer, No. 440 National avenue." > Page 979 Herman SCHERFF was listed as a member of the Sons of Herman. > Page 1247 "VALENTINE ZIMMERMAN, is a son of Frederick Zimmerman who was born in 1811 and died in Milwaukee, December 5, 1873, his wife still surviving him. Valentine Zimmerman was married September 14, 1870 to Miss Mary H. Flynn, of Milwaukee. They have three sons living. James Zimmerman was born April 22, 1849 in Milwaukee. He was married October 26, 1880, to Miss Emily L. Showalter of this city. The West Branch of Zimmerman Bros.' store was established in October, 1878, at the corner of Twelfth and Cherry streets. B.H. Bockhorst, who has charge, was born in Germany, June 22,1841; has followed the business of a cutter of clothing since 1860. Came to America in May 1864 and to Milwaukee in 1866. Has been in business for himself for seven years, and with the present firm since 1878.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1197
barber, resides at No. 357 Railroad street, and does business at No. 116 Clinton street, where he has been over sixteen years running two chairs. This is one of the oldest barber shops in the city. He was born in Holland October 21, 1821. a son of Andrew and Johanna Claassen. His father (a carpenter) raised him to that trade, and he learned the barber's trade also before coming to the United States. He was married March 17, 1848 to Miss Mary T. Mulder, when they sailed for Milwaukee direct. He was a journeyman carpenter for some years, working for Jas. Douglass three years. His wife died December 16, 1863, leaving two daughters and three sons living, they having buried two sons and a daughter. He was again married in this city, May 3, 1869 to Mrs Gertrude Van Groll. They have three sons and two daughters. His son Henry was accidentally tipped from a small boat and drowned in the Milwaukee River July 30, 1869, aged 15 years. His living children are Mrs. Anna Maria Hetrick, Marie Antonette (nine), Theodore (seven), Gertrude C.(five), Joseph Max, Jr. (four). Mrs Claassen has one son and one daughter by her first husband, Henry W. in business with Mr. Claassen and Johanna P. Mrs. C. is a native of Holland, and came to Milwaukee in 1849.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1433
JOSEPH A. COCHRANE
carpenter, car builder at the Milwaukee car shops, son of Joseph Cochrane, was born in Troy, N.Y., in 1848; came to Milwaukee with his parents in 1850. He learned the carpenter's trade, beginning in 1869; was an employe of John Plankinton & C., seven years in various capacities. In September 1877, he engaged with the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway as car builder in the Milwaukee car ships; has been an employe of the company nearly four years. Residence, NO. 513 Clybourn street. Mr. Cochrane's father was one of the earliest engineers on the road. His sketch appears elsewhere in this work.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1356
proprietor of saloon No. 95 Ferry street, was born in the State of New York, September 9, 1841; he came to Milwaukee in 1864, and was engaged sailing on the lakes from 1864 to 1872 when he started his present business.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1480
CAPTAIN JOHN COCHRANE
Master of the steam barge "Colin Campbell." The subject of this sketch was born in Oswego, N.Y., in 1844. Came to Milwaukee in 1890. Began sailing in 1861 was given command of the three-master "A.J. Maury," in 1867; sailed her that season. The next year took command of the brig "Montgomery," which he sailed one season; then engaged as master of the scow schooner "Nellie Church," which he sailed three seasons. The following year he sailed the steam barge "Hilton," and the next season took command of the propeller "Jacob Bertschy," which he sailed three seasons; then passed to the barge "Trader", of which he was master one season. Sailed several others a short time. In 1875 took command of the steam barge "Colin Campbell" of 373 tons, engaged in the lumber trade, of which he owns one-fourth interest. Has sailed her five seasons. Residence No. 450 Greenbush street.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 491
(deceased), was born in Brownville, N.Y., in 1821. He was married, December 14, 1843, to Miss Emeline Gambia, in Oneida County. Mrs. Cochrane was born in Lee County, N.Y. Mr. Cochrane moved to Troy in 1846, where he learned the machinist's trade, and in 1850 came to Milwaukee, Wis., to engage in the manufacture of steam pressed brick. He was the first in the city to introduce machinery for that purpose; continued that business until 1851, when he engaged with the Milwaukee & Mississippi Railway as engineer. He ran the engine "Wisconsin," and to have been the second engine on the road. He continued with that company about three years, when, on leaving the line, he engaged in the manufacture of pressed brick for James H. Rogers. Later, he began the manufacture of hand brick, on his own account, and continued the business until 1860, when he organized a force of street-sprinkling wagons, and pursued that business until 1877. For the next two years, until the time of his death, which occurred March 19, 1879, he was not in active business. His eldest son Lemuel G., was a soldier of the late war, who proved his patriotism by sacrificing his life at the battle of Murfreesboro. He was a member of Company B, Twenty -fourth Wisconsin Volunteers. The second son, James F., is a clerk in the car service department of the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, at Milwaukee. The third, Joseph A., is an employe of the same company in the Milwaukee car shops. The fourth Samuel W., is a fireman, and the youngest, Geo. L., is a clerk in the ticket office. All of the same company.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1331
proprietor of meat market at No. 404 National avenue, was born December 23, 1848, in Bavaria, and came to Milwaukee in 1867, commencing his present business in 1872. Mr. Conrad built a substantial building for his market in 1878.
Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1231
contractor and builder, shop No. 152 Fifth street; a native of this city; his father came here in 1835. Mr. Conrad commenced his present business in 1874 in company with Peter G. Hedrickson, and continued with him until 1878. Since that time he has continued alone.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1529
M. COOGAN, superintendent of the steam-fitting and steam-heating department, and also a partner in that department of their business, was born June 9, 1838, in Dublin, Ireland. His parents emigrated to America in 1846 and settled in New York City, where he remained till 1863; learned his trade in New York and worked there from 1856 till he came to Milwaukee in 1863. Since that time he has been in the same establishment; was first foreman of M.M. Leahy till 1870, when he engaged with Hoffman, Billings & co. and has been with them since that time.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1294
MICHAEL H. COOKE
Principal of Second District School, was born in Kings County, Ireland, September 29, 1845. He was brought to the United States when two years old. Is the son of Martin Cooke, who was a practical teacher, both in Europe and America, for a period of forty-eight years. Was educated in his father's academy in Rochester, N.Y. Was four years in Cedarburg, Ozaukee County, Wis., and two years in Milwaukee County. Since September, 1866, has been a teacher in the public schools of Milwaukee; five years as Principal of Washington and the intermediate department of the Ninth Ward School. Took charge of the Second District School May, 1871, which position he still retains. Was married August, 1870, to Miss Sarah McCann of Milwaukee. They have two children living; buried their eldest, Walter, Nov. 1878. Owns a residence, No. 1326 Cedar street. Has been for ten years Principal of one of the largest district schools in Milwaukee; a school which includes only the higher grades. Is devoted to educational work, and is a strict disciplinarian.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 533
THOMAS M. CORBETT
Builder of engines, and machinery, Nos. 135 and 137 Lake street. The business was established in 1871 in the present location by Nelson & Corbett. In 1873 Mr. Corbett purchased the interest of his partner, Joseph Nelson, and has conducted the business alone since then. He employs a large number of men. Mr. Corbett is a native of Staffordshire, England. He came to American in 1854; lived in Boston about a year; resided two years in Jacksonville, Ill. and in St. Louis, Mo., from 1856 to 1863. Since that time he has been a resident of Milwaukee.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1299
ALLYN COX, Treasurer of the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad, is a native of New York City. He grew up and received his education there, and began railroading in 1870, with the old "Atlantic and Pacific", now the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad. Next he became connected with the Canada Southern, as assistant secretary. In 1874, he accepted the position of auditor of the "Wabash" Railroad and remained with that company about six years. In September, 1880, he was appointed to his present position as treasurer of the Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad.
See also Milwaukee, Lake Shore & Western Railroad in the Transportation/Railroad section
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1398-1402
JOHN CRAWFORD, deceased, was born in Worcester, Mass., December 4, 1792. His parents moving to Chester, Vt., in 1810, young Crawford, in romantic term, "set out to seek his own fortune". In Lawrence County, N.Y., he found employment among the farmers of that and adjoining localities. The breaking out of the War of 1812 found him in Quebec, having been engaged in the rafting of vessel spars to that city. Returning to Waddington, N.Y., as soon as possible, he joined the New York State Militia. On the 20th of September, 1814, he married the lady who, for sixty sixty-six years, was his constant companion and helpmate. In 1820 reorganized the State Militia, having received, for that purpose, a commission from Governor De Witt Clinton. He rapidly rose in rank until commissioned Major-General of the Twenty-ninth Division of the New York Infantry, by Governor John A. Dix. On the 10th of November, 1834, General Jackson appointed him Inspector of Revenue for the District of Oswegatchie, with headquarters in Waddington, N.Y. It was thus quite late in life, in 1836 that General Crawford started westward and began life anew, at Michigan City, Ind. During that year he visited Milwaukee as the agent of a company, who desired to purchase a steamer plying between his home, the latter city and Chicago. Going to Detroit he purchased the steamer "Detroit" and spent the Winter in getting it ready for travel. After several trips on Lake Erie, he arrived in this city June 14, 1837. From that time forth he engaged in regular trips between Milwaukee and Michigan City, touching at Racine, Southport, now Kenosha, and Chicago. While in command of the boat he always landed his goods at Kilbourn's dock, near Chestnut-street bridge. On October 25, 1837, while at anchor off Kenosha, during a snow storm, the cable parted and boat was wrecked. All hands, however, escaped. General Crawford next revisited his old home in New York State. On his return he claimed the homestead in the Town of Wauwatosa, upon which he subsequently settled. He at one time ran the harbor steamer "Badger" for the people of Kilbourntown, now the West Side. In 1842 he took the census of Wauwatosa. His career since then is well known to all who are conversant with public affairs. It was chiefly through his efforts that the new Court House was located on the East Side, and was therefore deemed the person most fit to lay the corner stone of that edifice. With that honor his appearance in public ceased, and he afterwards lived in retirement, deafness and other infirmities forbidding further participation in public affairs. He passed away, with well-deserved respect earned by a life well spent, on the 8th of March, 1881, breathing his last at the old home in Wauwatosa.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1639-40
Milwaukee Bridge and Iron Works, corner of Fowler and Seventeenth streets (Cunningham & Keepers), engineers, bridge builders and contractors, iron work for bridges of all kinds, piers, trestles, roofs, turn-tables and general iron construction. The works were established by G.W. James and L. Soulerin, and came into the hands of the present owners in 1877. the capacity of the works is about 1,800 tons per years.
J. H. CUNNINGHAM is a native of Edinburgh, Scotland; came to America in 1876 and to Milwaukee as engineer of the works in the same year. He is a member of both the Liverpool and American societies of civil engineers.
Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1295