Milwaukee County Churches
Methodist Episcopal Church of Milwaukee
Methodism in Milwaukee is by no means a plant of recent growth in the city, appearing upon the general minutes of the Methodist Episcopal Church in connection with the Illinois Conference so far back as 1835. According to Dr. Enoch Chase, a Methodist minister, probably Mr. Robinson, preached at his house in June 1835, and Mr. Clark, a presiding elder of that Church, also preached in the same place during that year and the year following. It remained under this jurisdiction until the formation of the Rock River Conference in 1840. From that time until 1848 it remained attached to the Rock River Conference when it was joined to the Wisconsin Conference.
Milwaukee first appears on these minutes as a mission and so continues for several years. The first church services were held at private residences. The necessity of having a place of worship was severely felt, but the poverty of the society put all questions of building out of the range of possibilities. Finally a carpenters shop, located on the corner of Huron and East Water streets, was found which was offered to the use of the members by its owners, W.A. and L. S. Kellogg. The building was a one-story frame structure, and stood on posts, surrounded by a pond of water, entrance being effected by means of a narrow bridge from the door to terra-firma.
On the 8th and 9th of January, 1837, the first quarterly meeting was held in this building, Rev. John Clark, Presiding Elder, officiating. Besides the Presiding Elder and Rev. Mr. Crissey, the pastor, there was only one other member-David Worthington-present.
On the 22d of July, 1837, a meeting was called at the house of Rev. W.S. Crissey to legally organize the Chruch under the territorial laws. Elah Dibble acted as chairman and W.A. Kellogg as secretary. Elah Dibble, David Worthington, W.A. Kellogg, L.S. Kellogg, J.K. Lowry, Jared Thompson and Joseph E. Howe were the first Trustees of the Society.
At the next session of the Illinois Conference held in September, 1837, Rev. James R. Goodrich was appointed pastor to the young but growing Church. The pastor's salary at the time, including traveling expenses, was placed at $675. Mr. Goodrich's health failed daring (sic) the year and for the remainder of 1837 and the year of 1838 the Church was without a pastor, the financial crisis of these years having worked serious ill to the Church, as well as to others. Mr. Jared Thompson, a local preacher, was their main stay during the interval, but as the roads were often times impassable his visits were necessarily of the most uncertain nature. Late in 1839 the pastorate was filled by Rev. Daniel Brayton. The question of a church edifice was agitated that year, but owing to the continued financial depression the subject was dropped.
Mr. Brayton was succeeded in 1840 by Rev. John Crummer. Owing to the fact that the carpenter shop used for church purposes must now be wholly used for secular work, the necessity of having a public place of worship was again forced upon the attention of the members of the society and the result was the erection of a building which was dedicated in May 1841. The new church was located on a lot donated by the Hon. Morgan L. Martin the preceding year, and situated on the east side of Broadway between Oneida and Biddle streets.
In the Spring of 1844 the necessity of a larger church was again felt and resulted in the purchase of a lot on the northwest corner of West Water and Spring streets, and work on the new church was immediately commenced. The building was completed during the year at a cost of $10,000 and dedicated by Rev. W.M.D. Ryan of Chicago. (This is now Plankinton Ave. and Wisconsin Ave.)
The rapidly growing population in different parts of the city having for some time foreshadowed one if not more separate organizations, it was deemed advisable to change the name of the station to Spring street, the name of the principal street, upon which the church was located.
SPRING STREET STATION
GRAND AVENUE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
(Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical
Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 815-816)
As will be seen by the foregoing introductory sketch this Church is the oldest Methodist Episcopal Church in the city. AT the Conference held in June, 1850, Rev. W.G.Miller, D.D., was appointed to the pastorate. It was during this year that the notorious church riot occurred, brought about by the presence of the Rev. Mr. Leahy, an ex-monk, who had renounced his vows and joined the Protestant Methodist Church. During the progress of an evening service held by him in Spring Street church, one Sabbath evening, the doors were forced and the building filled with a mob armed with bludgeons and other missiles. A short conflict ensued ending in the retiring of the mob. The affair caused a great deal of excitement in the young city, and a public meeting was held to condemn this outburst of mob law. Mr. Leahy was guaranteed the protection of the community and under this protection spoke seeral times afterwards at different places without molestation. The Catholic clergy of the city denounced the riotous proceedings, as will be seen by reference to the chapter of Police Department.
On January 14, 1854 the church building was destroyed by fire. The lot on which it had stood was sold, and the Congregational church on the corner of Spring and Second streets purchased. On the 4th of July, 1861, the society suffered a loss by the burning of their church edifice for the second time. On the same site, however, a business block was erected, with an audience room in the second story, in 1863. It was dedicated January 23, 1864, the entire cost of the building being $9,500. During the interval the congregation worshipped in a small hall over Ogden's carriage repository, which had been fitted up for the purpose.
In 1865, during Rev. P.B. Pease's pastorate, the lot on which the present church stands was bought (October 1867), and the present parsonage erected thereon.
In 1869, the church block was sold for $20,000, and the present church building commenced. In 1871 the edifice was completed and dedicated October 8, 1871.
The church is now in a prosperous condition and free from debt. The seven oldest members still in active service are Mrs. Ann Flowers, John H. VanDyke, James Seville and his wife, Mrs. Charlotte Seiler and Mrs. Emma Sercome. These members were connected with the Church previous to 1848.
Connected with the Church are a Ladies' Aid Society and Women's Foreign Missionary Society.
Methodist Episcopal Church of Milwaukee Started in 1835 and met in private homes and businesses in Milwaukee. Pastors: Rev. Mark Robinson (1835) Rev. William S. Crissey (1836) Rev. John Clark (Presiding Elder - 1837) Rev. James Goodrich (1837) Rev. Daniel Brayton (1839) Rev. John Crummer (1840) Rev. Silas Bolles (1841) Rev. William H. Sampson (no dates given) Rev. Francis A. Savage (no dates given) Rev. Abraham Hanson (no dates given) Rev. W. M. D. Ryan (1846) Rev. James E. Wilson (no starting date but stayed through 1849) Then became Grand Avenue Methodist Episcopal Church Rev. W. G. Miller (1850) Rev. Samuel C. Thomas (1852) Rev. Chauncy Hobart (1853) Rev. Philo S. Bennett (1854) Rev. Milton Rowley (no date given) Rev. C. S. Macreading (no date given but served until 1858) Rev. Elijah Robinson (1858) Rev. J. M. Walker (1859) Rev. J. C. Robbins (1860) Rev. W. G. Miller (2nd Pastorate)(1862) Rev. P. B. Pease (1865) Rev. Samuel Fallows (1867) Rev. G. C. Wells (1870) Rev. W. G. Miller (3rd Pastorate)(1871) Rev. G. A. Smith (1874) Rev. Henry Coleman (1876) Rev. F. S. Stein (1879) First Trustees: Elah Dibble David Worthington W. A. Kellogg L. S. Kellogg J. K. Lowry Jared Thomson Joseph E. Howe Oldest Members (1881) Mrs. Ann Flowers John H. Van Dyke James Seville Mrs. James Seville Mrs. Charlotte Seiler Mrs. Emma Sercome 1881 Trustees Rev. F. S. Stein (Pastor) John H. Van Dyke (President) John B. Judson (Secretary) F. L. Mayhew (Treasurer) Walter Lacy A. J. W. Pierce Edwin Hyde Thomas D. Cook Thomas Greenwood George W. Mayhew 1881 Stewards F. L. Mayhew (Treasurer) Cyrus H. Johnson (Assistant Treasurer) George W. Young (Secretary) W. H. Stevens S. D. Hyde John Greenwood William Holloway 1881 Class Leaders Walter T. Lacy J. B. Judson James Palmer Rev. E. Hyde
SUMMERFIELD METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
(Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 816-818)
The need of a mission on the east side of the river was felt as early as the Summer of 1851, but it was not until the succeeding year that the movement received impetus enough to turn the wish into a reality. In September, 1852, Rev. S.C. Thomas, then pastor of the Spring Street Church, bought for $400 the Universalist church, which at that time stood on the corner of Broadway and Michigan streets, where the Newhall House now stands. Lot No. 10 in Block 77, now occupied by houses Nos. 528 and 532 Jackson street, between Biddle and Martin, had been previously purchased by Geo. F. Austin and Osmond Bailey for $1,100. Onto the lot the building was moved, and when fitted up the whole cost amounted to $2,000. This new church was dedicated December 1, 1852, by Rev. A. Hanson.
The charge appears on the minutes of the Conference of September 1, 1852, as a city mission connected with Grove street on the South Side, both being under the pastoral care of Rev. J.M.S. Maxon. The first members, as near as can be ascertained, were:
Mr. and Mrs. George F. Austin
Mr. and Mrs. Osmond Bailey
Mr. and Mrs. Mitchell Steever
Mr. and Mrs. W.A. Chapman
September 9, 1853, the mission was made an independent charge and named Jackson street, after the street on which the church was located, and Rev. Jabez Brooks was appointed pastor.
At the conference held August 20, 1854, the charge was left to be supplied, and was, until the appointment could be filled, entrusted to the care of W. A. Chapman, a local preacher, assisted by Rev. Dr. Hunter, a retired minister of the Congregational Church.
In February, 1855, Rev. A. McWright was appointed regular pastor. August 22 of the conference year, the lot which is now the site of Summerfield church was bought. At the Conference of August 29, 1855, Rev. S.C. Thomas was appointed pastor, and during his pastorate of two years uch progress was made in the erection of a new church on the recently purchased lot. February 26, 1856, subscriptions to the amount of $6,000 having been obtained, the contract was let and work on the new building commenced.
The property on Jackson street was sold during the year, from which the sum of $6,000 was realized. The building was then moved to the southwest corner of VanBuren and Michigan streets, and became the Welsh Calvanistic church.(see See Welsh Calvanistic Church It was afterward moved to No. 118 Michigan street.
Early in February of 1857, the name of the Church was changed to Summerfield, by a vote of the Board of Trustees. The name of the charge was changed to the same at the ensuing Conference. On the 15th of February, the lecture-room of the new edifice having been completed, it was dedicated by Rev. T.M. Eddy, D.D., of Chicago. April 4, 1858, the auditorium was dedicated by the same gentleman. At the Conference of August 26, 1857, Rev. H.C. Tilton was appointed pastor, and continued in charge two years.
The following is a chronological list of the pastors:
JACKSON STREET METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Summerfield Methodist Episcopal Church (name change) - 1857
Rev. S. C. Thomas (1852) Pastor of Spring St. Church - Organizer Rev. J. M. S. Maxon (1852) Rev. Jabez Brooks (1853) Rev. Dr. Hunter (retired Congregational minister filled in during vacancy) Rev. A McWright (1855) Rev. S. C. Thomas (1855) Now here after Spring St. Church Rev. H. C. Tilton (1857) Rev. Edward Cook (1859) Rev. James E. Wilson (1860) Rev. S. C. Thomas (1861) - 2nd pastorate Rev. P. B. Pease (1863) Rev. Samuel Fallows (1865) Rev. H. S. White (1868) Rev. J. Hill (1869) Rev. W. P. Stone (1871) Rev. O. B. Thayer (1872) Rev. C. N. Stowers (1874) Rev. S, N. Griffith (1875) Rev. O. J. Cowles (1877) Rev. J. E. Gilbert - Pastor at time of authorship of historical volume (1881) First Members Mr. & Mrs. George Austin Mr. & Mrs. Osmond Bailey Mr. & Mrs. Mitchell Steever Mr. & Mrs. W. A. Chapman 1881 Officials Rev. H. Colman - Presiding Elder Rev. J. E. Gilbert - Pastor Local Preachers Robert Sherin James Kay Stewards James Suydam - Recording Steward W. F. Lewis - Financial Secretary R. Sherin - Treasurer District Stewards W. W. Wallis G. S. Richards H. M. Butts J. F. Johnston J. W. Durfour Trustees R. P. Elmore John Fitzgerald J. T. Wallis R. W. Patterson G. F. Austin J. G. Dally L. W. Chase L. Richards From Milwaukee Historical Society: Pew Rent at Spring Street Methodist Church This church was later known as the First Methodist Church. The following names are from the Treasurerís Account book 15 Oct 1857: Alger, L.M. Armstrong, Moses Barthelt, N. G. Briggs, A.F. Burrows, P. W. Chapin, E.O. Cherry, Jas. Cocup, F. R. Crouch, J. Davis, Wm. Dusworth, R. Elmone, S.L. Follanshe, M.F. Folsom, Isaac Greenwood, Thos. Gridley, M. Helliwell, Thos. L. Holton, Jas. James, Chas. Jenkins, John Johnson, F. Judson, J. B. Kehoe, Thos. Larigo, C.F. Lawrence, Geo. Londen, Wm. Lucey, Wm. Maxfield, A. Maxfield, J.B. Mayhew, F. L McFarland, M. H. McKay, W. Miller, F. Mockett, R. S. Morrison, Hugh Morse, Cornelius Morse, Samuel Petrie, Daniel Phipps, M. Pierce, J. W. Pigg, Geo. Rice, J.W. Rood, J. L. Rundell, C.C. Seiler, Harry Sercomb, Jon Seville, James Smean, Sam Stone, Simon VanDynke, J.H. Waldo, A. G. Wallace, John Williams, W. Woofitt, Wm. Word, H.
ASBURY METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
(at Walker's Point)
A.K.A. Walkers Point, Reed Street, Grove Street
(Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 818-819)
The first class out of which grew Ashbury Church was formed in the fall of 1847. It consisted of Mr. and Mrs. Osmond Bailey, Mrs. Captain Stewart, Mrs. Warren, Mrs. Almina Waite, Mrs. Worden, Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Waite, and M.S. Velie.
Previous to the formation of this class the territory, then known as Walker's Point, in which the station is located was claimed by the Root River Circuit, which lay along the lake shore southward from Milwaukee, and pastors from this circuit occasionally preached in the place, but no permanent footing was effected until the formation of the above class in 1847.
At the Conference in 19848, the class was erected into a mission and Rev. Warner Oliver appointed as its pastor. The meetings were held in a school-house located on lots eleven and twelve in block one hundred and one. At the close of the year the mission contained thirty-two members. At the Conference of 1849 Rev. Wm Williard was appointed as pastor and returned the succeeding year. During the latter part of his pastorate lots three and four of block twenty on Reed street were purchased and a plain frame building erected thereon. At the Conference held July 3, 1851, the name of the mission was changed from Walker's Point to Reed street and Rev. R.P. Lawton was appointed to the charge. During this year it was determined to remove the church building to a more eligible location, and lots on the corner of Virginia and Grove street were secured.
In 1852 the name was again changed from Reed to Grove street. In the Spring of 1857 the church was destroyed by fire. The old lot on which the church stood having been held only by lease, a new lot, comprising the west half of two lots on the northeast corner of First avenue and Park street, was purchased and a temporary structure erected. In 1857 the building now used as a parsonage was erected. In 1862, the present brick edifice was planned and completed during the ensuing year. The new structure was dedicated by Rev. Dr. Eddy, assisted by Rev. Dr. Tiffany. The former church building was then altered over for a parsonage, in which capacity it has since been used.
ASBURY METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
1847 Pastors and dates installed: Rev. Warren Oliver - 1848 Rev. William Willard - 1849 Rev. R. P. Lawton - 1851 Rev. J. M. S. Maxon - 1852 Rev. A. C. Pennock - 1853 Rev. R. Blackburn - 1854 Rev. W. A. Chapman - 1855 ((Interim Pastor) Rev. Jcob Miller - 1856 Rev. R. C. Parsons - 1857 Rev. A. C. Maxwell - 1859 Rev. Alpha Wright - 1860 Rev. Henry Colman - 1861 Rev. George Fellows - 1862 Rev. D. H. Muller - 1864 Rev. H. C. Tilton - 1866 Rev. S. C. Lamb - 1866 Rev. G. W. England - 1867 Rev. G. A. Wells - 1869 Rev. W. W. Case - 1870 Rev. A. A. Hoskins - 1872 Rev. Henry Sewell - 1876 Rev. George C. Haddock - 1878 Rev. R. Lugg (no date given but serving in 1881 when History was published) Class from Church was formed: Mr. & Mrs. Osmond Bailey Mrs. Captain Stewart Mrs. Warren Mrs. Almina Waite Mrs. Worden Mr. & Mrs. Daniel Waite M. S. Velie Church Officers in 1881 Rev. R. Lugg - Pastor W. V. Widener - Treasurer & Financial Secretary J. H. Fertig - Secretary of Official Board Trustees: G. F. Helliwell Robert Allen J. R. L'Estrange H. Cheney G. H. Warner J. E. Wildish George Philpot W. C. Raynor W. V. Widener Stewards: G. F. Helliwell P. H. Early Charles Colby J. H. Fertig Hugh Griffith W. V. Widener W. C. Raynor J. W. Cole J. R. L'Estrange
FIRST GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
was first known as the
First Milwaukee Mission of the German M. E. Church
(Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 819-820)
Southeast corner of Chestnut and Eleventh streets. In speaking of the beginning of this church it is well to quote from a small pamphlet published n 1873 by the Rev. W.G. Miller, D.D. entitled "Milwaukee Methodism." He says : "Milwaukee first appears in the general minutes in connection with the German work in the Illinois Conference in 1848. The German branch of the work being at that time in its infancy, the charges in the Northwest were all put into one Conference in order to facilitate the adjustment of charges and appointments of the ministers. At this Conference a Wisconsin District was formed, and REv. Conrad Eisenmayer was appointed the first presiding elder. At the same time Rev. Casper Jost was appointed the first pastor of the Milwaukee Mission and at the close of the year he reported forty members and twenty probationers."
During 1848 a brick church was built on Fifth street. It was 40x60 feet, and had a basement which was used as a parsonage. The cost of the structure was $5,000, and it was dedicated by Mr. Jost before the expiration of the year. In April, 1872, lots were purchased on the southeast corner of Chestnut and Eleventh streets, for which $2,800 were paid. The old church building was sold about the same time for $2,600. Work on the new church edifice was commenced as soon as possible after the purchase of the lots and under the energetic guidance of the pastor, Mr. Schnell, was carried forward as fast as circumstances would admit. The structure is of brick, 40x70 feet in size, with a basement and spire. The whole was enclosed and the lecture-room dedicated, December 1, 1872. The dedicatory services were conducted by the Presiding Elder, Rev. C. Schuler. The auditorium was finished during the following Summer and dedicated in the Fall. The building, inclusive of furnishing, cost in the neighborhood of $16,000. During the year 1874 Mr. Schnell was continued as the financial agent of the Church, the society being in charge of a local preacher. At the Conference of that year the REv. Peter Hinners was appointed as the pastor and continued until 1877. He was followed by the Rev. Frederick Rinder, who remained with the society until 1880, when he was appointed to the charge of the Second Methodist Church, his place at the First Church being filled by the Rev. Richard Fickenscher.
FIRST GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
Rev. Conrad Eisenmeyer - Presiding Elder at Organization - 1848 Rev. Casper Jost - 1848 Rev. Phillip Barth - 1849 Rev. William Schreck - 1851 Rev. Lewis Kunz - 1852 Rev. Jacob Haas - 1854 Rev. Frederick Schuler - 1856 Rev. Peter Hinners - 1858 Rev. C. A. Loeber - 1860 Rev . G. L. Mulfinger - (no dates provided) Rev. L. Schuler - 1864 Rev. F. Rinder - 1864 (Assistant Pastor) Rev. Richard Fickenscher - 1865 (Assistant Pastor) Rev. F. Copp - 1867 Rev. J. J. Keller - (no date given) Rev. John Schuell - 1870 Rev. C. P. Albert - 1872 (Assistant Pastor) Rev. Peter Hinners - 1874 (2nd Term) Rev. Frederick Rinder - 1877 (2nd Term but this time Pastor, not Assistant) Rev. Richard Fickenscher - 1880 (2nd Term)
SECOND GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
(Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 820)
This Church was an outgrowth of the First German M.E. Church, many members of that church having removed to the higher ground in the Sixth Ward, the expediency of a church movement in that direction was taken under advisement. In 1865 steps were taken to secure a site on Third street, between Harmon and Loyd. After much hard labor on the part of Mr. Schuler, at that time pastor of the First Church, the necessary funds were raised, and a brick building, thirty-six by sixty feet, with a fine spire, was commenced and completed in September of that year. The church dedicated September 17, 1865, by Bishop Baker; Rev. F. Kopp and Rev. Chas. Hollman assisting. The total cost of the building, with its furniture, was eight thousand dollars. Rev. Richard Fickenscher was the first pastor appointed, and remained in charge three years. During this period all the indebtness remaining on the church was paid off. He was followed in 1871, by Rev. Henry Wegner. During Mr. Wegner's first pastorate an extended revival added fifty members to the church. The present membership is about three hundred.
Rev. Richard Fickenscher - 1865 Rev. Henry Wegner - 1871 Rev. John Schnell - 1874 Rev. Richard Fickenscher - 1879 (2nd Term) Rev. Frederick Rinder - 1880
THIRD GERMAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
(Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 821)
The necessity for accommodating the members of this denomination who speak the German language, on the South Side, led, in 1872, to the establishment by the First German Methodist Church, of a mission in that part of the city. The first meetings were held in the Norwegian church, and then in a mission chapel, in that section of the South Side, known as the Kinnickinnic. Rev. John Schnell, at that time pastor of the First German Methodist Church, not being able to be present at the regular services, C.F. Allert, a local preacher, was sent to fill the pulpit.
In 1875, the former owners of the chapel which had served for some time as a place of worship for the new society, donated it to them, upon the provision that it should be moved to its present location. A lot was accordingly purchased, at the northeast corner of Railroad street and Fifth avenue, at a cost of $700 and the building moved upon it. A steeple was added, and the structure thoroughly repaired, at a cost of about $400, which, with the necessary rading to the lot, brought the local cost up to about $1,100.
The church was then named the "Third German Methodist church," and the Rev. Chas. Ewart was sent as the first minister to the mission, in the Fall of 1875. The mission was started under the care of the First and Second Methodist churches, and is still continued. During the same year, a comfortable and roomy parsonage was built on the lot in the rear of the church, at a cost of $700. Mr. Ewart remained in charge of the mission until the Fall of 1877, when he was succeeded by the Rev. John C. Rinder.
At the close of the second year of the society, the membership had increased to twenty-five. Mr. Rinder remained two years, when the Rev. S.F. Fritz, the present pastor, assumed charge. At the commencement of Mr. Fritz's pastorate, there was still remaining a debt of $700 upon the church property; but within the past year this has been lifted, and the society stands free and untrammeled. At the establishment of the mission, in 1875, a Sunday-school was started, having an attendance of between twenty-five and thirty children. This has maintained a steady growth, until, at the present time, it numbers about seventy-five pupils. The church membership has also increased steadily, and indicates a healthy feeling, there being forty-four members and five probationers now upon the chuch books.
Rev. C. F. Allert - local preacher Rev. Charles Ewart - 1875 Rev. John C. Rinder - 1877 Rev. Seraphin F. Fritz - 1879 Original Members: L. Lohman Sophia Lohman Frederick Allschwager Dorothea Allschwager Joachim Allschwager Sophia Schulz First Trustees Louis Lohman Frederick Kaul W. Manske Charles Frey 1881 Officers: Trustees: L. Lohman Fred Toepfer H. Quarte Christian Kassner Stewards: L. Lohman H. Quarte Frederick Koch
NORWEGIAN METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH
(Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 825)
During the summer of 1864 a Norwegian class was formed on the South Side and attached to the Ashbury Church. AT the next session of the West Wisconsin Conference Milwaukee was attached to the Racine charge and Rev. A. Haagenson placed over them. On the 25th of March, 1865, the society was organized by the new pastor. The use of the lecture room of the Ashbury church was granted to the society for use on the Sabbath afternoons and regular services were established. During the year the German Baptist, located on Walker street between Hanover and Greenbush was purchased at a cost of $800 for the building and lots.
In 1875 Milwaukee and Ashippun were united and Rev. C.O. Freider was placed in charge. The old church was now too small, and the erection of the new and larger one was undertaken. This edifice was commenced late in 1872 and by May 19, 1873, the lecture room was ready for dedication. The dedicatory services were conducted by the REv. A. Haagenson. This room was used for Sunday and other services until the Summer of 1880, when the auditorium of the church was finished at the cost of $700, making the total cost somewhere near $2,500. Of this amount all has been paid out of debt of $300 which still remains, though in such a shape as to offer no inconvenience to the congregation.
The society remains small and poor, owing to the constant change in the congregation the different members of which move away to the West, as soon as they are able and buy land where they engage in farming. The Norwegian Methodist preachers are laboring both to Christianize and Americanize the people, who are coming by thousands every year from Norway and Denmark to this country. The Norwegians religiously are Lutherans both by birth and education but very many turn to the Methodist faith after arriving in this country. In connection with his city parish Mr. Smith has under a care a station at North Cape, where he preaches occasionally.
Pastors: Rev. A. Haagenson-1864 Rev. N. Christopherson-1868-1870 Rev. C.O. Frieder-1875 Rev. A. Haagenson (filled dual position of Pastor and presiding Elder of District) Rev. J.H. Johnson until 1878 Rev. O.P. Peterson took charge of church and district
FRIEDENS EVANGELICAL CHURCH
From Souvenier book "Golden Jubilee Seminar", Friedens Evangelical Church, 1921 (submitted by researcher/see contributers page) First Evangelical Association Mission Milwaukee 1840, Rev. John Lutz, James Martin, Granville, Mr. Lowry, Rev Stroh, Christian Lintner, Rev S. Baumgartner(1843), Rev Matthais Hauert, Rev Andrew Nicholai Rev JG Miller, Mr. Gepfel, Rev Nicholas Gehr, Rev Rev T.J. Escher(1848), CA Schnake, Christian Hall(1850) 1850 Wisconsin Conference branched off from Illinois Conference Rev I. Kuter, Rev H. Huelster(Zion) Walker's Point Mission Rev CA Schnake, PE Henry Huelster, Peter Massueger and Fred Huelster Rev Umbreit, 21st and Cherry (1881) 1867 Salem Congregation 1888 Rev Uphoff succeeds Rev J.L. Runkel N. Milwaukee Mission, Ring and Green Bay Rd, Rev A. Kammerer(1871) Bethel Congregation Layton Park, Rev CW Schlueter History of Friedens Congregation, arose from N. Milwaukee Mission (Goes into some detail about Ring and Green Bay Road area) 1873 Rev. Yokel. Others John Grootemaat, Jacob Krauss, Carlona Krauss, Helmuth Lichtfeld, William Schreiber, George Ische, Mary Ische, 1877 Rev Aug Haas, Rev T. Umbreit 1883 Rev T. Aug. Heinhaus, Rev JM Hammetter, 1894 Rev Fred Homuth, 1903 Rev Leo F. Emmert 1907 1922 Rev M. Guerke Rev G. Freiderich 1917 Rev LW Schlueter 1921 Rev CH Kolander Friedens 3 pages on history of Williamsburg, including Grootemaat Mill, Carolina Wittmacher, First Daughter Williamsburg