Milwaukee County Churches
1857-1858 Churches and Pastors
PROTESTANT EPISCOPAL St. Paul's Church - Corner Mason and Jefferson Streets Rector: Rev. J. C. Richmond Wardens: Cyrus Hawley, H.H. Camp Vestrymen: D. Ferguson, L. Sexton, R. H. Strong, E.H. Goodrich, Thos. L. Ogden Services: Sundays 10:30 a.m. and 7 p.m. St. James' Church- Spring Street Hill Rector: Rev. J.P. T. Ingraham, B.D. Wardens: J.B. Selby, Jr., J.H. Hoes Vestrymen: C. Comstock, A. Mitchell, James Kneeland N.B. Caswell, D.L. Deyo Services: Sundays, at 10:30 A.M. and 7:30 P.M. Sunday School, 2 P.M., Bible Class 3:30 p.m. Communicants, 100 St. John's Church- Corner Hanover and Pierce Streets Rector: Rev. David Keene Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 3, P.M. City Missions- The Board of Missions for the City of Milwaukee consists of the Bishop, the resident Rectors, and the Wardens of the City Parishes. Visitors for 1857: Rt. Rev. J. Kemper, D.D. President Ex. Officio Rev. J.P.T. Ingraham, B.D. Vice President Rev. D. Keene, B.D. Rev. J.C. Richmond. Wardens-St. Paul's Church, Cyras Hawley, H.H. Camp St. James' Church, J.B. Selby Jr., M.D., J.H. Hoes St. John's Church, C.A. Place, W.H. Cross Treasurer and Secretary, J.B. Selby, Jr. City Missionaries- English-Rev. H.M. Thompson, residence Van Buren Street, below Michigan German-Rev. S.B. M. Pedelupe, residence West Water and Tamarack Streets PRESBYTERIAN First Presbyterian Church Corner Mason and Milwaukee Streets Pastor: Rev. S. Granby Spees Elders: S. C. West, Anthony Green, Moses Kneeland, J.D. Lawrence, Jonathan Ford, J.A. Hall Trustees: Geo. Dousman, D. Post, J.N. Bonesteel, Levi H. Kellogg, S.C. West, Geo. Tracy, Anthony Green, Moses Kneeland, H. Curtis Deacons: Harris H. West, I.N. Mason, John J. Fairbanks Services: Sundays at 10:30 A.M. and 7:30 P.M. and at 7:30 P.M. on Wednesday evening Sabbath School: 2:45 P.M. Jonathan Ford, Superintendent Geo Tracy, Assistant Supt Teachers, 37 Scholars, 278 The Church numbers about 275 members North Presbyterian Church Corner Milwaukee and Martin Streets Pastor: Rev. John M. Buchanan The North Presbyterian Church was organized Jan. 5th, 1849. The present church edifice was erected 1855. Sabbath Services: 10:30 A.M. and 3 P.M. Weekly Lecture: Wednesday at 7:30 P.M. Sabbath Schools: meets every Sabbath morning at 9 o'clock, the other at 12 o'clock,M. The latter in the Lecture Room of the Church, the former, corner of West Water and Chestnut Streets Trustees: S. Chapman, Geo. W. Allen, W. H. Watson, Chas. T. Bradley, John Nazro, W.S. Candee, W.R. Freeman, R.N. Austin, T.W. Goodrich South Presbyterian Church- Hanover Street, near Park, 5th Ward Pastor: Rev. John Kidd Elders: Oliver Parsons, James Burton, _____ Ladd. Trustees: Oliver Parsons, George H. Greene, Stoddard H. Martin, James Burton, ______ Crandall Services: Sunday at 10:30 A.M. and 7:30 P.m. and at 7:30 Wed evenings Sabbath School meets at 2 P.M. James Burton Superintendent Teachers, 6 Scholars, 50 Church numbers about 40 members CONGREGATIONAL: The Plymouth Congregational Church Organized on the 20th day of May, A.D. 1841 At its organization it numbered nine male and fifteen female members; present number 300. On the 29th day of June, of the same year, a call was extended to the Rev. J.J. Miter to become its pastor. He commenced his labors on the 7th day of November following, and was installed, by the Milwaukee District Convention, January 4, A.D. 1844. He was dismissed may 8th, 1856, and a call extended to Rev. Z.N. Humphrey, who was installed October 5th, in the same year The present house of worship was dedicated May 24th, A.D. 1851. It is situated on the corner of Milwaukee and Oneida Streets. Dimensions 100 by 56 feet; number of slips 150. Salary of Pastor, $2500. Officers of the Church and Society Deacons: Eliphalet Cramer, Jonas Whitney, Wm. J. Whaling, Nathan G. Storrs Trustees: Howard Bosworth, Pres't Lansing Bonnell, Alfred K. Williams, John M. Durand. Abram Whittemore, Treasurer I.G. Goodrich, Stated Clerk Spring Street Congregational Church House now being erected, near corner of Spring and Sixth Streets
The First Baptist Church of Milwaukee Organized on the 19th day of November, 1836. This was effected through the instrumentality of Rev. R. Griffin, who was chosen their first Pastor. Mr. D.S. Hollister was elected their first Deacon. These officers having been chosen, the body was thus, according to the views of ecclesiastical polity entertained by the Baptist denomination, a church in the order of the New Testament. They met for stated worship, in the second story of a frame building, which stood on the site of the present hardware store, No. 153 East Water street, at that period occupied as a drug store, by Messrs. Higby & Co.
For some time preceding the latter part of December, 1838, the church was destitute of a pastor, when the Rev. E. Mathews, of New York, took charge of the congregation, and labored among them a portion of the time until September, 1840.
In consequence of some of the members of the church becoming utterly discouraged, and of others entertaining a desire to establish a church in the township of Greenfield, where they resided, the church was disbanded on the 1st day of May, 1841. In the year following, however, the Board of the Home Missionary Society sent the Rev. Peter Conrad as their Missionary to this place. He succeeded in again organizing a church of 15 members, on February 19th, 1842. This new body held their fist meetings in the School House on Elizabeth, near Reed street, 5th Ward; afterwards in an old Warehouse on Walker's Point, and subsequently in an old School House, on West Water street, near Oneida street Bridge. In November, 1843, Mr. Conrad was compelled, by ill health, to leave this place, and from that period, until the 1st of November, 1844, the church was without a settled pastor. During the interval, it was sustained by the earnest self-denying efforts of a few members, who struggled onward, without the stated ministry of the word, until the last mentioned date, when they succeeded in securing the services of the Rev. Lewis Raymond, of Cooperstown, N.Y. He commenced his labors as pastor of the church with 58 members, many of whom resided in the country. They met for worship in Rogers' Block, on the corner of West Water and Spring streets, until their present church was finished.
Since Mr. Raymond dissolved his connection with the church, they have had four stated pastors; Rev. T.S. Griffith, Rev. R. A. Fyfe, Rev. S. A. Kingsbury, and their present pastor, the Rev. J. Pyper, D.D., who commenced his labors among them, in the beginning of May, of the present year; and although the church has been somewhat lessened in numbers by the formation of a new interest in the 4th Ward, still they never stood in a more hopeful condition than they do at present, being thoroughly united in the bonds of peace, and feel assured that God has guided them in the selection of another pastor.
The church stands on the South East corner of Wisconsin and Milwaukee streets. This edifice is a strong frame building, 72 feet in length, 44 in width, and has a brick basement, which is ten feet high, extending under the whole of the building. This lower story is divided into a lecture room and school room, both of which are neatly finished, while the upper part of the house is characterized by a happy blending together of the useful and the ornamental. The whole reflects much credit upon the liberal spirit of the congregation.
The present officers are: Pastor: Rev. James Pyper, D.D. Deacons: William H. Byron, G.P. Hewitt Trustees: Thompson Littell, W.B. Alvord, W.H. Byron, John Lockwood, Allen Johnson, G.P. Hewitt Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 7:30 P.M. Second Baptist Church Concert Hall Pastor: Rev. W.W. Moore Clerk: C.P. Leland Business Committee: H.R. Bond, John Bailie, John Bishop, James Emery, G.W. Colgate Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. 7:30 P.M. Sabbath School: 2 P.M. UNITARIAN Church of the Redeemer Cass Street, between Martin and Division Pastor: Rev. N.A. Staples Services: Sundays, 10:30 A.M. and 3 P.M. METHODIST EPISCOPAL Spring Street Methodist Episcopal Church Corner Spring and Second Streets Pastor: Rev. C.S. Macreading Trustees: J.H. Van Dyke, James Seville, Henry Seiler, Cornelius Morse Sexton: Cornelius Morse Committee on Pews, James Seville, Cornelius Morse, J.B. Judson Number of Members: 150 Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 7 P.M.
Summerfield Methodist Episcopal Church
This church is situated on the North West corner of Biddle and Van Buren Streets. In the fall of 1852, a few of the members of the Spring Street Station, aided and encouraged by their preacher, Rev. Samuel C. Thomas, conceived the idea of organizing a Society on the East side of the Milwaukee River, as a nucleus, around which a congregation might ultimately cluster, in that beautiful and eligible part of the City, and with that view, bought a lot from Wm. H. Byron, Esq., on Jackson Street, between Biddle and Martin, for $1, 150, and purchased the Old Universalist Church, which stood on the corner of Main and Michigan Sts., and put it on this lot. A society was organized in accordance with the discipline of the M.E. Church, under the name and style of the "Jackson Street Station," and the Rev. I.M.S. Maxon, filled the pulpit until the meeting of the Annual Conference in 1853, which conference appointed Rev. Jabez Brooks, as the Preacher in charge. In 1855, Rev. S.C. Thomas was appointed by conference, to this charge; in the meanwhile, the old Spring Street Church was destroyed by fire, the land sold, and the sum of $4,000 generously donated to this charge, toward building a new church.
The Society, encouraged by this act of generosity, on the part of their brethren, determined, not withstanding the smallness of their membership, and their limited means, to enter upon the work of building a new Church and Parsonage. They bought a lot of Samuel A. Field, Esq., on the corner of Biddle and Van Buren Sts., for $5,500 and contracted for the building of the Church and Parsonage that now adorns that location. John Roberts is the contractor for the mason work, and George Southwell, Jr., for the carpenter work and painting. On removing from Jackson St. to the new house, the name of the organization was changed to "Summerfield M.E. Church," in honor of the brightest Lights that has adorned the religious world in the present century.
The Church and Parsonage are built of brick, with stone foundation, stone caps and sills, and slate roof. The Church is 54 by 95 feet, with a basement 12 feet high, entirely above ground, containing a lecture room, a furnace and class-rooms, study and vestibule, with a stairway at each end of the vestibule, to land in a vestibule on the main floor, which opens into an audience room, 50 by 75 feet, which will be seated in modern style and carpeted, and seats upholstered uniformly throughout.
It has a gallery at the east and over the vestibule, and will have a steeple about 50 feet high.
The parsonage is built to the west end of the Church, fronting on Biddle Street; it is 24 by 32 feet, is set back ten feet, with a veranda, from which a door opens into the study; it is three stories high, with a basement, and furnished in modern style.
The health of the Rev. S.C. Thomas having failed, he was obligated to resign his pastorial (sic) relations in the spring of 1857, and the Rev. H.C. Tilton, of the East Maine Conference, was appointed in his place. The upper part of the Church is yet unfinished, but it is expected that it will be ready for dedication before the sitting of Conference, in August.
The Church and Parsonage, when finished, exclusive of the lot and upholstering, will cost about $20,000. It has a membership of about sixty.
The board of Trustees are; George F. Austin, M. Steever, R.P. Elmore, Anthony Duville, George W. Lakin, Edward Emery, W.A. Chapman, Joseph F. McMullen Building Committee: Rev. S.C. Thomas, Geo. F. Austin, M. Steever Services: Sunday 10:30 A.M. and 7 P.M. Asbury Methodist Episcopal Church Fifth Ward Rev. Jacob Miller, Pastor ROMAN CATHOLIC St. John's Cathedral Jackson Street, between Oneida and Biddle Rt Rev. J.M. Henni, D.D., Bishop of Milwaukee Rev. G.T. Riordan and Rev. P.J. Donohue, Assistants Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 3 P.M. St. Mary's Church Corner Main and Biddle Streets Rev. Dr. F. Paulhuber Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 3 P.M. St. Gaul's Church Corner Second and Sycamore Streets Rev. F. X. DeCoen and Rev. D. Kenny Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 3 P.M. Holy Trinity Church S.W. corner Greenbush and Park Streets Rev. Joseph Sadler Services Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 3 P.M. St. Joseph's Church Corner Cherry and Eleventh Streets Rev. Joseph H. Holzhauser Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 3 P.M. St. Peter's Church Martin Street between Jackson and Jefferson In the following Churches, the Services are in Foreign Languages Evangelical Lutheran Corner Main and Division Streets Rev. John Mulbauser Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 2 P.M. Old Lutheran Church of the Augsburg Confession corner Fifth and Wells Streets Rev. Frederick Lochner First Lutheran Church Corner Tamarack and Fifth Streets Rev. Gottlieb Kluegel St. Stephen's Church Corner Hanover and Elizabeth Rev. Philip Fleischmann St. Paul's German Evangelical Church Fifth Street between Tamarack and Prairie Rev. John Jacob Meissner St. Johanne's Lutheran Church Corner Fourth and Prairie Streets Reformed Lutheran Church Fourth Street between Cherry and Vliet Rev. Asmus Diedrichsen Zion's Church corner Fourth and Cedar Streets Scandinavian Church (Norwegian) corner Reed and Scott Streets Rev. Andrew Scheie Services: Sundays 10 A.M. German Methodist Church Fifth Street, between Tamarack and Prairie Rev. Frederick Schuller German Baptist Church Fourth Street, between Cedar and Wells Rev. Theodor Ulbricht Services Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 3 P.M. Holland Presbyterian Church Cherry Street, between Ninth and Tenth Rev. S. Bolks Services Sundays 9:30 A.M. and 2 and 7 P.M. First Welch Calvinistic Methodist Church Corner Michigan and Van Buren Streets Rev. R. Williams Services: Sundays 10:30 A.M. and 7 P.M. SYNAGOGUES Jewish Synagogue Fourth Street, between Tamarack and Prairie Jewish Synagogue River Street, between Division and Knapp HARMONIAL PHILOSOPHY Spiritualists Hold meetings at Treat's Hall Sundays at 2:30 and 7 P.M. at which Public Lectures are frequently given.