>Milwaukee County Literary Organizations
The Curran Literary Society
From: The History of Milwaukee The Western Historical Company, Chicago A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881
During the Winter of 1866-67, a member of young ladies and gentleman, prominent among whom were Messrs. P. Donnelly, J.E. Fitzgerald, James C. Pollard, Patrick Tyrrell, John Johnson, Wm. Croke, and Misses Ellen Lynch, Jennie Murphy, Anna Davlin, and Kittie Davlin, associated themselves together as an amateur dramatic society. After existing for a time as a dramatic club, it was decided to form a literary and musical society. It was named "East Side Literary Society." P. Donnelly was elected the first President. AT the end of Mr. Donnelly's term, John E. Fitzgerald was elected, and during his term it was found necessary to remove to better quarters. St. Gall's Hall was secured, and the name of the Association changed to the "West Side Literary Society." James Pollard was elected the third President of the society, and after his term had expired, P. Donnelly was elected as fourth President, and re-elected at the expiration of his term. The society moved from St. GAll's to St. Peter's church, and finally to Sivyer's Hall. The name was then changed to the Curran Literary Society," by which name it was known for several years. The society maintained an enviable reputation for about eight years. Richard Burke, Thos G. Shaughnessy, Martin Larkin, and John McDonald served as presidents of the Curran Literary Society. A weekly gossiping manuscript paper, called The Tatler, was started and conducted for more than a year. During the last year of the society's existence, meetings were held at Curry's Hall, corner of Grand avenue and Second street. The society is not now in existence.