Biographies and Family Information

Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, Baptisms

To facilitate your search the surnames have been cross indexed.
[ A ] [ B ] [ Be ] [ Bi ]
[ Bo ] [ Br ] [ Bu ] [ C ]
[ D ] [ E ] [ F ] [ G ]
[ H ] [ I ] [ J ] [ K ]
[ L ] [ M ] [ N ] [ O ]
[ P ] [ Q ] [ R ] [ S ]
[ T ] [ U ] [ V ] [ W ]
[ Y ] [ Z ] - -


Vernice Gallimore, 85, who in 1946 became the first African-American policewoman to serve with the Milwaukee Police Department. She was not allowed to return to her duties with its Youth Aid Bureau after the birth of her first child in 1955. She went on to a second career as a probation officer-social worker with Children's Court. She died Aug. 14 after a severe stroke.



Strange incidents connected with the murder of Dr. Garner, once a well-known Milwaukee physician--an unique example of a spiritual foreboding

Written for the Free Press

The conversation had turned, as it often will, when the small hours of the night are creeping on space, to a discussion of the uncanny and supernatural.

Each member of the small group of men seated about the table in the rear of the bar-room had his pet tale to tell, and told it with that mixture of belief and credulity that usually accompanies such narrations.

Some of these tales had to do with forebodings and warnings such as occasionally presage a death or some grave experience, and it was while the talk rambled pro and con on the nature of clairvoyance, that an old newspaper man, who had not spoken heretofore, ventured his experience.

"We had an instance of just that sort of thing right here in Milwaukee once," he began slowly, and then paused to send a huge cloud of cigar smoke among the garish gas flames overhead. "I haven't thought of it for years, but our conversation here tonight brings the facts in the case back to mind as vividly as when my attention was called to them nearly thirty years ago. Have you ever heard of the murder of Dr. Garner?"

Half a dozen heads shook "no" in unison, although one, that of a young Milwaukeean, wagged somewhat dubiously.

"Wait a minute," he said, " I have a dim recollection of a man by that name being shot and poisoned when I was a youngster. It must have been in the latter '70's."

"Right," said the old reporter. "It happened on the evening of March 2, 1876, and no one has occasion to remember it better than I, because that murder was one of my first important assignments. But it's not so much the murder that I'm going to tell of--although God knows that was strange and weird enough--but the pecular actions of the victim before it was perpetrated.


"Dr. John E. Garner was one of the city's leading and most popular physicians. Both personally and professionally he was held in the highest esteem. His second wife came from one of Milwaukee's most prominent families. No one knew, he least of all, that he had an enemy on earth.

"On the evening of March 2, 186, he was with his family, at his home, 464 Jefferson street. At supper it was noticed that he was exceedingly restless and disturbed, but this was attributed to the illness of his oldest daughter, who was quite sick, indeed. He complained of having begun to feel very uneasy about the middle of the afternoon.

"After the meal, the doctor and his brother-in-law, Joseph T. Hill, repaired to the library, various members of the household going in and out at times. Responding to the comfort and good cheer of the room, he now tried to shake off his oppression, and talked volubly but with evidently forced interest. It was apparent to all that he was laboring under a sombre excitement that was momentarily increasing.

"About 8:30 he arose and walked up and down nervously. "I can't account for this." he said. "I never had such a feeling in all my life. I feel as if something were closing in on me, trying to crush me." And then he laughed, "If a patient came to me with a story like that I should give him a tonic and tell him to take a rest," he said with assumed gaiety. "I suppose it's about time I prescribed for myself."


"A little before 9, Mr. Hill left the house, only a minute later the door-bell rang sharply. One of the children when to answer it. "There's a lady at the door to see you, Papa," said the little girl coming back to the library.

"Dr. Garner rose quickly and went out into the hall. Those within heard a brief murmur of voices. Then a revolver shot rang through the quiet of the spring evening. A piercing cry followed--"My God I'm shot." It was the doctor's voice. Then there came a heavy thud.

"Hurrying to the door-way the family was horror-stricken to see the husband and father lying just inside the door sill. By the flickery light of the hall lamp, they saw a ghastly face and a blood stain, ever increasing, on the white vest, right above the heart.

"Through the doorway, they saw a rig dashing madly down the street attended by the shouts and cries of pedestrians. A moment more and Mr. Hill came bounding up the steps. The woman had passed him on the walk, and asked him whether the doctor was at home. About fifty feet away when the shot sounded, he had rushed back to hear her say: "He killed my husband, my brother, my cousin and my uncle. Now I've killed him and I'm glad of it."

"The wounded man was carried into the house, where he expired the next day shortly before noon. He had recognized his assailant as one of his former patients, Mrs. A.J. Wilner, who a year or so before had been a resident of Milwaukee. He identified her before his death.


"But the murder as such isn't the interesting thing to me. What has ever remained a puzzle and a matter of grave conjecture is the peculiar psychic disturbance which possessed the doctor, while his murderer was on her way to fulfill her mission. You see, the woman had come all the way from Ashtabula, Ohio, that day, to commit the deed. She had arrived in Milwaukee at the Northwestern depot at 8:25, the very time when the doctor's vague fears seemed most pronounced, and when he made the remarkable statement I have mentioned.

"It is absolutely certain that he had no warning of her coming; according to his dying statement he knew nothing of her murderous hatred toward him. The woman was afflicted with the persecution mania and believed the physicians of the city to be in league against her to torture her. In fact, Dr. Garner was but one of a number of intended victims of her wrath. A jury afterward held her insane and committed her to an asylum.

"Now, who will tell me by what subtle means the sense of impending doom was conveyed to Dr. Garner on that early March day, what spiritual agency was operative to carry this summons of fate to one who was in blissful ignorance of both its nature or the messenger?"

The old newspaper man paused, and for a time there was no answer to his query. Then came all manner of suggestions; some spoke wisely of telepathy, others hinted of clairvoyance, but all finally united in a demand for a complete narration of the shocking crime. And so, when the amber fluid had once more foamed in the ample glasses, did the veteran relate the story of Dr. Garner's murder, a twice-told tale to all old citizens, but quite strange and new to the younger generation.


Few crimes in the history of Milwaukee aroused the citizenship more than this one. The regard felt for the well-known physician and his family, the mysterious motive and the dramatic incidents connected with the crime, the division of opinion as to the responsibility of the criminal, the exciting trials in which the affair consummated, all stirred up the greatest amount of popular feeling.

Mrs. Sarah Josephine Wilner was the widow of Abraham Wilner and an unusually attractive and prepossessing woman of about forty-two. Her husband, a well known tailor, had died about three years before she committed the crime, and she had also lost both her children before that sad event. These terrible losses and their attendant experiences are believed to have been responsible for undermining her reason.

As was brought out in her trial, her hallucination consisted in the belief that she was being constantly afflicted with "medical odors," which were being projected toward her by a league of Milwaukee physicians, whose object was her ruin. To escape this persecution she left Milwaukee a few months after her husband's death, returning to her birthplace, Geneva, O. But the odors followed her there, and she moved from one relative to another without finding relief. Finally she went abroad, but even with the ocean between, she believed that the baleful acts of her enemies were still operative.


In its later stages this mania went even further, until the unfortunate woman held various Milwaukee physicians responsible for the death of her relatives, her enmity finally centering in Dr. Garner, who had been her physician most frequently. Once, however, she threatened the life of Dr. D.T. Brown, while still in the city, and that she had cherished her plan of revenge against Dr. Garner for some time was brought out at the trial by various witnesses from her Ohio home.

The experience of the hack-driver, who served Mrs. Wilner on that fatal night was a terrible one. The unfortunate man was almost prostrated by the nerve-wracking experience, and was ill for weeks.

Mathias Steinweiss by name, he was a driver for the livery firm of Thomas and Sivyer, and on the evening of March 2 made the 8:25 Northwestern train as usual. When a lady, who had come in on that train, asked him to get her trunk and drive direct to Dr. Garner's, he naturally suspected nothing. Arriving at 464 Jefferson street, his fare left the carriage and meeting a man coming down the steps, asked him whether the doctor was at home. Receiving an affirmative reply, she slowly mounted the steps and rang the bell.

How the deed was committed has already been told. As soon as the shot had been fired, the woman descended the steps, and Steinweiss saw the gleaming revolver in her hand. Then she addressed to him the words heard by Mr. Hill, and ordered him to drive to the Newhall house at once.


Steinweiss said that he was so stunned by the whole affair that he obeyed without questioning, and when he heard shouts to stop he called out his destination and drove on furiously. His route lay along Mason and Milwaukee streets, and when he reached Wisconsin, his charge called to him to drive to the law office of Finches & Lynde, in the Miller building. Here he stopped and the woman went upstairs. Returning almost immediately, she again named the Newhall house, but arriving there, where the New Insurance, building now stands, she changed her mind, and asked to be taken to Dr. Spearman's.

By this time the driver was so rattled that he could not remember the doctor's address, but he drove bravely down Michigan street and turned north on East water. But at Wisconsin street his fare changed her mind once more and asked to be taken to the hotel.

Here she registered under her real name, was assigned to a room, and ordered and ate supper as if nothing had happened. She even had her room changed because the first one given her was on the inside. Not until he was safely rid of his dangerous patron did Steinweiss summon up courage to tell of his experience. But others were already on the trail as well, and soon Detectives O'Connor and Smith and Lieut. Shaughnessy were on the spot.


They went to Mrs. Wilner's room, where she received them without any disturbance, admitting that she had done the deed. It was with some reluctance, however, that she gave up the revolver, a small 5-ball Wesson & Harrington, which she claimed she needed for her protection.

The officers immediately took her to Dr. Garner's house, where the dying man identified her. When he reproached her for her act, she talked incoherently, saying that she had gone to Europe to escape his persecution, that he had killed her husband and children and the like. Then she was taken to the police station.

Mrs. Wilner's trial, which came up in May, was a long and hotly contested legal and medical battle, which engendered much bitter feeling. Opinion as to the prisoner's sanity or insanity was almost equally divided. The jury, after being out fifty-eight hours, finally found her guilty.

Much indignation was expressed at the verdict. One of the jurors expressed himself to the effect that the case had not been tried on its merits, and the belief was widely current that something had been kept out of sight. Motion was immediately made for a new trial, and sentence was suspended until the decision of the supreme court could be learned. This court reversed the verdict, and a new trial was ordered. When the case came up again, the counsel for the case came up again, the counsel for the defense asked that the prisoner be sent to Oshkosh.

As a commission of physicians had previously declared the woman insane, this requested was granted, and Mrs. Wilner was an inmate of the asylum at that place until the completion of the county hospital at Wauwatosa, when she was transferred to that institution.




Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Robert C. Gehrke, a member of the well known German-American family of that name, and a prominent and successful carpenter contractor, living at 725 Island avenue, Milwaukee, was born at 152 Lloyd street, Milwaukee, July 5, 1870, the son of Frederick and Maria (Rapp) Gehrke, the former a native of the province of Posen, Germany, and the latter a native of Baden, Germany. His paternal grandparents were Carl and Henrietta (Tischler) Gehrke, of the province of Posen, Germany. His grandfather was a cabinetmaker by trade in the Fatherland, and in the year 1857, accompanied by his wife and their three children, started for America on one of the slow sailing vessels, and were fifty-six days en route. Upon finally landing at New York harbor, they came directly west to Milwaukee, where Mr. Gehrke resumed his trade of cabinet maker, and was also later associated with his son, Frederick, in his carpenter contracting work. He died in the city of Milwaukee in 1879, and was survived by his wife until Jan. 15, 1900.

Of their three children, Frederick, the second child, born Feb. 28, 1843, alone survives ; Mollie, who married Wm. Groskreutz, and Johanna, wife of Fred Kanitz, are both deceased, as is Mr. Groskreutz. Frederick, our subject's father, was given only a limited opportunity to obtain an education before starting out in the world to make his own livelihood. He early learned the trade of a cabinet maker under his father's instruction, and in 1864, when he was 21 years of age, he went to Nashville, Tenn., where he was employed as a carpenter in the service of the United States government. After working there for a few months he was seized with a severe fever and was compelled to abandon his employment. He returned North to his home in Milwaukee, and resumed his occupation as a cabinet maker until 1867. In the latter year he made an extended trip to Europe, visited his old home, and journeyed through many parts of the old world.

After his marriage in May, 1868, he was employed for a year by the old Mississippi railroad at Milwaukee, and in the year 1871 he embarked in business on his own account. He started a store and saloon at No. 152 Lloyd street, Milwaukee, which he conducted with profit up to the time of his death, Jan. 5, 1907. In addition to his other business interests Mr. Gehrke handled a considerable amount of real estate, and made quite a number of lucrative investments in that line. In politics he was an adherent of the Democratic party, to whose success he contributed in many ways, though he never sought office for himself. He was a faithful member of the Lutheran church all of his life. He reared a large family of nine children, of whom Robert C, the subject of this sketch, was the eldest. The other children are Emma, wife of Ewald Schmitz, residing in Eschweiler, Rheinland ; Augusta, wife of August Rother, of the Standard Bottling Co., Milwaukee ; Minnie, wife of William Schocknecht, of Milwaukee ; Emily, wife of Theo. Biedermann, of Milwaukee ; Willie, living at home ; Paul, married to Caroline Metzler and living in Milwaukee ; Otto, a fireman for the C, M. & St. Paul railway, residing at Milwaukee, and Alfred, living at home.

Our subject was educated in the public schools of Milwaukee, and later attended a business college for a year. Upon leaving school he learned the carpenter's trade, and has since followed that occupation, also doing a general contracting business, and dealing in real estate to some extent. His business prospered and grew in volume from year to year, and in 1904 he went abroad, visited the home of his forefathers, and most of the countries of Europe. Politically he is a member of the Democratic party, but has never held public office. He is an unmarried man, and resides with his widowed mother at the home, 725 Island avenue.



Ronald F. Geiman, 52, founder and editor of In Step magazine, which long served the local gay and lesbian community. "The more people realize they know someone who's gay, the better off we're going to be and the faster," he once said. "And it's true. It's just what's happened." Geiman died May 11 of complications from AIDS.



one fo the best-known and most useful citizens of his years and occupation, was born in the town of Granville, Milwaukee county, Sept. 5, 1875, son of John and Barbara Gengler. The parents were natives of Germany, who immigrated to America, the land of promise to so many sturdy sons of the "Vaterland", and they located in Milwaukee count at an early day, where they carved a farm from the wilderness and established a home. There their children were born and reared in a home supplied by generous hand of nature. Lawrence, the subject of this sketch, was reared to manhood on his father's farm and obtained the rudiments of a practical education in the schools of his native town. Subsequently he attended Milwaukee College, where he finished a course with great credit. After leaving college in engaged in farming, in which vocation he has since continued. Mr. Gengler has met with the success in his chosen life-work, due to this untiring energy, attention to details of his farm, and his up-to-date methods, which have brought him twofold profits. On Nov. 8, 1900, Mr. Gengler was united in marriage with an estimable young lady and four children have been born to bless this union: Arthur, Rhea, Lydia, and Sedonia, who all lead happy, care-free lives on their father's farm. Mr. Gengler is a stanch adherent of the Democratic party and always takes an active interest in politics. Both he and his wife are devout Catholics, and members of that church.

Source: Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg. 865 Vol. 2



is the proprietor of one of the most widely known undertaking establishments in the city of Milwaukee. He became his father's partner in that business over twenty years ago and has ever since been successfully engaged in the same business, now being the senior partner of the firm of Gerber& Son, funeral directors and embalmer. His father, August Gerber, was one of Milwaukee's German pioneers, and in the early days of the city owned and operated a soap factory. This factory he sold and in 1883 engaged in the livery business on Eleventh Street, in connection with which he practiced undertaking and embalming. He married Miss Marie Grether, a native of Switzerland, and he is now living retired in La Salle, Ill., where his faithful wife died in 1906. Charles Gerber their son, was born in Milwaukee, Sept. 11, 1862, attended the public schools in his native city, and by the time he had finished his education found his services much needed in the rapidly growing business of his father. In 1885 August Gerber had built the substantial brick barn at 347-349 Eleventh Street and at that time took Charles into partnership under the firm name of August Gerber and Son. . In 1888 the senior member of the firm retired from active participation and the firm became Best & Gerber. As such it continued in successful operation until 1891, when Mr. Gerber withdrew. In 1893 he engaged in business once more for himself, later was joined by his son Arthur C., and the firm is once more Gerber & Son. Charles Gerber has given much time and attention to the preparation of embalming fluids and has succeeded in improving the manufacture of these to a considerable degree. The fluid originated and manufactured by himself has a large sale and is considered one of the most satisfactory preparations yet devised. Since 1904 the fluid has been in general use. At the present time the firm is planning to move into a very commodious new building at the corner of Chestnut and Thirteenth Streets. In the new establishment every device which can assist in making it complete and up to date in every respect will be installed. The new building will contain a suite of rooms, each devoted to its particular requirement for the necessities of the trade, and Mr. Gerber expects to have the equipment complete in every respect. It is the intention of Mr. Gerber to have as fine an establishment as any in the state. The dimensions of the building will be forty-eight by seventy-eight feet. On May 19, 1886, Mr. Gerber was married to Miss Ida L. Wilde, of New Berlin, Waukesha County, daughter of August Wilde. One son has blessed the marriage, Arthur C., who is at present associated in business with his father. Mr. Gerber is a member of the Evangelical Freiden's Church, of the Knights of Columbus, of the Modern Woodmen of America, and the Knights of Pythias, He is not affiliated with any political party, although he takes an active interest in the affairs of the community and the larger political questions of the day.

Source: Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909, pg. 469 Vol. 2



Obert I. Germanson, 88, a tool and die worker whose accordion playing helped inspire the Allen-Bradley Orchestra and Chorus during World War II. Germanson began performing with trombonist Anthony J. Werth on lunch breaks. The combo grew to include all kinds of other company performers, who took their show on the road and kept performing until 1982. Germanson died of congestive heart failure Feb. 16.



STEPHEN GESELL, president of the Campbell Laundry Company, is a native of Dusseldorf, Germany, where he was born on Feb. 6, 1872. He is a son of Anton and Elizabeth (Seitz) Gesell, both native Germans. The father was a broker for some years in his native land, and later managed a hotel. Of the sixteen children in the family, Jacob, Paul and Stephen came to the United States. The father died in 1885 and the mother in 1902. Stephen Gesell received his scholastic advantages in the Fatherland. When but fourteen years of age he left school and under the direction of his brother-in-law learned the trade of butcher. The desire for reading was almost a mania with him and after absorbing the contents of all the books he could get on the subject of America he became instilled with the idea of coming to the United States. In 1891 he was enabled to fulfill his life's desire, and he immigrated direct to Milwaukee. Here he secured employment in the Thiele Meat market on Third street, and for a period of ten years was engrossed in his trade. Seeing a chance for advancement he accepted a position as driver for the Campbell Laundry Company, and gradually, by enterprise and industry, was promoted to positions of responsibility until at the time of Mr. Campbell's death he was given entire charge of the concern. In 1907 he purchased a half interest, and by 1908 the business had prospered to such an extent that he was enabled to purchase of the stock, until now he is the sole owner and president. He is a man of progressive public spirit and does all in his power for the betterment and advancement of the city along commercial lines. Although a Republican he does not participate actively in the campaigns, being too engrossed to devote his time to anything but his business. He is a communicant of the German Catholic church. His only social relations are with the Independent Order of Foresters and the Laundrymen't Club. On April 29, 1896, Mr. Gesell was united in marriage to Miss Augusta Steffen, a daughter of William and Augusta (Brach) Steffen, of Waukesha. They have no children.

Memoirs of Milwaukee County by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg. 279



GEORGE GEUDER was born in Milwaukee on Jan. 20, 1877, the son of William and Emma (Paeschke) Geuder, both of whom were born in Milwaukee. The father was one of the founders of the Geuder-Paeschke manufacturing Company, being president of the company for some time and he was honored for a number of years with a position on the city school board. He was the father of five children, two boys and three girls.

Memoirs of Milwaukee County by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg. 606



Source: Warren Evening Mirror (Warren, Pennsylvania) 1908 March 25

Never without his Coffin

Traveler Always Instructs Pursers to Prevent His Burial at Sea

Max Gibbs of Milwaukee, who frequently goes to Europe on business not unconnected with mortuary things, got back to New York the other day with his coffin, which he always carried with him. He gives instructions to the pursers not to have him buried at sea. Otherwise he would not be able to squeeze himself into the coffin, which is sixteen inches long. His puzzle question to those that have not heard it is how is he going to get himself in the coffin.

If you give it up, he will tell you that his body will be cremated first. The coffin is metallic and is lined with plush, on which there is a little American flag. Max in condensed form will be wrapped in this flag before they nail his coffin down and put him away in a Milwaukee cemetery.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

David Ginzburger, a prominent dealer in bags, boxes and hides, in Milwaukee, was born in Munich, Bavaria, on Feb. 14, 1833. He was the only child of Leopold and Julia Ginzburger, both natives of Bavaria, the former having been born in 1793 and the latter in 1814. The mother died when David was but three days old, and the father married again, having several children by his second union. The father was an agriculturist of prominence, making a specialty of the culture of hops and the breeding of silkworms. He was the recipient of several medals as a recognition of the fine quality of his hops. The father left his native land in 1854, having been sent for by his son, who had come to this country the year previous. From the time of his arrival to 'that of his death in 1860, he earned a livelihood by the teaching of Hebrew in Philadelphia, two daughters keeping house for the father and son.

David Ginzburger took advantage of the educational facilities offered by the Bavarian schools, and from that time until his coming to America in 1853 he worked in a commercial bank in Munich, Bavaria. He located in Philadelphia and for seven years served as a bookkeeper in a banking concern. Then for short periods he worked in wholesale dry goods and wholesale millinery houses. Finally he went to Tennessee and located in a small town about twenty miles east of Memphis, where he established a retail dry goods store. He was the first merchant who had ever traded goods for produce and was successful in a business way. But the prevalence of malaria made it necessary that he leave the locality and he moved to Washington. D. C. where he established an office for the supply of substitutes for men drafted for the Union army. This work occupied him until 1863, when he first came to Wisconsin, locating in La Crosse. As a means of livelihood there he sold dry goods from a wagon which he drove around the country.

In 1873 he came to Milwaukee. For two years he wholesaled confectionery in the country immediately surrounding the city, using the same method that he had in selling dry goods at La Crosse. When he retired from that line of work he went into the business of buying and selling hides and of wholesaling and retailing boxes and bags. This has been his line of work ever since and today he supplies some of the largest wholesale houses with boxes. Although well advanced in years he still retains his active participation in the business which he has developed to such success.

Mr. Ginzburger has been twice married. His first wife was Sophia Ensell, a native of Hohenzollern, Hechingen, Germany, now deceased, by whom he had seven children. They are Julia, now Mrs. Conn; Robert; Augusta; Leo ; Hattie, now Mrs. Manstach ; Gustav ; and Blanche. His second wife was formerly Miss Matilda Strauss, who was born in the state of New York and came to Milwaukee in the early forties when but three years of age. She is a daughter of Mier and Regina Strauss, the former of whom is one of the pioneers of the city and a well-known wholesale tobacco dealer.



Candidate for City of Wauwatosa
H. W. Glasier, Republican candidate for Mayor, has recently come a resident of this part of Wisconsin. He was born in Rock Co., Wis, about 34 years ago. He was in teaching and university work for several years and is currently interested in the Sunday school supply business. He lives with his father-in-law, Mr. Merrick.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899


Dr. William M. Gorham

Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

Dr. William M. Gorham, born at Newberry, N. J., July 4, 1810, came to Milwaukee in 1836 with the intention of engaging in the mercantile business, but the stock of goods he brought with him was not suited to the demands of a frontier town and he took up the practice of medicine, for which he prepared himself by graduating at the Castleton Medical College, Vt., in 1833. His methods were of the "old school" type. Whatever skill he may have possessed seems to have been more than offset by his sedate and melancholy manner, which generally had a depressing effect upon his patients, though during the earlier years he was several times called to "Rock River settlement," as Janesville was then called, making his way over a trail through dense woods. His last years were passed in retirement on a farm, comparatively poor and broken in health. He died in 1884.



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Charles Lincoln Goss, a patent attorney of Milwaukee, is a native of Vermont, born at Brandon, Rutland county, Sept. 18, 1856. His parents were Alba Warren Goss, who was born at the same place on Oct. 22, 1825, and Jerusha Eva (Lincoln) Goss, born at Pittsford, Vt., Aug. 8, 1827. Charles Goss, the subject of this review, is descended from New England ancestors. His great-great grandfather, Capt. John Carver, served with the Colonial troops in the French and Indian wars from 1755-1762, and was one of the first if not the pioneer English explorer of the Northwest. Captain Carver made a canoe trip, starting from Michillimackinac. at that time the most western English trading post in the country, and from there passed on to Green Bay or La Baye, as it was then called, up the Fox and down the Wisconsin rivers to the Mississippi and up that river to the present site of St. Paul and Minneapolis. He spent the winter of 1766-67 with a tribe of Sioux Indians about two hundred miles from the mouth of the Minnesota river, returning by the way of the Chippewa river and the north and east shores of Lake Superior to Michillimackinac and thence to Boston, which he reached in the fall of 1768. After his return the captain wrote an account of his trip, which was published in London in 1778 and which ran through several editions and was translated into other languages. Charles Goss' maternal grandfather, John Harvey Lincoln, was a soldier in the war of 1812 and volunteered For the expedition to Plattsburg, N. Y.

Charles received his preliminary education in the public schools of his native town and then entered the University of Vermont at Burlington, in which he was graduated with the degree of A. B. in 1878. After leaving college he studied law at Brandon, Vt. with ex-Governor E. J. Ormsbee, taking one year, 1879-80, of the course at Dane Law School, Harvard University. lie was admitted to the bar of the Rutland County Court, Vermont, at the March term, 1881, and in the fall of that year moved from Brandon to Milwaukee. In 1 883 Mr. Goss was admitted to practice in the Circuit Court of Milwaukee, and in 1898 to the Supreme Court of the state of Wisconsin. Ever since settling in Milwaukee he has practiced as a patent attorney and solicitor of patents with the firms of Flanders & Bottum ; Winkler, Flanders, Smith, Bottum & Vilas, and their successors. Mr. Goss is a Republican in politics and is a member of Sigma Phi college fraternity, Phi Beta Kappa (University of Vermont Chapter), honorary college fraternity; the Milwaukee Bar Association, a charter member of the University Club, a member of the Chicago Patent Law Association, and is president of the Milwaukee Congregational Club.

On Sept. 27, 1882, Mr. Goss married Lizzie Maria, the daughter of Ebenezer Holland and Elizabeth (Dyer) Weeks, of Brandon, Vt., and the mother of his two children, Genevieve Iola, born in Milwaukee on Dec. 10, 1883, and John Warren, born in Milwaukee on Aug. 16, 1887. On Feb. 5, 1890, Mrs. Goss died. Mr. Goss married, Feb. 15, 1894, Alice Warbasse, the daughter of George Warren and Hannah (Norris) Emery, of Manitowoc, Wis.



Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
H.W. Gransee, Republican candidate for re-election as constable, he resides on 39th St. near Grand Ave. in Wauwatosa.

Source: Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899



Keeper of the Government light at North Point, Milwaukee, was born in Saratoga, N.Y. He is a grandson of Augustus Green, who was an officer in the Revolutionary War. The subject of this sketch began his business career as a merchant in Utica, N.Y. He afterward carried on business in the same line at Jordan, N.Y., and continued in the mercantile business in the State of New York thirty years. In 1866, he moved to Milwaukee County, where he engaged in farming with his son-in-law, Geo. C. Stevens, on the farm known as the "Cream Meadow Farm," situated near Wauwatosa. Mr. Stevens, now deceased, was well known as a United States revenue officer of this port. After spending five years on the farm, Mr. Green was appointed keeper of the North Point light, Milwaukee. His appointment dates from October 5, 1871. Has served in that capacity nearly ten years.

Source:History of Milwaukee County, 1881



BENJAMIN GREGORY is a well known florist of Milwaukee, whose greenhouses are at 1339 Humbolt avenue. He was born in Cambridge, England, on May 20, 1858, a son of James and Eliza Gregory. The father received his education in the schools of his native land and up to the time he reached his majority he worked as a landscape gardener. When he had just come of age he was made the head landscape gardener and overseer of the Quintanis estate, one of the large English estates, a position which he held until he died. There were eleven children in his family, seven sons and four daughters, and all but one grew to maturity. The father died in 1878 and the mother passed away twenty years later. Benjamin Gregory received a somewhat limited education in his native land and when but seventeen years of age came to the United States with his brother. In New York he learned the art of floristry and after he had mastered his profession found employment on many of the large estates in both New York and New Jersey. On March 20, 1885, he received the announcement of his selection as head florist of the David Ferguson greenhouses in Milwaukee and came at once to this city. His connection with Mr. Ferguson continued for a period of seven years. Then he established the business which has since been a means of livelihood to him. Its success is in large measure due to this habits of frugality, industry and strict attention to business, and today it is recognized as one of the most prosperous florists' establishments in the city. In politics he is a Republican, but has never sought political office, and in religious matters he is affiliated with the Baptist church. On Sept. 10, 1890, Mr. Gregory was united in marriage to Miss Jessie Kirk, a native of Scotland, and a daughter to James Kirk. They had no children. Mrs. Gregory passed away on Aug. 20, 1900, leaving behind her an influence for good which years cannot efface. Two nieces, Anna and Lylia, and a nephew, Edward, who is learning the art, make their home with Mr. Gregory.

Memoirs of Milwaukee County by Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909 pg 279



August Greulich, the Editor, Farmer, and Successful Merchant

A Milwaukee Pioneer
image available at Linking Your Past Image Gallery

August Greulich was born on his father's estate near Bishofsheim, Baden, Germany, Aug. 3, 1813, and was educated at the academies of Bishofsheim and Freiburg. He came to America in 1834, worked for a time in New York, Albany, Boston, Buffalo and Clevland, and in 1836 went to Detroit. He voted for the first constitution of Michigan, and while living in that state took an active part in politics. Jan. 23, 1838, he married his present estimable wife, and for the next three years was one of the leading citizents of Detroit, both in business and politics. In 1841 he moved his family to Milwaukee, trying farming for a while, but finally returned to the town, where the firm of Greulich & Haertel conducted a general store for some years. In 1852 he bought an interest in The Seebote, which paper he conducted for seven years, winning a wide reputation as a writer. After disposing of his newspaper interests, in 1860, he bought out Finkler's stock of drugs and liquors, and laid the foundation of the business now so successfully conducted by himself and son. Mr. Greulich has several times been a member of the state senate and assembly, and was for years in the council. He was chairman of the committee that investigated the official acts of Gardner and Lynch, when the city records were burned in the old Cross block, and there was so much excitement and charges of corruption.

Although now well advanced in years, Mr. Greulich has by no means outlived his usefulness, and still takes an active interest both in his private business and also in anything that will advance the interests of the ciety where he has lived nearly half a century, and has seen a very hard looking scrub oak and tamarack landscape turned into the busy home of 150,000 people, most of whome were not born when first he landed on the lakeshore.

For a long time Mr. Greulich was a directory and treasurer of St. Aemilianus orphan asylum, and is still an active friend of that charity. He was also formean of old No. 2 volunteer fire company and did good service in the early days.

Source: Date of news article unknown circa 1890



Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

Dr. James Porter Greves, a son of Thomas and Minerva (Porter) Greves, was born in Skaneateles, Onondaga Co., New York, Sept. 10, 1810. As a printer and student his youth was passed in Utica, where he became a member of the Presbyterian Church.

At the age of twenty-three years he took his degree of M. D. from the Geneva Medical College, Geneva, N. Y., and the same year. 1833, married Helen Sandford of Ovid, N. Y., and took his bride immediately to Marshall, Michigan, and from his log cabin, with horse and saddle-bags, he practised his profession throughout all that region, until the spring of 1845, when he sold out and removed home and practice to Milwaukee, then a town of about eight thousand inhabitants. The old American House was his home until he purchased from one Hatch the dwelling house on the westerly side of Milwaukee street, the third dwelling north of the corner of Wisconsin street, Mr. Geo. Dousman owning the corner lot, and Mr. Geo. Bowman the lot next to Mr. Dousman's on the North.

He practised his profession until the early part of 1856 when he became interested in land and mining speculations at Superior City and the north shore of Lake Superior, and thenceforth his medical practice was practically suspended and pioneer spirit and tastes led him into ventures of the most varied character, one of the most permanent of his several sojournings being the territory of Nevada, especially at the city of Austin, during all the year 1863.

Somewhere about the year 1869 he with Judge North of Austin and E. G. Brown of Iowa was deputed by the "Southern California Colony Association" to locate a tract of land in Southern California suitable for the colonizing purposes of the association, and after thorough investigation they chose the site where now stands the city of Riverside, which site was, upon their report, immediately purchased by the association and the settlement begun. There Dr. Greves continued to reside until his death, September 25, 1889, during most of the time serving as secretary of the association, and there his remains are buried.

Two sons, James Sandford Greves, a prominent attorney in New York City, and Lewis Sandford Greves survive him. Greves street on the West Side is named in his honor.



Source Unknown Pg 301

Max Grunewald, member of the A. Grunewald & Sons Company, was born in Milwaukee, May 23, 1886, and is a son of Albert Grunewald, a native of Germany, born in 1858. The father came to America when a young man of twenty-six years and settled in Milwaukee, where his remaining days were passed. He had but one hundred dollars when he started in business and received assistance from John Pritzlaff, the well known hardware dealers, who aided him in making a start in business. Mr. Grunewald continued in the business for thirty-six years and was one of the most highly respected and progressive merchants of the city. It was in 1885 that he established the business that is now carried on under the style of the A. Grunewald & Sons Company at Nos. 4727 and 4729 North avenue. This was the first blacksmithing shop on the avenue and the only one for a distance of two miles. He not only carried on blacksmithing but dealt in farm implements, buggies and hardware specialties and his became one of the best known places in the north end. In 1912 the present store was built-a two-story brick structure-and today an extensive line of hardware is carried and a good business is enjoyed. Albert Grunewald continued in active connection with the trade for many years. He also served as a school director in school District No. 6, now the Washington Park school, and he was the treasurer of the Von Steuben Monument Committee. He took an active and helpful interest in all that pertained to the upbuilding and development of his section of the city and his worth is widely acknowledged. In 1885 he married Alvina Sylvester and they became the parents of four children: Max G., Arthur A., Clara and Otto C. The father departed this life in April, 1916, having for about a year survived his wife, who died in April, 1915.

Max Grunewald, whose name introduces this review, pursued his education in the public schools of Milwaukee, passing through consecutive grades to the high school, and after completing his course there he attended business college. He initiated his business career with five years service in the employ of Wallace Smith, a wholesale harness dealer, and then entered the Wisconsin National Bank in the capacity of bookkeeper. He continued in that institution for six years, on the expiration of which period he entered his father's store in order to take charge of the business which has continued to grow and develop until it is one of the most important commercial interests of North avenue. Mr. Grunewald is a member of the North Avenue Advancement Association and he takes an active part in promoting progress in the city along many lines.

Max Grunewald was married and has one child, Elmer. He belongs to the Benevolent Protective Order of Elks and he took an active and prominent part in all war drives. At the same time he is a thoroughgoing and progressive business man and his energy has brought splendid results in the conduct of the business.

Arthur A. Grunewald, also a partner in the A. Grunewald & Sons Company, was born September 17, 1887, and acquired a public school education. In 1910, he married Miss Emma Weber and they are parents of two children, Loraine and Harold.