Biographies and Family Information
Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, BaptismsTo facilitate your search the surnames have been cross indexed.
|[ A ]||[ B ]||[ Be ]||[ Bi ]||[ Bo ]||[ Br ]||[ Bu ]||[ C ]||[ D ]||[ E ]||[ F ]||[ G ]|
|[ H ]||[ I ]||[ J ]||[ K ]|
|[ L ]||[ M ]||[ N ]||[ O ]|
|[ P ]||[ Q ]||[ R ]||[ S ]|
|[ T ]||[ U ]||[ V ]||[ W ]|
|[ Y ]||[ Z ]||-||-|
Candidate for Town of Wauwatosa
W.H. Taff, Republican candidate for justice of the peace, resides in the portion of Wauwatosa known as Silver City where he held the office of justice of the peace for several years.
Wauwatosa News April 1, 1899
GEORGE L. WALSH
Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous
George L. Thomas, funeral director and embalmer, is a native of Ohio, having been born in Cincinnati, Jan. 7, 1843. His parents were William R. and Christiana S. (Knight) Thomas, the former born in Hagerstown, Md., and the latter in New Orleans, La. George l. participated in the civil war, having enlisted as a private in Company D, Second Kentucky Infantry, in June, 1861, and the regiment was in the Siege of Corinth, the Battles of Shiloh, Stone River, Chickamauga, and was mustered out in March, 1863.
Mr. Thomas came first to Wisconsin as a traveling accountant for the Grover & Baker Sewing Machine Company, in 1868. In 1875 he engaged in the livery business in Milwaukee, and two years later entered the line which he is now following. He carried on both the livery and undertaking business until 1899, when he discontinued the former. In the process of embalming Mr. Thomas was the pioneer in Wisconsin, attending the first school opened for instruction in that line, in Cincinnati, Ohio, March, 1882. He has served as president of the Wisconsin funeral directors' and embalmers' association, and as secretary for eight years, and on all of the important committees ; was also vice-president of the National Funeral Directors of the United States, refusing the presidency in 1899.
He is prominent in fraternal circles, belonging to the lodge, chapter and commandery of the Masonic Order ; to the Grand Army of the Republic, serving for six consecutive years as trustee of the Wisconsin Veterans' Home, all of that time being president of the board of trustees; is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Milwaukee division, uniform rank; of the Order of Eastern Star ; the Milwaukee Athletic Club ; and Merchants' and Manufacturers' Association. In politics he is a supporter of the principles and policies of the Republican party, and in religious matters belongs to the Congregational church.
On Nov. 16, 1871, he was united in marriage to Miss Julia N. Sivyer, daughter of Joseph and Dorothea (Davis) Sivyer, of Milwaukee; the daughter born to this union, Lillian, is now the wife of Edward F. Pierce, of Milwaukee, who is engaged in the electric light and fixture business.
CAPTAIN GEORGE L. THOMPSON
Captain George L. Thompson, whether or not a self-made man, has attained the position of master of steamboats by virtue of his own merits. He was born December 17, 1857, near Ogdensburg, N. Y., moving thence with his parents, James and Ellen (Lattimer) Thompson, to Detroit. He was strenuous in his efforts for knowledge and gained that culture which a college cannot give, receiving his literary training in the public schools of Detroit, Saginaw and Port Huron, which he attended until he reached the age of twenty years. Possessed of the strength of character which comes to earnest young men of that age, he chose his profession with deliberation, and entered the employ of the Northwest Transportation Company with the purpose of becoming the commander of a steamboat. His first experience was as watchman on the passenger steamer Quebec, and during the three years he remained with that company he held the berths of wheelsman and second mate of the steamer Ontario. In order to gain the requisite knowledge of the duties required on sailing vessels he shipped in the schooner Seaman before the mast, and served on her two seasons. In the spring of 1882 Captain Thompson joined the steamer Northerner as wheeelsman, and in 1883 the steamer Horace B. Tuttle, closing the season on the Iron Age. The following spring he went on the Milwaukee as wheelsman, and in 1855 on the Fountain City, on which he remained three seasons, being promoted to the office of second mate after six months, and the last year becoming mate. His next steamer was the Colorado, on which he was appointed second mate and promoted to the office of mate, and in 1891 he was placed in command of her. The following spring he was appointed master of the Osceola, and in 1893 returned to the command of the Colorado, closing the season, however, as master of the Roanoke. After laying the Roanoke up, the Captain entered the employ of the Toledo, Ann Arbor & Northern Michigan Railway Company as master of the Ann Arbor No. 1, sailing her and the Ann Arbor No. 2 alternately. In 1894 he sailed the schooner George W. Johnson, and the next year the steamer Rhoda Emily, following with a season as master of the George L. Colwell. It was in 1897 that the Captain was appointed master of the large ferry steamer Shenango No. 2, chartered by the Detroit, Grand Rapids & Western Railway Co., and plying in their interest between Muskegon and Milwaukee. As a steamboat man the Captain has been eminently successful, and there is no legend of lost vessels or seamen connected with his career on the lakes.
In August, 1881, Captain Thompson wedded Miss Edith R., daughter of Daniel Flood, of Algonac, Mich., a retired lake captain whose last vessel was the schooner Seaman. The children born to this union are William G., Lulu Lattimer and Hazel. The family homestead is in Allen street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.
CAPT. PETER THORP
No. 355 Reed street, was born in Denmark in 1847. He commenced his career as a cabin boy at the age of 12 years, in the brig "FLORA." In 1861 he sailed out of London in a vessel called the "ATLANTIC," engaged in the China trade. He was five years on the coast of China, and came to this city in 1871. He commenced sailing on the lakes before the mast, and was promoted to captain in 1875. He is now commander of the "J.T. BECKER," and engaged in the lumber trade. He was married in March 1880, to Miss Mary Meinhardt, a native of Milwaukee.
Source: History of Milwaukee County, 1881
REV. WILLIAM HARRISON THROOP
Source: The Bromwell Genealogy: Including Descendants of William Bromwell and Beulah, by By Henrietta Elizabeth Bromwell, 1910
Lived when a boy, in Worthington, Ind., where he was a very remarkable child, writing letters in verse at an early age, and making unusual advances in education. He studied for the ministry, and was very successful in the work when established, as the following, clipped from the "Historical Sketch of St. James Episcopal Church, Milwaukee, Wis.," will show: The book was published by the parish in 1907:
"The Rev. William H. Throop was Rector of the church from 1875 to 1882. Just before he entered upon his rectorship, the following advertisement appeared in an Eastern paper, which shows very plainly the darker side of St. James, for it is true that there was much more friction in our church in the past than is now:
"Wanted-A rector for St. James' Church, Milwaukee, Wis. He must possess all the Christian graces, and a few worldly ones. Must have such tact and disposition as will enable him to side with all parties in the parish on all points,, giving offense to none. Should possess a will of his own, but agree with all the vestry. Must be socially inclined, and of dignified manners, affable to all, neither running after the wealthy, nor turning his back upon the poor. A man of high-low church tendencies is preferred. Must be willing to preach first-class sermons and do first-class work at second-class compensation. Salary should not be so much of an object as the desire to be a zealous laborer in the vineyard. Should be able to convince all that they are miserable sinners without giving offense. Each sermon must be short but complete in itself-full of old-fashioned theology in modern dress-deep, but polished, and free from the eloquence peculiar to newly graduated theologians. Should be young enough to be enthusiastic, but possess the judgement of one of ripe years and experience. He only who possesses the above qualifications need apply. To such an one will be given steady employment for a term of years. For further information apply to any member of the congregation."
This remarkable noticed seemed to have suited William H. Throop, for the record goes on to say:
"Under Mr. Throop the church grew rapidly, and much work was accomplished. He had great influence among people, and was much beloved. he organized St. James Brotherhood, which worked for many years in the Palmer's Addition Mission Sunday School. The outgrowth of this mission is the present St. Stephen's Church. Rev. Mr. Throop's death was very sad. He was still a young man, and his life work seemed only beginning. But there are those who accomplish much in a few years allotted to them on earth, and leave an influence and name which others might envy."
The church later erected a handsome memorial window in honor of the talented, but martyred young man, who fulfilled all these requirements.
John Tiry, the eldest son of Johann and Eva (Barth) was born 20 Nov. 1856 in Schlesingerville (now Slinger), Washington Co., Wi.
John worked as a lumberjack in his early days. He and his brother Michael helped to clear some of the land for the farmers near Holy Hill. While working in a sawmill, he had an accident in which one of his hands was severed at the wrist. A hook was used to replace his missing hand.
John married Elizabetha Kestell in a double wedding on 6 April 1880, at St. Boniface Catholic Church, in Goldendale, town of Germantown, Washington Co., Wi. Elizabeth's brother George Kestell, married Ferdinanda Tiry on the same day.
Elizabetha was born 1 April 1858 in the Town of Germantown, Washington Co., to Johann Baptist Kastell and Ursula (Krippel, Krebbel, Prevel?) John and Elizabeth purchased farmland on 1 October 1885 from John Bernett and Anna, his wife. The purchased land was the NW1/4of the SE 1/4 of Section 29 of Township 9 and the NE 1/4 of the SE 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of Section of Township 20 East. The Witnesses were Adam Meunier and John Town of Germantown. Kestell. He paid $2,800.00 for the land. On 15 Oct. 1886, John and Elizabeth Tiry sold to Charles Dallmann, (the sister and brother-in-law of Elizabeth) the NW 1/4 of the SE qtr of the NE 1/4 of Section 29 range 20 containing 100 acres of land. The price was $3,800. Also on 15 Oct. 1886, George Johann Kestell and Lena Kestell, his wife, sold to John Tiry for 800.00 40 acres in the SW 1/4 of the NE 1/4 of Section 29 of Township 9, North of Range 20. The witnesses were Adam Meunier (Notary public) and Carl Dallmann.
John supposedly had owned the tavern across from St. Lawrence Church in St. Lawrence, Washington Co., Wi. He had a vicious temper and one evening, John and a customer got into an argument. John almost killed the man with his hooked hand. It is speculation that this incident prompted John to quit or sell the tavern and move to Milwaukee. However, court records show he lost the tavern to foreclosure. He appears on the Milwaukee City Directory for the first time in 1890. His occupation at that time was saloon and boarding.
John had several different jobs during his life. He was granted his liquor license in Milwaukee in 1890. He worked as a saloon keeper for 5 years, then as a contractor, grader, laborer, teamster, and peddler.
John died in the House of Correction on 4 August 1910 of heart failure secondary to alcoholism. His death certificate states that he is buried at Union Cemetery in Milwaukee, but the cemetery office does not have a record of his burial.
Elizabeth lived for 6 years after John's death. She died 13 October 1916 of a cerebral hemorrhage. She is buried in an unmarked grave in Holy Cross Cemetery in Milwaukee.
For more information on this family see the website at: Kautzer-Kestell Website
CAPT. JAMES F. TROWELL
Source: History of Milwaukee County, 1881
Capt. James F. Trowell was born at Casteton, on the Hudson River, seven miles below Albany, State of New York, in the year 1828, on the 29th of July. His parents were Scotch and English. His father was one of the contractors on the Erie Canal, and removed to the State of Ohio, Wood County in the year 1837, and located on a farm. His father died the same year when James F. Trowell commenced sailing on a small schooner, called the "CAROLINE," as a boy, in 1842, and has been in active service on various vessels and steamers ever since. Im 1844 on steamer "COM O.H. PERRY," between Buffalo and Toledo, in 1845 on steamer "SUPERIOR," between Buffalo and Chicago, until 1851. In 1852 was master of the steamer "JOHN HOLLISTER," plying between Detroit and Toledo, and between Cleveland and Sandusky. In 1855 took command of the propeller "MICHIGAN," plying between Ogdensburg and Chicago, and intermediate ports. In 1854 was mate and sailing master of the steamer "ST. LAWRENCE," plying between Buffalo and Sandusky in connection with the Mad River and Lake Erie Railroad; in 1855, master of propeller "OGENTRY," plying between Chicago and Ontonagon, and intermediate ports on Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. IN 1856 was first officer of propeller "ORONTES," plying between Buffalo and Toledo in connection with the New York Central Railroad and Michigan Southern Railroad at Toledo. In 1857 on the propeller "EQUINOX," plying between Buffalo and Sandusky City. In 1858 was transportation agent for the New York Central line of steamers, plying between Buffalo and Toledo, at Buffalo; in 1859 on the propeller "EUPHRATES," of New York Central Line plying between Buffalo and Toledo. In 1860 was first officer of steamship "DETROIT," between Milwaukee and Grand Haven in connection with Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad, in 1861, do; in 1862 was appointed master of steamship "MILWAUKEE" of the above line, and was master of the steamship "MILWAUKEE" six years. (For the Winter service of the above six years was on the propellers "PITTSBURG," "CALDWELL," "CUSHMAN.") On the 9th of October, 1868, the "MILWAUKEE" was wrecked at Grand Haven, with 85 passengers and 31 of its crew; all wee safely landed in life boats. In 1869 was master of the steamship "DETROIT" of same line, until the 6th of July, when he was placed in command of propeller "IRONSIDES," and remained on "IRONSIDES" until the Winter of 1870-71, when he was placed in command of the propeller "LAC LA BELLE" of the same line until the 6th of March, when he was placed in command of the steamer "SAGINAW," owned by the North Western Railroad and plying between Green Bay and Escanaba, connecting the main line of the above Railroad with their Peninsula Division from Escanaba to Negaunee and Ishpeming, Lake Superior, and remained on the above route until the Fall of 1872, when the North-Western Railroad extended their railroad through from Chicago to Lake Superior. 1873 to 1876, was engaged as mining agent, superintendent and explorer of various iron interests on Lake Superior; then returned to the lake marine and took command of steamer "FLORA" in 1877-78-79, for the North-Western Transportation Co. So endeth the first lesson.
JOHN HUBBARD TWEEDY
Source: The Fisher Genealogy; Record of the Descendants of Joshua, Anthony and Cornelius Fisher; by Philip A. Fisher; 1898
He was one of the pioneer settlers of Milwaukee, and one of its most predominant citizens. No man enjoyed greater respect in the community where he lived, and none more deserved it. Mr. Tweedy became a resident of Milwaukee when it was a mere settlement in the western wilderness fifty-eight years ago. From a population of a few hundreds he has seen it grow to a city of 225,000 inhabiants. All the years of his active manhood were spent there, and none of its citizents probably have conributed more to give character to the city and state than he. Unlike most of the early settlers, he was a man of trained education, a graduate of Yale, and throughout his life a reader and a lover of what was best in literature. He was also distinguished for his unselfish interest in public affairs, and rendered both the state and city valuable services in giving shape and direction to the respective policies and development. It is said to have been one of his peculiarities as a lawyer that he would not take a case unless he believed himself on the right side, and then he became absorbed in it. As a member of the territorial legislature, of the first constitutional convention, and a delegate to congress in those early days, he discharged his duty with eminent ability. While yet a young man, in consequnce of delicate health, he withdrew from active participation in public and professional life, but maintained a lively interest in public affairs up to a period of his last illness. Although he had reached an advanced age, Mr. Tweedy never seemed like an old man. He preserved a youthful spirit, he kept in sympathy with his time, and liked the society of the young. He was a man of the most scrupulous sense of justice and honor, and those who knew him best were most impressed with the nobility of his character. Those who remembered him in his active prime can bear testimony to his rare gifts as a public speaker. He had the oratorical temperament, the personal magnetism that thrills and sways an audience, and he always addressed himself to the higher and better nature of his hearers. There was a courtesy and dignity in his manner that fixed attention, and won confidence. He "had no arts but manly arts" and no man could have died in this community whose loss will be more sincerely felt by the people who well knew him.