Biographies and Family Information

Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, Baptisms

To facilitate your search the surnames have been cross indexed.
[ A ] [ B ] [ Be ] [ Bi ]
[ Bo ] [ Br ] [ Bu ] [ C ]
[ D ] [ E ] [ F ] [ G ]
[ H ] [ I ] [ J ] [ K ]
[ L ] [ M ] [ N ] [ O ]
[ P ] [ Q ] [ R ] [ S ]
[ T ] [ U ] [ V ] [ W ]
[ Y ] [ Z ] - -


Among the men who have achieved prominence in the vessel business at the port of Detroit is Lewis C. Waldo, who was for several years associated with the late Capt. E.M. Peck.

Mr. Waldo was born in the State of New York, and when he was quite young his parents removed to Milwaukee, Wis., where he aferward attended school and acquired a good education. When old enough to strike out for himself he went to Ludington, Mich., and engaged in lumber business. While at Ludington he had built, at Wheeler's Bay City yards, the steamer George W. Roby, handling the boat from Ludington for some years, in connection with his lumber interests. Mr. Waldo came to Detroit in 1890, and has largely extended his vessel connection, being now manager of the Northwestern & Roby Transportation Companies, and president of the Swain Wrecking Company.

The Northwestern Transportation Company, of which Mr. Waldo is secretary, treasurer, and general manager, owns the steamers H.H. Brown, S.R. Kirby, Fayette Brown and E.M. Peck, and the barge George E. Hartnell. These boats are operated on Lakes Michigan, Superior, Huron, and Erie in the transportation of iron ore, coal and grain.

The Roby Transportation Company owns the steamer L.C. Waldo, built in 1896 at the Wheeler yards. This boat, although not so large as some of her competitors, is one of the finest freight boats on the lakes, being provided with every modern appliance for the rapid and easy handling of cargoes. Mr. Waldo expresses himself as highly pleased at the performance of this boat during her first season.

Source: Unknown



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Francis A. Walsh, of Milwaukee, Wis., has been a member of Wolcott post, G. A. R., in that city, since 1886, in which local organization he filled the chair of commander in 1903. In the same year he was appointed by Gen. Thomas J. Stuart, commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic, to the position of Inspector-General of the National Department, and in 1906 he was chief of start of the department commander of Wisconsin. Mr. Walsh was born at East Greenwich, R.I., July 9, 1847, the son of James T. and Mary F. (O'Neil) Walsh. While the subject of this review was an infant the family removed from Rhode Island to Trumansburg, Tompkins County, New York, where the father was connected with the McClennel Nursery Company. From that point he came west in 1853 and estabHished a nursery at Lena, Ill., intending that his family should join him later, but before they came he met death in a railroad accident. Notwithstanding this great calamity the mother decided to follow the plans previously arranged, and in 1854 she removed to Lena with her children. She was an educated woman, and after locating at Lena followed the profession of teaching to support her family of five boys and two girls.

Her son, Francis A., attended school at Lena and worked at farming, and was engaged in the latter occupation when the news was received of the Battle of Pea Ridge. A brother who had enlisted in the Ninth Iowa Infantry was reported killed in this engagement, and the sad news, although happily incorrect, fired the youth to the point of entering the service himself. He had wanted to enlist earlier, but the objections of his mother prevailed. In April, 1862, although less than fifteen years old, he enlisted in Company H of the Sixty-Seventh Illinois infantry, a regiment organized at Camp Douglas and mustered into the United States service for three months. It relieved the veteran forces at Camp Douglas for a time and the latter were sent to the front. Soon after his enHistment our subject was one of the volunteers selected to make the exchange of prisoners at Vicksburg, Miss., and did not return until the Fall of 1862, being mustered out of the service in October. He then enlisted in Company G, Forty-Sixth Illinois Infantry, but his trip to Vicksburg had impaired his health, resulting in pneumonia, and he was not mustered in.

After regaining his health he became an apprentice at the machinist trade, engaging with the Illinois locomotive shops at Smboy, Ill., and rapidly acquired a technical knowledge of that occupation. He then went to Logansport, Ind., and entered the employ of the Chicago & Great Eastern Railway, remaining some time and holding a place of authority in the round house. He then went to Chicago and was with the Gates Iron Works as a machinist, and later he was with several other firms until he engaged with the Cornell Watch Company at Grand Crossing, where he had charge of the machine shops and mechanical works until the estabHishment was sold and removed to California. Mr. Walsh then entered the employ of Norton Bros., Tinware Manufacturers, with whom he remained a number of years, and during which time he invented a number of appliances which were patented. He then opened a place of his own in Chicago and began manufacturing a machine, invented by himself, for the making of cans used by the large meat packers. He then became a competitor of Norton Bros., who were using several of his inventions, and after building up a large business he removed to Milwaukee in 1883 and estabHished himself in business there, making a splendid success. He was just completing his present large "Walsh" building on the corner of south Water and Reed streets in 1901, when he consolidated his business with the American Can Company, in which he is still largely interested. Altogether Mr. Walsh has invented some seventy-five or eighty devices for the manufacture of machinery for making cans, and today they are in use all over this and other countries. He was a pioneer in that line of work, both as an inventor and promoter, but at present he is chiefly interested in the transfer and storage warehouse business in the city of Milwaukee.

Mr. Walsh was married to Miss Mary Ella Jones, of Elgin, Ill., and to this union were born four children. The eldest child, Francis Herbert, was a member of the Wisconsin National Guard (troop a of Milwaukee) for twelve years and then removed to Colorado, where he enlisted in Troop C of the Colorado National Huard. He was serving with this command during the Cripple Creek Labor Disturbances, and as the result of exposure in the service he contracted pneumonia, and being taken to Colorado Springs died there on Feb. 25. 1902, at the age of 31 years. He never married. Grace A., the second born, married George M. Whitcomb, of DesPlaines, Ill., and the other two are Cora F. and Nell, both residents of Milwaukee. The family has membership in the St. James Episcopal church, and Mr. Walsh is a republican in his political affiliations.

Charles J. Walsh, a brother of the subject [see Francis Walsh below] of this review, and he who was reported killed at the Battle of Pea Ridge, was seriously wounded in that engagement by being shot through both ankles by a mine-ball. He then returned to his home in Lena, Ill., and after recovering from his wounds he enlisted in the Seventeenth Illinois Cavalry and served until the close of the war. He never recovered entirely from his injuries, and after the close of the war he became a traveling salesman, dying while upon one of his trips at Norwalk, Ohio, in 1880. Another brother, James T. Walsh, was a musician in the military band of Gen. Grant's command. Prior to the war he learned the trade of shoemaking, engaged in business in Galena, Ill., and frequently made purchases of leather from Gen. Grant's father, who was in business at that place. After the war James T. Walsh located in Chicago, where he was in the shoe business for a time and then engaged in the paper jobbing business. He died in Chicago on Jan. 23, 1904. A brother-in-law, Andrew McCausland, was also a soldier in the Ninety-Second Illinois Infantry.



Richard C. Wareham, 80, inventor of the SunStove. "I would see women carrying stacks of wood on their head for miles to their cooking huts," he once said. "I've seen hundreds of acres deforested in Africa and Central America because of the need for wood for cooking." The patented solar-powered cooker is inexpensive, with plans also available free at Wareham died of cancer Jan. 9.



WARREN-STEELE On Sunday, the 13th inst., by Rev. M. Hoyt, Leslie T. Warren to Harriet M., daughter of Richard Steele, all of Manitowoc

Source: 26 May 1855 MILWAUKEE DAILY NEWS



WILLIAM WATKINS is a genial vice-president and secretary of the Helmholz Mitten Company of Milwaukee. He was born in the Cream City in 1884, a son of George H. and Jessie E. Watkins. The father was a native of Pennsylvania who came to Milwaukee at an early date and engaged in brick making, an occupation which he followed until his death on Feb. 9, 1908. The mother, although well advanced in years, is still living and retains a remarkable degree her mental faculties. William Watkins received his educational advantages in the common schools of Milwaukee. Upon the completion of his scholastic labors he entered the service of the Milwaukee Harvester Company, and resigned his position to accept a more lucrative one with the Marine National Bank. His connection with the Helmholz Mitten company dates from 1905, when he was elected to his present position as vice-president and secretary. His friends predict for him a brilliant future in commercial life.

Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous pg. 358



William Wirt Watkins, deceased, was born in Chester county, Pa., on Oct. 16, 1832, being the son of William Watkins. The father was a manufacturer of brick at Chester, Pa., and came to Milwaukee in 1845 to engage in the same business. The city was then giving strong evidences of its future greatness and a man of Mr. Watkins' penetrating judgment was not slow in recognizing that here was a most desirable location for his plant. He successfully continued in this business until his death, which occurred in 1874. He was survived by six children as follows: May Ellen, William W., Martha S., George H., Margaret and John.

William Wirt Watkins enjoyed the special benefits of attending and graduating from the Philadelphia public schools, which gave him the advantage of a superior education. Being of a mechanical turn of mind he began and worked for a time at the machinist's trade at Wilmington, Del. He joined his father in Milwaukee in July, 1845, and with his unusual tact and business ability was largely instrumental in furthering the success of the business which his father had founded. On the death of Anthony Green in 1870 he purchased from his estate an interest in the coal business which had been conducted by Mr. Green, and formed a partnership with Charles H. Swan under the firm name of Swan, Watkins & Co.; but a few years later sold this business and in 1885 also disposed of the brick business, which he had conducted since the death of his father, and retired from active business pursuits, having amassed a large fortune, the fruits of his unerring business ability and persistent energy.

On March 16, 1870, he married Miss Harriet, daughter of Horace and Mary (Adams) Fiske, of New York. They had no children. Mrs. Watkin's father and mother were both born in Ellington, Conn. He was for many years engaged in the express business at Waterford, N. Y., which he followed until his death. After the father's death the mother brought the family to Milwaukee in 1865, and here she died. The family was composed of the following children : John, Mary, Martha, Sarah, Harriet, Horace and Caroline. They were all members of the Presbyterian church, the father being an elder therein for over twenty years.

Our subject was not only a builder of his country's industries, but he was also in those days that tried the souls of loyal men, a brave defender of the flag at the cannon's mouth. While his wealth and position in society could have saved him the trials and dangers of a life on the field of battle, he brushed them aside and entered the lists where true men prove by their conduct that it is sweet if need be to die for one's native land. In August, 1861, he enlisted in the reorganized Company A of the First Wisconsin infantry, and was chosen second lieutenant of his company, his commission being dated from Sept. 13. 1861. He served until the expiration of his term of enlistment, having been promoted to the adjutancy of his regiment for conspicuous bravery. He was mustered out on Oct. 16, 1864, with the rank of captain. He was continuously with his regiment, and with it took part in the engagements at Perryville, Stone's River, Chickamauga and Missionary Ridge.

In politics he was a Republican, and as a representative of that party he served for nine years as alderman from the Fourth ward of Milwaukee, before its division, and he was a member of the City Library Board. He enjoyed the conspicuous honor of being chosen chairman of the commission which was appointed to erect monuments to mark the spots on Chickamauga's fearful battlefield where Wisconsin's brave sons baptized the Southern soil with their blood and willingly yielded up their lives in order that the Union might be preserved and that every man living beneath "Old Glory's" stainless folds might be and remain absolutely free. He was an attendant of the Calvary Presbyterian church, a member of the Knights Templar, the Blue Lodge of Masons and of the Loyal Legion, of E. B. Wolcott Post, G. A. R., and for man}' years of the Soldiers' Relief Committee of Milwaukee county.
Thus passed away on Dec. 8, 1896, a man, who in peace and in war, had played a conspicuous and successful role among his fellows, and always received and enjoyed their respectful consideration.

Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous



Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

Dr. Lemuel W. Weeks was born at Hardwick, Vt., Nov. 18, 1805, where his boyhood was spent on a farm. His thirst for knowledge lead him to obtain books from the nearest town, with which, by dint of his own exertions, he secured the means for an academic course. He taught school and studied medicine at Castleton, graduating in 1828. At Fort Ticonderoga, N. Y., he began to practise and later moved to Keeserville, N". Y. Finding the life of a country physician too arduous, he entered mercantile pursuits and the western fever overtaking him, he traveled by stage coach and on horseback to St. Louis, 'Chicago and Milwaukee, where he settled in 1837 with his family. Like a number of professional men in those days he relinquished his profession and became speculator, builder, grain dealer, merchant and farmer. In 1846 he retired from the mercantile business to devote all his time to his large real estate transactions at Walker's Point, residing on the corner of Hanover and Elisabeth streets in a fine, rambling old house, occupying a commanding position, but razed since then; large market gardens and a large farm of 80 acres in what is now the 12th ward adjoined his homestead. He became the founder and president of the Merchants Mutual Insurance Co., for many years a leading company on the lakes. He also built the first grain warehouse in the city, known as the "Checkered warehouse," below East Water street bridge, and with Alexander Mitchell the "Blue warehouse" on Erie street. He was also one of the organizers of the first railroad company in Wisconsin, the "Milwaukee and Waukesha," which became afterward the " Milwaukee and Mississippi railroad." The panic of 1857 forced him to the wall, shortly after having purchased 150 acres adjoining the city on the south from Alex. Mitchell, platted as Weeks' sub.division. With indomitable courage he entered afresh upon new enterprises. Failing health induced him to seek rest and buy a small farm in Summit, near Oconomowoc, where with his wife he spent the remainder of his active life, passing away May 7th, 1884, in the 79th year of his age.



Stevens Point Journal, The (Stevens Point, Wisconsin) 1900 May 19

Has a Heroic Record

Among the traveling men in the city today was Geo. E. Wells, one of the two men who, at the imminent risk of their own lives, saved four teen girls from cremation, at the time of the Newhall house fire at Milwaukee. Mr. Wells and his companion got on the roof of a five story building, which was separated from the Newhall by an alleyway. From this position they shoved a ladder across the alley through a window of the hotel. Across this frail bridge, many feet from the ground, they conducted the girls from the burning hotel to safety.

Stevens Point Journal, The (Stevens Point, Wisconsin) 1913 January 18

The Newhall House Fire

One of the Heroes Spends Thirteenth Anniversary in This City.

Friday, January 10, was the thirteenth anniversary of the burning of the Newhall house, Milwaukee, and George Wells, one of the heroes of the fire, spent part of the day in this city. During the fire a ladder was put across an alley between the hotel and an adjoining building and on this flimsy structure, far above the ground, Mr. Wells assisted in safely moving fourteen unconscious girls to a place of safety. The night was a cold one, but Mr. Wells took off both of his coats and placed them on the ladder to facilitate the work. This exposure, to which he voluntarily exposed himself, cost him dearly. It resulted in the loss of his speech for some time, a condition for which he has never fully recovered. In recognition of his services at the fire the people of Milwaukee presented him with a gold watch, which he still carries, and on the outside case of which is an engraving of the Newhall house. At the tie of the fire Mr. Wells was about thirty years of age. For the last twenty-five years he has been traveling for the Goodyear Rubber Company and is well known to dealers in this part of the state.

Between 75 and 80 persons lost their lives in the fire-the exact number was never known. Among the dead were Judge Reed, one of the pioneers in the construction of the Wisconsin Central, and also two passenger conductors of the same road.



Charles H. Wilcox, one of the most prominent marine engineers of Milwaukee, and who has sailed the lakes for thirty-two years in different capacities, was born in Buffalo, N.Y., September 8, 1851, a son of Don C. and Nancy (Ramsey) Wilcox, who were natives of New York State.

The father was one of the most efficient stewards during the days of the elegant passenger steamers Western World, Plymouth Rock, and St. Lawrence, and officiated in that capacity of those steamers and on many others. He went to Milwaukee about 1861 as steward on the old side-wheel steamer Milwaukee, then plying in connection with the Detroit and Milwaukee Railroad Company. He was also a trusted express messenger on the Buffalo & Erie, Cleveland & Erie, and the Philadelphia & Erie railroads, and traveled many a time by a stage before railroads were built. He was killed in a railroad accident.

Charles H. Wilcox attended the old No. 14 School at Buffalo, until thirteen years of age, when he shipped as cabin boy on the steamer Winona, then plying in connection with the New York Central railroad, retaining that berth two seasons. His next berth as cabin boy was on the steamer Sheboygan, of the Goodrich line, when she came out in 1869. He then entered the employ of the Ingleman Transportation Company as fireman on the steamer Messenger, after which he transferred to the Ironsides, and was with her when she was wrecked, and twenty-three lives were lost; out of the engineer's crew of eight Mr. Wilcox, oiler, George Cowan, first engineer, and one fireman were all that were saved. After the loss of the Ironsides, he shipped on the propeller Bertchy as oiler, and was with her when she went on North Point, near Milwaukee. After receiving his first license as engineer, he was appointed second engineer on the steamer Manistee, plying between Duluth and Marquette, which berth he held for two seasons. It was on this boat that he had previously filled the position of oiler, and was on her when she was locked in the ice in Lake Michigan for sixty-four days, and suffered severely from the extreme cold, and from lack of food. He was on the side-wheel City of Toledo when she went on the beach at Manistee. He then went to Milwaukee and engaged in tugging out of that port, first with the Independent Tug line as engineer of the F.C. Maxon for two seasons, followed by four seasons on the tug Hagerman, of the Milwaukee Tug Boat Company, and in 1881 he brought out new the tug W.H. Wolf, running her five seasons in Chicago harbor, after which he again engineered the tug Hagerman three seasons.

In the spring of 1889 Mr. Wilcox was appointed chief engineer of the Goodrich steamer Menominee. That winter he entered the employ of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad Company as chief engineer of the F. & P.M. No. 2, and remained with that company until September, 1895, during which time he was chief of No. 2, and No. 5, respectively. The next year he was appointed chief engineer of the Ann Arbor car ferry steamer No. 2, plying between Frankfort, Menominee, Kewaunee and Gladstone, on which he remained until February, 1896, when he was appointed chief engineer of the steamer Frank L. Vance, remaining on her two seasons. In the spring of 1898 Mr. Wilcox was appointed chief of the steamer Fred Pabst, holding that office until he received the appointment he now holds, that of chief engineer of elevator E., owned by the Milwaukee Elevator Company.

He is the holder of twenty-six issues of licenses, including that of 1898. His residence is at No. 991 Orchard street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Source: History of the Great Lakes, Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899



Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

Dr. F. M. Wilcox came to Milwaukee from the lead regions. He was said to have been an excellent physician and had no time except for his professional work. He was a resident of the city for about four years, during which time he took an active part in medical societies, his name appearing as one of the signers of the constitution of the Milwaukee City Medical Association, which was organized in the summer of 1845.



foreman of the Milwaukee Ship-yard Company, was born in Knottingley, Yorkshire, England; August 5, 1826. Served his apprenticeship in the yard of Thomas Humphrey of Kingston upon Hull, Yorkshire; came to the United States in 1852, made his home in Cleveland, was foreman in Quale & Martin's ship-yard of that city, and worked at ship-building near Cleveland till 1872 when he came to Milwaukee and engaged at the ship-yards of Wolf & Davidson. He then built the tug DEXTER on a sub-contract after he engaged with the ship-building company of Allan, McClellan & Co.; worked with the company until it was dissolved, and then engaged with the new company for some time. HE then went to California where he remained one year and five months. Returning to Milwaukee, resumed work for the Milwaukee Ship-yard Company, and has continued with this company in his present position during the greater part of the time, up to the present. His residence is No. 220 First avenue.




Born at Treban farm, Bryngwran, Anglesea, Wales, in 1839. Son of Robert and Margaret Williams . Emigrated to America in 1857 and settled for a year or two at Waukesha, Wis., thence went to Caledonia, Wis. In 1860 he removed to Filmore county, Minn., where he still resides. In 1861 he married Miss Jane Owen, of Caledonia, Wis. Mr. and Mrs. Williams were about the first Welsh settlers in Filmore county. They are honest, thrifty people. Mr. Williams is a bard of some note.

Source: The History of the Welsh in Minnesota, Foreston and Lime Springs, Ia. Gathered by the Old Settlers". Editors: Rev. Thomas E. Hughes, Rev. David Edwards, Hugh G. Roberts, Thomas Hughes. Published in 1895. Page 289

PHOTO of Margaret Williams included in book



of the schooner "JOSEPH PAGE," was born in Carnorvonshire, North Wales, March 12, 1835; came to the United States in 1845, with his parents; spent nearly a year in Cincinnati; the family then moved to Wisconsin, locating in Waukesha County. After one year they returned to Cincinnati. A year and a half later they returned to Wisconsin. Mr. Williams was first employed on the old steamer "TRAVELER," plying between Chicago, Milwaukee and Sheboygan in 1851; in 1852 sailed before the mast on the little schooner of the same name ("TRAVELER") in the lumber trade, being mate of the schooners "REPUBLIC," "FALCON," and "ARETURUS;" was made master of the "RACINE" in August 1864; sailed her two season. In the Spring of 1867 he took command of the bark "GLENBEULAH;" sailed her till she was destroyed in the Chicago fire of October, 1871. Capt. Williams was a resident of Chicago at the time, and his home was burned, the family escaping with only the clothes they had on. The balance of the season the captain spent as master of the bark "ST. LAWRENCE"; after the fire, moved to Milwaukee. The season of 1872 sailed the bark "PARANA;" then engaged as master of the schooner "JOSEPH PAGE," capacity 625 tons; has sailed her eight years. Residence No. 216 Huron street.

Source: History of Milwaukee County, 1881

Captain William R. Williams, whose marine life began in 1851, may be considered as one of the veteran masters now active on shipboard, his remarkable vigor, however, making him seem tireless in the performance of his duties. He is a son of David and Eleanor (Williams) Williams, both natives of Conway, North Wales, where he also was born, on March 12, 1835. They came to the United States in 1845, locating first in Cincinnati, Ohio, remaining in that city but one year, going thence to Waukesha, Wis., where the father purchased a farm. He did not enjoy this new home a great while, as he crossed the dark river in 1847, his widow surviving until 1891.

At Waukesha and Milwaukee, William acquired a public-school education, attending until he was sixteen years of age, when he shipped before the mast in the schooner Traveler. The next spring he joined the schooner Daniel Newhall with Capt. Charles Lewis, and in the spring of 1854 came out in the D.O. Dickinson, closing in the Milwaukee Belle with the same skipper, and shipped in the same schooner the next season with Capt. Thomas Davis. In 1856 Captain Williams went to New Orleans and shipped in the schooner William Pratt, plying on the Gulf of Mexico between Galveston and New Orleans and Havana; he closed the year in the bark William A. Alden out of New York. Returning to the lakes in 1857, he was appointed mate of the schooner Walrus, closing the season in the Falcon, both commanded by Capt. J. Fitzgerald, and remaining on her until 1861, when he was appointed master of the smart brig Racine, of Racine, and sailed her three seasons. The next vessel of which he became master was the schooner, Glenbulah, which he bought out in 1867, and sailed successfully until she was destroyed by the great fire at Chicago in 1871. He then transferred to the bark St. Lawrence, on which he closed that season. The next year he was appointed master of the bark Parana. In the spring of 1873 Captain Williams entered the employ of R.P. Fitzgerald as master of the schooner Joseph Paige, which he sailed twenty successive seasons, the vessel having changed owners in the meantime. It is unnecessary to say that good business success attended the captain while making this notable record. In 1893 he was appointed master of the schooner M.R. Warner. The next year he went to Yellowstone Park and took command of the steamer Cella. In the spring of 1895 he entered the employ of the Milwaukee Tug Boat Company, as master of the schooner Amboy, and has sailed her four consecutive seasons, thus rounding out forty-seven years of active service as mariner, being master thirty-seven years.

Socially, the Captain is a veteran Royal Arch Mason, of Wisconsin Chapter No. 7, and a Master Mason, of Wisconsin Lodge No. 13.

In January, 1861, Captain Williams was wedded to Miss Ellen H. Williams, of Milwaukee. The children born to this union are: Mary and Alice, the former being the wife of George Anderson. The Captain has four grandchildren. The family homestead is at No. 260 Twentieth street, Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Source: History of the Great Lakes, Vol. 2 by J.B. Mansfield Published Chicago: J.H. Beers & Co. 1899



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Frederick C. Winkler, son of Carl and Elizabeth (Overbeck) Winkler, was born in Bremen, Germany, March 15, 1838, his parents then residing "in that city. The father came to the United States in 1842, locating in Milwaukee, where he opened a drug store. Two years later he was joined by his wife and children, and Frederick C. Was reared in that city, obtaining his education in the public schools, which, although greatly inferior to those of the present day, offered advantages superior to those to be obtained elsewhere in Wisconsin in the territorial and early statehood days. He began his legal studies at the age of eighteen in the office of H. L. Palmer, and at the age of twenty he removed to Madison and continued his studies in the office of Abbott, Gregory & Pinney, being admitted to the bar at Madison on April 19, 1859. Returning to Milwaukee he began the practice of his profession in his home city and had entered upon a most promising career when the breaking out of the civil war changed his plans for a time. The twenty-sixth Wisconsin infantry, a German regiment, was organized in Milwaukee and vicinity, and F. C. Winkler became captain of Company G. It was mustered in on Sept. 17, 1862, left the state Oct. 6, following, and joined the movement toward the Rappahannock, spending the winter in drill, guard and picket duty. It participated in the battle of Chancellorsville, May 2, 1863, the men fighting like veterans, and was at Gettysburg, July 1 to 3, Captain Winkler being attached to the staff of general Schurz. In a report of this battle one authority says that the twenty-sixth "fought like demons," and in this engagement both the lieutenant-colonel and major of the regiment were wounded. Captain Winkler then became acting field officer. After the battle of Chickamauga, Sept. 20 and 21, the regiment was sent with general hooker's forces from the army of the Potomac to the relief of General Rosecrans at Chattanooga. In November following the Colonel left the organization, and from that time until the close of the war, Captain Winkler was in command, and was advanced to the rank of colonel. The regiment under his command took part in the Battle of Mission Ridge in November, 1863, and the campaign into east Tennessee for the relief of Knoxville which followed it. In the spring of 1864, when Gen. Sherman organized his army for the invasion of Georgia, it became part of the third brigade, third division of the twentieth corps, of which the command was given to General Hooker. It thenceforth took part in all of General Sherman's campaigns, fought many skirmishes and took part in nearly every battle. Perhaps its severest struggle was at Peachtree Creek, July 20, 1864. Of that action the official report of Colonel Wood, then commander of the brigade, contains the following: "where all behaved well it may be regarded as invidious to call attention to individuals, yet it seems to me that I cannot discharge my whole duty in this report without pointing out for especial commendation, the conduct of the twenty-Sixth Wisconsin volunteer infantry, and its brave and able commander. The position of this regiment in the line was such that the brunt of the attack on this brigade fell upon it. The brave, skillful and determined manner in which it met the attack, rolled back the onset and pressed forward in a counter-charge and drove back the enemy could not be excelled by the troops in this or any other army, and is worthy of the highest commendation and praise. It is to be hoped that such conduct will be held up as an example for others, and will meet its appropriate reward."(Annual report of Wis. Adjt. Gen. For 1864, p. 80.) The regiment marched with Sherman to the sea, and from Savannah through the Carolinas to Richmond, participating in hot fighting at Averasboro and Bentonville. It took part in the grand review in Washington, then proceeded to Milwaukee, where it was mustered out on June 28, 1865, Colonel Winkler being brevetted brigadier-general of volunteers "for meritorious service." Gen. William Cogswell, of Massachusetts, then in command of the brigade, in his final report to the war department, mentioned the Twenty-Sixth Wisconsin as "one of the finest military organizations in the service." Before the command of the regiment fell to his hands, Captain Winkler gave a large measure of his time to duties as judge advocate of many courts-martial, charged at times with the trial of the most weighty offenses. In five or six cases it became his duty to certify to headquarters sentences of death ; all but two of these were commuted. In the court of inquiry to investigate certain reflections on Maj.-Gen. Carl Schurz and a part of his command, contained in General Hooker's official report of the night battle at Wauhatchie in lookout valley, Colonel Winkler was, at the request of General Schurz, appointed his counsel, and as a result of the inquiry General Schurz and his subordinate. Col. F. Hecker, were "fully exonerated from the strictures contained in General Hooker's report. " After leaving the military service General Winkler resumed the practice at his profession, and has been for the past forty years one the leading attorneys of the city, Messrs. A. R. R. Butler, James Jenkins, T. B. Elliott. A. A. L. Smith, John T. Fish, Edward P. Vilas, James G. Flanders, E. H. Bottum and C. F. Fawsett having been at different times associated with him as partners. During the last ten years or more he has given a large portion of his time to the northwestern mutual life insurance company, being a trustee and member of the finance and executive committees of that board. In politics he has always supported the Republican party. His marriage to Miss Frances M. Wightman occurred in 1864, and six daughters and three sons have been born to the union. In character General Winkler is a man who commands the widest respect and admiration. His devotion to duty as a soldier exhibits the same qualities of courage, firmness, energy and faithfulness to the trusts reposed in him that have marked his life as a citizen and a professional man. He is an aide jurist and has won in his profession the large success commensurate with his ability. In social life he is a refined and cultured gentleman.



Source: The Medical History of Milwaukee, By Louis Frederick Frank. Published 1915. Germania Publishing Co.

Performer of first nephrectomy in America, patriot, public-spirited citizen, humanitarian.

Dr. Erastus B. Wolcott was born Oct. 18th, 1804, in Benton, 1N. Y., a lineal descendant of Gov. Oliver W., one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence. He graduated from the Med. Coll.of Western New York in 1829. In 1835 he was appointed assistant surgeon of the army and not long after was stationed at Mackinaw. Resigning his commission in 1838 he settled in Milwaukee, where he practised his profession until the time of his death, Jan. 5th, 1880. Prominent as a physician he took the keenest interest in medical affairs of every nature, being a faithful attendant of the early Territorial and State Societies held in winter at Madison, when the state roads and public conveyances were anything but inviting. He was a member of the Milwaukee County Medical Society when first organized in 1846 and among the originators of the first local society, the "Milwaukee City Medical Association," in 1845. His personality is intimately connected with the Wis. State Med. Soc., in which he occupied every position of honor. Further marks of public distinction are the following: Surgeon-General of the State Militia 1842, Maj.-Gen. of the first Div. of Wis. Militia 1846, Regent of the State Univ. 1850, member of the board of trustees of the N. W. Mut. Life Ins. Co. 1858, and consulting director, trustee of the State Insane Hosp. 1860, one of the Board of Managers of the National Home 1866, representative of the state at the International Exposition in Paris 1867, and first vice-pres. of the Humane Society, in the object and work of which he was much interested. His war record is an enviable one and the greatest tribute paid was the deserved compliment of naming the Grand Army Post in Milwaukee in his honor, the E. B. Wolcott Post No. 1 G. A. R.

In surgery he soon acquired a reputation which spread to the remote settlements, his skill and ingenuity aiding him to devise novel methods for the relief of suffering humanity. His most celebrated operation was the removal of a kidney, on June 4th, 1861, with the assistance of Dr. Chas. L. Stoddard, the first operation of nephrectomy t recorded. But his memory will live in the hearts of thousands to whom he has been an "angel of good," whom with kind-hearted words of encouragement "he restoreth with good advice and little medicine."

In 1836 Dr. Wolcott married Elisabeth Dousman, who died in 1860, leaving a son and a daughter. In 1869 he married Dr. Laura J. Ross, one of the first women, who broke through the phalanx of prejudice and precedent, which forbade women from the medical profession, in whom he found a most perfect partner and friend.

Dr. Wolcott died at the ripe age of seventy-six, but with undiminished faculties, on Jan. 5th, 1880, from an illness caused by exposure to extreme dampness and cold. The funeral was to have been quiet and private, but when he was to be interred, the judges and rulers of a state of which he was a citizen, the elders of the city, yea the community demanded that special honors be paid to his memory, and never was there a more memorable funeral marked by true grief and reverence.

With his demise an exceptionally rare man passed away. Coming from an ancestry, conspicuous in statecraft, diplomacy and the learned profession, from an aristocracy of intellect (not of blood), there came to him the probity, wisdom, courage and patriotism of many generations of picked men. Harmoniously blended with the nobility of thought and heart was the external appearance of this exceptional personality, his conspicuous figure, attracting attention everywhere, tall, straight as an arrow, elastic in movement and with a manner that had far more about it of the courtier than the pioneer. Men of courage, men of sense and men of letters are frequent ; but a true gentleman is rare.

And thus he bore without abuse
The grand old name of gentleman
Defamed by every charlatan
and soiled with all ignoble use.

"He was a man, take him for all in all," and the foremost citizen of the city of his adoption. Will Milwaukee particularly its medical profession, become alive to his value by honoring him and themselves with an appropriate monument to his memory.



of the firm of Wolf & Davidson was born in Germany. He came to Milwaukee in 1849 and made a shore stay; then spent four years in other portions of the United States. Returning to Milwaukee in 1853, he engaged with J.M. Jones in the ship-yard, as foreman. In 1858 he entered into partnership with Theodore Lawrence, under the firm name of Wolf & Lawrence. In 1863 the firm sold out to Ellsworth & Davidson. Mr. Wolf was at Fort Howard during 1863-1868, having built the side-wheel steamer GEORGE L. DUNLAP, running between Green Bay and Escanaba, before the completion of the Chicago and Northwestern Railway. The propeller FAVORITE, schooner COLUMBIA, WINNIE WING, LOTTIE WOLF and MINNIE SLAWSON were also engaged in the lumber business during the same time. Mr. Wolf bought out Mr. Ellsworth in 1868, and the present firm of Wolf & Davidson was formed. Residence No. 236 Oneida street.




second foreman of Wolf & Davidson's ship-yard, was born in Milwaukee in 1857; learned his trade with this company, commencing April, 1873, and has been foreman since 1878. His residence is No. 393 Grove street.




This man was noted for his laziness, in which he surpassed all the white men in Wisconsin. He was of medium height, heavy moulded(sic); walked into a half-swinging gait, with his head moving from side to side, much as does the ox. He would eat anything that came in his way, but would not work if he could help it. The last time I ever saw Tim, was at Mequan, thirty years ago, where he had a claim. It was a matter of necessity for him to keep in advance of civilization, as in a city like this he would have been run over every day. No man that ever lived in Milwaukee, was the victim of more tricks, by the wild young men of '36, than Tim Wooden, except Hoosier John, and I very much doubt if he as much calomel as they gave John, would have had any effect upon him. It might have rolled him over, but it certainly would not have drove him up. When he got placed in a comfortable position, nothing short of gun-powder or nitro-glycerine(sic)would ever have started him. Poor Tim! he died of cholera in '49.

Source: Pioneer History Of Milwaukee by James S. Buck, 1876 Vol. 1



Source:Memoirs of Milwaukee County : from the earliest historical times down to the present, including a genealogical and biographical record of representative families in Milwaukee County (1909), By Jerome Anthony Watrous

Clement Blake Bergin Wright, a prominent Episcopal clergyman of Milwaukee, and canon and chancellor of All Saints' cathedral, was born at Montreal, Canada, on Jan. 9, 1871, the son of William and Margaret Mason (Harbeson) Wright. His parents were both natives of Quebec, Canada, and his father formerly held the chair of medicine in McGill University of Montreal, Canada; his mother died at Montreal in 1900. Both his paternal and maternal grandparents were natives of England and came to Canada with the British army. His paternal grandfather held an important position in the office of the Secretary of War for Canada.

In September, 1892, Mr. Wright came to the United States, coming direct to Milwaukee, where he has resided ever since. Canon Wright received a most thorough education, first in the high school of Montreal, where he graduated in 1887, and then attended Bishop's University of Lennoxville, Canada, and was graduated there in 1890 with the degree of B. A. He was also a student at Trinity University, which conferred upon him the degree of B. A. in 1890, and M. A. in 1892; in 1904 the University of Toronto conferred upon him the degree of M. A. He was a student at the Nashotah Theological Seminary, Wis., in 1892-93 and received the degree of B. D. from this institution in 1895, and in 1901 secured the degree of Ph. D. from the University of Kansas City, on examination and thesis submitted. He was ordained to the diaconate in 1893 and to the priesthood on March 10, 1895, by Bishop Nicholson. He was an assistant at All Saints' cathedral from 1893 to 1905, and since then has been canon and chancellor, performing the duties of canon. Ever since the year 1894 he has served as secretary of the diocese, and was secretary to Bishop Nicholson at the time of his recent death. He is also editor of the Church Times, the monthly organ of the Episcopal Diocese, published in Milwaukee, and has acted in that capacity ever since 1895.

Canon Wright was married on July 31, 1900, to Miss Alice Elizabeth Button, daughter of Henry H. and Elizabeth Button, of Milwaukee, and they have one son, William Harrison Bergin. The well-known scholarly attainments of Canon Wright have brought him into association with numerous learned societies, and he takes on an active interest in all that pertains to the work of these bodies. He is a life member of the Wisconsin State Historical Society and a member of the Wisconsin Academy of Science, Arts and Letters, and the Wisconsin Archaeological Society. Mr. Wright is still a young man in the prime of life, possessed of brilliant parts, and with his capacity for work and his pleasing personality, should have a bright future before him.