Milwaukee Schools1848-49 1857
1848-49 Milwaukee City Directory
The Public Schools of the City of Milwaukee are under the charge of a Board of Commissioners, appointed by the Common Council, for three years. By an act of the Legislature of Wisconsin passed in 1846, in relation to the Public schools of Milwaukee, the Mayor and Common Council are required to raise annually by tax on all the real and personal property of the city, such sum as the Board of School Commissioners shall certify to be necessary for the support and maintenance of the Common Schools in the city, during each year, and in their discretion such futher sum of the Commissioners may certify to be required for purposes of erection, alteration, repairs, or furniture of school houses, provided that the aggregate amount so raised by tax for school purposes shall not exceed in any one year, one fourth of one per cent on all taxable property in the city.
The Board of School Commissioners was organized under this act, in April 1846, and schools were opened in the several Wards of the City, during the ensuing months of June and July. Since that time, with but few interruptions there have been from 6 to 8 Public Schools, in operation, and free to all. During the year ending April 1st, 1848, there were eight schools in operation, and an average daily attendance of 670 scholars and an aggregate list of 865 do. The entire expenditure for the same period, on account of schools, was $3512.99, all of which was realized from the tax authorized by the Law of 1846.
The number of children, between the ages of 5 and 16, in the sevaral wards of the city, on 1st January 1847, and the 1st January 1848 were as follows:
Jan'y 1, 1847 Jan'y 1, 1848 1st Ward 588 727 2nd Ward 627 720 3rd Ward 376 482 4th Ward 250 361 5th Ward 285 573 ---------------- ----------------- 2128 2863
BOARD OF SCHOOL COMMISSIONERS FOR 1857
1857-58 Milwaukee City Directory
Erving, Burdick & Co. 205 and 207 East Water Street
George S. Mallory, President John A. Seger, Secretary Commissioners: S. Chapman, D. Culligan, J. Hadley 1st Ward C. F. Bode, John Noll, J. B. Selby, Jr. 2nd Ward E. ONeill, J. Shortell, J. Horan 3rd Ward J. Taylor, S. L. Elmore, John A. Seger 4th Ward C. H. Larkin, D. C. Reed, A. Mitchell 5th Ward F. Kuehn, B. Church, D. Daggett 6th Ward A. Bade, G. S. Mallory, H. Schwarting 7th Ward E. G. Hayden, A. Miller, G. Burnham 8th Ward S. Brown, W. De Vos, J. H. Lippert 9th Ward Executive Committee: S. Chapman 1st Ward C. F. Bode 2nd Ward J. Horan 3rd Ward J. A. Seger 4th Ward D. C. Reed 5th Ward B. Church 6th Ward A. Bade 7th Ward G. Burnham 8th Ward Samuel Brown 9th Ward Finance Committee: Messrs. Schwarting, Selby, ONeill, Kuehn, Miller Library Committee: Messrs. Hayden, Lippert, Noll, Shortell, Culligan Examining Committee: Messrs. Chapman, Bade, Hadley, Larkin, Mitchell Committee on Text Books: Messrs. Taylor, De Vos, Daggett, Elmore, Chapman
THE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
The following is the list of teachers appointed to the Public Schools of this city for the year 1857:
FIRST WARD SCHOOL HOUSE NW cor Division and Van Buren Streets Principal Department George W. McWhorter, Principal Miss S. E. Dewey, First Assistant Miss E. Graham, Second Assistant Intermediate Department Miss S. L. Porter, Principal Miss F. Duggan, Assistant Primary Department Miss C. Kavanaugh, Principal Miss M. Quinn, Assistant THIRD WARD SCHOOL HOUSE NE cor Detroit and Jackson Streets Principal Department F. C. Pomeroy, Principa; Miss Mary E. Boylan, First Assistant Miss C. Gilbert, Second Assistant Intermediate Department C. C. Mahoney, Principal Miss Gilbert, Assistant Primary Department Miss Anna E. Mitchell, Principal Miss Josephine Porter, First Assistant Miss M. A. Jennett, Second Assistant FOURTH WARD SCHOOL HOUSE NW cor Eighth and Sycamore Streets Principal Department C. K. Martin, Principal Miss E. J. Teale, Assistant Intermediate Department Miss Baldwin, Principal Miss Isabelle Rogers, Assistant Primary Department Miss Sackett, Principal Miss L. Teed, Assistant FIFTH WARD SCHOOL HOUSE NW cor Virginia and Greenbush Streets Principal Department J. E. Batemen, Principal Miss Sarah H. Drake, Assistant Intermediate Department Miss A. D. Mitchell, Principal Miss B. Morry, Assistant Primary Department Miss C. A. Alnard, Principal Miss Nancy Packard, Assistant SIXTH WARD SCHOOL HOUSE Fourth, bt Cherry and Galena Streets Principal Department H. W. Spaulding, Principal Miss J. Davis, First Assistant Miss H. Clarke, Second Assistant Intermediate Department Miss H. Upham, Principal Miss M. Phelps, Assistant Primary Department Miss E. F. Greenleaf, Principal Miss A. E. Vandyke, First Assistant Miss E. L. Marsh, Second Assistant NINTH WARD Miss E. H. Langdon, Principal Miss Rice, Assistant THE UNIVERSITY OF MILWAUKEE - On Main, bt Mason and Oneida Streets. This is an incorporated institution with full university powers. Its present faculty consists of: Rev. Charles Wiley, D. D., Chancellor G. S. Lord Starks, A. M., professor of ancient languages Geo. Bosworth, professor of mathematics Rev. N. Dauber, professor of mathematics I. French, A. M., professor of mathematics Theodore B. Elliott, principal of the primary department and instructor in the German language.
The growth of this institution has been concurrent with the growth and prosperity of the community, and it now bids fair to be a city university highly eligible in its location, and not inferior in literary advantages to any in the State.
THE MILWAUKEE FEMALE COLLEGE
On Milwaukee near Division Street, has been in successful operation for six years. It possesses a college charter, a library and apparatus, and property to the amount of $20,000. There are at present eight experienced teachers employed in this institution.
I. A. Lapham, President J. H. Van Dyke, Vice President Chas. F. Ilsley, Treasurer W. R. Freeman, Secretary Trustees: 1st Class. Term expires in 1857 J. H. Van Dyke, C. F. Ilsley, Peter Martineau, S. B. Grant, Wm. E. Cramer 2nd Class. Term expires in 1858 Wm. P. Lynde, E. Cramer, M. B. Medberry, John Cummings, O. H. Waldo 3rd Class. Term expires in 1859 I. A. Lapham, C. Comstock, John Lockwood, J. H. Rogers, D. Newhall Instructors: Miss Caroline E. Chapin, Normal Department and Teacher of Mental Science Miss M. E. Hill, Teacher of Geography, History, &c. Miss S. E. Huntington, Department of Classification, Teacher of Grammar, Compositions, and Belles Lettres Miss M. E. Chapin, Teacher of Natural Science and Mathematics Miss Mary A. Small, Teacher of Latin Mr. N. Dauber, Teacher of French and Music
THE CONVENT OF THE SCHOOL SISTERS OF NOTRE DAME
has, in connection with the same, an academy for young ladies, whether boarders or day scholars.