St. James Episcopal Church
Source: The Episcopal Church in Wisconsin, 1847-1947 : a history of the Diocese of Milwaukee by Harold Ezra Wagner; 1947; pg. 269.
The earliest recorded date of an Episcopal priest's visit to West Bend was July 5, 1852 when the Rev. A. Hamilton performed a marriage ceremony there. In 1870 the plot of ground upon which the church and rectory are situated was given by Mr. Wrightman with the provision that it should never be sold. It was his intention that there should always be an Episcopal Church in West Bend. The first priest to make recurrent trips to West Bend to hold services in the little white-framed church called Saint James was the Rev. Fr. Wilkinson of St. James, Milwaukee.
On February 13, 1932 this frame building was destroyed by fire. Under the able leadership and direction of Father Albert Frost the church was immedately rebuilt. The present structure is of Wisconsin brick and Lanon stone with the interior of knotty pine. On July 20, 1932, just six months after the fire, Bishop Ivins, The Very Rev. E. J. M. Nutter, Dean of Nashotah House, and Father Frost presided over the ceremonies of laying the corner-stone.
In May, 1946 the Rev. Frederick Ludtke became the first resident priest to live in the rectory since 1910.
Episcopal Church (St. James')
Location: West Bend
Source: History of Washington and Ozaukee Counties, Wisconsin; Western Historical Company; 1881; pg. 406
The church is a mission church connected with the Milwaukee Diocese. The chapel was built in 1870. The first officiating clergyman was Rev. Wilkinson. He was succeeded by Rev. E. R. Ward, who held occasional services till 1880. Services are now held at irregular intervals by Rev. Dr. Ashley, of Milwaukee. The church is small, embracing not over a dozen families.
St. James's Congregation
Source: Washington County, Wisconsin : past and present; by Quickert, Carl, ed Publisher Chicago, copyright 1912 : S.J. Clarke Publishing Co.
The parish for a long time had been a mission of the Milwaukee diocese. Later it was served by resident ministers. The last one of these was Rev. Johannes Salinger, a jovial old gentleman. Under his rectorate the parsonage was built and other improvements made on the church property. The chapel was built in 1870. At present  it is again a mission church, and its membership is very small.