Source: The Blue Book of the State of Wisconsin Compiled and Published under the direction of J. D. Beck, Commissioner of Labor and Industrial Statistics 1907. The Wisconsin Blue Book. VII. Biographical Sketches. The Wisconsin Legislature. Assembly, p. 1139
Contributed to this site by Lori Niemuth
HERMAN L. KERN, Speaker; C. E. SHAFFER, Chief Clerk; W. S. IRVINE, Sergeant-at-Arms. The assembly consists of 100 members. They are chosen biennially and receive $500 for their services during their term. The speaker is chosen by the members and receives an additional $500 for his services as speaker. The assembly of 1907 contains 76 republicans, 19 democrats, and 5 social democrats.
Washington County. (p. 1173-1174) One District. Population, 1900 - 23,589.
B. S. POTTER (Dem.) was born in the town of Elba, Genesee county, N.Y., Feb. 3, 1836. He came to West Bend in 1856 and clerked in a general store from that time until 1860, when he engaged in the mercantile business for himself, which business he conducted until 1878 when he sold out and became connected with a wholesale grocery house in the capacity of commercial traveler. In 1883 he entered into the milling business and continued in that business until six years ago. He is now engaged in the real estate business in West Bend. He is president of the Advancement Association. In 1884 was a delegate to the democratic national convention at Chicago. Had never sought or held office until elected member of assembly in 1902, receiving a majority over his opponent, Ph. G. Duerrwaechter (Rep.) of 166. Was reelected in 1904 receiving a majority of 246 over his opponent, Ole Halverson (Rep.). Was reelected in 1906 over his opponent, Dow Maxon (Rep.) by a majority of 1124. At the special session of the legislature in 1903 was appointed and served as one of the assembly members of the committee to investigate life insurance companies doing business in this state.
Source: History of Vernon County, Wisconsin: together with sketches of its towns, villages and townships, educational, civil, military and political history; portraits of prominent persons, and biographies of representative citizens; 1884.† pg. 658
Christian Puls came to Wisconsin in 1851, locating in Washington county, where he bought timber land of the government. He cleared a farm, erected a log house and barn, and lived there until 1862, when he purchased a farm of John Whitney, on section 2, town 11 north, of range 6 west, known as Sterling town (Vernon County). Mr. Pals has given considerable attention to fruit growing and has a fine orchard. He was married, Feb. 1, 1852, to Christena Tuegel, born in Marienburg, Germany. They have six childrenóCaroline, born Nov. 9, 1853, John, born May 3, 1858, Annie, born July 25, 1862, Mary, born Oct. II, 1866, Jimmy, born March 17, 1869, and George, born Feb. 25,1873.