From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880Back to Main Index
EDWIN ALLEN, farmer, Sec. 30; P. O. North Prairie; born in Trimpton Broadwindsor, Dorsetshire, England, Feb. 18, 1818; in March, 1845, in company with his wife, he left South Perrot, England, for America; landing at New York, they came, via the Erie Canal and the lakes, to Wisconsin; reaching Genesee on Saturday night, he bought 80 acres of his present farm the next, Monday; about 13 acres were broken; the young couple spent their first year in a "claim shanty," 10x12, which still stands as a landmark; it had a shanty roof, and would hardly accommodate their scant furniture; Mr. Allen and the Pauls had three oxen each, and, by combining them, made out a breaking-team; Mr. Allen did real work here, added 64 acres the second year, built a good frame house and barn, etc.; has steadily added to his land, now owning 194 acres, with two good barns and other substantial improvements. His wife was born in Beaminster, Yorkshire, Oct. 8, 1815; married Nov. 8, 1842; they have four children - Susan J., William B., Mary II, and James A.; the family are Episcopalians in belief. Mr. Allen is in politics a Democrat, and has been many years Assessor and Supervisor; he has 105 merino sheep, cattle, hogs, etc., and has been an extensive dealer and breeder in fine horses; his eldest son is married and settled as a Dakota farmer.
HENRY BOWMAN, merchant and Postmaster, Genesee; born in Staffordshire, England, Jan. 13, 1829; spent his early life as s farmer in his native land, left Liverpool, England, on the good ship Waterloo, June the 28th, 1850, for the United States; the famous Italian patriots, Mazzini and Garibaldi, were his fellow-voyagers; the Waterloo reaching New York City after a thirty days' run, Mr. Bowman came direct to Genesee, via Milwaukee; began life here as a laborer, threshing grain on a barn floor during the first winter, at $7 per month; the next summer he worked at his trade of carpenter, at $9 per month; chopped cordwood the second winter, at 30 cents per cord, and thus worked his way up; for fourteen years this man worked at any and every thing which would earn an honest penny, splitting rails like a second Lincoln, sheep-shearing, farm work, etc.; the means thus earned enabled him, in 1864, to open business in Genesee, buying the stock of P. Barker, and, in 1865, the store of James Hamilton; did business here until 1873, when he bought the old Treadway Hotel, and with it the adjoining storeroom, built by W. D. Medbury; Mr. Bowman began with a capital of $500, and the same dauntless spirit which enabled him to earn it, has constantly increased his business, be carrying the only stock in the village, embracing dry goods, groceries, drugs and medicines, boots and shoes, hardware, glassware, crockery, lotions, etc.; is also agent for the Continental Insurance Company, and is doing a good and satisfactory business. His wife was Miss Harriet J. Paul, of Somersetshire, England, she coming to America with her parents, John and Mary Paul, in 1841, they remaining in New York State until 1843, when they located in Genesee, Mr. Bowman and Miss Paul uniting their destinies in the fall of 1854; they have two children - Mary (Mrs. Eugene Proctor) and Henry; have also lost a son. Mr. B. is a supporter of the local churches, and a steadfast Republican; has been Chairman of Genesee, and Postmaster here sixteen years; has also held minor offices, and is regarded as one of Genesee's staunchest temperance men.
JOHN BRATLAY, farmer, Secs. 29 and 28; P. O. North Prairie; born in Dunnington-on-Bain, Lincolnshire, England, April 16, 1821; early life spent as a farm laborer; came to America in 1851, and at once to Mukwonago, where he worked in Galbraith's flax mill one year; he then engaged in farming for fourteen years in Concord, Jefferson Co., Wis. Married, in 1851, in Jericho, Miss Sarah Upton Howard, who died in Concord, 1856, leaving two children - John and Sarah E.; John married Miss Ellen Brown, of North Prairie, and is now in charge of the homestead; the daughter is now Mrs. Henry Paul, of Genesee, Mr. Bratlay married again, Mrs. Mary Paul, widow of John Paul, who, at his death, left seven children - Mary (Mrs. McKinzie); John, now in Dunn Co., Wis.; Sarah J. (Mrs. McWalters); George, also in Dunn Co.; Anne, now Mrs. Studley; Mathew P. and Martha, who are also dead. John Bratlay reached Wisconsin almost penniless; began as a laborer and a renter, went into debt $1,600 on his first farm, was unable to hold it, but, by selling, saved himself; has owned several farms in Concord; the year 1865 was a notable one with him, as he owned and successfully worked his Concord farm and his present homestead; his only help was his 12-year-old son, they working by day, and driving from one farm to the other by night, the profits of the farms and a splendid hop-yard that summer being $4,000; has since sold the Concord farm, and now has a homestead of 178 acres, mostly cultivated, and with excellent buildings; all that need be said is, that he has always paid 100 cents on the dollar. The family are Methodists, he being Trustee and Steward. Mr. Bratlay is, politically, independent.
JOSEPH DODGE, farmer, Sec. 26; P. O. Genesee; born in the town of Andover, Windsor Co, Vt., Feb. 19, 1806; fifteen years of his life were spent as a shoemaker, in Mt. Holly, Vt., where, he married Miss Lucy White, who died, leaving him three children - Emily, Joseph E. and Elbridge. In 1833, he married again, Miss Rowena Bryant; the family came to Genesee and settled on the present homestead, in the fall of 1839, he buying 240 acres of the United States, a week after his arrival; for several weeks, his family shared the one-story log cabin of Edward Cavanagh, three families living in the one small room; Mr. Dodge built a 12x16-foot shanty, with rails laid for a chamber floor; the bedding being laid on several sides of sole leather, which he afterward worked up; an occasional roll out of bed by one of the urchins above would reveal an arm or leg between the rails; his table was a board fastened against the side of the room, and bedstead made of poles, and chairs ditto; and yet, under this shake roof, he used to find bed and board for many a traveler; his family moved in here one December day and spent the winter there, with Stephen Sayles and sons, John Rankin, James Williams, Edward Manning and the father of Mr. Dodge for the only neighbors; of these, seversl(sic) lived on puncheon floors, with bedsteads made by driving a post at the right distance from the inside corners of their cabins, then inserting poles from it either way to the log walls; Mr. Cavanagh's roof was so leaky as to compel the inmates to "sleep under tin pans," as Mr. Dodge puts it; ox teams were driven half way to Waukesha (Prairieville) to church, and the milling for these rugged settlers done at "Jerusalem" (Eagleville), and the old Dakin mill (demolished); the farm of 233 acres, well improved, with good building at this date, is the result of these experiences. In the spring of 1840, owing to the ill-health of his wife, Mr. Dodge returned and lived in New York State until 1842, since which time he has lived in Genesee. Joseph E. Dodge served in the Union army until the close of the war, much of the time sick in the hospitals; his brother Elbridge, in the same noble cause, died at Columbus, Ky. Mr. and Mrs. Dodge have lost four children, their only living son, Cushman, born, 1836, in Vermont, now owning the farm, or part of it; he married Miss Avis Parsons, of Columbia Co., N. Y., by whom he has four children - Hattie L., Clara F., Eben A. and Perry J.; the family are leading members of the Genesee Congregational Church, of which Mr. Dodge has been, for ten years, treasurer, and of which the son is clerk and deacon; politics Republican., Mr. Joseph Dodge united with the Baptists over fifty years ago, in his native State.
D. L. EDWARDS, merchant, Genesee Depot; born in Aberystwith, Cardiganshire, S. Wales, 1822; when 14 years of age, he was apprenticed for three years at the mercantile business; was for five years a clerk in London, and, in 1847, came to America; engaged in clerking in New York City until 1856, when he located in Milwaukee, as one of the head clerks in the large establishment of the Mack Bros.; in December, 1862, he bought out Mr. Steller, at Genesee Depot, for $500, added $1,500 worth of goods, and has since done a large and most satisfactory business here, increasing his stock to about $7,000; his line of dry goods, groceries, drugs, hats and caps, boots and shoes, clothing, hardware, tin-ware, glassware, crockery, notions, etc., is most complete, and he proposes to sell any and everything needed by a farming community; married Miss Margaret James, who, at her death, left him an only daughter, Alice J.; married again, Miss Mary, daughter of John Jones (deceased), by whom he has four sons - John A., Thomas D,, Richard C. and Arthur J.; Mr. and Mrs. Edwards are members of the Welsh Presbyterian Church, of Genesee; polities Democratic. Probably no man in Waukesha Co., to-day, has had the forty-three years' experience in mercantile pursuits that Mr. Edwards has, which experience enables him to buy judiciously.
WILLIAM H. HARDY, farmer, Genesee; born Oct. 16, 1832, in Ovid, Seneca Co., N.Y.; his father, George Hardy, born in Bath, England, learned the tailor's trade when but 8 or 9 years old; when quite young immigrated to America, made a trip through the South and East, and located as a tailor in New York City, where he married Miss Mary McIntosh, of Scotch ancestry; with his wife and eight children he located in Genesee in 1846, and engaged in tailoring for many years. William H., at 18 began as a clerk in Waukesha; his education then being most meager, he resolved to improve it; the first step was to learn daguerreotyping, which he did in three and a half days, of R. Radway; some unknown friend of Mr. Hardy had spoken a good word for him to J.J. Jones of Lynd, Wis., who had a picture car to dispose of, and who now trusted Mr. H. for every dollar of its value; for the ensuing three years he followed the picture business in Waukesha, Jefferson and Walworth Counties, earning a snug sum of money, every dollar of which was spent by him in attaining his education in Carroll College and Lawrence University, Appleton, meanwhile teaching five terms of school, thus earning enough to buy a stock of goods, of which his father, then Postmaster here, had charge; the first term taught in the stone school house in Genesee, was by Mr. H.; feeling more able to buffet with the world he continued mercantile business in Genesee until 1863 or 1864; while assisting to take the State census in 1865, he began buying wool, which led to his engaging in the produce and lumber business in Genesee depot, where he built the elevator in 1867, at the time Chicago was made an ash heap; he had $100,000 worth of lumber on hand, which rabidly advanced; after a more prosperous business career at this point, he sold out in 1873 to the Stewart brothers; that summer, he and partners bought 100,000 pound of wool, and he has bought ever since, also doing much legal business as Notary Public, which office he has filled many years; in 1877, he bought his homestead place of 55 acres, and in 1878 the old Stewart farm in Mukwonago, of 200 acres, his farming operations being carried on with the same energy and success which has characterized all his life work; his 160-acre farm in Trempeleau Co., Wis., as bought with his earnings as a teacher; Mr. Hardy has recently bought a flock of fine-wool sheep, of J.H. Paul, and will try the stock business; although no man has led a busier life, Mr. H., as a stanch and loyal Democrat, was called to represent his district in the Legislature, 1874 and 1876; was also Chairman of Genesee in 1873, Justice of the Peace, Town Clerk, etc.; one of the most pleasurable of the recollections of this gentleman, is his Southern trip in 1876, at which time he was one of the large party invited to make the trip as representative men of the Northwest, he also being one of the visitors of the exposition of that year. Married in Palmyra, Wis., Nov. 14, 1860, Miss Asenath, Hill, of Franklin Co., N.Y., by whom he has had five children-William H., Clarence F., Manning J., Freddie (died 1876) and Floyd M. None of the self=made men of this county have worked harder, and to more purpose than William H. Hardy; during his student life he often rose and began study at 3 and 4 o'clock in the morning, and many an odd hour was spent over his books in the picture car; his father died at 64, his mother at 76, now living in the state of New York.
JOHN HOOD, farmer, Sec. 31; P. O. North Prairie; born March 30, 1818, in Abernethy Perthshire, Scotland; has made farming his life-long occupation; in 1846, he removed to Durham., England, and resided there as a farmer fifteen years; here he married Miss Catherine Reid, a native of Auchtergaven, Perthshire; the family came to America in 1861, Mr. Hood buying his 160-acre farm of Mr. Murray; the buildings were a poor frame house and poorer sheds; eighteen years of well-directed toil and calculation on the part of this sturdy Scotch couple have wrought many changes; the elegant two-story farmhouse, with hip roof and modern fixtures, and substantial barns, tell the story better than we can; no more homelike place can be found in the county. There are four living children, all born in the County of Durham, England - Francis, Peter S., Catherine, Jennie A. and Marjory W. (Mrs. William Perry), died Dec. 27, 1877; Peter S., married Miss Sally Drew, of Milwaukee, and is a practical engineer in that city; Catherine is the wife of John Burnell, Jr., of Mukwonago; the eldest and youngest of the children are on the homestead; the family belong to the Genesee Congregational Church; father and sons being steadfast Republicans; the second reaper (an Esterly) used on North Prairie was by Messrs. Hood & Shultis, 1862.
WILLIAM HORNE, blacksmith, Genesee; born Aug. 29, 1817, in Leslie, Fifeshire, Scotland; at seventeen he began at his trade, working in Scotland until 1842, when he came to America and to Milwaukee, being the third or fourth blacksmith to locate there, doing much work for Byron Kilburn, a personal friend. Married in Milwaukee Jan. 1844, Miss Mary, daughter of David Johnston (see biography of William Johnston); her mother died in Scotland, leaving her in charge of several younger brothers and sisters; her father, one of Wisconsin's best-known pioneers, died in Madison, Wis., about 1857. Mr. and Mrs. Horne settled in Genesee, 1852, building the first, large frame house in the village, then known as "the house with the green blinds," and which, with its recent improvements, is a most pleasant home; Messrs. Horne and William Johnston built the large stone shop at this time, where the sturdy old Scotch blacksmith has, by honest labor with his hammers, earned the means so usefully spent in educating his children - M. Jennie, the oldest, is now Mrs. John McVickar; M. Elizabeth is now in Iowa, William H., one of Nebraska's live farmers, while John F., a graduate of Beloit College, has since spent a year at Yale, and one at Andover, Mass., from which theological school he will soon graduate; he is the first native of Genesee, to enter the Christian ministry; Annie I. will also graduate from the State University of Wis.; Alice, the youngest, is with her parents; the family are members of the Congregational Church of Genesee; Mr. Horne always refusing office, is a Republican.
ALFRED JACOBS, farmer, Sec. 32; P. O. North Prairie; born in Hornblotton, Somersetshire, Eng., April 14, 1824, immigrated to the United States in 1845, and at once came to Ottawa, buying 40 acres, which he sold; in 1849, he went via the Isthmus to California, remaining two and a half years in the Golden State; returned to Wisconsin the same route, and in 1852, visited his native land; in May 1853, he again settled in Wisconsin, remaining there until fall, then visited Chautauqua, Co., N. Y., where he married, Feb. 14, 1854, Miss Mary Hayes, who was born April 21, 1831, in West Pennard, Somersetshire; her parents and eleven children settled in C. County, 1850; here her father died, and her mother still lives at the age of 73. Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs settled on the old "Silver Lake House" farm in Ottawa, and nine years after, bought the old " Half Way House" in the town of Eagle, where they kept store three years; at the end of this time, Mr. Jacobs bought his present 140-acre farm of Thomas Sugden, it being well-improved, with good buildings; Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs have nine living children - George E., Clyde, Hattie, Fred, Herbert H., Altamont A., Sydney R., Ralph D., and Minnie A.; the firstborn, Fannie H., died when ten years old; in 1879, Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs made a visit to his father in England, who is hale and hearty at the age of 84; in 1878, Mrs. Jacobs attended a reunion of her family at her mother's home; fourteen of her relatives meeting from Oregon, Kansas, Illinois, Wisconsin and New York; her brother Henry, a New York Volunteer, died in the service at Fortress Monroe, Va.; Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs are members of the Episcopal Church; he is a Republican, and, while he has served on the town Boards of both Ottawa and Genesee, has refused many town offices.
WILLIAM JOHNSTON, proprietor of the Genesee Quarry, is a native of Glammis, Forfarshire, Scotland; from 1818, began life at 18 in serving a four-year's apprenticeship as a stone-cutter; emigrated to the United States in March, 1842, reaching Milwaukee in November; while on the road west of the town one morning in January following, he met Silas Remington, with a cart and four oxen, drawing a load of limestone; conversation ensued, by which he learned that the stones were from Mr. R's farm in Genesee; this was the first load of building-stone drawn into that town; Elisha Starr, having established a newspaper there, made inquiries about a suitable imposing stone, and was referred by Messrs. William Sevier and Johnston, to the Genesee stone; in search of such a stone, Mr. J.'s first visit was wade to the quarry in company with Mr. S. that month; 'they found a bluff or ledge of limestone at the top of which Mr. Remington had taken out a few loads of stone; the gray, moss-grown edges of which peered through the side of the bluff here, about 18 feet high; a stone was selected and made a part of Mr. R's. second load to Milwaukee; Mr. Johnston and his father cut and polished the imposing-stone, and cut the remainder of the load into grave-stones; it is thought that the stone spoken of was the first one used in the Sentinel office; during the next two years Mr. J. bought stone of Mr. Remington, part of which were used in the construction of the first stone buildings in the town. In 1844, Messrs. Johnston and Thomas Cook, an Englishman, bought the quarry, doing business a number of years; Mr. Cook selling his interest, removed to Waukesha, and finally to Milwaukee, where, as senior member of the firm of Cook & Hyde, he is doing the best stone business in the city; Mr. Johnston has sold this famous stone in all parts of Southeast Wisconsin, and thousands of bushels of lime, it being for years the only one open in that part of the Northwest, and no man is better or more favorably known here than he; a Republican, he has ever refused office or honors; married Miss Margaret Kidd, of his native parish; by whom he has seven children; William K. Agnes L., Anne, Mary J., David, John F. and Nellie E. The quarry is now in charge of the eldest son, his brothers working the 140-acre farm owned in connection with it.
DAVID JONES (Park), farmer, Sec 12; P.O. box 428 Waukesha; born July 27, 1805, in Llodwyn, Cardiganshire, S. Wales; was born and bred a farmer, receiving an excellent education; married Miss Mary Evans, of the parish of Nanteuville, they coming to the United States, and to Genesee in 1846, Mr. J. buying his 160-acre farm of David Hyde, about 15 acres were broken and fenced; the frame house being then a rare acquisition, as there were but few in the town; as a result of these 34 years of useful and honorable life, Mr. Jones has an improved farm, several substantial barns, and was enabled to celebrate the centennial by building a spacious and elegant residence; Mr. Jones is a member of the Welsh Calvinistic M.E. Church, and a stalwart Republican; was in an early day Assessor of Genesee; his wife died Nov. 1, 1863, leaving nine children; Elizabeth, Jane, David, John, Evan, Margaret (deceased), Rees, Mary and Anne, the three latter are natives of Genesee; Mr. and Mrs. Jones had previously lost four children.
MORGAN JONES, farmer, Secs. 11 and 12; P. O. box 415 Waukesha; is a son of R. W. and Mary (Williams) Jones, and was born June 17, 1847 in Brecon, Breconshire, S. Wales; the family came to America and to Genesee in 1854, Mr. Jones buying the homestead of 140 acres of John Hughes, it being then in a semi-cultivated state; R. W. Jones did good work here with good results, as may be seen by the substantial buildings he erected, and the well cultivated and fenced farm; his wife died in 1869, leaving his ten children; of these Morgan, the eighth, was educated in the common schools and in Carroll College, teaching one term each, in districts No. 1 and 4, in Genesee; his wife was Miss Hattie Hopperton, a native of Genesee; they have three children, Sarah B., Mary E. and an infant as yet unnamed; he is a Republican; his father sold the farm to him in 1874, spent two years in Wales and has since been a resident, of Waukesha.
RICHARD JONES, retired farmer, Genesee Depot; was born March 5, 1805, in Aberystwith, Cardiganshire, South Wales; is a son of John and Ann (Williams) Jones; was fifteen years in the mercantile business, and came to the United States in 1842, with his wife and seven children, buying, at $1,800, 240 acres on Sec. 8, in Genesee; himself and William Evans now being the fourth of the Welsh settlers; the first, was John Hughes, 1840; next, Thomas Jones and Richard Jarmon, in 1841; none except Messrs. Jones and Evans are now living; Mr. J. began in a log house and cleared up his farm, erected a good stone house and several substantial barns; renting his farm in 1863, he bought 9 acres of the village plat, which, with the depot building, he still owns; was Station Agent here nine years, from 1863, which position he turned over to his son, Charles R.; about ten years ago he sold his farm, built a pleasant home, and has given up active business. Married Miss Charlotte Jones, in Wales, who died in 1857, leaving eight children - Avarina, deceased; Thomas R., deceased; John R., Anne, deceased; William R., Mary, Richard, Jr., deceased, and Charles R.; the sons all take the initial of their honored sire's given name. In 1858 Mr. J. married Mrs. Catherine Jones, by whom he has a son, Daniel. Mr. Jones and family are members of the Welsh Presbyterian Church; he is a Republican, whose active business life has never allowed him to hold office; he, with his wife and youngest son, spent 1871 and 1872 in Wales, but so completely Americanized had he become that he was glad to return. Mr. J. is most kindly remembered by his early Welsh neighbors, as no man could, or did, assist them more in making locations in former days; one of these, a Mr. Joseph Williams, in speaking of this to a party of Welsh, years ago, exclaimed, " He is your King," and the title, so worthily bestowed, has since clung to him, and he is best known as King Jones.
THOMAS D. JONES, farmer, Secs. 9, 5 and 6; P. O. Genesee Depot; born Nov. 6, 1834, in Llandysil, Cardiganshire, South Wales; son of David R. and Sarah Jones, and is the youngest of twelve children; the mother died in Wales, the father and five children coming to the United States in 1842; after two years spent, in Licking Co., Ohio, the family settled, in May, 1844, on the 40-acre home-stead in Genesee; the trip was made with a team through the marshes and rivers of Michigan, Indiana and Illinois; the land was bought of "Uncle Sam," and a log house built, where Mr. J. and his two youngest children lived, during the first summer, on bread and milk for supper, dinner and breakfast, it being eaten on a dry-goods box, brought from Ohio; their coffee was distilled from a berry growing wild in the woods, where deer and wolves were plenty, yet Mr. Jones now avers that some of the happiest days of his life were spent there; the oak shakes for the roof of the house were split with a curious instrument called a fro, still kept by him as a relic; he attended the district schools under the tuition of such pioneer teachers as W. R. Williams, I. H. Castles and the Rev. Mr. Morris, completing his education in Carroll College, Waukesha; after this he operated a threshing machine and a breaking team for a number of years, but did not carry out his intention to resume school; he has owned the homestead of 80 acres since the death of his father, Aug. 19, 1863; a capacious barn was built here in 1859, and a handsome residence in 1862; in 1879, Mr. Jones bought the old Davenport estate of 470 acres, this giving him the position of the largest land-owner in his own; it is worthy of remark that the Davenport estate is now unencumbered for the first time in forty-two years; few men can show as good a record as Mr. Jones, as he began in '62 with hardly a dollar. Married, Jan. 17, 1862, Miss Margaret, daughter of Griffith Roberts, and a native of Carnarvon, North Wales, by whom he has four children - David, Anne, Griffith and Sarah, all born in Genesee. The family are members of the Welsh Calvinistic M. E. Church, of which Mr. J. was Secretary sixteen consecutive years; a steadfast Democrat, he was first elected Town Superintendent of Schools, was Justice of the Peace for many years, Town Clerk, and in 1870, Chairman of the Board; in 1871 and 1872 he was Assessor, and again Chairman in '74 and '75, and has held the office constantly since 1877. Mr. Jones is a stirring and able business man, worthily representing his town, in which few men have done more legal business in settling estates and in probate cases.
DAVID MORRIS, farmer, Sec. 14; P. O. Genesee Depot; born in Merionethshire, North Wales, December, 1826; spent his early life as a farmer in his native land, emigrating to the United States in 1847; learned the trade of carpenter and joiner in Oneida Co., N. Y., working there until 1857, when he came to Waterville and worked for a year for E. W. Edgerton; in 1858, he bought his farm of 87 acres of David Jones, a small house and a 30x30-foot barn comprising the improvements; twenty-three years of active and honorable labor here has met with a substantial reward in the well-improved farm, the 30x46-foot barn and the tasteful 22x28 two-story farm-house; Mr. Morris also owns 20 acres of timber in Delafield. His wife, from the same shire, married him in the fall of 1846; the eldest son, Edward S., was born May 27, 1847, while the parents were on the Atlantic; David J. was born Nov. 19, 1849, in Oneida Co., N. Y., and Chauncy, Nov. 13, 1858. Mr. Morris and sons are Republicans, David J. serving his county as Deputy Sheriff in 1877 and '78; the eldest son is married, and settled as a railroad man in Milwaukee, the two younger being on the homestead, which is devoted to breeding; among other stock, to grade Durham cattle, Cotswold sheep, Clyde horses and Poland China hogs, pure bred, from Hylett's herd, Menomonee.
JAMES NELSON, farmer, Secs. 28 and 26; P. O. Genesee; born, 1800, in the County of Norfolk, Eng.; came to America, in May, 1849, and, after a short stay in Connecticut, came to Genesee and bought 80 acres of his present farm; here he was joined, on the 2d of August, 1850, by his brother, Samuel Nelson, with his wife and three sons; the brothers did the hardest of work here for sixteen years, buying the 210-acre farm of S. Nelson, and adding 40 to the original 80 acres. Mr. Samuel Nelson married Miss Hannah Herrod, who died in Genesee, in 1851, leaving three sons - Samuel, Jr., James C. and Thomas H.; Samuel Nelson, Jr., learned the trade of miller, working ten or twelve years in the Saylesville and Genesee mills; he was born, in 1837, in Norfolk, Eng. Married, Oct. 26, 1862, Miss Betsey Johnson, a native of Ferrisburg, N. Y., by whom he has two daughters - Susie and Ida. The farm of 120 acres is now owned by him, his bachelor uncle living with him; the parents of Mrs. N., Edward and Polly Johnson, settled in Menominee, in an early day, and saw much of pioneer life and its hardships; Mr. J. died, in 1875, his widow still living there; the Nelsons are Republicans, the uncle being a member of the M. E. Church.
JOHN OLIVER, merchant and Postmaster; Genesee depot; born Nov. 24, 1843, in Oneida Co., N. Y.; his parents immigrated from Wales, in 1841 or 1842, and settled in Genesee, early in 1844; the son was educated here, and resided with his parents until 1862, when he went to Chicago, and engaged in the carpenter and pattern maker's trade until 1868, when, in company with John Davis, he began business in his present store, Mr. Oliver conducting the business alone since 1874, and has increased his business from $5,000 to over $12,000, carrying a complete general stock of everything needed to meet a country trade, including farm implements, also deals in butter, eggs, poultry, etc. He married, in Chicago, Miss Jane A., daughter of Moses W. and Sarah (Hughes) Williams; her father came to America thirty-seven years ago, and her mother fifty-two years, both from Wales; they located at an early day in Chicago, where Mrs. Oliver was born; Mr. and Mrs. Oliver have four children - Sarah J., Elizabeth M., Margaret R. and John W.; the eldest is a native of Chicago and the others of Genesee; they have lost two children - Robert M. and Ida May, Mr. Oliver is a Republican, and has been Town Clerk twice, and Treasurer once; is, with his wife, a member of the Welsh Calvinistic M. E. Church.
JOHN H. PAUL, farmer and stock-breeder; Genesee; born in Somersetshire, Eng., in August, 1819; he learned the trade of stone cutter, and in 1840 came to the United States, locating in New York State, and in Canada where he was engaged in cutting stone at the enlargement of the Welland Canal. Married in Skaneateles, N. Y., Miss Harriet Foster, of his native shire. Having bought 40 acres of his present homestead a few years previously, he in 1846 settled upon it, a year or so after buying 160 acres, where he lives, at Sheriff's sale, it being part of the Jenkins estate, which fell into the hands of Thomas De Jean, an unfortunate pioneer who built a saw-mill upon it and lost everything,; Mr. Paul operated the mill a number of years ofter(sic) this; he also worked at his trade in Milwaukee, at first walking twenty-eight miles on Monday morning to the town, and back to his wife in Genesee on Saturday night, afterward residing in Milwaukee, working at his trade and improving his farm for twelve years. The land where his spacious house and large orchard stand was, when he bought, a grove of white and burr oaks. Mr. and Mrs. Paul have two children - Samuel F., now a leading wholesale silk merchant of Chicago, and Ida H,, now Mrs. Thomas Steel, of Genesee; Mr. Paul is admitted on all sides to be the leading fine-wool sheep-breeder of the Northwest, and his sheep have often taken premiums over those of Vermont and New York breeders; about thirty years ago he bred native sheep, and then the Southdowns, but not feeling satisfied, bought of Victor Wright and Oliver Severns, Middlebury, Vt., and A. E. Douglas, Shoreham, Vt., thirty or forty pure-bred animals from the famous old Hammond and Rich flocks; this was in 1862, and the increase of this flock, with the admirable selections made by him since, makes it difficult for Eastern men to carry off Western prizes; his purchases since this have been made of such breeders as Lyman Clark, Addison, Vt.; A. Parker and Dr. Wright, of Whiting, Vt.; Meriner & Brunson and - Shepard, Canandaigua, N. Y.; P. & 6. Martin, Genesee Co., N. Y.; S. S. Lusk, Victor, N. Y.; S. B, Lusk, Batavia, N. Y,; and Townsend, of Pavillion, N. Y.; Mr. Paul has for six years past kept from 100 to 300 of these sheep, and has never failed to win at least one-half the premiums at all State and county fairs, where he has had personal charge of the sheep; at the head of his flock is the noble ram "Wrinkley," an animal considered second to none on the continent as a stock getter, and which has never failed but once to take the first premiums where exhibited, he never yet failing to carry off the sweepstakes prize for scoured fleece and ten of his get; Mr. P. is also the owner of Modoc, bred by Martin, of Genesee Co., N. Y., and of Golden Gate, Jr., bred by L. Clark, of Addison, Vt.; the committee appointed by the Wisconsin Sheep and Wool Growers' Association to attend the Centennial Exhibition were, J. H, Paul, Chairman, J. N. Crawford and P. Humbert; Mr. Paul was awarded a bronze medal on a pen of yearling ewes and one on a flock of two and three-year-old's, George Lawrence, Jr., taking the only medal beside these awarded Wisconsin breeders, Mr. P. is also Chairman of the committee on registered sheep, and has nearly two hundred registered in his yards.; he has spent more money and time to improve his stock than any man in the State; his sales are extensive in the Southwest, no breeder in the State having an equal reputation; in Texas, where he has many personal friends, he has for fifteen years past bred shorthorn cattle, now owning thirty or forty pure-bred animals, among them the bull "Genesee Prince,' whose pedigree is second to none in America; beside this he has ten Hambletonian horses, six of which are eligible to register; his young stallion Swigert, Jr., sired by R. Richard's old Swigert, is now in the hands of Maynard, the noted Waukesha trainer, and at 4 years old can trot inside of 2,50; he is considered the most promising horse in the county, and his time has never yet been equaled by any horse of his age here. Mr. Paul's splendid stock-farm of 800 acres has been cleared and well improved by him, and he doubtless has more barn-room than any man in Genesee. He is an independent Republican, who has ever and always refused political offices, and an attendant with his wife of the Congregational Church.
HERMAN V. PRENTICE, retired merchant; Genesee; is a native of Bethlehem, Litchfield Co., Conn.; born March 17, 1799; is the youngest of eleven children of John and Martha (Clemans) Prentice; he taught district school in Litchfield at 16, and took a three-years' medical course. Married Feb. 10, 1819, in her native town of New Marlborough, Ulster Co., N, Y., Miss Jane, daughter of Cornbury and Mary (Quimby) Dayton, she being twenty-four days his junior; he then taught in New Marlborough, and during the next two years in Essex Co., N. J.; in November, 1822, he engaged in mercantile business in Woodbury, Conn., going from there in August, 1826, to Clockville, Madison Co., N. Y., where he built a large combined store and residence, and carried on an immense mercantile and grain business, owning several canalboats; removed to Albion, N. Y.; he erected two brick blocks which still do credit to the town, and a palatial residence still known as the Prentice Mansion; his mercantile, real estate and chipping interests here were very great, he owning thousands of acres of land there, and large tracts in Michigan; a canalboat, loaded with all his household and other costly goods, started for Milwaukee, but sunk in the Erie Canal, thus entailing a loss of thousands of dollars, and crippling his operations in the West; however, he and his devoted wife reached Milwaukee in September, 1848, but left in fear of cholera, settling in Genesee in April in 1849, on the S. S. Case farm; since this time he has dealt heavily and lost heavily in the grain and produce business, at one time owning the elevators at Genesee and North Prairie. Mr. and Mrs. P. have had six children - Mary J., widow of Gen. J. B. Lee, is a resident of Albion, N. Y.; Martha C. (Mrs. H. J. Van Dusen) died Nov. 2, 1877; Herman V., died March 17, 1831; D. Homer, died Aug, 14, 1874; F. Eliza (Mrs. Horace Smith) resides in Genesee; Ruth, died March 12, 1844. Mr. and Mrs. P. united with the Congregational Church in 1818; Mr. P. is a Democrat, has been Justice of the Peace, and Town Superintendent of Free Schools in Genesee, and is a Mason, joining the order fifty years ago in Madison Co., N. Y. In their pleasant village home the old couple, in their 82d year, look back over a long, active and exemplary life, and, though Herman V. Prentice has met with many misfortunes during his wearing business life, during the past sixty-four years, no man in Wisconsin is better known, or more universally respected.
JAMES PROCTOR, proprietor of the Genesee Woolen Mills; was born December, 1828, in the West Ridings of Yorkshire, England; emigrating to America, with his brother, when 12 years old, he worked six or seven years in a woolen-mill in Clarkstown, N. Y., and about as long in the Middletown Mills; he next worked a few years with his brother Mathew, in Bushkill, Pike Co., Penn.; in 1854, he located in Janesville, Wis., and, in 1855, in Madison; during the next, few years, he engaged in farming, and in the factory at Monticello, Green Co., Wis., also setting in operation the Freeport Mills; in 1868, he bought the Genesee Mill of William Holloway; this was built over thirty years ago, by Daniel Hickox, who operated it, in 1847 and 1848, as a carding mill; in 1849, he and Lyman Holt put in machinery and operated it; Mr. Holt retired, and, on the death of Mr. Hickox, about 1860, his widow sold to Mr. Steller, Mr. Holloway being the next owner; Mr. Proctor has added twenty feet to the length of the mill, and put in new machinery; it is a "one set" mill with six looms, run by water power; eight hands are employed; fine flannels are the specialty here, made for the Chicago market, Mr. P. buying from 25,000 to 30,000 pounds of wool per annum. He married Miss Sarah Tittle, of Monroe Co., Penn., by whom he has ten children - Eugene, Frank J., Milton, Ellen, Hannah, Emma, Jacques, Hettie, Lillie and William. Mr. Proctor is a Republican.
THOMAS REES, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Genesee depot; born in Llandysil, Cardiganshire, South Wales, Feb. 7, 1818; began at 16, and served a seven years' apprenticeship to a shoemaker; in 1841, he came to America, and located at the beautiful village of Granville, Licking Co., Ohio; settled, in May, 1846, in a 12x16 slab shanty in Genesee; this was built near the residence of T. W. Jones, the slabs costing him a shilling each, and it required a day, as the rounds were then, to draw a load from the Genesee saw-mill, with oxen; a load of 400 feet of lumber, drawn from Heath's mill in Sullivan, did not arrive until midnight; when completed, the shanty cost $45, for four years after, he worked here at his trade, saving $1,200 in that time; his first work was to mend a poor old harness for T. H. Evans, who was so well pleased as to encourage others to patronize Mr. Rees; his coarse boots were sold at $3; ladies' shoes at $1.75, and fine work at, $5; in September, 1850, Mr. R. bought and settled upon the first 120 acres on the School Section, beginning in a log house, working well and honestly as ever, and now is rewarded by owning 200 acres of land, a substantial brick house, all needed barns and stock, and owes no man a dollar; he was the first Welshman to rally his party to the Democratic standard in Genesee, and a good representative pioneer. His is the only Welsh Episcopalian family in the town. He married, in Wales, Miss Mary Davis, of the same parish, by whom he has hail six children - Margaret, born in Wales; David arid Anne (deceased), born in Ohio; John T., Jane and Mary, born in Genesee; Margaret is Mrs. Owen Olive, of Genesee; David married Miss Anne Felix, and is in a Watertown sash-factory; John T., the second son, was born August 25, 1849; was educated in Stewart's Academy, Waukesha, and has taught seven terms of school in Genesee and Ottawa. Is a Democrat and is now Justice of the Peace. He married Jane Jones, of Genesee; their only daughter, Jennie L., died July 17, 1879, at the age of 2 1/2 years.
JOHN REMINGTON, retired farmer; born in Rupert, Vt., in 1805; he left his native State when 13 years of age, and located in western New York; when the Erie Canal was building, he helped dig stumps and do grading, in what is now the heart of the city of Rochester, being one of a few living men engaged in this work. He married Miss Lucinda Marble, of Cascnovia, Oneida Co., N. Y., they coming to Genesee and settling on a wild farm in 1842; began a poor man and disposed of a small stock of cloth and leather as best he might, to settlers as poor as himself; Mr. and Mrs. Remington kept open house for travelers in early days, and mainly a night their floor would be covered with the prostrate forms of sleeping frontiersmen. In his house the first Methodist Episcopal sermon was preached, by the Rev. Mr. Moulthrop, in the fall of 1842, the first prayer meeting having been held there that summer; Mr. Remington was also a pioneer merchant, and relates that he met with "business reverses," his store having been broken into and robbed one night, about thirty years ago, by a band of (supposed) Mormons. In 1859 he built, and placed his son in charge of a warehouse and store in North Prairie; sold out his business here, and in 1870, sold his farm; built, and for three years lived in, a new house in Genesee village; removed again to a farm, which he exchanged with Thomas Sugden, thus obtaining the building where he now lives. Mr. and Mrs. Remington have nine children - Emily, Daniel, Harriet (deceased), Mariette, Stephen (deceased), Alva, John, Lucinda and Mary; Emily is Mrs. D. D. Gross, of Friendville, Neb., Daniel has a hotel in Northern Wisconsin, Mariette is the wife of the Rev. T. M. Ross, Alva is in business in Milwaukee, John is a civil engineer, and the two youngest daughters are in North Prairie, Mary being the wife of W. E. Swan, Jr., who is one of the prosperous and live young business men of his native county; for the past six years he has carried a large and complete stock of general merchandise, including dry goods, groceries, drugs, boots and shoes, hardware, farm implements, notions, etc.; is doing and means to do a good and satisfactory business. Mr. Remington is an old-school Whig-Republican, and was, for six years, Town Treasurer; is, with his wife, a Methodist.
HORACE SMITH, farmer, Sec. 32; P.O. North Prairie; born in Ackworth, Cheshire Co., N.H., May 3, 1816; lived in his native State until June, 1836, then he removed to Cass Co., Mich; Mr. Smith reached Eagle Prairie in June, 1837, with two yoke of oxen and a wagon; remained several weeks with Ebenezer Thomas, then settled on Sec. 32, Genesee; this claim had been made in March, 1837, by his brother, Stillman Smith; the Smith brothers were the only actual residents of Genesee until September, 1837, when Abram Balser settled on the present Holsapple farm; in October, Almond and Joseph Osborn made claim (the Bratlay farm), but spent the winter in La Porte, Ind., locating on the claim in the spring of 1838; in October, Dr. Weeks of Milwaukee, and Joseph Marsh, of St. Albans, Vt., made a claim on Sec. 24, building a house, where Mr. Marsh "bached it" that winter. The first family to settle in this town was that of Absalom Denny, late in the fall of 1837. Mr. Smith lived a bachelor's life here until March, 1856, when he married Miss Frances E. Prentice, a native of Albion, Orleans Co., N.Y., by whom he has eight children--Jennie M. (Mrs. T.S. Reynolds), Alta A. (Mrs. Frederick Orth), Martha E., Ada R., Minda A., Charles H.S., Allie L., and Perlie L. Mrs. Smith is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church; Mr. Smith is a steadfast Democrat, who has been Highway Commissioner, Justice of the Peace and Assessor many years. He has a homestead of 90 acres, and also a house and lot in the village.
THOMAS STEEL, M. D.; Genesee; born in Inverkeithing, Fifeshire, Scotland, Nov. 9, 1809. Dr. Steel was educated in the public schools of Glasgow, Edinburg and London; began the study of medicine in London, about 1828. graduating as physician and surgeon from Glasgow University, 1833; the Doctor made his first voyage to America the following year, visited Canada, and went from there to New Orleans, from which city he returned home; the next two years were spent by him as Surgeon on board an East Indiaman; he also resided six months in China; returning to London, Dr. Steel, in 1843, came to America for the second time, and has since been a resident of Genesee, first locating on land now owned by Mr. Hasler, a mile west of the village; he began as one of the pioneer physicians of Wisconsin, was provided with all needed instruments, though his drugs, etc., came from Milwaukee; Dr. Wright, of Waukesha, and himself, were then the only physicians in Waukesha County. The Doctor married, in Milwaukee, Wis., in 1844, Miss Catherine Freeman, a native of London, England, by whom he has had eight children - James. who died of yellow fever in the United States naval service; Thomas, a resident of Genesee; Annie and Lillias, teachers in Milwaukee; Catherine, with her parents; John, a graduate of Beloit College and a teacher; Alfred, now in Beloit College; and Andrew (a student in Milwaukee). Dr. Steel is a Spiritualist in religious belief, and liberal in politics; served one year, and has since refused all office; suffice it to say that he has, during his thirty-seven years' residence here, had all the practice he has desired, and, though not seeking it, still continues to minister to the afflictions of his fellow-men.
DAVID STEWART, farmer, Secs 11 and 14; P.O. Genesee depot; born in 1817, in the parish Desert Martin, County Derry, Ireland; has been a lifelong farmer. Married in Ireland, Miss Martha Sloan, born in 1819, daughter of a farmer in his parish; when he was 27 they emigrated to America, landing in New York, and reaching Ottawa in June, 1843, here he bought 120 acres of the Government, living in a log house and making slow progress; selling out in 1845, he bought a farm of 160 acres of A.J. Cook, it being sold by William Smith; Mr. Stewart built a log house in November, where his family passed a long, cold winter; as it was unplastered, the frost penetrated often; this was a timbered farm, Mr. S. doing good pioneer work with his ax, and selling hundreds of cords of wood to the railway company, thus clearing and breaking 115 acres, and now cultivating it; the log house is now replaced by a very large and well-built residence, and several substantial barns have been built, all helping to show the results of a busy and useful life; Mr. S. has been unfortunate in one respect, having had his ribs broken at different times, and a year ago his leg broken in three places, by a kick of a horse. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart have eight children--Sarah (Mrs. Richard Cole), Eliza J. (Mrs. Walter Stewart), Mary M. (Mrs. Thomas Fender), Thomas S., David J., Eva A.(Mrs. M.D. Salter), John and Mattie; the youngest, Benjamin R., died at six months. Mr. Stewart is a Republican and has been school district Treasurer and Overseer of Highways a number of years; is in accord with the Presbyterian Church. Mr. S. has a fine flock of 120 sheep, and other stock.
STEWART BROS., dealers in grain, lumber and stock; Genesee depot; sons of James and Susan A. Stewart, and were born in New Brunswick, the family removing to a farm in Mukwonago, Waukesha Co., in 1846; there were eight children, of which A. G. Stewart, the fourth, was born in 1841; educated in the district schools of Mukwonago, and in Beloit College, after which he took a commercial course in Buffalo, N. Y.; he was also a Union soldier, volunteering in the 24th N. Y. cavalry, served three years; his regiment doing the usual scouting and guard service of cavalry in Virginia and North Carolina, participating, however, in the desperate battles before Petersburg. He married, April 27, 1871, Miss Sarah J. Rankin, of Genesee, by whom he has one son; Areli R., is a Democrat, and is now Town Clerk, having prior to this, been Supervisor; E. J. Stewart, born 1846, was next younger than his brother, and partner; was educated at Beloit College, which school he attended four years; is a Republican to the backbone. About thirteen years ago the brothers joined hands in business, were in the grocery and provision business for some time in Oshkosh, and one summer keeping a hotel (as a summer resort) in Frontenac, Minn.; in the spring of 1873 they bought the Genesee Elevator of W. H. Hardy, who had succeeded H. V. Prattice; they are dealing extensively here in grain, grass seeds, lumber and fat-stock, also feed of all kinds; their stock of lumber is large, varied and complete; their farm adjoining the village was bought of J. Davis; here they have built one of the most substantial and elegant residences to be found in the county; besides this, they are doing a good business at North Prairie, owning there the best elevator on this line of railway, and also a lumber-yard; from $200,000 to $240,000 per annum is their regular business.
JOSEPH STUBBS, farmer, Sec. 29; P. O. North Prairie; born in Seagrave, Lancastershire, England, May 25, 1825; during his boyhood he served as apprentice to a druggist and grocer; came to America when 19 years of age, and spent three years in Milwaukee. Here, in St. Paul's Church, by the Rev. Benjamin Akerly, Dec. 17, 1846, he married Miss Mary Lilly, who was born March 26, 1826, in Smarden, Kent Co., England; in April, 1848, they came to Genesee and settled on 80 acres of the present farm; beginning here in a log house, they had to work and plan well to support, clothe and educate their large family, for they have been blessed with fourteen children - William G., born July 5, 1847, died Feb. 18, 1848; Stanley D., born Dec. 4, 1848; Andrew T., born May 20, 1850; Orlando, born Feb. 7, 1852; Sidney, born Nov. 6, 1853; Orwin, born Aug. 8, 1855; Orson, born Sept. 5, 1857; Vincent, born March 18, 1859; Amelia, born Nov. 21, 1860; Matilda, born Nov. 3, 1862; Etta, born June 24, 1864; George, born Feb. 16, 1866; Ida, born Aug. 16, 1867; Mary, Dec. 2, 1869, died Dec. 26, 1869. Honest industry and attention to business always wins, and as his reward Mr. Stubbs has about 400 acres of excellent land, of which 60 are in Ottawa and 8 in Mukwonago; about 300 acres, or the main farm, is under cultivation; about fourteen years ago Mr. S. bought the farm of Mr. Gary, and on this he has built a substantial farm-house, barns, etc.; not a bad showing for a man who began with $25 in Wisconsin, and who loaned and lost even that. Mr. S. is a Democrat, and, with his wife, an Episcopalian.
THOMAS SUGDEN, retired farmer; North Prairie; is one of the first settlers in Waukesha County; he was a native of Millington, in the East Ridings of Yorkshire, England; born June 12, 1810, and is son of John and Jane (Rickal) Sugden; was educated in the common-schools of England, where his younger life was spent; first coming to America in the spring of 1834, he remained at Detroit, Mich., until fall, when he returned to his native land. He married, April 1, 1835, Miss Hannah, daughter of John and Elizabeth Slightarn, of his native village; that same spring, the widowed mother of Mr. Sugden, with four of her children, himself, wife, and her relatives, emigrated to and have since been residents of the United States, Mr. Sugden, in May, 1836, came up the lakes on the old New York, the first boat to run from Detroit to Milwaukee that spring landing at Milwaukee, he made his first visit and his first claim in Waukesha County, in, June, 1836, claiming the northeast quarter of Sec. 19, in the present town of' Mukwonago, the farm now owned by George Henderson; this was his residence most of the time until the fall of 1843, when he settled on Sec. 14, in Eagle, remaining here until the fall of 1849, when he located on the southeast quarter of Sec. 29, Genesee, and has since been a resident of this town. In politics, an old-time Whig; Mr. Sugden, since the organization of the Republican party, has been one of its most, steadfast and loyal members; he was appointed Notary Public by Gov. Nelson Dewey, in 1849, and has held the office under every succeeding Governor; also represented his district in the Second Wisconsin Legislature in 1849, in 1853, and again in 1857; has been Chairman of his town six or seven consecutive years, and held many minor offices in Eagle and Genesee. Mr. and Mrs. Sugden have three living children - Elizabeth (now Mrs. Hugh Jones, of Juneau Co., Wis.), and two sons, James and Thomas (both residents of Saline Co., Neb.).