From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880Back to Main Index
E. F. BENNETT, farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Greenfield, Milwaukee Co., Wis.; born in the town of Onondaga, Onondaga Co., N. Y., Oct. 11, 1816; his father, Ezra Bennett, born in Rhode Island, followed the sea for years prior to settling in New York in 1815; he was finally lost at sea; his mother, marrying again, settled and died in Canada. Mr. B. was reared by one J. C. Scranton, came to Wisconsin in 1839, and bought a farm in Greenfield, and spent two years chopping and clearing; then settled on his present location; thirty-nine years ago, this was a wilderness of heavy timber, the ax wielded by him clearing over 100 of the 160 acres; the large and tasteful residence of to-day stands in sight of the humble home where he began in New Berlin. He married, in July, 1843, the widow of Waterman Field; she was formerly Amanda M. Rathbone, born in Chenango Co., N. Y., and at her death, Nov. 7, 1874, left four children - Frank A., Blanche, Ida E. and Alice, all born on the homestead, as was the daughter Florence, who died July 19, 1866. Alice Bennett died Dec. 16, 1876; Frank A. is in Troy, Walworth Co.; Blanche (Mrs. J. A. Stapleton), lives in Milwaukee, and Ida E. (Mrs. Frank Korn), is on the homestead, which her husband bought of her father in 1875; Mr. Korn has built a large barn and otherwise improved the place; his eldest, Alice, was born in Waulesha, and his son Harry was born on - the home farm, which Mr. B. still makes his home. Mr. Bennett is a Republican, and no office seeker.
BERNARD CASPER, farmer, Ses. 20; P. O. New Berlin, born June 29, 1824, in Alsace, France; engaged in farming in early life, and in 1845 came to America; learned coopering in Rochester, N. Y., and in 1848 went to Canada; married, in Preston, Canada, Aug. 14, 1848, Miss Catherine Lehman, and the next day they left for Milwaukee, where Mr. Casper worked at his trade three years; settled on 10 acres in New Berlin, March 25, 1851; began coopering; has since bought more land. now owning 125 acres; he finished hie large brick bouse in 1858, and in it, on the 4th of July, 1858, opened the saloon which he has since kept; he also continues his farming and coopering. Is a Democrat; was Town Supervisor twelve years, and School Clerk three years; was also one of the leading men, in building St. Valerius Church, which, with the school house, were built on his land. Mr. and Mrs. Casper have seven children - Bernard, Aloise, Katie, Lizzie, Andrew, Valentine and John.
BENNETT CHEANEY, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Elm Grove; born, Nov. 18, 1819, in the town of Big Sodus, Wayne Co., N. Y.; his early life was spent on a farm; coming to Wisconsin in 1839, he hired out at $20 per month, and was set at chopping cordwood; tiring of this, he "struck," and was employed by the same man at the same work at $1.25 per day; in the fall, he joined a party of surveyors, and spent the winter among the swamps on the Wisconsin River; returning in the spring of 1840, he bought his present farm, and, two years later, built the old log house now standing as one, of the old-time relics; during these thirty-eight years, Mr. C. has cleared his farm of timber, broken and cropped it, built substantial barns, and, in 1871, a handsome brick house - a good home earned by the same spirit which prompted him to cut cordwood in "dog days" forty years ago. He married, in 1844, Miss Sally Harmon, born in Cazenovia, N. Y.; they have four children - John, Joseph, Andrew J., and Amanda; Nancy A, died when 12 years of age, and all were born on the homestead; all are residents of New Berlin except Joseph, who married Miss Helen Noble, and lives in Wauwatosa, Wis.; Andrew J. served a year in the Union army, and was discharged at the close of the war; his wife, formerly Cynthia Ottawa, died in March, 1879, leaving two children - David and Jennie (since deceased); Amanda is Mrs. L. Hines. Mr. Cheaney is an old pioneer, settler, surveyor and hunter. Politics, Republican.
HARRY B. CHENEY, farmer, See. 33; P. O. Prospect Hill; born in the town of Alexander, Genesee Co., N. Y., Feb. 12, 1815; son of the Rev, Rufus and Pruday (Piper) Cheney (see sketch of John Cheney). Harry B. Cheney married, in Attica, Wyoming Co., N. Y., June 20, 1835, Miss Saloma F. Hamlin, who was born May 14, 1815, in the town of Otisfield, Maine; during the next few years they resided in New York and Pennsylvania; Mr. C. made his first visit to Wisconsin in 1840, his father then giving him 80 acres of his New Berlin farm; returning to New York, he came up the lakes in a sailing vessel in June, 1842, himself and family landing at Milwaukee, June 16; his means were very limited, so that after his settlement on Sec. 32, New Berlin, he was obliged to pay half on a $14 cow by turning in a pair of boots; his home for a number of years was in a board-roofed shanty, minus chamber floors; the ax swung by Harry B. Cheney in early times cleared many an acre of the dense timber around him, though his family saw much of pioneering while living beside the Big Spring on the farm which he cleared; sixteen years later he sold out and settled in Rochester, Racine Co., where he made a good record and held town offices; in 1869 he sold again, and went to Ottawa Co., Mich., residing there four years; then spent three years in the village of Rochester, settling on his present farm of 57 acres in 1877; on this he has built a most pleasent home, where he overlooks the scene of his pioneer labors; Mr. C, also owns a 19-acre fruit farm in Michigan. Mr. and Mrs. Cheney have an only daughter, Pruday P., who married Allen Marten, a native of England and now a resident of Rochester; Mr. and Mrs. C. lost two children - Susan A., who died aged 36, and Henry B., died in infancy, from an accidental fall. The old couple are Free Baptists, and enjoy the fruits earned during well-spent lives. Mr. Cheney is a sturdy and outspoken Republican.
JOHN CHENEY, farmer, Sec. 32; P. 0; Prospect Hill; born April 9, 1807, in the town of St. Johnsbury, Caledonia Co., Vt.; his father, the Rev. Rufus Cheney, was born May 4, 1780, in Antrim, N. H., where he grew to manhood, and married Prude Piper, also of New Hampshire; he was ordained as a Baptist minister in 1810, and made his residence in various Eastern States prior to his coming to Franklin, Milwaukee Co., Wis., in 1838,; his first visit here was in the spring of 1836, and he was the first Free Baptist preacher to locate in Wisconsin; settling on Sec. 32, New Berlin, in the fall of 1839, the first Free Will Baptist church was organized in his log house on the 11th of July, 1840. then called the New Berlin Free Will Baptist Church, now the Prospect Hill Church; this pioneer preacher, earning the love and reverence of all by his blameless life, died Aug. 30, 1869; his son, our subject, removed from Genesee Co., N. Y., to New Berlin in June, 1842; his first trip was in 1841, and this farm, bought then (partly of his father), has been his home for thirty-eight years; he has cleared it, fenced and cultivated it, and made a good home. He married, in Genesee Co., N. Y., Ann Eliza Gray, of Attica, Wyoming Co., N. Y., who died in 1842, leaving four children - Francis M., Teresa C. (Mrs. Dr. Ingersoll), William H., and Cynthia M. Francis M. is in Alameda, Cal., and the two youngest in Rice Co., Minn.; all were born in Attica, N. Y. Mr. Cheney married again-Mary A. Parmenter, of Attica. He is a sturdy old settler, and Republican (old-time Abolitionist), and has been for forty-two years a member of the Free Will Baptist Church; was also one of the first Assessors of New Berlin.
JOHN EVANS, farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Greenfield, Milwaukee Co., Wis.; born in the town of New Lisbon, Otsego Co., N. Y., July 6, 1819; the first nineteen years of his life were spent here, he attending the common schools, and learning the trade of shoemaker, which he followed about six years in Alabama, Genesee Co., N. Y. Married in Alabama, Miss Lucy L. Peckham, a native of Norwich, Conn., born in 1822, and removed with her parents to Genesee Co., in 1824. In 1844, Mr. E. made his first visit to Wisconsin, stopping for a time with his brother Sidney, the first settler in New Berlin, visited Racine and Walworth Counties, returned, and in May, 1846, came again and bought out his brother Sidney, who claimed and settled on it late in May, 1836; built the first log-house, by a "pale-face," within the boundaries of what was then the town of Mentor, now New Berlin; it was twelve feet square, and stood about twenty-five feet east of Mr. Evans' brick residence; his claim shanty, previously rolled up, was on the site of George Long's house. Sidney Evans, was born in Pownell, Vt., and came to Waukesha Co., from White Pigeon, Mich.; his first framed house was burned, and the one replacing it, and sold to John Evans, was sided with lumber brought from Chautauqua Co., N. Y. The 80-acre farm of John Evans, once a forest, was for many years, in early times, assessed higher than any other farm in the town, as more clearing and better buildings were to be found upon it. Mr. E., a true Democrat, was first elected Assessor in 1847, served six or eight years, and a number of years as Supervisor; he was elected Chairman in 185-(See County Records in General History), served through the war, doing much to secure New Berlin's splendid war record, and has been a member of the County Board longer than any other resident of the county; he was Chairman of the County Board in 1878-79, and his official record is above reproach. Mr. and Mrs. Evans have four living children-Philena A., born in Alabama, N. Y.; Mrs. Alonzo L., Alva E. and Elbert J., all born on the New Berlin homestead. During the past twenty years Mr. E. has been a member of the M. E. Church, his wife, formerly a Baptist, joining him in 1868. Mr. E. takes a lively interest in all relating to early times, and was the leading spirit, with A. E. Gilbert, in collecting the data, for the township history, in 1871.
LYMAN EVANS, farmer, Sec. 12; P. O. Greenfield, Milwaukee Co., Wis.; born Jan. 24, 1824, in the town of New Lisbon, Otsego Co., N. Y., where he lived up to 1837; that year his parents, John and Mary (Martin) Evans settled in Genesee Co., N. Y.; he left there in 1844, coming on the second boat from Buffalo to Milwaukee, and reaching New Berlin in May; the first year was spent as a laboring man, and the next year he bought his present farm of 80 acres, a few acres were cleared, and the remainder was a wilderness; the labor of Mr. E. has cleared off the farm, with the exception of 15 acres, and also built a most pleasant farmhouse for a home, besides a substantial basement, barn, etc. He married in 1846, Miss Maria, daughter of Capt. John Bell; Capt. B. was a native of Otsego Co., N. Y., and married Sally Harrington (a sister of Perry G.); Mrs. Evans was born in New Lisbon, Otsego Co., N. Y., and accompanied her parents to Greenfield, Milwaukee Co., 1842; her well-known pioneer father, now in his 89th year still resides where he then settled, and where his wife died, Aug. 25, 1877; Mr. and Mrs. Evans have three children-Mary, Orville and Hattie; the second son, Albert, died Jan. 9, 1877, aged 21; the children were all born on the farm the father bought thirty-six years ago, and now enjoy the home he has earned for them. Mr. E. is a Democrat, and has been a Supervisor of New Berlin.
A. E. GILBERT, farmer, Sec. 27; P. O. Prospect Hill; is a son of Daniel Gilbert, who was born in April, 1791, in New Hampshire; removed from there to Vermont and settled in new York in 1817 or 1818. Married Catharine Showerman, by whom he had ten children; of these, A. E. was born Aug. 17, 1824, in Alexander, Genesee Co., N. Y.; the family came up the lakes in August, 1839, spent a few weeks in Milwaukee, and drove their team into New Berlin late in September, 1839, joining Hiram Hollister, whose family soon arrived from the East; the twenty-two persons in both families occupied this single-roomed log house until Mr. Gilbert finished one on his claim, which he bought for $50; two or three acres only were cleared, and the remainder a forest; Mr. Gilbert, at one time, owned 480 acres, and 200 were cleared by himself and his sons, A. E., Sylvanus, Myron and Seymour; he died, full of years and honors, in December, 1877, his widow still residing with Sylvanus, on his 195 acres of the homestead. A. E. Gilbert first located, for two years, on Sec. 33; sold out in 1852, and went to Will Co., Ill.; he was in charge of a gang in the construction of the St. L., A. & C. R. R., also others, and was engaged in the quarries at Joliet for a time; returning in 1861, he bought his present farm of 190 acres; on this the improvements were made by Mr. Hollister, who claimed it in 1837. Hiram Hollister was born in Massachusetts, April 4, 1798, and died Jan. 1, 1874; his widow, formerly Sophronia Barrow, was born Aug. 18, 1795, in Connecticut; their daughter, Harriet E., born in Oneida Co., N. Y., married A. E. Gilbert in Oct. 1849, and they have four children-Minnie M., Willis L., Florence M. and Herbert M., all born on the homestead; they lost two sons, Ernest and Willie, in Illinois. Mr. Gilbert is a Republican; served several terms as Town Clerk and Treasurer, represented his District in the State Assembly in 1878-79, and is now Chairman of the Town, although it is strongly Democratic; as a Religionist, Mr. Gilbert believes in doing right in this world, and leaves the rest to Him who doeth all things well.
PETER GOFF, farmer, Sec. 35; P. O. Tess Corners; born in or about 1808, in the province of Leinster, Co. of Louth, Ireland; he came to America when 17 or 18 years of age, worked a short time in a factory at Paterson, N. J., then engaged in farming on the Holland Purchase (Wyoming Co., N. Y.); sold out his claim there in 1836 and went to Cook Co., Ill., where he owned 380 acres; in 1840, Philip Riley, Patrick Kerwin and himself came to Waukesha County, Mr. Goff settling where he is now, and Messrs. Kerwin and Riley near him; Mr. Goff began here in a claim shanty built among timber so dense as to shut out the noonday sun; felling trees to right and left, he planted a few Irish potatoes among the stumps for his first crop; these grew as large as quart cups, while white turnips were immensely large; the seed potatoes were brought in by him, on his shoulders, from the Fox River Valley; from wheat bought of N. K. Smith, he raised the first crop in this vicinity. Peter Goff is a genuine old settler, whose salt pork was, in early times, brought from Milwaukee; his 240-acre farm, with the excellent buildings, prove that his labor and management were rewarded. He married Mary Loughney, of Telara, County of Mayo, Ireland; they have four children-Matthew L., Eliza, Mary and Teresa, all born on the New Berlin Homestead; the family are Catholics and Democrats. Mr. Goff, in early times, assessed the town, but would not qualify as Justice of the Peace; he is also a radical temperance man, who has not allowed a drop of liquid damnation to be used upon his farm. M. L. Goff, born in 1845, was educated in the district schools and Carroll College, spent 1877 and 1878 in Nebraska, visiting Missouri, Kansas and Iowa. He married, in Feb. 1880, Miss Annie M., daughter of John Burns, deceased, one of the pioneers of Muskego.
WILLIAM GRASER, farmer Sec. 21; P.O. New Berlin; born June 10, 1848, on the homestead in New Berlin; his parents, Jacob and Wilhelmina (Wischan) Graser were born and married in Bavaria; their settlement in New Berlin was in 1847, on forty acres of the present farm; of the dense wilderness not a stick had been cut; the first blows were towards a log house, which did for a time without doors or windows; roads, bridges, schoolhouses, etc., were as rare as big oak and maple trees were plenty; timber was rolled up, burned in "log-heaps," and the ashes exchanged for necessaries. Our subject first saw the light among these primitive scenes, and has grown up to manhood on soil now valued at from $60 to $80 per acre. The father died in 1874, and the mother in 1879; William received his schooling, in early times, in District No. 1.; married Miss Johanna Schaetgel, of Germantown, Wis., by whom he has four children--Elizabeth, Catharine, William and an infant son; a daughter, Wilhelmina, died when 17 months old. Mr. Graser is a live young farmer, owns 73 1/3 acres in the homestead and 60 in Muskego; he has been a thrasher since he was 18; belongs to the German Reformed Church. Is a Democrat; has been Constable twice, and is now Town Treasurer.
HIRAM E. HALE, farmer and miller, P. O. Prospect Hill; born April 30, 1825, in Manchester, Hartford Co., Conn.; his parents, William and Myra (Flint) Hale, were both of Connecticut, and had six children, four sons, each of whom took their father's trade of millwright; William P., the eldest, came to Waukesha Co. in July, 1839, locating in New Berlin, in the spring of 1840; he bought the water power, on Sec. 32, in 1841; built a dam and started a turning lathe; built a saw-mill in 1843; and was joined by his brother, Hiram E., who bought a third interest; they then put in flouring machinery, and, in 1848, an engine, which ran the mill about twelve years; W. P. Hale sold, in 1855, to O. G. Nevins, who was bought out, three years later, by H. E. Hale; the old mill is dismantled, and has been silent since 1868; Mr. Hale bought the water power on the town line, in 1861, and built the flouring mill in 1868. He has eighty-five acres of land, beside his grist and saw mill, the only one in New Berlin or Muskego. He married, in 1849, Miss Juliette Clark, of Litchfield, Conn., who died in 1873; in November, 1873, he married Miss Malinda A., daughter of Daniel Gilbert, who settled with a family in New Berlin, in 1839. Mr. and Mrs. Hale have two children-Winnifred E. and Floy C. Mr. Hale was educated in his native State, united with the F. B. Church in 1847, and has been deacon of the Prospect Hill Church for many years, Politics, Republican.
DENNIS HANNA, deceased; was born on Palm Sunday, 1812; in 1842, he married Elizabeth Dugdale, in her native town of Douglas, Isle of Man; they emigrated two years later, and came, via Albany, the Erie Canal and lakes, to Milwaukee; they stopped for a short time with William Killips, Mr. H. then going to Illinois, where his wife afterward joined him, they residing near Aurora, until 1845, when they returned, Mr. Hanna working tow years for Mr. Killips, then settled on 40 acres of the present farm, built a log house, and started for himself; adding 40 acres in 1859, and died April 6, 1872, leaving seven children-Margaret, Julia, Dennis, Christopher, William, Frank and James; the eldest was born on the Isle of Man, and the others in New Berlin. The family belong to the Catholic Church, and are Democrats. Dennis Hanna was an honest, hardworking man, who served with credit as Chairman and Treasurer of his town; his third son, William, is now serving his second term as Assessor; the mother and three children are residing in a good brick house, built on the old place, in lieu of the log cabin of yore.
JOHN L. INGERSOLL, Prospect Hill; born Oct. 20, 1823, in Pittsford, Rutland Co., Vt. His father, the Rev. John Ingersoll, was born in Bennington Co., Vt., July 5, 1792; educated at Middlebury College, studied theology under Rev. Dr. Hopkins, and was ordained as a Congregationalist minister; he married Mary, daughter of Judge Robert Livingston, a pioneer of St. Lawrence Co., N. Y. Elder Ingersoll was the father of five children; Ruth A., born in St. Lawrence Co., N. Y.; John L. and Mary J., born in Pittsford, Vt.; Ebon C., born Dec. 12, 1831, in Marshall, Oneida Co., N. Y., and Robert G., born Aug. 12, 1833, in West Dresden, Yates Co., N. Y. E. C. Ingersoll studied law, came to the bar in 1854, settled in Illinois, and, at the death of Owen Lovejoy, succeeded that anti-slavery hero, representing his district, the 5th, for seven years in Congress, dying in Washington, D. C., May 31, 1879. Robert G. Ingersoll studied law with his brother, an, as is known around the world, has risen to the foremost ranks of America's orators, writers and thinkers; his original, always fresh and eloquent, speeches have commanded the attention of all civilization, and need no eulogy here; the mother of these three sons died in 1835, they accompanying the father to Waukesha, in 1848; the two younger sons are attending Carroll College, under tuition of Prof. Wenaeus; John L. was for three years a student of Oberlin College, studied medicine in Lee Co., Ill., and attended the lectures in Rush Medical College from 1846 to 1848; began practice upon his settlement at Prospect Hill, in 1849; married in 1851 Miss Teresa C., daughter of John and Anneliza (Grey) Cheney; she is a granddaughter of the Rev. Rufus Cheney, and was born in Attica, Wyoming Co., N. Y. Dr. Ingersoll named Prospect Hill at the establishment of the post office here, on account of its commanding one of the finest views in the State. He, like his distinguished brother, is a Republican. In early times he was Town Superintendent of schools; is a notary-public, and has been for years. Dr. and Mrs. Ingersoll have four children-Mary A., born 1853, in New Berlin; Burton C., born 1856, in Niles, Mich.; John F., born 1859, in New Berlin; and Ruth A., born 1861, in New Berlin; the youngest son is now agent of the mail route from Portage to Stevens Point. The Doctor is large, well-built and seemingly in the full vigor of manhood, a staunch advocate of temperance; his clear and forcible ideas are always in demand at meetings of this kind.
ABRAHAM KERN, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Waukesha; born in Sprendelingen, Province of Rhine Hessen, Hesse Darmstadt, Jan. 2, 1819; he was educated in Germany, and, in 1843, his parents, Lorenz and Katrina Kern, came to America, reaching Milwaukee, July 18, and New Berlin, Aug. 3, 1843; Lorenz Kern bought and improved a farm on Sec. 17, where he died, July 5, 1869, and where his widow now lives, in her 91st year (the oldest person in New Berlin). Abraham Kern lived eight years with is parents, then settled on his present farm of 40 acres; it was then a forest, and has been cleared by Mr. Kern, who has built a pleasant home, with barn, etc., his land and that around it being worth fivefold its value thirty-seven years ago. In 1849, he married Matilde Wilde, who was born in Barwalde, Province of Brandenburg, Prussia, in 1823, and came to America and Wisconsin, in 1848. They are members of the Evangelical Reformed Church. Mr. Kern is a Democrat, was Collector in 1854-55, and is now serving his fourth term as Supervisor.
JACOB KERN, farmer, Secs. 16 and 18; P. O. Waukesha; born, Aug. 28, 1821, in Sprendelingen, Hesse Darmstadt; his parents, Lorenz and Katrina Kern, came to America in 1847, settling on Sec. 17; there were five children. Jacob, two years later, bought 40 acres of his present farm, built a log house, 18x24, among the trees and began the chopping, clearing and burning, which has resulted in his owning a good farm of 135 acres, on which is a large frame farmhouse, good barns, stables toolhouse, etc.; he paid $2.50 per acre for land now worth $75. He married Miss Catherine Damm; she was born 1822, in Kreigsfeldt, Bavaria and came to the United States in 1844; they have seven children-Abraham, born Dec. 20, 1846; William, born Nov. 9, 1848; Catherine, born Feb. 22, 1855; Simon, born May 1, 153; Henry, born Jan. 11, 1858; Peter, born Nov. 11, 1860, and Mary, born March 25, 1863; Jacob Kern died, when 23, in New York State; all were born on the homestead, and are members of the German Reformed Church. Mr. Kern was Town Treasurer, in 1873, and held school office for thirty years. Democrat.
WILLIAM KILLIPS, farmer, Secs. 20, 21, 28 and 29; P. O. Prospect Hill; born Nov. 13, 1818, in County Down, Ireland; came to America in 1837, and began as a day laborer, in Onondaga Co., N. Y.; during three years and three months he save $5, voted for Harrison, at Manlius, N. Y., and at once left for Wisconsin, via the lakes; Milwaukee was a village, with only a few stores; for two weeks ensuing, he made daily visits, on foot, in company with a Scotchman, to Waukesha Co., each night finding them at Vale's tavern, in Milwaukee; unable to get a $50 piece changed, they went supperless several evenings, and finally applied to Col. Andrews, one of the early hotel-keepers of New Berlin, who supplied them and said, "all right, pay when you can;" and, says Mr. Killips, "I did pay, and did not forget the kindness of the Colonel, whose tavern was near the site of my store." Mr. Killips had his money changed by Alexander Mitchell, in his small bank, perhaps twelve feet square, and, that fall, bought his first 120 acres of Government land, in New Berlin, adding 40 acres; that winter, which he spent with that kindly pioneer preacher, Rufus Cheney, he built a house, and was joined by his wife in the spring; this wild land was cleared and reclaimed, and the good work continued; Mr. Killips settled in his present home in 1868, he owns 400 acres in New Berlin, and has earned a competence; several years ago he built two large stores in Kewaskum, Wis., where his sons engaged in business; the next year, he built on Sec. 28, New Berlin, the large store and hall where his son Daniel now does business; the hall is in "L" shape, 22x44 and 18x26; it is the only one in town furnished with an organ, and has been used by Happy Home Lodge, I. O. G. T., since the organization; it is also used for lectures, parties, etc. He married Miss Elizabeth Morgan, born, 1821, in Haddam, Middleton Co., Conn., by whom he has six living children-Joshua, Daniel, William, Lydia A., Esther and Emma, all born in New Berlin; Robert, the eldest, enlisted in Co. B, 28th W. V. I., served a year, and died at Helena, Ark.; Joshua enlisted and served out his term, 100 days. Mr. Killips is a member of the F. B. Church, a stanch Republican, and a most earnest advocate of temperance; to illustrate: While building a new house, his carpenters refused to work without free whisky; one of them, George Hollister, stood by Mr. Killips, and urged him to hold out, going to the trouble of procuring new workmen, who finished the house, without the aid of fire-water; Mr. Killips has ever and always acted on this principle.
W. J. KILPATRICK, farmer, Sec. 13; P. O. Prospect Hill; born in the County of Antrim, Ireland, in 1825; his parents, Francis and Agnes (Anderson) Kilpatrick, were of Scotch ancestry. He married, in 1848, Jane Ann Fellows; came to America, in 1852, locating in Guernsey Co., Ohio, where he lived thirteen years, and owned two different farms; his wife died in 1860, leaving three children-Jeanette, now Mrs. C. R. Damon; Margaret J., now Mrs. John Killips, and Mary e., now Mrs. Albert Killips; the next year Mr. Kilpatrick returned to Ireland, and on Aug. 25, 1861, married Sarah Owens; she was born in the County of Antrim in 1832, and is of Welsh descent; they returned to the Ohio farm in December, and came to Wisconsin in 1864, settling on the farm now owned by Mr. Becker, in New Berlin; the next purchase was the Vanderpool farm in Vernon; they then spent eighteen months in Waukesha Township; in November, 1 872, Mr. Kilpatrick bought the old estate of J. H. White; 84 acres of this, with 73 on the same section, formerly the Martin place, constitute his homestead; Mr. Kilpatrick also owns 160 acres on Sec. 2 in Genesee, 60 acres near Muskego Lake, and 800 acres of maple timber in Michigan; as he spent the first five years in Ohio as a renter, and has earned every dollar and every acre himself, his record and example are well worthy of preservation. Mr. and Mrs. Kilpatrick have four sons-James A. and Francis O., twins, born in 1862, in Ohio; Henry J., born 1864, in New Berlin, and William R., born 1866, in New Berlin. In politics Mr. Kilpatrick is a Republican.
HENRY KORN, farmer, Secs. 16, 19, 20 and 21; P. O. New Berlin; born near Kerckheimbolanden, Rhenish Bavaria, May 11, 1822; his father, Peter Korn, died when the son was six months old, and his mother, formerly Margaret Wagner, was married to Christopher Damm (see sketch of Jacob Korn); Henry Korn reached New Berlin in company with his relatives, and remained until the fall of 1843; he wintered in Columbia Co., N. Y., with old friends of his brother Jacob; in the spring of 1844, he went to Europe and spent a year, returning to America and New Berlin. He was married in 1846, to Miss Philippine Schwartz, of his native village; she came to America in 1844 or 1845; they began on 120 acres of his present farm, on which a few acres were cleared, and only the ashes of a log house; Mr. Korn did the best of pioneer work here among the timber, and now owns 310 acres well improved, a tasteful frame farm-house, in place of the log house of early times, with all needed barns, etc.; he also has, 120 acres on Sec. 19, with fair buildings; Mr. and Mrs. Korn have six children-Philippine, Jacob, Peter, Mary, William and Katie; the eldest is Mrs. William Steele, of Pewaukee, and Peter is foreman of the Reform School Farm. The family belong to the German Reformed Church, and are independent in politics.
JACOB KORN, farmer, Sec. 20; P. O. Prospect Hill; born Feb. 19, 1812, near Kircheimbolanden, Rhenish Bavaria; his father, Peter Korn, died in 1823; the son came in 1834 to America, locating in Columbia Co., N. Y.; in 1837, he went to Florida, working on the railroads and as a carpenter; as he was in a dire predicament, seeing much sickness and hardship in both Florida and Georgia, he returned to New York. He married Miss Katherine Eiler, of Bavaria, and in August, 1840, reached Waukesha Co., with his mother and step-father, Christopher Damm, his wife and brother Henry made up the part of five, and were the first Germans to locate in New Berlin; Mr. Korn is not only one of the first, but one of the most prosperous of New Berlin's pioneers, having a splendid 200-acre farm, with the best of buildings, and a competence besides. Mrs. Korn died in March, 1877, leaving six children-Jacob (the first German born in New Berlin), Adam, Frank, Katie, Lizzie and David; they had lost three-Theodore, Celesta and a babe; the present Mrs. Korn was Mrs. Louisa Weinheimer (formerly Beyer); Mr. W. left seven children-Adam, Jacob, Maggie, Caroline, Phillip, Louisa and John; Jacob and John are on the farm, and the others are in Buffalo, N. Y. Mr. and Mrs. Korn are members of the German Reformed Church. In politics he is a Republican.
HENRY A. LUKE, farmer, Sec. 19; P. O. Waukesha; born Aug. 12, 1843, in New Berlin; is a son of Henry A. and Barbara (Damm) Luke, and was the third German child born in New Berlin; the family settled in September, 1841, on Sec. 20 of this town. Christian Damm, the father of Mrs. Luke, settled here in August, 1840, and in 1846, gave Mr. Luke 80 acres of land; beginning on this timbered farm in a log house, he worked most faithfully, replacing the log house in 1860, with the large and handsome residence now so good a home for his family. Mr. Luke died in June, 1862, leaving two children-H. A. and Katrina C. Mrs. Luke married B. Prior, and shares the home with her son who married Amelia Dexheimer Oct. 4, 1865; she was born in December, 1849, in Bavaria, her parents coming to America soon after; Mr. and Mrs. Luke have four children-Emily A., Tina C., Henrietta F. and Alvina M., losing the eldest, a son, Louis H. The family belong to the German Reformed Church. In politics, he is a liberal and independent. The homestead contains 160 acres, and Mrs. Prior has 66; the home buildings and farm have been much improved by Mr. Luke since his honored father's death.
JAMES MURPHY, farmer, Sec. 32; P. O. Prospect Hill; born June 27, 1842, in County of West Meath, Ireland; his parents, Daniel and Elizabeth Murphy; came to America in 1851, located in West Chester Co., N. Y.; came to Wisconsin 1856, residing in Beloit and Richland Cos. James Murphy enlisted, November 1, 1861, in Co. F. 3d W. V. I.; the regiment was first in Missouri and Kansas; at Montevello, the first fight, the officers became excited, gave contrary orders, the men got scared and "skedaddled;" Mr. M., as gunner for a howitzer, was ordered to Ft. Gibson, I. T.; participating in the battle of Prairie Grove, after which he was one of a party of twenty sent to stampede a rebel force at Cane Hill, Ark., and by a night attack, did stampede; the boys next took Van Buren, Ark., repulsed an assault by Hindman, and left the town, re-occupying it a year later, and using it as a base for raiding; a raid on Dallas, Texas, gave them 100 prisoners; pursuing Gen. Price from Jefferson City, Mo., the wily rebel turned and thrashed them, driving them to Independence, where they were reinforced, which enabled them to whip him in turn, and drive him over the Arkansas; at the end of three years and four months Mr. M. received his honorable discharge, and rejoined the old folks in Richland Co., where he lived until September, 1870, when he settled on his present farm of 40 acres; seven years later he built of Cream city brick, a large and elegant house, and made other improvements; his wife was Harriet J., daughter of William Vanderpool; he was born in Albany Co., N. Y., and married Elbridge Dodge, a native of Ludlow, Vt., who died, leaving her three children-Dike H., Eben V. and Gertrude L. Mr. and Mrs. Murphy, have two children-Guy J. and Dan M. Mr. Murphy is a Republican; Mr. Dodge enlisted August, 1862, in the 25th W. V. I., which regiment was sent to Minnesota, at the time of the Sioux outbreak; he returned to Cairo, Ill., where Mr. Dodge died, and is buried.
E. G. NEEDHAM, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Elm Grove; born in the town of Union, Tolland Co., Conn., Feb. 1., 1817; his father, Elisha, married Chloe Strong, and died in 1822. E. G. Needham farmed in Connecticut until June, 1840, when he came to Wisconsin, bought, and three years later sold, a farm in Brookfield; purchased his present farm in 1842, paid $400, $100 down; during the next six years he boarded with a family in Brookfield, and chopped, logged and burned on his own land, completed a log house in 1849, which still stands as a monument in memory of times thirty years ago. He married, Jan., 10, 1850, Miss Caroline Koch, a native of New Teirmgin, Prussia; her parents died in infancy, she coming with an uncle to America in 1847. Mr. and Mrs. N., lived 19 years in the log house, he then building the substantial stone house now so good a home for them and their six children; Chloe, Mary, Louisa, Esther, Julia and Anna; a son Martin, died at 12, and they lost three others. Mr. N. is a Congregationalist, and a Republican. In 1840 there was no house on the line of the present Town Line Road for two or three miles east or west of where he now lives; $1.75 and $2 per cord was what his cord-wood sold for in Milwaukee; his 120 acres is now partly covered with timber, which is worth about as much as the cleared land.
WILLIAM S. PARSONS, deceased; was a pioneer of New Berlin, as well as one of its most favorably known residents; was born Jan. 25, 1810, in Boston, Mass.; orphaned at nine years; his schooling was attained in his native city, where he learned blacksmithing in a carriage factory. Hannah St. John was born Nov. 5, 1814, in Norwalk, Conn., where she married Mr. Parsons, Jan. 2, 1831; soon after, they started West to Coldwater Prairie, Mich., residing there until June 1837, when they came to New Berlin. The present Parsons homestead was claimed by a person named Turk, who sold it to Mr. Conover, who abandoned it; Mr. Parsons and family settled in a log house here in June, and on Conover's return bought the claim for $10; it was heavily timbered and slow progress was made, scarcely enough being raised to supply the needs of the family during the first two years, so that when the claim came into market, in 1839, Mr. Parsons was compelled to induce a Mr. Scott to buy the claim and hold it for him; William S. Parsons was not one to give up the ship, however, kept his ax swinging and finally saw the dawn of better times, paid for his land in 1843, opened in a rented log house, the well-known "farmer's inn;" it was a few rods southwest of the present family home, which was built on the site of the second "farmer's inn," built in 1845, and burned after twelve years of prosperity. An incident is related by Mrs. P. of a certain Whitewater man who was more than suspected of stealing the oats from his fellow teamsters; A certain shoemaker returning from Milwaukee, placed a bag of shoepegs where the Whitewater man could help himself, and all went well until, at breakfast the next morning, some one rushed in to tell Mr. E. that his horses were sick, didn't eat their oats, etc.; the crowd proceeded to the barn, where about six quarts of shoepegs before each horse, revealed the true inwardness of affairs, and caused endless fun among the patrons of the old "tavern." Eighty acres of the present farm is part of the old claim of 1836, and the remaining 23 were bought by Mr. Parsons in 1840, he living to clear and cultivate a good farm and build up a most pleasant home. Mr. Parsons died Dec. 20, 1875, leaving two sons-William S., born Aug. 11, 1851, and Charles O., born June 14, 1854; W. S. Parsons attended Jennings Seminary and the American Commercial College, at Aurora, Ill., and with his pioneer mother now occupies the homestead; he married Nov. 25, 1872, Miss Emma M., daughter of Hazen H. and Aurelia Hunkins, and has three children-W. Hazen, born in Waukesha, May C. and Nellie A., born on the homestead where their father was. Mr. P. is a stanch Republican, as was his honored father, and is now Town Clerk, also Deputy Sheriff of Waukesha Co. Charles O. Parsons learned the carpenter and joiner's trade in New Berlin, which was his home until 1877, when he located in Albert Lea, Minn., where he now owns a half-interest in a machine shop with Aleck McNeil; his mother has resided in New Berlin longer than any resident of it, unless it be A. L. McWhorter.
JAMES J. PUNCH, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Waukesha; born July 3, 1817, in Cork, Ireland; attended school in his native city, and came to America in 1837; settled at Highgate, Vt.; afterward entered the service of Judge Aldis, of St. Albans; removed to Boston and worked two years for O. Dalrymple, then nine years on the farm of Chas. Stetson, near Lynn, Mass.; Daniel Webster was a frequent visitor on this farm, and was often seen by Mr. Punch. With his wife he came to New Berlin in 1851, settling on 90 acres of his farm, for which he paid $18 per acre; did good work clearing, breaking and sowing; his second crop of fall wheat burned with his new barn, one of the largest in that section; that fall he bought 65 acres more, and of the 155 acres once covered with huge trees nearly all are cleared, not even the stumps three and even four feet across being left to tell the story; Mr. P. has built a large farmhouse and good barns, etc.; his wife, formerly Hannah Fitzgerald, was born in the County of Cork, and came to America when about 18; they have ten children-Phillip, John, Mary A., Edward, Eilen, James, Jane, Hannah, Thomas Jefferson and George McClellan; the eldest served through the war with Grant in the 17th W. V. I., is now a prosperous blacksmith in Chicago, is also a Captain in the Ind. S. M.; John, now in poor health, was for years a yard-master in Milwaukee; Mary is Mrs. Capt. O'Connor, of Milwaukee, her husband being a commander of the Light Guard, also an engineer, and is now constructing water works at St. Joseph, Mo.; Edward is an engineer at Effingham, Ill.; Ellen is a most efficient teacher; James is the unfortunate one who lost a leg by the bite of a savage dog; he was educated in Carroll College, and is with the three youngest on the homestead; Jane is one of the trusted employees of Field & Leiter, merchant princes of Chicago. Mr. P. is a Democrat, and, as Chairman for the town, did much to secure for New Berlin the splendid war record of which she is so justly proud; one trip at his own expense rectified a blunder by which the officials in Milwaukee had required a quota of thirty-three men from New Berlin when twenty-eight was all she owed. Mr. P. has also been Supervisor and Town Clerk, and has held his present office of Justice for twenty-two consecutive years. He is a Roman Catholic.
ANDREW SNYDER, Sr., farmer, Sec. 22; P. O. New Berlin; born Jan. 1, 1813, in Alsace, France; his parents, Andrew and Eve Snyder, came to America about 1825, located in Essex Co., N. Y., where Andrew grew up to man's estate. In 1843 he came to New Berlin, bought his present farm, and a yoke of cattle with it, for $800; left the oxen in Milwaukee, returned to New York for his family, made the trip up the lakes, and drove his ox team to the farm, which he reached July 12, 1844; there were two log houses, 8 acres cleared, and the rest a wilderness; Mr. Snyder has cleared over a hundred acres, has 60 of timber; about 1860 built a large and substantial brick house; his sons have stood by him well in this good work, and two of them own farms given them by him. He married, 1842, in Buffalo, N. Y., Miss Catherine Casper, by whom he has six children-Andrew and George, born in New York State; Anthony, Joseph, Catherine and Mary, all born in New Berlin. Mr. S. was the leader in building St. Valerius' church, owning the best team and drawing nearly every load of lumber used in it. The persecutions of the Republican party in France, upon his forefathers, cause him to be a Democrat here.
ANDREW SNYDER, Jr., farmer, Sec. 29; was born in Essex Co., N. Y., Dec. 12, 1841; son of Andrew and Catherine Snyder, who settled in New Berlin in 1845, with two children, Andrew and George; they located on a heavily timbered farm on Sec. 22; two log houses and a log barn were all the buildings; the 173 acres were cleared and a handsome brick house built; the son did his full share at this; his farm was bought by his father in 1858, and it was almost in a state of nature at Andrew's settlement upon it in 1867; this sturdy young New Yorker has cleared 50 acres himself, and improved the remaining 25 acres by removing the stumps and stones; his large, well-painted and finished barn, and a tasteful and roomy brick farm-house, are among the rewards of his labor. His wife was Miss Susan, daughter of Mathew Stephens, of New Berlin; they have four children-Andrew, Jr., Katie, Susanna, and Mary, all natives of New Berlin. Mr. S. is an Independent Democrat; was Assessor one year, and Town Clerk twelve years; is also Secretary of the New Berlin Town Insurance Company, and, with his wife, belongs to the Roman Catholic Church.
NICHOLAS STEPHENS, farmer, Secs. 23 and 26; P. O. New Berlin; born May 14, 1844, in the town of New Berlin; his parents, Mathias and Barbara Stephens, Prussians, emigrated in 1843, coming direct to New Berlin, and settling on the present farm of Aug. Wilde; the family lived under a tree while building a log cabin, with Indians, deer, wolves, etc., for neighbors. Mr. S. was born here, and five of six years later, his people settled on his present farm of 109 acres; of the first 80, Mr. Stephens cleared all but 30, building a good frame house. He died April 15, 1876, and his wife followed, Dec. 15, 1878. Nicholas Stephens married, in 1870, Miss Mary Mann, a native of Prussia, whose family emigrated 30 years ago; they have five children-Barbara, born March 14, 1871; Elizabeth, born Nov. 29, 1872; Katie, born March 16, 1875; Joseph, born Aug. 15, 1877, and Andrew, born Oct. 21, 1879. Mr. S. has added to his farm, and in 1879 built one of the largest and best barns in his town, 40x70x18 feet, with 8-foot basement, and well finished, ventilated, etc. He is a Democrat, and was Supervisor in 1878-79; is a Roman Catholic, and a live, stirring young farmer of his native town and county, growing both grain and stock.
PETER M. SWARTZ, farmer and stock-breeder, Sec. 19; P. O. Waukesha; born Feb. 12, 1842, in Columbia Co., N. Y.; his parents, William and Anna Swartz, emigrated from Germany, married in New York, and came West in the spring of 1844, settling on 80 acres of the Swartz homestead; all their means were expended in a log house and a cow, the use of Jacob Korn's team being earned by the labor of Mr. S.; his first team was a pair of steers, earned two years later; his first vehicle was furnished with wheels sawed from oak logs, and he did good work, clearing slowly and well. He died March 29, 1874, and the labor of himself and his only son was rewarded, as may be seen, by the splendid farm of 160 acres, with its small village of buildings; the large two-story farm-house and two large barns, one 36x60 and one 32x105 feet, with other substantial buildings, were erected by these men, who chopped out the farm. Peter Swartz attended the early schools, walking two miles to the log house in the McWhorter district, also attending in the Smith district, Waukesha Township, and later his own district, No. 8. He married, Nov. 22, 1866, Catherine M. Phillips, who was born in New Berlin, July 18, 1850, her parents settling here in 1847 or 1848; Mr. and Mrs. S. have four living children-William, born Oct. 17, 1867; David, born June 15, 1870; Lydia, born Jan. 14, 1872, and Catharine, born Sept. 6, 1874. Mr. Swartz is a Republican. As a breeder of stock, he has 200 fine-wool sheep, having bred for 15 years past, from flocks of R. Richards, Racine, George Lawrence, and J. H. Paul; he also has grade Ayrshire and Alderney cattle, with other stock.
T. S. WINTON, merchant and Postmaster, Prospect Hill; born Oct. 17, 1831, in Butternuts, Otsego Co., N. Y., son of J. B. and Sarah (Tillson) Winton, both natives of Otsego County, N. Y.; in May, 1840, the parents and four children settled in Waukesha Township, the father building the third log house in that part of the town, Mr. Cluff building the first and M. R. Tillson the second; W. E. Sanford lived with Mr. T. in a bark-roofed shanty, floored and "doored" with puncheons; the Wintons also spent several months here, settling then on the farm where J. B. Winton lived, until 1875, at which time he located near Waukesha; his wife died September, 1875, he now resides with a daughter in Iowa. T. S. Winton attained the rudiments of his education, on a slab-seated bench, in the old log schoolhouse, on his father's farm; engaged in farming in Ashippun, Dodge Co., and in 1866, bought the stock and store of Daniel Church, and was appointed Postmaster the same year; Mr. Winton does a good business and owns two farms. He married, in 1855, Miss Emily A. Tillson, of his native town; they have three children-Louis S., Theodora E. and John S.; Arthur M. died when 15 years of age; all the children were born in Ashippun, except the youngest. T. S. Winton is a man who recalls with unusual interest, the scenes and incidents of frontier life; he is a Republican, and has been Town Clerk of New Berlin, and Justice of the Peace in Ashippun.