History of Congregational, United Church of Christ Churches
Congregationalism is a type of Protestant church organization in which each congregation has control of its own affairs. The underlying principle is that Jesus is the head of the church and the members form one common family of God. Congregationalism eliminated bishops and presbyteries.
Congregational churches began to meet in local and then in statewide conferences. In 1871 the National Council of the Congregational Churches of the United States was established.
In 1931 the National Council of the Congregational Churches of the United States and the General Convention of the Christian Church merged to form the General Council of the Congregational and Christian Churches of the United States.
In 1957 the Congregational Christian Churches united with the Evangelical and Reformed Church and formed the United Church of Christ. The National Association of Congregational Christian Churches was formed in 1955 by churches that chose not to join in the merger.
Known Congregational, United Church of Christ Churches Churches
Bark River Church See Libanus Congregational
Brookfield Congregational See Brookfield First United Methodist
Brookfield Congregational United Church of Christ Address: 16350 Gebhardt Rd., Brookfield 53005 Phone:262-786-4155 Website
Congregational Church of Genesee See First Congregational United Church of Christ (Genesee)
Emmanuel United Church of Christ (in operation) Established: circa 1866 as a Congregational church Other names: Union Emmanuel Church of Dousman Shared pastors with the Ottawa Presbyterian Church from 1905-1960 Present name taken in 1961 Address: 222 Grove Street, Dousman 53118
Evangelical & Reformed United Church of Christ Established: 1866 as the Erste Deutsche Reformite Kirche or First German Reformed Church Former Names: 1934 First Evangelical & Reformed Church Current name taken after merger of Evang. & Reformed and Congregational denominations created the United Church of Christ. More Info: In December 2005 the church was destroyed by fire Address: 413 Wisconsin Avenue, Waukesha 53186 Phone: (262) 547-2424 Website
First Congregational Established: 1841 Other Info: Plank Schoolhouse shared with Congregationalists, Methodists and Episcopalians. Episcopals left in 1844. In 1850 Methodists and Congregationalist joined in building Union Church (see below). A few years later they united forming Bible Christian Society. In 1884 the Bible Christians voted to join the Methodist Episcopal Church of America, now Sussex United Methodist Church. Location: Highway 164 and Lisbon Road, Lisbon Township See also Sussex United Methodist
First Congregational (Mukwonago) See Mukwonago Christian Fellowship United Church of Christ
First Congregational Church of Oconomowoc See First Congregational United Church of Christ (Oconomowoc)
First Congregational Church of Summit and Oconomowoc See First Congregational United Church of Christ (Oconomowoc)
First Congregational of Hartland See First Congregational United Church of Christ (Hartland)
First Congregational United Church of Christ (Hartland) Established: 1842 affiliated with the United Church of Christ in 1961 as a result of a merger between the Congregational and Evangelical & Reformed denominations. Address: 111 Church Street, Hartland 53029
First Congregational United Church of Christ (Genesee) Established: 1843 as the North Prairie Congregational Church Other Names: 1848 Genesee Congregational Congregational Church of Genesee Location: Genesee township Address: W306 S5075 Church St, Genesee 53149 Phone: (262) 968-3849
First Congregational United Church of Christ (Oconomowoc) (in operation) Established: as the First Presbyterian Church of Summit 1841. In 1843 the church became the First Congregational Church of Summit and Oconomowoc. In 1845 the group divided: Summit took back original name Oconomowoc group crated the First Congregational Church of Oconomowoc Became part of the UCC denomination in 1961 Address: 50 Church Street, Oconomowoc 53066 Phone: (262) 567.4461 Website
First Congregational United Church of Christ (Waukesha) (in operation) Established: January 19, 1837 Address: 100 East Broadway, Waukesha 53186 Phone: (262) 542-8008 Website
First Congregational United Church of Christ Established: 1838 as the First Evangelical Congregational Church of Prairieville Address: 701 N. East Avenue, Waukesha 53186
First Evangelical Congregational Church of Prairieville See First Congregational United Church of Christ (Waukesha)
Lake Country Congregational United Church of Christ Address: 400 W. Capitol Dr., Hartland Phone: (262) 367-5631
Libanus Congregational Established: 1854 as the Union Church of Congregationalists and Welsh Calvinistic Methodists; in 1859 the church split, majority became Congregationalist; remainder formed Bethel Church (across the street; see Welsh Calvinistic Methodist in Presbyterian section) Dissolved: 1920s Other names: Bark River Church Location: Ottawa township
Mukwonago Christian Fellowship United Church of Christ Former Names/Affiliations: First Congregational Established: 1857 Affiliated with the United Church of Christ in 1962. In 1972 withdrew from the UCC and affiliated with the National Association of Congregational Churches. Dissent over the moved split the membership. Led to the formation of the Mukwonago Christian Fellowship United Church of Christ Address: 231 Roberts Drive, Mukwonago 53149
North Prairie Congregational Church See First Congregational United Church of Christ
Pewaukee Congregational (defunct) Established: 1840 Dissolved: by 1915 Location: Village of Pewaukee
Redeemer United Church of Christ Established: Redeemer UCC 1968 as a result of a merger between Salem Reformed Church near Pewaukee and Zion Evangelical Church in Sussex. Location: Lisbon Township The building constructed in 1972 destroyed by fire and is being rebuilt Other Names: Lannon Welsh Calvinistic Methodist Address: W220 N4915 Town Line Rd., Sussex 53189 Phone: (262) 246-6710 Rooster Church See Trinity United Church of Christ
Second Congregational (defunct) Established: 10 June 1848 Dissolved: by 1861 Location: Northwest corner of Lisbon township
St John's United Church of Christ Established: circa 1880 Other names: Evangelical & Reformed Church until 1957 Since 1900 has been yolked with St. Paul's UCC in Erin Township, Washington County Mailing Address: P.O. Box 456, Merton 53056 Delivery Address: W28321 Sussex Road Hartland 53029 Cemetery: Highways 74 and F Phone: (262) 538-1912 Website
St. Paul's United Church of Christ Established; January 15, 1868 as an Evangelical church; merged with the Reformed Church in 1934; and became a part of the UCC in 1964 Address: N89 W16856 Appleton Avenue, Menomonee Falls 53151 Cemetery: In the churchyard Phone: Website
Union Church (defunct) Established: 1864 as a combined effort of the Presbyterians, Congregationalists, Methodists and Universalists. Methodists left in 1874 to form the Monterey Methodist Episcopal Church After 1878 primarily Congregationalists It is not known what became of the group after that.
Trinity United Church of Christ Established: 1869 incorporated as Lutheran church In 1911 it joined the Evangelical Synod of North America In 1934 synod merged with Reformed Church of the U.S. Later merged with Congregational Denomination to form UCC Other names: Rooster Church (because of the weathervane on the steeple) German Lutheran Church Address: 4435 N. Calhoun Road, Brookfield 53045 Cemetery: in the churchyard and the German Lutheran cemetery is on the corner of Capital and Calhoun under the watertower Phone: (262)-781-9378
Union Emmanuel Church of Dousman See Emmanuel United Church of Christ