Salem Evangelical Church Membership Roster 1933
Salem Evangelical Church
Source: The 80th Year 1933, 80th Anniversary Celebration
of the Salem Evangelical Church
The Evangelical Church, formerly known as the Evangelical Association, is an American institution. It was founded in 1800 among the Pennsylvania-Germans by Rev. Jacob Albright, who, through of German parentage, was a native of the Keystone state. Lowly through its beginnings and employing for years the German language in its services and publication, it has always upheld American principles and without coercion has adopted the vernacular just as soon as circumstances warranted. In January 1840, the first services of the denomination in Wisconsin were conducted in the towns of Granville, Greenfield and Lake, Milwaukee County, by Rev. John Lutz, an itinerant who had come on horseback from Ohio. During the following years to 1846-7 the rapidly increasing number of German settlers brought visits from Revs. Adam Stroh, Chr. Lintner, F. Wahl, G.A. Blank and the Millers, holding services at the homes of Lipps, Scheets, Keebler and Gredler in Brookfield, Hubmann and Swartz in New Berlin, and Nehs in Menomonee. In 1843 two log Churches were erected in Greenfield and Lake, the first in Wisconsin, in 1850 one was built on the North East one-quarter section 26 Brookfield, the first in Waukesha County. The tireless circuit riders of the zealful Church followed the advancing German pioneers into the forests and openings of Wisconsin, preaching in private houses, organizing stations and building churches, suffering the greatest hardships, content with the meager salary of fifty dollars to sixty-seven dollars a year and the shelter and sustenance offered by their devoted followers. After an official visit in 1843 by Bishop John Seybert of Pennsylvania, he recommended the region to Frederick Nehs a prominent member of the state, who bought 800 acres about Menomonee Falls and established the Pennsylvania-German settlement there.
By 1845 regular preaching stations had been established in Brookfield, New Berlin, Bark River, Golden Lake, and Menomonee Falls. On November 23, 1851, the first services in Waukesha were held by Rev. C.A. Schnake at the home of George Hackmann with an attendance of ten. Thereafter there was slated preaching supplied by Revs. Schnake and George Fleischer.
In 1853 the old Episcopal church, a small frame building on Barstow street opposite the present post office park, was bought and dedicated to the use of the congregation as Salem Church. Among its early pastors were Rev. Chr. Lintner and J.J. Escher, presiding Elder of the Wisconsin District. In 1865 a lot was purchased at the north east corner of Barstow and South streets on which a brick church was buildt(sic). The progress of the society has found expression in new and larger buildings. Rev. Carl L. Duft is the present pastor. The use of the German language has been discontinued as no longer necessary.
The Rev. Mr. Duft is a graduate of State Teachers College of Milwaukee and of the Evangelical Theological Seminary, Naperville, Ill. Prior to his entering into the ministry he taught history and social science in the high school of Belleville, and it was during these three years that he supplied the pulpit in the Evangelical Church in Baraboo. Following his decision to enter into the ministry he entered the Seminary and served as assistant pastor on the Menomonee Falls Circuit for three years. He accepted his first pastorate in 1926 in Seymour, which he held for four years before coming to Waukesha in May 1930.
In the year 1865 the lot of the present site was purchased and a church built and dedicated the following year under the ministry of Rev. William Huelster. Records state that the building was crowded on that day, and the sum of $800.00 was raised toward the building expenses.
The first parsonage was built in 1869 and remodeled in 1887. In the latter year excavation for a basement beneath the chair took place at a cost of $600.
The Waukesha Congregation entertained the Annual Conference but once, in the year 1893, at which time Rev. A.F. Wendorf, now a member of the congregation, was licensed to the ministry.
In 1901, under the ministry of Rev. F. Homuth, the present church was built.
Within the past twelve years extensive improvements upon the church property have been made. At a meeting of the congregation held July 31, 1922, it was voted to erect a new parsonage at 150 South Street. The fine home was completed at a cost of approximately $8,000. At the same time, the church was brick veneered thus giving the present church and parsonage an impressive appearance.
Many interior improvements of a minor nature have been made upon the church building recently. Three years ago the auditorium was re-decorated and new lighting fixtures installed together with a rheostat for the control of lights, which had been used very effectively for special services especially during the Lenten season. As asbestos roof was also laid, and the tall spire removed and a church tower built in its place. The mahogany table in the vestibule of the Church was purchased with pennies contributed by the Beginner-Primary Department. A candle-abrum containing seven candles, representative of the Seven Last Words of Christ, was presented to the Church of Good Friday of this year by Mr. and Mrs. Floyd H. Christoph.
Previous additions to the beauty and worship of the Church include an Esty pipe organ, chancel furniture and bulletin board.
The first gift to the church was made by Mrs. Sophie Buchner when she presented the bells for the tower. The Acousticon, which was provided through Mrs. Caroline Haese, deceased, has greatly benefited those who are hard of hearing. The late Mrs. J.C. Christoph and Miss May Christoph presented the Communion set now in use. The two beautiful electrical standards which grace the chancel were presented by the late Mrs. J.B. Christoph and daughter Lucile, in memory of Rev. T. Umbreit, the father of Mrs. Christoph, who served this congregation during the years of 1887-89. The chimes on the organ were also provided through the generosity of the J.B. Christoph family. Four years ago, on Easter Sunday the baptismal font was given in memory of the late Mrs. J.B. Christoph, by her family.
We gratefully acknowledge the following endowments which will remain as a perpetual memory to those who have passed away.
Buchner Fund $1000.00
Harry Busse 500.00
Ida Polfuss 1000.00
A gift of $1000.00 by the late William Sydow is pending, as well as a substantial gift to the memory of Lydia Busse.
The Ministers who have served the
Salem Evangelical Church, Waukesha, Wis.
1851 Rev. C.A. Schnake and Rev. G. Fleisher
1852 Rev. Christian Lintner
1853 Rev. G. Fleisher
1854 Rev. Oswald Ragatz
1855 Rev. Noah McLahn
1856 Rev. J.G. Eszlinger and Rev. H. Huelster
1857-58 Rev. John Hammeter
1859-60 Rev. J.G. Eszlinger
1861-62 Rev. J.G. Miller
1863 Rev. J.G. Eszlinger
1864-66 Rev. Wm Huelster
1867-68 not listed
1869-70 Rev. J.L. Stroebel
1871 Rev. Frederick Kurtz
1872-74 Rev. C.A. Achnake
1874 Rev. Carl Schneider
1875-76 Rev. P. Maszueger
1877-79 Rev. J.G.F. Zimmerman
1880-82 Rev. John Dietrich
1883 Rev. Otto Kuederling
1884-86 Rev. John Kahl
1887-89 Rev. T. Umbreit
1890-93 Rev. T. Homuth
1894-95 Rev. A, Tarnutzer
1895-97 Rev. Peter Speich
1898-1900 Rev. C. F. Reichert
1901 Rev. Otto Barowski
1901-02 Rev. W.G. Vetter
1903-06 Rev. H.J.Droegkamp
1907-11 Rev. J.P. Dorau
1912-13 Rev. O.R. Jaeck
1914-16 Rev. W.L. Zeller
1917-23 Rev. Geo. H. Nickell
1924-29 Rev. R.J. Schramm
1929-30 Rev. B.O. Maschman
1930- Rev. C.L. Duft