Old American House -1891

Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, Wednesday, December 23, 1891; pg. 4; col D

Waukesha, Dec. 22-the land on which was located the old American House, burned a few days ago, was sold to-day by J.J. Hadfield to John Brehm, Jr. and M.L. Kelly. The consideration is $10,000. The land is located on the north side of Main street and at one of the five points made by the junctions of Main street, Broadway and Grand avenue. It is 50 feet wide and 156 feet deep with a lot in the rear 40 by 250 feet. Two handsome stone buildings, probably three stories high, will be erected, by one by Brehm Bros., and one by M.L. Kelly. The building erected by the former will be used as a store and that built by Mr. Kelly as a restaurant and saloon.

Hadfield Farm Fire - 1893

Source: The Milwaukee Journal, Wednesday, February 01, 1893; pg. 7; col B

Waukesha Feb. 1-A fire last evening on the place known as the J.J. Hadfield farm, destroyed the barns and fifty-two head of registered Jersey cattle and five head of horses, for John Le Febre, who now owns the place. The flames illuminated the heavens, and many of the people here drove out and aided in saving the residence. the loss is between $10,000 and $12,000. It was only by extra exertion that the residence was not destroyed.

Pewaukee Fire - Stone and Cass - 1897

Source: The Milwaukee Sentinel, Monday, March 15, 1897; col F

Pewaukee Building Burned A. C. Stone's Store, Dwelling and Lodge Rooms Destroyed

Pewaukee, Wis., March 14-Shortly after 11 o'clock tonight fire broke out in the new three-story building, the first story of which was occupied by the dry goods and general merchandise store of A.C. Stone & Co., the second flat was occupied by Mr. A.C. Stone and wife and Mrs. Garner and the third by the Pewaukee Masonic Lodge. The building and contents were destroyed. Their value was about $12,000, partly insured.

The adjoining residence of W.F. Cass, photographer, was also destroyed, with a loss of about $800. The fire originated somewhere in the store, and the family was awakened by the fire alarms about an hour after retiring for the night. Several of the neighboring buildings were severely scorched.

Brookfield in Ashes

Waukesha Freeman, The | Waukesha, Wisconsin | Thursday, January 26, 1905 | Page 1

Village Suffers Terrible Loss by Fire.


Over-heated Stove is the Cause.

Every Building West of Road is Burned.

The village of Brookfield Junction was half destroyed by fire Monday morning. Estimated losses are:
Kiehl Bros. meat market $ 500
Brookfield Hotel 4,000
Brookfield hotel livery barn. .. 1,500
H. W. Wirth, general store 1,OOO
Postoffice fixtures and contents.. 500
H. Wirth, warehouse, contents.. 1,500
Fred Bolter, general store 3,000
Wis. Tele, company 500
A. Eichsteadt 500
Dr. Lonegan Office Furniture
Dr. Retzenthaler Dental Fixtures
Total losses, between $15,000 and $20,000. Total insurance carried about $11,000.

The fire did thorough work. All the western half of the village was reduced to ashes. The fire leaped the road, caught at a barn on the eastern side, and but for the work of the chemical engine sent as relief from this city, the eastern side also would probably have been destroyed. The largest single loser's are ex-Sheriff William A. Scholl of this city, who figures his losses at $8000, with only $3500 insurance, and H. Wirth, whose losses amount to $10,000, with insurance of $5000. None of the stricken property-owners have made decision as to rebuilding.

The fire started in Kiehl's meat market about nine o'clock Monday morning. An overheated stove was the cause. The fire burned fiercely and the villagers worked heroically to put it out. But there was only one well close at hand, and this had an iron pump, which was soon red hot, so it had to be abandoned. Then it became necessary to carry water some distance, and in spite of all the effort the flames made steady headway. The railway water tank was useless because there was no hose long enough to carry to the fire.

The meat market was located between the hotel and the livery barn, all three buildings being owned by Mr. Scholl. Both the hotel and barn were soon ablaze, and were burned with all their contents.

The flames swept on and Mr. Wirth's store containing the post-office, Fred Bolter's store and Mr. Wirth's warehouse fell victims, one after the other. A dental office in the Wirth building was consumed. Mr. Wirth saved his piano and a few other things, but most of them were burned. Mr. Bolter's store used to be the post office.

Small amounts of goods were saved from the stores, but so damaged that they were practically worthless. Almost nothing was saved from the Scholl hotel. There was a large amount of furniture stored there, when Mr. Scholl brought his family to Waukesha, to take up his work as sheriff two years ago, and this was all burned.

When residents ascertained that they could not cope with the fire they sent an appeal for assistance to the fire department here and to that in Milwaukee, but Brookfield had no water, so there was no use of sending out the regular engines. The chemical was sent from here and one was also sent from Milwaukee. The Waukesha chemical which arrived first did good work, when the blaze swept across the street, and caught in August Eichsteadt's barn. The chemical extinguished it, thus saving not only the barn but the Eichsteadt hotel, and very possibly the C., M. & St. Paul depot. These are the only buildings left standing in the village.

Several persons were overcome while fighting the fire, and it is reported that one or more was injured.

Charles Wandschneider, lessee of Scholl's hotel, got part of his furniture out of the hotel, but most of it was spoiled by falling sparks later. The furniture was at first carried only a few yard's from the fire and there sparks set fire to it. Mr. and Mrs. Wandschneider lost all of their clothing except what they wore.

Dr. Lonergan, a physician, and Dr. Pitzentlialer, a dentist, lost all their office furniture. They had resided at Brookfield only a short time. They had their offices in the Wirth building.

William Huberty, the village blacksmith, was hurt by an accidental blow from a sledge, and was unable to walk the following day.

Henry Wirth fell from- the roof of his barn while he was trying to put out the flames, and was injured, though not very seriously. He fell sixteen feet.

All the insurance on the burned buildings, was written by E. W. Delaney of Oconomowoc, who arrived at the scene of the trouble about three in the afternoon.

About forty firemen went from this city on a special train with the chemical engine. Many persons drove out from this city to see the fire. All the residents for several miles around the village were attracted, by the flames and smoke, and hundreds of people were at the scene of the conflagration. School children, worked valiantly with the older ones to put out the fire, and to stow away, the goods after the fire was over.

In Hands of Adjustment Co. - 1911

Source: Waukesha Freeman, The | Waukesha, Wisconsin | Thursday, February 02, 1911 | Page 1

Milwaukee Society Will Fix Loss on Spring City Hotel

The loss by the fire of last week at the Spring City Hotel has been referred to the Wisconsin Adjustment Co., of Milwaukee. a report from this company is expected in a few days. The hotel carried insurance of $16,000.

The source of the fire continues to be a mystery. The general opinion is that it must have been the result of incendiarism, since there seems no other explanation possible under the circumstances. The fire seems to have started in the elevator sharft part way up.

The owner of the property, Thomas F. Jones, of Ridgeway, Wis., has been in town several days since the fire.