This page contains a list of some Waukesha County Newspapers and links to some newspaper extracts. Newspapers are often available at local libraries in paper, book or microfilm form. Wisconsin Historical Society also has a large collection of newspapers from Wisconsin and the midwest. See their newspaper resource page for more information. You can also visit the Library of Congress Chronicling America Website to help identify newspapers in the area.
Daily Freeman, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
Oconomowoc Free Press, (Oconomowoc, Wisconsin)
The American Freeman, (Prairieville, Wisconsin)
The Evening Journal, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
The Freeman, (Waukesha, Wisconsin) Martin Cullaton, Founder
The Republican Freeman, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
The Waukesha Journal, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
Waukesha County Democrat, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
Waukesha Daily Freeman, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
Waukesha Democrat, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
Waukesha Freeman, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
Waukesha Journal, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
Waukesha Plaindealer, (Waukesha, Wisconsin)
News and Notes from Newspapers
The American Freeman
Source: Waukesha Freeman August 18, 1904
As part of Sherman Booth Obituary
The American Freeman was established at Prairieville, or Waukesha, in September 1844, by C. C. Sholes. A Few months before, Mr. Sholes had founded the Milwaukee Democrat in Milwaukee, but becoming dissatisfied with the position of the Democratic party in regard to slavery, he changed his paper to The American Freeman, and espoused the cause of the Liberty party, then first coming into prominence. A few issues sufficed to prove Mr. Sholes that Milwaukee would not support an anti-slavery paper, so a stock-company consisting of the friends of the anti-slavery cause everywhere in the state, but mostly at Waukesha, was formed, and the paper moved to Waukesha, where the anti-slavery doctrines were strongly prevailed. In fact Mr. Sholes sold his entire newspaper outfit to the Territorial Liberty Association, and entered into a contract to publish The Freeman at Waukesha during the next three years, solely in the interest of the Abolition party.
Many of the prominent Abolitionists of the state were members of the Liberty Association at the time of the purchase of the American Freeman. The Waukesha stock-holders were V. Tichenor, W.D. Bacon, Thomas Brown, George Hawley, T.H. Olin, N. Clinton, H.N. Davis, J. McNeil, S. Hinman, E.D. Clinton, Nelson Olin, S.R. Manning, B. Douglas, C. Wright, W.S. Barnard, Daniel Chandler, Edward Manning, and W. Morley. The Pewaukee subscribers were David Miller, J. H. Waterman, H.C. Waterman, A.J. Palmer, A. Clark.
Lisbon subscribers were S. Dougherty and A. Nottingham.
Brookfield subscribers were Moore Spears and J.L. Irwin.
There were also subscribers from Milwaukee, Beloit, Southport, Racine, Burlington, Wauwatosa, Aztaran, Salem and Caledonia.
Mr. Sholes continued as editor of the American Freeman about one year and was succeeded in 1845 by Rev. Ichabod Codding. Gradually C. C. Olin became possessed of a part of the stock and then of the whole of it. In 1846 T.D. Plumb became Mr. Olin's partner and a month later Mr. Codding bought out Plumb and the firm became Olin and Codding. Then Mr. Codding withdrew and Mr. Olin was again sole proprietor. In April 1847 appeared an article congratulating the readers of The Freeman that "henceforth Sherman M. Booth of New Haven, Conn., a graduate of Yale college, and who, with I. Codding, had edited The Christian Freeman, will have charge of the editorial department of the paper. He (Booth) has been a Liberty man always and an Abolitionist twelve of fifteen years." At or about this time The Freeman was removed to Milwaukee.