Village of Sussex
This lovely little burg, the only one in the town of Lisbon, is not very centrally located, but is connected with the surrounding country by several good roads; in fact, it appears that whoever laid our the roads, contemplated that Sussex would be the business center for this section of country. There are quite a number of dwellings here, besides three or four general stores, various mechanic's shops and offices. The place has a quite, yet exceedingly active appearance, the streets and cemetery being very handsomely shaded and well kept. Mr. Elliot was the first settler in this vicinity. His old house is yet standing, a little out of the village, and is occupied by one of his sons. Richard Cooling was the first villager. He came in June, 1843. Shortly after came Messrs. Fray, Smith, Brown, Champeny, Sims, Stone, and others. The first birth in the place was John T. Cooling, born November 16, 1846.
The first buried here, Charles Payne, December 26, 1843.
Sylvester Rowe and Harriet S. Brainard were the first couple married here, (Dates not readable)
A blacksmith shop was opened by Mr. Cooling when he first came here.
The first store was opened by William Brown, about 1849, in the house where Mr. T------ now lives.
About 1854, a union store was started by the farmers. this, however, soon fell into the hands of Mr. Cooling, who continued the business for ten years, finally turning it over to his son-in-law Mr. Templeton.
The first school was taught here during the winter of 1849-50, by Mr. Calkins, at the schoolhouse, built in 1849, on Section 26. There is now a very good school in Sussex. The old schoolhouse was used as an Episcopal parish school at one time and now used for a town hall.