History of Milwaukee Biographies

Nearly 4000 biographical sketches of pioneers and citizens
The Western Historical Company, Chicago
A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881

Biographies

 

A. DAHLMAN

A. Dahlman, of the firm of a. Dahlman & Co., wholesale grocers, Nos. 203 and 295 East Water street, is a native of Germany; emigrated to the United States in 1842, and came to the Territory the same year. This firm was established in 1857 by John Dahlman, Hon. Edward O'Neill, Timothy Dore and A. Dahlman; continuing until 1872, when John Dahlman retired and since which time the firm has been A. Dahlman & Co. The trade of the old established house reaches to nearly all parts of the State.

See also entry below for John Dahlman. Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1188

 

JOHN DAHLMAN

was born in Reeken, Province of Westphalia, Prussia, November 21. 1829. His parents emigrated to America in 1842. There were four sons and a daughter, only two of the sons being now living. The family located at Burlington, Racine County, where Mr. Dahlman remained five years, when he came to Milwaukee with a view of entering into some mercantile employment. He first obtained employment with John Furlong, who was then engaged in keeping a retail grocery at No. 242 East Water street. Being very industrious and leaving nothing undone by which the interests of his employer might be advanced his services became almost indispensable to the house, and on the 1st of May, 1855, he was admitted as a partner. At the end of two years the partnership with Mr. Furlong was dissolved, and in July, 1857, a partnership was formed with Edward O'Neill, Timothy Dore and Anthony Dahlxnan, under the firm name of John Dahiman & Co. In 1862, he bought out the two former gentlemen, but soon after re-admitted Mr. Dore, who remained with him until 1868, from which time he continued business with his brother until 1872, when, on account of failing health, he retired from business entirely. He served in the City Council during 1866 and 1867, He was elected Supervisor in April, 1870, and reelected in 1872. In February, 1873, he was appointed Tax Commissioner and was reappointed by Mayor Ludington in 1875. His administration of affairs has at all times given general satisfaction. Mr. Dahlman has been twice married, and has three sons, the youngest being two and the oldest ten years of age. He is a large real estate owner, his property consisting of houses and lots in the city, and valuable farming lands in the country. He has always been a firm friend of churches and schools, and has contributed liberally to their support.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1588

 

AUGUST DALLMANN

August Dallmann, chief maltster for the company, was born in Germany in 1846. He came to America in 1862, and to this city in 1863. He first worked one year in Sand's old brewery; then engaged in Blatz' Brewery seven years, when he commenced work with the Jos. Schlitz Brewing Company, where he has remained since, most of his work being in the malt department. Since the completion of the new malthouse in 1872, he has had charge of it. He was married in 1867 to Miss Mary Schmitt. They have five children. He has under his command thirteen maltsters and fourteen laborers. Resides at No. 698 Ninth street.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1465

 

W.E. DALLWIG

Manufacturer and dealer in boots and shoes, No. 157 Farwell avenue. Commenced business October 1, 1880. Makes a specialty of custom work, of which he has established trade; employs two men. Mr. Dallwig was born in Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, February 15, 1854, a son of F. and Amelia (Felker) Dallwig. Both natives of Prussia, who came to America over 30 years ago. He was raised a farmer. He learned the trade of shoemaker in Manitowoc. Came to Milwaukee in February, 1875, worked at the trade until he opened his shop. Married, September 20, 1877, to Miss Minnie Schoembs. They have two daughters and a son.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1451

 

A. DANDURAND

practical scale maker, No. 117 Clybourn street, commenced business in his present location in September, 1879. Mr. Dandurand was born in Montreal, Canada, in 1851; learned his trade in his native place. He was afterwards Superintendent of the largest scale works in Canada for three years, and left that position when he came to Milwaukee in 1878.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881

 

FREDERICK DANNENFELSER

FREDERICK DANNENFELSER, Station-keeper at West Side Station. Mr. D. was born in Germany, July 2, 1844. A son of Henry D. and Elizabeth Abbler, who moved to Milwaukee in the Spring of 1848. Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 341

 

JULIUS DANNER

JULIUS DANNER, proprietor of saloon, No. 579 East Water street, and cooper for the Blatz Brewing Company, was born in Baden, Germany in 1848. He came to Milwaukee in 1864 and learned his trade here. He was married in this city, in 1871, to Miss Amelia Panzreim. They have two sons and two daughters. pg 1491

 

D. DARWIN

Manufacturer and owner of the "Little Willie" wringer, and manufacturer's agent for Bartholomew and Calkins "Novelty" washing machines, No. 270 First avenue. Mr. Darwin is a native of Canada, born in 1850, and came to Wisconsin in 1854. In 1875, he was married to Miss Permelia Tower, a native of Wisconsin. He established his present business in 1878.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1279

 

THOMAS DAVIES

boiler maker, West Milwaukee shops, was born in England; leanred his trade in his native country; came to the United States in 1877; located at Indianapolis, Ind., where he was in the employ of Sinker, Davis & Co. machinists, one and a half years. In May 1879, he came to Milwaukee and commenced as an employe of the Chicago, Milwaukee, & St. Paul Railway, in the Milwaukee shops; has remained with the company up to the present time. Residence No. 175 Seventh street.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1359

 

JOHN DERRA

John Derra, saloon and restaurant, No. 589 Mitchell street, was born in Obermanndorf, near Bamberg, Bavaria, April 14, 1837; came to Milwaukee in the Spring of 1872. He first was employed by I.J. Mueller in teaming till 1875. In 1876 he was employted by Jno. Mitchell on his farm and took charge of the same till April, 1879, when he came to the city and took charge of the saloon which he owns. Mr. Derra married in 1864 Miss Kunigunda Elner. She was also born in Bavaria.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1486

 

E. DETWILER

foreman of the Milwaukee Gas Co's Shop, No. 342 Milwaukee street, is a native of Switzerland. In 1848 came to Newark, New Jersey. There he learned the tinner's trade; he also worked at the coach lamp business, in all about four years. In the Spring of 1853 he came to Milwaukee and worked at his trade; in about 1865 he secured employment with the gas company, and has since continued with them; he is the oldest workman in their employ and has worked for all the different superintendents. Married in 1851 to Johannah Robinson. She was born in Glasgow, Scotland. They have four sons and tree daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881

 

J.P. DEUSTER

boots and shoes, No. 437 1/2 Milwaukee street. Born in 1854, in Milwaukee, his parents having come to America, from Germany, about 1846; at the age of fourteen years he commenced to learn his trade. He started his present business in 1875. He married Miss Mary Young in 1875. She was born in Milwaukee. They have three children, two sons and one daughter.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1451

 

THOS. P. DEVER

Merchandise broker, NO. 305 East Water street, is a native of this city, and was born January 25, 1860. He grew up and attended school here and then entered the office of a merchandise broker, representing Eastern importers and refineries, remained there four years and became familiar with the demands of the grocery trade. In 1879 he engaged in business on his own account. He deals in fancy groceries and has the agency of the Kenosha Cracker Bakery; also for F. A. Kennedy's fancy biscuit and the Oswego crackers. He sells only to the jobbing trade.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1194

 

D.E. DIAMOND

engineer on the Milwaukee Division, was born in Canada, March 12, 1851; came to Milwaukee with his parents in 1855; when 12 years of age commenced railroading, as newsboy on the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad. The following year he engaged as brakeman on the same road. IN 1867, he commenced with the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company as fireman; continued in this position till March 20, 1872, when he was made engineer on the same line. Mr. Diamond has been in the employ of the Chicago & Northwestern Railway Company nearly fourteen years, and has met with no accident of importance. Resides at No. 382 Cass street.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1387

 

JOHN J. DIAMOND

Machinist and engineering with the Bay State Iron Works. He was born in Canada in 1844. He came to Milwaukee in 1853 and learned his trade with the La Crosse & Milwaukee Railroad Company at the North Milwaukee Shops. Commencing in 1860 he served three years. In 1863 went to Nashville, Tennessee and entered the employ of the Government. Returned to Milwaukee in 1864 and engaged with the Milwaukee & Prairie du Chien Railway as fireman; was with the company one year, then changed to the Chicago & Northwestern Railway, where he acted as fireman nine months, and was made engineer in 1865, continuing in the company's employ seven years. He then engaged with the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway, serving one year as engineer. He then went South where he spent a year, and returning to Milwaukee in 1874 he resumed work with the Chicago ^ Northwestern Railway as engineer. Continued with the company till 1879; from that time till July 1880 he was engaged for private parties running stationary engines. He then engaged with the Bay State Iron Works as machinist. Resides at No. 321 Clinton street.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1293.

 

REV. ASMUS DIEDERICHSEN

Pastor of the Lutheran Reformed Church, was born in April, 1807, in Gunebye Parish, Ulsnisensis, in Anglia Slesvicensi. He was educated at the Gymnasium in Schleswig, then styled the "Damschule," and graduated at the University of Kiel, in Holstein. After passing examination successfully in theology he was tutor in the home of Baron Krondorf of Eckenfoerde. Afterward he was professor in the institute at Wesselburen, Norderditmarcschen, where he also served as substitute for the aged pastor Gatzert in the neighboring circuit of Buehein. The pupils in the Gymnasium, Schleswig Holstein, were in demand as teachers to accompany emigrants to America. In the Summer of 1847 he came to the United States, and on the 8th of October of that year he located in Milwaukee, which has since been his home. He was assigned to the pastorate of the Lutheran congregation, in Cedarburg, but preached every two weeks in Milwaukee. During the Winter he taught the older children of the Cedarburg congregation, and the next season confirmed them. In January, 1848, he accepted the pastorate of the Reformed Lutheran Congregation in Milwaukee, which charge he has retained to the present time, 1881. He also has charge of a few small parishes in the vicinity of Milwaukee. He is paid wholly by free-will offerings. He is beloved by all who have come within the circle of his benign influence, and is a true missionary.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 943

 

JOHN A. DIEDERICHSEN

Principal of the Tenth District School, corner of Twelfth and Lloyd streets, was born in Milwaukee, November 13, 1853. He is a son of Rev. Asmus Diederichsen, a pioneer preacher of this city. Graduated from the High School in 1872, and the Normal in 1873. In September of the same year began teaching an assistant in the Fifth District School, and held this position two years. Then for two and one half years was Principal of the First District Branch; then in charge, for two and one half years, of the Tenth District School Was married, in 1877, to Miss Millie Bryand, of Milwaukee. They have two children. Is Past Master of Peabody Lodge, A.O.U.W., and in Commander in Banner COuncil No. 204 of American Legion of Honor.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 538

 

ADAM PH. DIETZ

Adam Ph. Dietz, proprietor of saloon at No. 418 Harmon street, is a native of Germany, born in 1823. He was educated there and learned the trade of machinist, at which he worked with his father for several years. He came to America in 1848, and worked at his trade in New York seven years. He came to Milwaukee in 1855, and followed his trade here fifteen years, when he established his present business, in 1852. Mr. Dietz married Miss Margaret Landgraf. They have five children living. He established his present business in 1870.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1491

 

CHRISTIAN F. DIEZ

teacher of piano, organ and vocal music, 195 Seventh street, was born in the Dukedom of Saxe Meiningen, in 1927. He was educatedd for a teacher, at the Seminary of Hildburghausen, where he completed his three-years course in 1848. He was engaged as a private teacher in a wealthy family of Germany, for two years, and then taught a private school for one year. He began the study of music at the age of 9 years. He came to America in 1851, and located for a short time in St. Louis, whence he came to Milwaukee to accept a call to the position of organist and teacher in the Lutheran Trinity Parish, which he held till 1859. Bronchial troubles induced him to leave off his teaching in the parish school, the tax upon his voice being too great, and turn his attention to giving private lessons on the piano and organ, which has sincceccupied his whole time. He has been leader of the choir of Trinity Lutheran church for over twenty- five years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 595

 

ADAM DILLMANN

was born in 1839, on the Rhine in Germany. He came to America in 1855, and located in Milwaukee establishing the "Old Menominee Hotel" in 1858. He is Treasurer of the Wood Preserving Company, and has been a member of the Milwaukee Musical Society since 1859.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1431

 

CHARLES DINGWALL

CHARLES DINGWELL, contractor and builder, is a native of Scotland, and was born in 1829; came to Canada in 1842 and learned his trade in Toronto; then he went to New York City; he came West to Milwaukee in 1865, and since then had been engaged in contracting and building; he had charge of building the Chamber of Commerce and Mitchell's building and many others. In 1855 he married Miss Ann Lambert of Edin(b)urgh, Scotland. They have six children, three sons and three daughters.

Note: There was no b in Edinburgh. That was probably a typo.
Source: History or Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, Page 1529

There was no b in Edinburgh, I am sure it was a typo.  

PETER L. DOHMEN

druggist, No. 138 Reed street was born in the Rhine Province, Germany, in 1838. was educated in the Gymnasium of his native city, Dueren, where he completed his studies in 1853. He spent three years in the drug trade in Dueren and Hoengen, whence in 1859 he came to Milwaukee, and was employed as prescription clerk by Dohmen & Mueller till 1861. He then became proprietor of his present drug store. He was connected with the South Side Savings Bank in 1868, and in 1871 established a branch drug store on the corner of REed and Mineral streets, which, in June 1873, he removed to the corner of Railroad street and First avenue. This is now under the management of Ernest Krembs. Mr. Dohmen was one of the organizers of the "Milwaukee Saenger-Bund" in 1862, and has since been prominently identified with this society. He was also the chief founder of the Wisconsin Phonological Institute situated in this city.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1041

 

PATRICK DONNELLY

Principal of Third District School, was born in Tyrone County, Ulster Province, Ireland, September 17, 1836. He received his primary education in the National schools of Ireland, completed his mathematical course in 1853 at "Six Mile Cross," Ireland, and immediately came to the United States. Spent the first year in New York. In the years 1855 and 1856 taught in Racine County, Wis., afterwards in various other places till September, 1864, when he accepted a position in St. Gall's Academy, Milwaukee, where he remained until 1869. He was then chosen Principal of the Pomeroy School, and continued till January, 1973. Since that time has occupied his present position in Third District School. Was married in 1874 to Miss McLinden of Milwaukee. Owns a residence, No. 190 Michigan street. Has been a worker in several literary societies. Many of his pupils are now teaching in the public schools of Milwaukee.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 533

 

WILLIAM A. DORFNER

residence No. 242 Grove street, is a native of Wurtemberg, Germany; came in Milwaukee September 15, 1868, and was married here in 1876, to Catherine Miller. They have two daughters. he is at present a cattle buyer for the Milwaukee Rendering Company.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1231

 

DORSCH & BRO.

Manufacturers and dealers in all kinds of farm machinery and implements, corner of Second and Wells streets; business established in 1858, in the same location by John Dorsch, and continued by him about eight years. In 1866 Mr. Dorsch took in as partners, Mrs. Matter and Mr. Strebe; the firm being Dorsch, Matter and Strebe. In 1870, Messrs. Matter and Strebe retiring, Lorenzz Dorsch was admitted as a partner, the firm being changed to Dorsch & Bro. JOHN DORSCH, of the above firm was born in Bavaria, in 1832; came to America in 1854; learned the trade of wood turner in his youth, which he has followed up to the present time. LORENZ DORSCH, member of above firm, was born in Bavaria, in 1835; came to America in 1853; had learned the saddler's trade in his native country, but worked at it only three years in America; learned photography, which he followed eight years; was afterwards engaged in mining in the State of Sinaloa, Mexico, about four years. He returned to the United States in 1869, and to Milwaukee in 1870, engaging in business as above.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1514

CHRISTOPHER DORSCH, flour and feed, 269 Third street; also, real estate and loan agent. Mr. Dorsch was born in Bavaria, and came to Milwaukee in 1852-tended bar, then kept a confectionery and bakery. IN 1860, he commenced his present business; entered into real estate and loans in 1869. He has been Assessor about eight years, and Secretary of the West Side German and English High School, for about twenty-one years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1185

 

GEORGE DRAKE

was the oldest child and only son of William and Jane C. Drake, of Milwaukee. He was born in Chester County, Penn., August 25, 1842, and had the ordinary advantages of a common school education vouchsafed to American boys in the humbler walks of life, to which was added the inestimable boon of a Christian mother's care, and the example of an industrious, hardworking father. At the time of the breaking out of the war, he had left school and was in the employ of the Milwaukee & St. Paul Railroad Company. He early threw up his position, and somewhat against the protest of parents and friends enlisted in the Milwaukee Light Guards. At the time of his enlistment he was not yet 19 years of age. He was florid, with light brown hair, mild grey eyes, and seemed more youthful than eh was. His features were firm set and showed a determined character, which amiability was stamped in the slightly dimpled cheeks. He was of medium height, with full chest, fine muscular development, elastic step, erect carriage, and in perfect health. Altogether he was as fine a specimen of man, physically, as can be imagined. He left Milwaukee on June 9, 1861, with the First Regiment of Wisconsin Volunteers, a private in Company A, and fell in the first engagement of the troops, at Falling Waters, July 2, bravely fighting his first and last battle. The fatal bullet entered his body near the heart, and he died an almost instantaneous and painless death, only whispering after he fell, into the ears of a comrade, with scarcely audible voice, the single word, "mother." His body was carried to the village of Williamsport, from which the troops had set out early the morning of the battle. The active duties of the campaign did not permit his comrades to perform for him the last sad duties of burial, but through the noble efforts of one Captain Kennedy and other loyal citizens of the town he was fittingly buried with military honors. He sleeps his long sleep in an unmarked grave on the banks fo the Potomac. Her murmuring waters sing his requiem as they ever hasten to the sea. His great deed-the giving of his life to country-is his only monument. May his memory be cherished, bright and vernal as the youthful life he gave.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 704

 

HARVEY W. DRAKE

of the firm of Drake Brothers, was born near Springville, Erie County, New York, in 1832. He came to Milwaukee in 1846 with Lake & Williams, who had a drug store on East Water street. The next year he went into the Sentinel office, where he served a regular apprenticeship; was afterwards foreman in the job printing office of Starr & Son, but returned to the drug business, and in the latter part of 1859 joined his brothers in establishing the house of Drake Brothers.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1038

 

HENRY T. DRAKE

was born near Springville, Erie County, New York, in 1840, and came to Milwaukee with his brother, John R., in 1851. Served an apprenticeship in the drug store of L.F. Lake, on the South Side, and joined his brothers on the formation of the house of Drake Brothers, in 1859. In 1861, he enlisted as a private in Company A, Twenty-fourth Regiment Wisconsin Volunteers, and was soon afterward promoted to Lieutenancy. He served with his regiment until disabled by sickness when he returned to the drug trade.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1039

 

JOHN R. DRAKE

was born near Springville, Erie County, New York, in 1824. He came to Milwaukee in 1851 and entered the drug store of Lake & Williams, was afterward in the employ of W.L.Hopkins & Co., wholesale druggists, who were succeeded by John Rice; then with L.F. Lake, who had established himself in the drug trade on South Water street, were he remained until the latter part of 1859, when with his brothers he bought out Lake and commenced business under the firm name of Drake Brothers. The firm thus established has grown with the city and now recognized throughout the Northwest as one of the foremost business houses. Their fine store on the corner of East Water and Michigan streets is one of the most complete in the whole country, and the admiration of both citizens and strangers.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1038

 

D. DREWNIAK

dealer in boots and shoes, at No. 662 Second avenue, was born in Krojanke, Prussia, Germany, January 9, 1849, and came to America, locating in Muskegon, Michigan, in 1870. He came to Milwaukee in 1872, and, in 1874, started his present business. In 1875, Mr. Drewniak was married to Miss Augusta Waide. They have three children.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1452

 

FANNY DRISCOLL

A young lady born and brought up in Milwaukee, has gained a large circle of admirers; her talents, also, have been appreciated abroad, as is witnessed by her contributions to such leading journals as the Chicago Times, Boston Commonwealth, Chicago Tribune, Indianapolis Herald, etc. Miss Driscoll was employed for some time in the literary department of the Sentinel, her efforts embracing some very attractive stories. She has also appeared in Leslie and Peterson, and is a young and graceful writer of much promise and commendable performance.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 579

 

JNO. D. DROPPERS, SR.

fruit and confectionery, No. 238 West Water street; born in Wenterswyk, Gelderland, Holland, in 1832. In 1847 he came to Milwaukee where he has since lived; commenced his present business in 1864, having presently learned his trade with Edward Emory and H. J. Goff; is a member of the German Reformed Church. Mr. Droppers married Miss Gertrude Boijink in 1853. She was born in Aalten, Holland. They have eight children, five sons and three daughters. Their son John D., is now carrying on this line of business on Wisconsin street; Garrett is now teaching in the Milwaukee High School.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 121

 

GEORGE DYER

This is the oldest and most extensive house in the wholesale harness saddlery and furnishing trade, in the State. It was established by Geo. Dyer in 1847, at which time he purchased the harness manufacturing establishment and trade of Mr. Armstrong, who had succeeded to the business of Russell Wheeler. The business at first was confined to the manufacture and sale of harness and saddlery. It now is, in addition to the extensive manufacturing department, a great supply depot for the furnishing of everything required in the harness and saddlery business. The store was (in 1847) located at No. 211 East Water street, on the site where Matthew's furniture store now stands. In 1849 the stores were burned out on both sides, and the stock removed, but again replaced, and the business continued there till 1856, when Mr. Dyer removed to Cross's Block. At this time Mr. J. T. Smith, of New York, became a partner, and so continued til 1867. During the time he was interested in the business the style of the fir was Geo. Dyer & Co. January 1, 1860,(sic was 1861) the Cross Block was burned, and the business was removed to No. 381 East WAter street, in 1872 the store was again burned out, and the establishment moved to its present location, Nos. 373 and 375 East Water street. In spite of the disasters by fire and the many seasons of business depression that have occurred during the past thirty-four years, under the quiet, but efficient conduct of Mr. Dyer the business has been established on a firm basis, and ranks in the extent of its trade among the heaviest houses in the WEst. The trade extends over the States of Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa and Michigan, and over this large territory it is an well and favorably known through its dealing, as at home, where the head of the house has spent his entire business life-a period embracing nearly sixty years.

Source: Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1445

 

PATRICK J. DUFFY

Patrick J. Duffy, Hose-Cart Driver No., 4. Mr. Duffy is a native of Ireland, born March 17, 1831. A son of James and Mary Jane Hughes Duffy. His father died in Ireland, in 1848, aged 45 years, and his mother died in Canada, in 1849, aged 52 years. The subject of this sketch learned the shoemaker's trade, and came to Boston in 1849 and to Milwaukee in 1853. He was married March 18, 1854, to Miss Mary Jane Michle, a native of Ireland. They have five sons and three daughters living-James, born April 15, 1855; Thomas F., born January 1, 1857; Mary A., born March 30, 1859; John M., born November 1, 1861; Charles G., May 2, 1866; Elizabeth M., November 26, 1868; Dora E., November 12, 1871; Austin E., August 12, 1877. His son Albert, aged 16 was accidentally killed December 17, 1879, by being caught in a belt in Fulner's planing mill. The accident will be remembered as being one of the most shocking, his body being literally torn to pieces. Mr. Duffy joined the Volunteer Fire Department in 1855, of which he was a member seven years, serving in the various capacities. In May, 1863, he joined the paid department as driver of Engine No. 3, and remained until 1872, when he went to Chicago, returning to Milwaukee in 1875. He again joined the department as driver of No. 4 the position which he now occupies.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 394

 

FRED. P. DUNBAR

passenger conductor on the Wisconsin Central Railway, runs from Milwaukee to Stevens Point and return; was born in Ludlow, Windsor County, Vt., March 8, 1847; came to Wisconsin with his parents in 1857; settled at Waupaca and commenced railroading in 1868 on the Indianapolis, Bloomington & Western Railroad as brakeman, his headquarters being at Indianapolis; was made conductor in 1870. In the Fall of 1873 he went to Ashland and engaged with the Wisconsin Central Railway; has been conductor on this line since the Spring of 1875. His home has been in Milwaukee since March, 1879. No accident of importance ever happened a train in his care. Residence, No. 204 Grove street.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1396

 

GARRETT DUNCK

architectural builder and general contractor, No. 493 Tenth street, was born in Alten, Holland, September 25, 1845. He came to Milwaukee in 1854 where he has since resided and followed his vocation. On May 12, 1862, he enlisted in Co. E, Twenty-fourth Wisconsin Volunteer Infantry and was with his regiment in active service all through the war; was wounded near Dallas, Allatoona Mountains, Georgia, August 28, 1864, and was mustered out with his regiment June 22, 1865* at Camp Washburn, Milwaukee; was married in 1866 to Miss Berendiena Droppers, who was born in Winterswyk, Holland; at the time of her marriage a resident of this city. They have three daughters and three sons. Garrett Dunck was a member of the Board of Aldermen in 1876, 1877 and 1878; is also a member of secret benevolent and other societies.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1529

 

J.V. DUPRE

J. V. DUPRE, abstractor of titles, office No. 475 East Water street, is a native of France; born April 12, 1846. He came to America in 1857, and commenced his present business in Milwaukee in 1874. His father, Victor Dupre, fled from his native home, a political fugitive, in 1851.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1658

 

DURR & RUGEE

DURR & RUGEE (Emil Durr and John Rugee), lumber dealers, corner of Fourth avenue, Park and Virginia streets, South Side (they have also another yard in Anamosa, Iowa), wholesale and retail dealers in lumber, timber, lath, shingles, cedar posts, sash, doors, blinds, etc.; bill stuff cut to order. Business established in 1872; the stock comes from Michigan and Wisconsin pineries; annual sales about $150,000. Mr. Rugee is a proprietor of a sash, door and blind factory, No. 385 Oregon street, and is a native of Milwaukee, born October 6, 1840; has been engaged in his present business in this city for the past twenty years.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1502

 

PETER DUSOLD

PETER DUSOLD, Policeman. Born in Bavaria, in 1824. Emigrated to America in 1845. Came to Milwaukee the same year. IN 1846 he went in the Mexican War, enlisted and served in the Sixth United States Infantry. Was in the battles of Vera Cruz, Cerro Gordo, Cherubusco, Molina Del Ray, Chapultepec, under Gen. Scott, and was with him when he entered the City of Mexico. He returned to Milwaukee and since 1849 he has lived in the First Wart of the city. He was appointed member police force in 1856, and since then, for a quarter of a century, he has been connected with the police department, and is one of the oldest members of the force. In 1849 he married Miss Rosalie Castee, a native of Switzerland. They have eight children, three sons and five daughters.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 342

 

CHRISTIAN DUSOLD

CHRISTIAN DUSOLD, foreman of the cooper manufactory of Joseph Fixer, is a native of Switzerland, and was born December 31, 1846. His parents emigrated to America the same year. He attended school there, and learned the cooper's trade in Chicago. Since 1873 he has held the position of foreman in the shops of Joseph Fixer. He belongs to the Masonic order and the Sons of Hermann. In 1873 he married Miss Ida A. Gross, a native of Milwaukee. They have five children-William H.L., Albert H., Walter W., Edwin A., and Ida E.S.L.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1532

 

C.F. DUTTON

Superintendent of the Wisconsin Central Railway, is a native of Alleghany County, N.Y. He began railroading in 1860, and was engaged for many years as civil engineer in that line. He was division engineer on the Canada Southern Railroad, and chief engineer on the Hamilton& Northwestern Railroad; was civil engineer on the Toledo, Peoria & Warsaw Railroad. He accepted the appointment of Superintendent of the Wisconsin Central Railway in July, 1878, and since then has occupied the position.

Source: History of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, The Western Historical Company, Chicago; A.T. Andreas Proprietor, 1881, pg. 1395