Includes Marriages, Births, Confirmations, Baptisms
GEORGE FREDERICK ZAUN, M. D.
is engaged in the practice of medicine in the city of Milwaukee, making a specialty of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat, and in addition to caring for a large and increasing practice he has for some time officiated as instructor and clinical teacher on the eye and ear in the Wisconsin College of Physicians and Surgeons. He was born in the town of Mequon, Ozaukee county, Wisconsin, on April 11, 1868, son of Jacob and Margaret (Bauernfeind) Zaun, both of whom were born in Germany. The maternal grandparents, George Bauernfeind and wife, came to America about 1848 and settled in the town of Granville, Milwaukee county, where they lived out the remainder of their lives. The father of the subject of this review migrated to America in 1840 and settled in the town of Mequon with his parents, who spent their last days in Ozaukee county. He followed farming as an occupation during the earlier part of his career, but afterward engaged in the elevator business at Cedarburg, Wis., and now lives retired in Milwaukee. While living in Cedarburg he served as a member of the board of aldermen for many years. Dr. Zaun received his preliminary education in the common and high schools of Cedarburg and later took a course in the state normal at Oshkosh, after which he followed the profession of teaching four years. While thus engaged he began the study of medicine and after due preparation entered the Rush Medical College at Chicago, where he graduated with the class of 1893. He then spent eighteen months as intern in the Alexian Brothers' Hospital at Chicago and practiced his profession in that city continuously for seven years, after which he spent two years in Europe, doing post-graduate work at Vienna and London. Upon his return to America in 1903, in July of that year, he located in Milwaukee, where he has since been engaged in active practice, making a specialty, as stated above, of diseases of the eye, ear, nose and throat. During six years of the time which he spent in Chicago he served as instructor at the Rush Medical College on Preventive Medicine and Therapeutics. He was married on March 10, 1896, to Miss Anna M. Stoker, of Chicago, daughter of Mathew and Jane (Murray) Stoker, both of whom were natives of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, England, and are now deceased. Dr. Zaun is independent in his political views, taking a deep interest, however, in public affairs, but he gives his support to the men and measures that meet his conscientious approval, regardless of the party name under which they are found. He was reared in the Lutheran religious faith, and among the professional organizations with which he affiliates may be mentioned the Milwaukee, the Milwaukee County, the Wisconsin State, the American and the Brainard Medical associations. He is also a member of the Phi Rho Sigma medical fraternity, and in the Masonic order has membership in Lafayette Lodge No. 265.
Source: Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II, Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909, pg. 189-190
JOHN B. ZAUN OR "GENERAL" ZAUN
As his many friends admiringly style him, manager of the South Side branch of the Schlitz Brewing Company of Milwaukee, was born in Mequon, Ozaukee county, Wis., July 26, 1852, a son of Jacob and Christina Strauss Zaun, both natives of Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, who came to Wisconsin in 1840, settling in Mequon township, Ozaukee county. The father first secured 160 acres of land, cleared and improved it, adding to the acreage opportunely, and he lived there until his death, which occurred in 1865, at the age of fifty-six. At his death he left each of his children an eighty-acre tract of land. They are the following: Catherine, wife of Henry Laun; Andrew; Eva, wife of Herman Heysen; Christina, wife of William Meyer, and John B., the popular subject of this sketch, who was educated partly in the public schools and finished his education at Northwestern University at Watertown, Wis. After attaining his majority he turned his hands to teaming for four years in Ozaukee county. During the winter months he was in the employ of the Hamilton Paper Company. In 1884 he became manager of the South Side branch of the Schlitz Brewing Company and has held that position for nearly a quarter of a century to the entire satisfaction of his employers and customers, for, while he is a welcome visitor and a splendid entertainer, he is a careful business man. He is married, his wife being formerly Miss Bertha, daughter of Hon. Frederick W. Horn, of Cedarburg, Ozaukee county, Wis. Their union was blessed with three daughters: Flora, Josephine and Hattie, all residing at home, 674 Walker street. Frederick W. Horn was a man of great prominence, as his protracted and distinguished services in the Wisconsin legislature strongly indicate, for he was a member of the Senate during the years of 1848-49-50 and 1891-93; a member of the House in 1851-54-57-59-60-67-68-72-75-82-87 and '89. This is truly a great career and very few men in any state in the Union have given so much of their time to the affairs of the commonwealth, and very few possess the popular qualities and the confidence of their constituents to such a high degree as did the Hon. Frederick W. Horn. "General" Zaun and his family are members of the Lutheran church; he is also a member of Schiller Lodge, No. 3, K. of P., of which he is Past Chancellor, being also a member of Uniform Rank No. 6, K. of P., and he is at present General of the Wisconsin Brigade, U. R. K. of P. He is a member of Lake Lodge, 189, F. & A. M.; Wisconsin Chapter, Ivanhoe Commandery, Consistory and Shrine. In politics he is a stanch Democrat, because he is a strong believer in the grand old German idea of "personal liberty," the idea that every man may eat, drink and wear what he pleases within the law. Among his friends he is highly thought of, being a royal good fellow, who considers all mankind as brothers.
Source: Memoirs of Milwaukee County, Wisconsin Vol. I & II, Jerome Anthony Watrous, 1909, pg. 234 - 235
HENRY ZIEBELL & SUSIE CANAR
Tuesday evening Mr. Henry Ziebell, of this city, and Miss Susie Canar, of Milwaukee, were united in marriage. The ceremony took place at St. Mary's parsonage, Rev. Father Richards, officiating.
The bride, Miss Canar, has been a resident of Wausau for about two years, coming here from Milwaukee where her people still reside. She has been engaged in the millinery business untilvery recently in the company of Miss Ringle...Mr. Ziebell was born and raised in our city. He is the son of one of our oldest and most respected citizens, Aug. W. Ziebell. Possessed of good business qualifications, he has for a long time been connected with the extensive dry goods establishment of C. Althen.
Source: Torch of Liberty [Wausau, Marathon County, Wisconsin], Thursday Sept. 27, 1888, Page 3 Column 4
JOSEPH JAMES ZIMMERMANN JR.
Joseph James Zimmermann Jr., 92, who invented and patented the first telephone answering system in 1948. His "Electronic Secretary" relied on a 78-rpm record player to greet callers and a spool of steel wire to record messages. He went into business with a fellow engineer, selling the company and patent rights to GTE in 1957. Zimmermann died March 31.