From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880Back to Main Index
PETER LAU, blacksmith; born in 1834 in Germany; came to the United States in 1854; learned his trade in the old country; worked two years in Cedarburg and vicinity, and then settled at Brookfield, this county. Was married in 1857 to Miss Brachen Wagen, formerly of Germany. She died in 1867, leaving two children-Bernhardt and Alfred. In 1863, he moved to the village of Waukesha, where he has since resided. He carried on blacksmithing in his own shop, on Madison street, and lives in his own house on Anno street. He was married in the fall of 1867 to Miss Heidel, of Theinville. They have four children-Clara, Maggie, Arthur and Amanda. He is an industrious and successful mechanic, a reading man, and a Republican.
REV. ROBERT LESLIE, Pastor of the Baptist Church, Waukesha, was born January 7, 1838, in Edinburgh, Scotland. He came to this country in 1851; graduated after a four years' college course, from the University of Chicago, in Illinois, in 1869, and from the Baptist Union Theological Seminary, in Chicago, in 1870. Soon after, he settled in Anamosa, Iowa, where he was ordained to the ministry. He married in Clinton, Iowa, in 1870. He was Pastor of the Baptist Church in Joliet, Ill., three years, and in Waverly, Iowa, for five years. He settled in his present pastorate, Aug. 1, 1879.
JOHN F. C. LEGLER was born in Naples, Ital, Dec. 23, 1854; came to America in October, 1869, located in Augusta, Ga.; he was one year there, and from 1870 to 1877, in Memphis, Tenn.; he then came to Bangor, La Crosse Co., Wis., where his father, Henry Legler, located in 1874. While in Memphis, he was employed as book-keeper for a hide and leather firm. In March, 1878, he went from Bangor, Wis., to New Orleans, La., and remained until November, 1879, as book-keeper in a milling establishment; March, 1880, he was appointed book-keeper of the Industrial School. Mr. Legler lived in Naples and vicinity, until he was 7 years of age, when he was sent to college at Lake Zurich, in Switzerland; remained there until he was 14 years of age, and then came to America.
REV. SAMUEL LUGG, the present Pastor of the First M. E. Church of Waukesha, was born in the parish of St. Martin, in the county of Cornwall, England, on the 11th day of February, 1837; he attended school while young, under the patronage of the Church of England, was baptized in that church, and was confirmed by Bishop Philpots, Lord Bishop of the Diocese of Exeter; attended select school under the patronage of Sir Richard R. Vyvyan, Bart.; served an apprenticeship to the carpenter and joiner's trade for five years, and left England when 21 years of age for the United States; came to Wisconsin in 1858; declared his intention to become a citizen in 1860, and voted for Abraham Lincoln; attended school at the Garrett Biblical Institute in 1861 and 1863; went south in 1864, in the service of the U. S. Christian Commission for four months without pay; lost his health in this service, and came home and worked at his trade for two years in the city of Racine, Wis.; joined the Wisconsin Conference in the year 1866, and was stationed at Utters Corners and Richmond, in Walnut Co.; in 1867, at Arfordville, in Rock Co.; in 1869, at Clinton, Junction Jock Co.; 1870, at Edgerton in Rock Co., and Albion in Dane Co.; 1872, at Elkhorn, Walworth Co.; 1873, First M. E. Church in the city of Janesville; 1875, at the city of Oconomowoc; in 1876, at Bay View, Milwaukee; in 1879, appointed to Waukesha. IN the year 1874 he took out papers of full citizenship, when Daniel Mowe,, Esq., and Hon. Henry Palmer, M. D., now Surgeon General of the State of Wisconsin, swore that they had known him to be a man of good moral character for upward of five years. He is a man of strong convictions, and hence has warm friends and lively enemies; he is candid and fearless in utterance; his congregations complain of his loud speaking when he gets excited on his subject; he is earnest in his delivery, and never asks any one how they liked his Sermons; this spirit of independence makes him unpopular in Waukesha; perhaps he is lied about some, but is, without doubt, the most unpopular minister in the village of Waukesha, and he expects to move away in October next. He cares less for himself than his Master, the Lord Jesus Christ, and believes he will go to heaven when he dies.
THOMAS McGEEN, painter; born Aug. 12, 1842, in Syracuse, N. Y. His parents came to Waukesha, in 1846, and this village has been his home to the present date. Enlisted on the 10th of May, 1861, in Co. F, 5th W. V. I. (the 1st regiment from the county), and he served until after the surrender of Lee, in 1865; was a prisoner six weeks in Richmond, Va.; was fifteen months on detached duty, as headquarters' guard; came home without a scratch; was married in 1873, to Miss Katie Haley, who died in 1878, leaving one child, Thomas, Jr.; owns the house on River street, the shop is on Clinton street; has been painter ever since the war; has carried on the business for five years. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum.
THOMAS C. MARTIN, attorney at law, was born in the town of Brookfield, Waukesha, Co., Wis., June 10, 1844; son of Patrick and Bridget martin, who settled in Brookfield, in 1842, on Sec. 26,; his father died in 1846; his mother now lives in Brown Co., Wis. Thomas C. was reared on a farm; attended Carroll College two terms; graduated from Larigo's Commercial College, at Milwaukee, in 1864; he taught school twelve terms in Waukesha Co., and two terms in Brown Co.; was County Clerk of Waukesha Co., six years, and during that time studied law; he was also Town Clerk in Genesee six years. Mr. Martin was married in the town of Genesee, Waukesha Co., April 28, 1868, to Mary E. Cassidy; she was born in the town of Cranston, R. I.; they have three children-Mary Frances, Daniel Joseph and Thomas James. Members of St. Joseph Catholic Church. Mr. Martin was admitted to the bar in 1878.
FRED W. MONTEITH came to Wisconsin in the summer of 1856, and located at Waukesha. His father, Rev. William J. Monteith, came the same summer, and was Vice President and instructor in Carroll College, and continued there until 1859. Fred W. was Principal of the preparatory department in 1856 and 1857, and engaged in business enterprises of various kinds until 1863, when he settled down to the practice of law. In 1860-61, was General Manager of the Esterly Reaper Works, at Whitewater. He was admitted to the bar in 1863; he has been Justice of the Peace. Mr. Monteith was born in Broadalbin, Fulton Co., N. Y., Nov. 17, 1837; he was married in Waukesha, Oct. 18, 1865 to Ellen Dunbar White; she was born in Windsor, Vt., March 2, 1839. They have two children-Willie W., born Aug. 13, 1868, and Maggie Ellen, born March 6, 1870. Mrs. Monteith's father, William White (son of Daniel and Martha C. White), was born at Mt. Holly, Vt., July 5, 1806; he was married at Windsor, Vt, in December, 1835, to Jane C. Dunbar; came to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1845; to Waukesha in 1849; he died in Waukesha Jan. 9, 1879.
DR. V. L. MOORE came to Watertown in the fall of 1849; is the son of Alexander R. Moore, who settled there in the fall of 1849; he was educated in the Old Homeopathic College of Philadelphia now the Hahnemann Medical College. Dr. Moore engaged in hospital practice a little over a year in Philadelphia, then came to Sparta, Wis., where he remained nearly a year, then went to Watertown; continued in practice there until he entered the United States service in 1862. He was in service about three years, and went out as one of the lay surgeons. Jun 16, 1865, he came to Waukesha and has been engaged in practice here ever since. Dr. Moore was married at Sparta, Wis., to Elisa Jane Phillips, daughter of Enos M. Phillips, one of the pioneers of Wisconsin; she was born in Pennsylvania. They have one child-Alice Mary.
LEVERETT N. MOWRY, proprietor of Mansion House; born in Connecticut in 1854. His father was a cotton merchant for many years. Subject of this sketch is a graduate of High School in Hartford Conn.; was there three years with the old firm of Griswold, Whitman & Welch, commission dry-goods, a leading and well-known firm; he was two years engaged in manufacturing Spring Balance Scales, under firm name of L. M. Mowry & Co., with sales room located at No. 25 Murray street, New York. He was married in Saybrook, Conn., in 1877, to Miss Agnes A. Redfield, of that historic town. Came West in 1878, and has been connected with the Mansion House since that date, the last year as sole proprietor. This house is centrally located and convenient to the springs; it provides accommodations for one hundred guests; it is modern in all its appointments, and is situated on corner of Grand and Wisconsin avenues.
DENNIS D. MULLIGAN was born in St. Catharines, Canada, Nov. 1, 1853; came to Waukesha with is parents March 17, 1856; he is the son of James and Ann Mulligan; his father died in Waukesha, aged 91 years; his mother is still a resident of Waukesha. Dennis engage in harness Making when he was about 13 years of age; worked at that trade two years and eight months, afterward engaged in railroading for four years; four years ago, he commenced work for Russell Brothers, boot and shoe manufacturers; was with them two years; for the last three years he has been connected with the Wisconsin Industrial School for Boys, as Superintendent of the siding, crimping, welting, whipping and rubbing department of the boot and shoe manufactory connected with that institution. Mr. Mulligan is a member of St. Joseph's Benevolent Society.
JOHN. J. NELSON, retired farmer; P. O. Waukesha; born in Dutchess Co., N. Y., Oct. 16, 1827; learned the trade of machinist and saw-maker in New York City; came to Waukesha County in 1847, and settled on land in Pewaukee, where he remained thirty years. He was married March 1, 1852, to Miss Calista Porter, who was born in Ohio, Sep. 25, 1834, and came to Waukesha County with her parents, in 1836; her father, Israel W. Porter, was the first settler in that part of the township of Pewaukee, and on his land was started the second saw-mill in the county. Mr. Nelson has held various local offices in his township, including Justice of the Peace and Supervisor. They had seven children; the oldest, Cordelia P., is dead; Flora E. is married and living in t his county; Aurilla J., married and living in Milwaukee; John H., a druggist in Black River Falls; Mary O. and Calista M., at home attending school, and George W., at home. He has been a Republican "from the very start." For ten years he was dealer in agricultural implements, with headquarters in Waukesha; he was an extensive apple grower and fruit raiser; he still owns a farm of 75 acres in Brookfield Township, but in 1877, he removed to Waukesha village. He is now (1880) preparing a home on Main street, opposite the Court House. Though retired from the farm, he still carries on business as dealer in agricultural implements.
ADDISON C. NICKELL was born in town of Waukesha, Jan. 11, 1851; son of Addison O. Nickell, who came to Waukesha in fall of 1836; he died Feb. 15, 1877; engaged in farming during his lifetime; Supervisor several terms. The subject of this sketch has been engaged in the jewelry and watchmaking business for thirteen years; six years in business for himself, and three years of this time with his old employer, William Langer; for the last three years, he has been alone in the business. His mother, Eliza Cornwall Nickell, now resides in the village of Waukesha; she came to Waukesha in 1837, and came most of the way from the East on horseback. Mr. Nickell is a member of the A. F. & A. M. Lodge and Chapter.
CHAUNCY C. OLIN was born in Canton, St. Lawrence Co., N. Y., May 12, 1817; lived there until he was almost 19 years of age, then he came, with his brothers, to Prairieville, and engaged in farming the first year, and has been fro twenty-five years in the insurance, real-estate and brokerage business, and is proprietor of the Mineral Rock Spring (a history of this spring appears elsewhere in this work). He was married in Waukesha, March 9, 1843, to Miss Mary A. Church; she was born in Fair Haven, Rutland Co., Vt., Aug. 28, 1824; they have four children-Frank W., Charlotte A., Adeline B. and Stella M.; they have lost two children, Mary A., and an infant son, Chauncey C. Mr. Olin is President of the Mineral Rock Spring Co., Treasurer of the Paragon Manufacturing Co., manufacturer of washing machines, and was also publisher of the American Freeman three years, the first paper published in Waukesha; he afterward published the same paper, under the name of the Free Democrat, at Milwaukee.
DR. PHILIP PEARDON, dentist; son of Richard and Harriet Peardon, who settled in the town of Eagle about thirty-four years ago. Philip was born in the town of Eagle, Waukesha Co., Wis., Nov. 23, 1847, reared on the farm until he was 16 years of age; has been engaged in dentistry business for the last nine years; in business for himself, with a brother, Richard, at Palmyra, Wis., until May 1, 1879, when he located at Waukesha. His mother died when he was about 10 years of age. His father still resides in the town of Eagle.
MRS. ELIZABETH A. PERRY, nee Arnold, was born in 1801, in Dorchester Mass.; was educated mostly in the public schools of Massachusetts; was married in Roxbury, Mass., in 1831, to Martin Perry, of Leominster, Mass. They lived in Ludlow, Vt., from their marriage to 1854, when they came to Wisconsin and settled on a farm near Waukesha. He died in 1858, leaving four children-Henry K. Alice P., George R., and Charles W.; two other children had died previously. Mr. Perry held offices of trust in his New England home; he was a substantial and reliable citizen. Her daughter, Alice, is a teacher; has taught both in public schools and in Carroll College; she lives with her mother, and both are Congregationalists. Henry is married, and lives in Mason City, Iowa; George is a merchant in New York City, and Charles is married, and lives in Pierport, Mich., where he owns much woodland, a saw-mill and a grist-mill, keeps store, and is Postmaster. Mrs. Perry owns a rented house in the village, and lives in her new and pleasant home on Carroll street. She is a genial, philanthropic soul, and is patiently working, waiting, and occupying, till Christ shall call her home.
DR. HUGO PHILLER, physician and surgeon; was born in Patschkau, Province of Silesia, Kingdom of Prussia, Jan. 4, 1838; educated at the Gymnasium, located at Neisse, Prussia, and at University of Breslau, remaining there two years, and then two years at the University of Greifswalde, graduated on his birthday from that institution in 1861; came to America Aug. 25, 1861; entered the United States service as private, Aug. 27, 1861; after serving about six months as private, he passed examination, and was commissioned Assistant Surgeon of 45th N. Y. V. I., and served until July 1, 1865, when he was mustered out. November, 1865, he came to Waukesha and located, where he has remained since. He is teacher of German and French in Carroll College, and has been most of the time since; his residence in Waukesha; he is United States Examining Surgeon, and has held the appointment since 1872. Dr. Miller was married in Waukesha, June 3, 1868, to Miss Helen Lorleberg; she was born in Saxony. They have two children-Francis, born July 4, 1859, and Otto Fritz, born Feb. 27, 1871. The doctor is connected with the Royal Arcanum and Knights of Honor; medical examiner for both; also reporter and collector for both societies. His wife died Feb. 20, 1877, in Waukesha.
EDWARD PORTER came to Waukesha in December, 1850; he helped build the railroad to this place; his family was in Milwaukee until the spring of 1851; he has been connected with the railroad eighteen years; employed by the company, and was contractor during that time; he was, during this time nine years on the La Crosse road. Mr. Porter has been engaged in farming (and railroading some) since; he has also dealt in grain, more or less, ever since he came here, and has been quite extensively engaged in wool-buying for the last twelve years; he has lived in present location, Sec. 2, for last twenty-eight years. Mr. Porter was born in Cowden, County of York, England, Sept. 9, 1818; came to America in 1845, lived in Canada until he came to Wisconsin; while in Canada, he practiced veterinary surgery. Mr. Porter was married at Toronto, Canada, Dec. 24, 1846, to Elizabeth Hetherington; she was born in Cumberlandshire, England; they have two children-Mary Ellen, now Mrs. E. Foster, and Elizabeth A. Mr. Porter has held various town offices; has been Chairman of the Town Board of Supervisors, and President of the Agricultural Society for many years.
JOHN PORTER was born near Hull, in Yorkshire, England, July 23, 1832; came to America in 1852; located in town of Waukesha, on what is called the old Burchard Farm, Section 2; remained there one year, an din 1853 went to California; he remained there mining until 1861, when he returned to Waukesha and engaged in farming; purchased the farm which he rented when he first came to Wisconsin, on Sec. 2; he soon after sold out, and moved to Sec. 36, in town of Pewaukee, which has been his home ever since. He was Under Sheriff for two years, and in 1878 he was elected Sheriff. Mr. Porter was married in Waukesha, November 8, 1861, to Mary Jane Skelton; she was born in Northumberlandshire, England. They have seven children-Edward S., Frank W., Harry B., Mary E., Florence J., Robert S. and John A. Mr. Porter has held all the offices connected with the Agricultural Society (except Secretary and Treasurer), President, Vice President, Marshal, Superintendent, member of the Executive Committee, etc.
CAPT. WILLIAM PORTER, retired lake captain; born in 1817, in the north of Ireland. His parents went to New Brunswick in 1821, and remained till 1835, when they removed to Oneida Co., N. Y. He came to Milwaukee in 1837, and from that date to 1876 he was a seafaring man, or, rather, was connected with lake navigation, during the last ten years of which he was in the tug business. He was married, in 1856, to Miss Susie Steele, of Brooklyn, N. Y.; they have four children-Lillie F., Kate L., William H., and Edith George; all at home. In 1876, he bought his spacious residence on East avenue, village of Waukesha, and he has not since engaged in any active business, but he retains his vessel stock; he is well known as a veteran pioneer of Milwaukee, and as holding financial interests in that city. His early life was passed on or near the water, and his tastes are strongly to maritime pursuits; his earliest investments were in lake vessels, and for many years he was captain of a vessel, of which he was owner, in whole or in part. The family affiliate with the Congregationalists. He is not disturbed by political excitement, but in State and national elections he votes Republican. He has "paddled his canoe", through many a storm and calm, but is now "resting on his oars" in the sunshine of family, friends and competency.
GEORGE C. PRATT, ex-State Senator, born in November, 1811, in Cheshire Co., N. H. His father, John, was a prominent farmer and cattle-dealer in New Hampshire; the father died when George was 10 years of age, and since that time he has "cut his own feed." He learned the trade of saddler and harness maker in Vermont, before attaining his majority; was journeyman two years in Boston, and then carried on the business in Woodstock, Vt., till 1840; the summer of 1838 he spent in this county, and bought land; he was present at the first election ever held in the present limits of this county, Which was in August, 1838; several towns were in that precinct, and a full vote was cast, numbering a total of twenty-seven. He returned and prepared to come West; was married New Year's Day, 1839, to Miss Mary A. Smith, only daughter of H. A. Smith, of New Haven, Vt.; she was born June 24, 1818. The season of his marriage, he was appointed Depute Sheriff, and was thus detained three years in Vermont; in 1843, he came to this county with his family; he bought a large tract of land in the south part of the township, and farming was his business for twenty-six years; has lived twenty-five years in his present residence on Main street; has held various village, township and county offices, and in the fall of 1861, was elected to the State Senate. He was one of the incorporators and Secretary of Waukesha Manufacturing Co.; was three years in charge of the county farm; has been, the last two years, purchasing agent of railroad contractors in Iowa and Dakota; has been an active worker in the County Agricultural Society; has been prominently identified with the Episcopal Church from its organization in this city; has been Vestryman since 1847, and Clerk since1858; has four children-Mary S., born in 1839, M. Louisa, born in 1845; Susannah S., born in 1848, and George R., born, in 1852; all have been married; three live in Illinois, and one is at home. It is forty-two years since Mr. Pratt first invested in Waukesha real estate; he was one of the pioneers in the business of sheep-culture in Wisconsin. Though nearly three-score and ten, he is straight-bodied and clear-headed, and still engaged in the daily duties of active business life.
MRS. NANCY N. PRICE, nee Scripture, widow of Humphrey R. Price. She is a native of New Hampshire. Came to Wisconsin at the age of 17; was married in 1843 to Presley N. Ray, who died in 1853. He was a resident of this county from 1837 until his death. She has lived in the village of Waukesha since 1864. She was married October 20, 1864, to H. R. Price, of Waukesha. He was a machinist, and worked twenty-eight years for Mr. Blair. He died March 31, 1875, leaving five children, all by his first wife. He was a reliable Republican. He was buried with Masonic honors. Mrs. Price owns a pleasant residence on Madison street, in West Waukesha.
COL. FRANK HOWELL PUTNEY, only son of Capt. Foskett M. and Clarissa Putney, of Waukesha, was born at the Rockford House, Rockford, Ill., Oct. 13, 1841; his father was one of the pioneers of Wisconsin; a man of decided character and honorable influence, active and prominent in affairs, and at all ties possessing the confidence of his townsmen; emigrated from Rushville, N. Y., to White Pigeon, Mich., in 1834, where he was commissioned a captain, by Gov. Stephen T. Mason, in 1836, and took part in the border troubles of that year; then moved to Milwaukee, Wis., in 1839, engaging in a mercantile business there, and at Rockford, Ill., which he carried on until 1845, when he retired to his farm at Prospect Hill, Waukesha Co., where, in the mean time, having been appointed Postmaster in 1846, he remained until 1850, at which time he removed to Waukesha, where he now resides in the full enjoyment of a hale and prosperous old age. His mother was an accomplished woman of most estimable character, whose teachings and example early imbued her son with that love of right for right's sake, which has characterized his whole life. He was educated at the High School, Milwaukee, and Carroll College, Waukesha, afterward reading law and being admitted to practice at the bar of the courts of the State. In the war for the Union he enlisted as a private in the 12th regiment of W. V. I., Sept. 2, 1861; was 2d Sergeant from Nov. 5, 1861, to July 1, 1862, then 1st Sergeant to Sept. 8, 1864; re-enlisted as a veteran, January 5, 1864; was commissioned Lieutenant, Aug. 17, 1864; was Regimental Adjutant from Oct. 23, 1864, to April 12, 1865; was Assistant Adjutant General, 1st Brigade, 3d Division 17th Army Corps, to May 22, 1865; was Inspector General of same brigade to July 18, 1865, and then Inspector General 3d Division, 17th Army Corps, to muster out Aug. 10, 1865. During service he took an active part in the following battles of his command, Lamar, Hernando, Cold Water, Siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, Bolton Station, Canton, Kenesaw Mountain, Nickajack Creek, Chattahoochie River, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Lovejoy's Station, Savannah, Pocataligo and Orangeburg, and he had the honor of serving in all the memorable campaigns of the Army of Tennessee, including the Meridian expedition, the march to the sea, and the march through the Carolinas and Virginia to Washington. He has held various village, town and county offices; was Private Secretary to Gov. Ludington, in 1876 and 1877; also Military Secretary and Aide-de-Camp to the Governor, with rank of Colonel, during the same years; was Assistant Secretary of State in 1878 and 1879, and was re-appointed Assistant Secretary in January, 1880, for two years, which office he now holds. His ancestors, on both sides, were lineal descendants of the first colonists of Massachusetts, as is shown by the following extracts from town, church and family records, John Putney, of Salem, Mass., married Nov. 18, 1662, to Judith, daughter of Henry Cooke, of same place. Joseph, of Salem, third son of preceding, born Aug. 25, 1673; married May 18, 1697, to Sarah McIntyre. Elisha, of Salem, eldest son of preceding, born at Reading, Mass., Nov. 21, 1713; married June 2, 1737, to Margaret Hamblen. Elisha, Jr., of Fenner, N. Y., eldest son of preceding, born at Salem (or Reading), May 23, 1738; married at Charlton, Mass., May 18, 1762, to Martha Foskett, of Charton; moved from Salem to Charlton in 1752, from Charlton to Goshen, Mass., in 1767, and from Goshen to Fenner, N. Y., about 1800. Aaron of Middlesex, N. Y., third son of preceding, born at Goshen, May 24, 1771, and died at Middlesex, Sept. 28, 1845; married at Goshen, May 27, 1795, to Deborah, daughter of Joseph Maynard, of Framingham, Mass.; born at Framingham, Dec. 19, 1777, and died at Middlesex, July 7, 1819; moved from Goshen to Fenner about 1800, and from Fenner to Middlesex about 1813. Capt. Foskett Maynard, of Waukesha, Wis., second son of preceding, born at Fenner, May 11, 1805; married at Belvidere, Ill. Nov. 3, 1839, to Clarissa, daughter of Simeon Howell, of Southampton, L. I.; born at Franklin, N. Y., April 5, 1814, and died at Waukesha, March 12, 1855. Simeon Howell was descended, in direct line, from Edward Howell of Southampton, who was made a freeman at Boston, March 14, 1639.
CAPT. FOSKETT MAYNARD PUTNEY was born in the part of the town of Smithfield now called Fenner, Madison Co., N. Y., May 11, 1805. When he was 9 years of age his parents, Aaron and Deborah (Maynard) Putney, moved to Middlesex, Ontario Co., N. Y., where he lived until 1834, when he came to White Pigeon, Mich. There he entered actively into mercantile and land business, and also took honorable part in the "Patriot War," and the border contests, under a captain's commission, conferred by his Excellency Gov. Mason. In May, 1839, Capt. Putney visited Prairieville on a tour of observation, and later, the same year, settled in Milwaukee, remaining there until the fall of 1845, when he retired to his farm at Prospect Hill, New Berlin; was engaged in the shoe and leather business at Milwaukee, and at Rockford, Ill., from 1839 to 1845, and in farming and stage hotel-keeping at Prospect Hill from the latter year to 1848. In 1850, he removed to Waukesha, having bought property here prior to that time, and commenced business as proprietor of the Railroad Hotel, now American House. IN the spring of 1852, having previously sold his hotel interest to Silas Barber, he bought a farm situated on Sec. 31, in the town of Brookfield, and there lived until 1855. He then became manager of the Exchange Hotel, and continued so until 1863, when its owner, Peter N. Cushman, died. The following year he purchased this hotel property, and conducted it until 1868, when he rented it to Elijah Holbrook for a term of years, temporarily resuming its management in 1873, and again from 1877 to May, 1879, when, having decided to retire from all active business, he leased the hotel to William C. Holbrook. Capt. Putney was married at Belvidere, Ill., Nov. 3, 1839, to Clarissa Howell, who was born at Franklin, N. Y., April 5, 1814, and died at Waukesha, March 12, 1855. He has only one child, Col. Frank Howell.
PROF. GEORGE H. REED, in charge of Carroll College; born in Mineville, Essex Co., N. Y., in 1853. His preparatory education was at Sherman Academy, New York, and his collegiate at Amherst, Mass. After leaving college in 1876, he engaged in teaching in New York, was principal of high schools; came West in January, 1880, to take charge of Carroll College, which is now operated as an academy. The attendance averages fifty per term, and is mainly local; the last graduating class in full collegiate course, was in 1860. Prof. Reed has two assistants, and the institution affords facilities for college preparatory course and for three regular academic courses. The college is charmingly located, and merits surrounding and sustaining patronage.
JOHN D. ROBERTS was born in town of Remsen, Oneida Co., N. Y., January 10 1834. Came to Wisconsin May 15, 1844 with his parents, David W. and Miriam Roberts; remained in Milwaukee two weeks, then came to what is now the town of Delafield, Waukesha Co., and located on Sec. 27. In 1853, John D. Roberts began the business of farming on his own account, and has continued in the same business ever since. He was Justice of the Peace in the town of Delafield in 1857 and 1858; Supervisor in 1858; in 1866; he was again elected Justice of the Peace for two years; in April, 1867, he was elected Town Clerk, and continued in that office until April, 1879; he was elected County Clerk in November, 1878. Mr. Roberts owns a farm on Sec. 22, and is a member of the Delafield Presbyterian Church.
THOMAS RYALL, merchant-groceries and crockery; was born in the township of Waukesha, November, 1851; son of John and Emily Crichell Ryall. He began clerking in a grocery store at the age of 14. He was married in 1877, to Miss Elizabeth Randle, daughter of Thomas A. Randle, a farmer of Genesee Township. Mr. Ryall has carried on his present business seven years in this village. His store is on the corner of Main and Clinton streets, and his residence on East avenue; is an official member of the Methodist Episcopal Church in Waukesha; is not active in politics; enjoys a continuous first-class patronage.