From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880Back to Main Index
CHARLES BAASS, farmer, Secs. 15, 11 and 14; P. O. Tess Corners; born in Pomerania, Prussia, March 28, 1823; son of Ernest C. and Sophia (Rahs) Baass; the father dealt in fish, and the cons followed the sea; the family emigrated in 1845, located in Milwaukee, where the father dealt in fish, first on Spring street bridge, and later in the First Ward market; he died in 1877. (Charles Baass and wife nee Wilhelmina Schwhn) came to America and to Milwaukee a year or two later; Mr. B. sailed on the lakes a number of years; his father bought the land in Muskego in 1855, and in 1856, Charles, August and Henry Baass spent a year here, became disgusted with their life in the wilderness, and returned; rather than see the land sold, however, Charles Baass returned for permanent settlement in 1858; ten-acres cleared and a log-house were all the improvements where he now has a valuable 100-acre farm, with a tasteful brick house, with barns, etc.; his location on the lake is one of the very best for a pleasure resort, but is only open to intimate friends. Mr. and Mrs. Baass have eleven children - Ottilia, Sarah, Rachel and Samuel, born in Milwaukee; Leah, Hannah, Ernest, Martha, Martin, Lydia and Lena.; all born in Muskego. Mr. B. is a Democrat; was Supervisor eight years, and Chairman in 1871 and 1872.
C. H. BABCOCK, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Muskego Center; born Jan. 16, 1824, in Fort Ann, Washington Co., N. Y.; began life at 11, as a canal driver; in 1843, he met his parents, Barnis and Asenath Babcock, who persuaded him to go with them to Wisconsin; his father made the claim on Sec. 19, where he died in March, 1869, after making a noble life-record as a pioneer; he is a member of the filet constitutional convention, and filled many other offices with honor. C. H. returned East in 1844, and, as a puddler, began working at iron in Litchfield, Conn.; five years later, he settled and continued the same business in Napanock, Ulster Co., N. Y., where he resided until 1858, when he came again to Muskego and settled on his farm of 140 acres; this is a valuable farm, and he has made it more so by erecting a large square two-story farm house, with barns, etc.; he has also dug a well which is a curiosity, as it is constantly full, a stream of water constantly flowing from it sufficient for thousands of cattle. He married, in Napanock, N. Y,, Miss Hephsie Tomlinson, a native of Manchester, Eng.; they have an only son, Frank R., born in Muskego Feb. 15, 1864; Mr, B. is a Mason and a Republican; was Chairman in 1861, and enrolling officer during the war, and did his duty, though threats against his life were made by certain irate citizens.
FERDINAND BISCHOFF, proprietor of the park and hall, Muskego Lake; born in Prussia in 1837; the family came to America in 1851; spent two years at White Fish Bay, then came to Waukesha Co.; Ferdinand worked three years in Muskego; in 1867, he with his brothers, Frederick and William, bought a part of the present grounds, then overrun with brush, etc., and provided with only a log house; the brothers placed a few boats on the lake, built a good frame house, as a summer hotel, in 1874, and in 1877, built a hall, 36x40, arranged for dancing, picnic parties, etc.; it is situated in a beautiful grove on the banks of the Big Muskego Lake; the brothers, Ferdinand and William, now own the property, and propose building a larger hotel near the hall; they own 90 acres, and have on the lake fifteen large row boats, two sailing boats, and thirty or forty hunting boats.
FREDERICK BISCHOFF, farmer, Sec. 13; P. O. Tess Corners; born in 1849 in Saxony; his parents, Christopher and Christiana B., emigrated in 1851; spent two years in Milwaukee Co., then came to Waukesha Co. Frederick Bischoff, settled on his present farm of 84 acres in 1873; is a cooper by trade, manufacturing pork barrels for the Milwaukee houses. Married Miss Johanna Bravier, of Franklin, Milwaukee Co., they have three children - Frederick, Edward and William - all born on the home farm. Mr. B. is a Democrat, and a Lutheran, with his family.
FREDERICK BLUHM, farmer, Sec. 24; P. O. Durham Hill; born near Robell, Mecklenburg, Schwerein, Dec, 13, 1887; the family emigrated in 1851; spent three months in Milwaukee; then settled in Wauwatosa, where he worked twelve years as teamster for Chase & Holson, stone quarry. Married Christina Buddanhagen, who was born in 1837, near Tesein, Mecklenburg, Schwerein; they settled on the present farm Oct. 5, 1863; began with 76 acres and a log house; Mr. B. cleared the land of grubs and stone, added 27 acres, cleared 10 of timber, and made the whole smooth enough for machinery; in 1871, he built a 32x45 barn, and in 1876, a house, the upright of which is two stories, 18x28; kitchen wing 18x26, and woodhouse 18x26; his barn is now 32x76, with basement. Mr. and Mrs. Bluhm have five children - Meena (Mrs. P. Pellman), Lizzie, Frederick, Ernest and Bertha; Mary died June 8, 1879, aged 14. The family belong to the Lutheran Church; Mr. B. is a Democrat.
JOHN BURNS, deceased; born in County Meath, Ireland; came to America in 1842, and located on the present Burns homestead, in Muskego; built a log house in the woods that covered it and kept "bachelor's hall" for a number of years, striking the first blows that secured so good a home. May 20, 1852, he married Margaret Lannon; she was born in 1832, in County Louth, Ireland, and came to America in 1847; Mr. Burns died June 26, 1866, leaving seven children - John, born in 1853; James, born in 1854; William, born in 1856; Anne M., now Mrs. M. L. Goff, born in 1858; Maggie M., born in 1860; Elizabeth C., born in 1863, and Sarah J., born in 1865. Mr. Burns was a stirring and thrifty pioneer settler, as may be seen by the well-improved homestead of 106 acres, on which he built a large and pleasant frame house and substantial barns, which have since been enlarged; the estate also owns 20 acres near Muskego Lake; the family are Roman Catholics, and the sons are all on the farm; are Democrats, and no office holders.
JOHN CARRIGAN, farmer, Sec. 21; P. O. Muskego Center; born in Dublin, Ireland, in 1838; his parents, Edward and Anne (Reynolds) Carrigan, emigrated in 1839; spent a year in Canada East; located in Waterloo, Seneca Co., N. Y., where the father worked three years in a factory; in October, 1843, they settled on the present farm of John Carrigan; were unable(sic) to pay for only 40 acres, on which Mr. C. built a log house the same fall, having lived from October until Dec. 24 in the house of J. Reynolds, a brother-in-law; the Carrigan's have made a record of success, John, now owning all the 80 his father tried to buy thirty-seven years ago, and 30 besides; the log house, improved, of course, was the family home sixteen years; in 1859, Edward Carrigan settled on his present farm of 109 acres. John Carrigan married, in 1866, Miss Caroline, daughter of Richard and Ellen (Kelly) Hennessey; she was born in New Berlin; they have three children - Edward R., Ellen A. and Maurice F., all born in Muskego, the youngest, J. Arthur, died at 2 years and 2 months old. Mr. C. lived until 1877 in a small frame house, standing near the large and elegant one built in its stead; F. Kolck and J. Maney were its former owners. The mother of Mr. C. died Feb. 1, 1871; he is a Democrat; was Town Supervisor two years, School District Clerk three years and Treasurer eight years. The family are Roman Catholics.
HIRAM CLAFLIN, farmer, Secs. 8 and 9; P. O. Muskego Center; born Dec. 9, 1817, in West Bloomfield, Ontario Co., N. Y.; his parents, John and Sally Claflin, removed to Ohio in his infancy; his mother died there; in 1843, he came with his wife to Muskego, and bought 80 acres on Sec. 8; built a log house, drove pins into the logs for shelves to rest upon, and made some rude furniture; his last, dollar went for the window lights and door fixtures; by trading some cloth, he obtained a yoke of steers; did hard work among the grubs; in 1858, he added 80 acres more, and continued the work, which has resulted in an improved farm of 212 acres, a large and tasteful home, etc. He remarried Miss Sallie, daughter of Romanta and Polly Peck; she was born in Starksboro, Vt., and died April 28, 1879, a good and kindly remembered pioneer woman; their adopted son, Albert Claflin, was born in Orleans Co., Vt., June 9, 1840, his parents locating in Vernon, Waukesha Co., soon after, and at the death of his mother, two months later, his father, William Wood, consigned him to the care of the Claflin's. He married, Oct. 20, 1879, Miss Eliza Kingston, daughter of William Kingston, and a native of New York; they have two children - Hawley W. and Nora, both born in Muskego. Messrs. Claflin are both Republicans, the younger now serving as Justice of the Peace, by appointment, and are stirring, successful farmers.
THOMAS CONROY, farmer, Secs. 10 and 15; P. O. Muskego Center; born in 1810, in County Louth, Ireland, where his early life was spent as a farmer and shoemaker. He married Margaret McCabe in 1836, and came to America ten years later, joining his brothers, Patrick and James, in Muskego; began very poor, and lived six or seven years near his brothers; then bought 12 acres of his present farm; it was a wilderness of timber; he lived in a log house many years, chopping and clearing, the result of which is a good farm of 61 acres, on which he has built a neat brick house, a good barn, and a most convenient carriage house, corn house and hog house combined; as he began without a dollar, few have done better. Mr. and Mrs. Conroy have three living children - Mary, now Mrs. McEneny; William and Anne; they have lost four, one on the sea in crossing, and Catherine, who married John Ward, and died in 1879. Mr. Conroy and family are Catholics and Democrats.
CHARLES DOUGHERTY, farmer, Sec. 8; P. O. Tess Corners; born in Orange Co., N. Y., Dec. 13, 1831 or 1832. His parents, Edward and Mary Dougherty, came to Milwaukee in 1840, where his father worked out, settling, four years later, on the Muskego homestead of 63 1/2 acres, then heavily timbered; it was cleared by him and his sons Charles, Peter and Edward; Charles D. went, by way of New York and the isthmus, to California, in 1863; farmed four years in Oakland Valley, and six months in the mines of Idaho, returned to the valley, and, a year later, to Wisconsin; he has since lived on the homestead, where his father died in 1875; the daughters, Mary and Sarah, are in California; Peter is farming in Racine Co., and Edward is a carpenter in Milwaukee. Charles Dougherty is a Democrat, and was Town Treasurer in 1876; Roman Catholic in religion.
EDWARD DOYLE, farmer, Sec. 10; P. O. Muskego Center; born in County Carlow, Ireland in 1823; his parents, Gerrett and Annie Doyle, came to America in 1825, located in Troy, N. Y., and lived there until June, 1837, when they came to Milwaukee, spent a few months, and went to Chicago, where they remained until 1839, when they came to Muskego, and bought the Doyle homestead. Mrs. Doyle was a daughter of James and Margaret Collins; her father was employed by the English at Palermo, Italy, where Ellen was born in 1815; seven years later, they came to America, located in Canada, where she married John Vallier, a French Canadian, who died in 1846, leaving five children - Alexander, James, Talbot D,, John and Ellen Mrs. Charles Finley). Mr. Vallier settled in Ottawa, Waukesha Co., in 1836; his wife joined him in 1837, being one of the first white women in the town, and who made the first butter in that section, while in the employ of T. C. Dousman, the first settler of Ottawa. In 1848, Mr. Doyle and Mrs. Vallier were married, and, in 1852, they, with Alexander, James and Ellen Vallier, and their two children, went overland to California; they lacked only ten days of a six months' trip, and saw many hardships; after two years, they returned by water to New York City, and have since lived on the Doyle homestead of 80 acres. Anna Doyle is now Mrs. Thomas Welch, of Muskego; Edward, born in a tent at Diamond Springs, Cal., married Anne Newnan, of Manitowoc, Wis.; Alexander Vallier now lives in California, where James died; T. D. resides in Iowa, while John is in the Rocky Mountains.
JAMES ELLIOTT, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Muskego Center; born June 1, 1802, in province of Maghera, County Londonderry, Ireland; came to America in 1832, located in Rutland County, Vt., where his wife and two children joined him in 1833; removed from Vermont to Wisconsin in 1846; settled on a rented farm in Franklin, Milwaukee Co., for three years; then settled on his present farm of 83 1/4 acres; over 50 of this has been cleared of very heavy timber, which was rolled up and burned in log heaps. He married in Ireland, Miss Jane Maitland; they have four living children - Matthew, Rosanna, William and Martha Jane, Four sons of Mr. Elliott enlisted to defend the old flag, and two laid down their lives in the cause; Matthew and Thomas enlisted early in 1862, in Co. E., 19th W. V. I.; Matthew was promoted to Corporal, served three years and three months, fighting at Chapin's Farm, Blackwater, Suffolk, and with Grant in many bloody battles in the Virginia campaign; his was the first regiment to hoist a flag over Richmond, and he has, like his brother William, an honorable discharge; he now resides with the old folks and owns 40 acres adjoining them; he was Chairman in 1858, and held his present office of Supervisor a number of years; Thomas was struck by a Cohorn shell in front of Petersburg, Va., June 30, 1864, died at McDougal Hospital, New York, a month and ten days after, and is buried in Greenwood Cemetery; Samuel Elliott was shot dead at Chickamauga, and was buried, if at all, by the rebels on the battlefield; he enlisted August, 1861, in Co. D, 1st W. V. T.; William Elliott enlisted January, 1862, Co. C, 15th W. V. I., and was with Sherman on the famous " March to the Sea," and through the Carolinas. He is married and carries on his father's farm; has been Supervisor and is now serving a second term as Town Treasurer.
CHARLES FINLEY, farmer, Sec. 8; P. O. Tess Corners; born Oct. 27, 1843, and was one of the early births in the Town of Muskego; his parents, John and Elizabeth Finley, came from New York City to Muskego in 1842, buying the homestead of Esquire Cone, a pioneer settler. Mr. Finley has spent his life in the county, with the exception of three years in the Union army, enlisting in August, 1862, in Co. G, 28th W. V. I.; he was engaged in the battles of Helena, Pine Bluff, Saline River, and Little Rock, Ark., and in the fiery siege of the forts around Mobile; the regiment was transferred to Texas; Mr. Finley was confined in the Marine Hospital, at New Orleans; was honorably discharged in July, 1865; returned, and has since resided on the homestead of 120 acres, where his father died, in 1857, aged 55; the mother still lives, aged 67, and with her sons - John, Joseph and Charles - owns the homestead. Joseph Finley married Miss Helen Vallier (see sketch of Edward Doyle). The Finleys are Roman Catholics and Democrats. John has been Supervisor, and Charles was Town Treasurer in 1869, and Town Assessor in 1880.
SAMUEL FOSTER, farmer, Sec. 6; P.O. Prospect Hill; born in North Kerry,near Taunton, Somersetshire, Eng., May 12, 1822; he engaged in farming on his father's large estate until he came to America and Wisconsin, in 1845, settling, and for ten years doing good work on a farm in Pewaukee; in 1855, he settled on his present farm of 165 acres; on this he has built a 30x54 basement barn, and built, in 1871, a tasteful farm-house, of Milwaukee brick; the upright part is 18x26, two stories high, wing 16x26, and one and a half stories high, kitchen one story, 16x40; this makes a most pleasant home. Was married, in 1844,to Miss Mary Bartlett, who was born in Stokes, St. Gregory, in Somersetshire; they have four children - Mary J., born Jan. 22, 1847; William A., born July 31, 1849; Ellen W., born Sept. 8, 1857, and Franklin B., born Jan. 30, 1860; the two eldest were born in Pewaukee; Mary J. is Mrs. H. Hunkins, of Milwaukee; William A. married Elnora Primrose, and lives in New Berlin; Ellen, now Mrs. Robert Carman, resides in Canieron, Mo.; Frank B. remaining with the parents. Mr. F. attends and helps sustain the F. B. Church. Is a non-office seeking Republican, and has for years been agent of the Continental Insurance Company of New York. He formerly dealt in wool, stock, etc.
CHARLES FREEDY, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Hales Corners, Milwaukee Co.; born in Hanover, Germany, "1844; his parents located in Muskego soon after, beginning poor, afflicted with ague, and saw much hardship, running $100 behind-hand the first year, but made a farm and home; the mother died in Muskego, and the father in Racine County; Charles Freedy learned the carpenter's trade, and in 1867 engaged as sawyer in Siegel's steam saw-mill, Hale's Corners; worked here five years, and settled on his present farm of 176 acres, in 1872; in 1878 he again sawed for his father-in-law, he having married Miss Rosette, daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Siegel, who came from Wurtemburg to America in 1850, locating at Buffalo, N. Y., where Rosette was born in 1852; Mr. Siegler came to Wisconsin in 1853, spent four months in Milwaukee, then settled and has since resided at Hale's Corners, where he built the steam grist and saw mill; he also built the steam mill at Muskego Center, which burned in 1876; Mr. and Mrs. already have three children, Frank, born Dec. 14, 1873; Otto, born Sept. 4, 1875, and William, born Feb, 28, 1878; Mr. Freedy is a stirring farmer, has cleared about 16 acres, built a 30x42 barn, granary 20x80, corn house 18x20, etc. A Mr. Justin formerly owned the place, built the large house, and planted an orchard of 400 or 500 trees.
WILLIAM HOLZ, farmer, Sec. 13; P. O. Tess Corners; born in the village of Boell, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, Sept, 10, 1826; spent five years in the army, helping to fight Sweden in 1848, and the revolutionists in 1849; came to America in 1853, doing his first work in the woods, on the site of the Soldiers' Home, burned lime a year, then worked four years as foreman in a stone quarry. He was married in Johannes Church, Milwaukee, in August, 1853, to Mary Damon; she was born Feb. 11, 1833, in Mentzow, Mecklenburg-Schwerin, and emigrated in the same ship with Mr. Holz; in December, 1859, Mr, Holz bought 102 1/4 acres, where he now lives; has since sold 10 acres, and bought, 30; here he did the best of work, cleared 20 acres of brush, etc., fenced the farm, and improved it; began in a log-house, and in 1870 built a large brick residence, the main part two stories, 18x26, wing 18x28, and kitchen and woodhouse 16x18; in 1862 he built a 30x40 barn, and in 1872 one 26x36; all except 18 acres (marsh) is under cultivation and made what it is, by the labor of the entire family; there are seven children, Bertha (Mrs. Aug. Kuester), Rudolph, Caroline, Mary, Louisa, William and Edward, the two eldest, were born in Wauwatosa, and the others in Muskego; three children died; the family are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, of which Mr. Holz was nine years secretary. Mr. Holz is an independent Democrat.
HERMAN KURTZE, farmer, Sec. 15; P. O. Muskego Center; born in Goze, Prussia, September, 1839; his parents, David and Rosine Kurtze, emigrated 1852, and located in Milwaukee, where Herman was engaged in Wertstein's Hotel for five months; he then engaged under Dr. Fassel for six years, and during the next six years worked the Doctor's farm in New Berlin; was engineer a year in Siegler's saw-mill, Hale's Corners, and in 1868 settled on his present farm of lily acres, most pleasantly situated on the shores of Muskego Lake. He married Miss Paulina Warder, she was born in Prussia, and came to America in 1854; they have nine children, Emma, Bertha, Ida, Salina, Ella, Adda, Amanda, Charles, and Frances, all born in Waukesha County, the three eldest in New Berlin, and the others on the home farm, which is susceptible of being made a most beautiful summer resort. Mr. Kurtze is a Republican.
THOMAS LANNON, farmer, Sec. 3; P. O. Tess Corners; born in County Louth, Ireland; in 1818, emigrated to America 1836; worked as a laborer in New York, Ohio, and Michigan; carried on a store with a brother-in-law in Monroe, Michigan, for a time, and in June, 1842, settled in the forest covering his present farm; the only roads in Muskego then were the Janesville, Waterford & Town Line Road, which passed his log cabin; he built this, and it still stands as a monument to old times, when its floor was strewn with sleeping Indians, who came to trade with Mr. Lannon; he had a small stock of goods and a barrel of whisky, and was a favorite with the "Reds," who exchanged furs and skins for fire water; Mr. Lannon is an old settler, who has an improved farm and good home, standing near the log-house. He married Mary A. Carroll; she was born in Java, Wyoming Co., N. Y., in 1834; they have four children, Mary, Thomas, Catherine, and Anne, the eldest is Mrs. Thomas Made, of Muskego; Mr. Lannon is a Democrat, and a Catholic. He was formerly Road Commissioner, Town Treasurer, Assessor, Supervisor, etc.; and has held his present office of Justice of the Peace for eighteen years, and is the the veteran "Squire ' of Muskego.
ANTHONY LOUGHNEY, farmer, Secs. 2 and 10; P. O. Tess Corners; born 1832 in County Mayo, Ireland; his parents, Mathew and Winnifred Loughney, came to America 1839, remaining in Montgomery Co., N. Y., until 1841, when they located on 80 acres of new wild land, in New Berlin; they paid $200 for it, covered with heavy timber and stones, built a log-house, and did the work of early settlers, making the farm (now owned by Mr. L.) one of the best in New Berlin; here Anthony attended school, and in 1856 with brothers bought his farm of 120 acres; has since bought out the brothers, his labor, management and money erecting all the buildings and removing the girdled trees, and hundreds of stumps and stones, which then covered it; his smooth and handsome meadow was then overgrown with willows; his 36x66 basement barn was built in 1879; Mr. Loughney has horses from the Atlantic Chief; Swigert Jr., and Gen. McClellan stock; a most excellent brood mare of the latter stock is his pride. He married Catherine Carroll, of Wyoming Co., N. Y., in 1861; they have had six children, Winnie, Emma, Katie, Mathew M., Lulu M., and lost a son, Louis G., aged six. Politics, Republican; religion Roman Catholic.
JAMES MCDONOUGH, farmer; Secs. 2 and 11; P. O. Tess Corners; born in County Mayo, Ireland, Feb. 22, 1834; his father, Terrence, died a year later, James being reared by his widowed mother, who came with him and her bachelor brother, Morgan Sweeney, to America in 1837; located in Summit Co., Ohio; James attained an education here, living on his uncle's farm until 1856, when he came to Muskego and bought his farm of 160 acres which he has since improved to some extent. Married Feb. 2, 1860, Miss Mary, daughter of Patrick Conroy, the first Irish settler in Muskego; he married Bridget Ward, who died in August, 1847; Mrs. McDonough was born in June, 1843, on her father's homestead in Muskego, and is the mother of six children - Terrence, Mary E., Anne, James, Teressa and Agnes, all born in Muskego. Mr. McDonough is a Democratic Greenbacker; was first Town Clerk appointed) then elected Justice of the Peace several years; elected Chairman in 1865 and held that office eight successive years; in 1874 he was elected Register of Deeds and held that office two years. He has the best of stock on his farm; high-grade Durham cattle, Cotswold sheep and a Clyde stallion, Netherby Jock, Jr., weighing 1700 pounds, and a young stallion sired by the famous Johnny Coope, the heaviest horse in America, which weighs 2450 pounds, now owned by Col. Hollowly of Monmouth, Ill.
JAMES MCENENY, farmer, Sec. 10; P. O. Muskego Center; born June 17, 1821, in County Monahan, Ireland; his parents, Bryan and Margeret, emigrated in 1823, located in New York City, where the son engaged in the coal business until 1859, when he settled on Sec. 23, Muskego, where his wife (formerly Anne Dillon), and his mother, died early in 1860; he removed, in 1861, to his present farm of 107 acres. Married, in 1862, Miss Mary Conroy, who was born in County Louth, Ireland; they have ten children - Margaret, Thomas, John, Hugh, William, Barney, Redwin, Patrick, Mary and Catherine; the first wife left two sons - James and Edward. The family are Catholics. Mr. McEneny is a Democrat, and has been for fourteen years Treasurer of District No. 2; he has done good work as a farmer, having cleared about 45 acres, and built a good frame house, in place of the log one of nineteen years ago.
JOHN MCSHANE, farmer; Sec. 12; P. O. St. Martin's, Milwaukee Co.; was born in September, 1836, in New York City; his parents, Michael and Rosanna, natives of Ireland; came to New York in 1828 and settled in Muskego in 1842; Mr. McShane bought out the heirs and has owned the 92-acre homestead since 1861. Married Miss Catherine Hackett, who was born in Milwaukee; they have eight children - Mary E, James, Maggie, John, Bernard, Katie, Edward and Ellen, all born in Muskego. Mr. McShane is a Roman Catholic and a Democrat; was town Treasurer in 1865 and 1866. His father died in 1843; his mother married Owen Carey, and lives near him; Mr. McShane is a noted breeder of horses; his first horse, Young Plow Boy, sired by old Blackhawk, was owned by him from 1862 to 1867; in 1866 he bough Young Robin Hood, sired by imported Old Robin Hood; in September, 1878, he bought, near Ottawa, Canada, the splendid imported horse, Honest Sandy; this horse is a beautiful dapple brown, seventeen hands high and weighs 1,800 pounds; his stock, found among the best breeders of Washington Milwaukee, Racine, Walworth and Waukesha Counties, prove him to be the best horse in the State. Honest Sandy took three prizes at the Centennial, viz., the International, the United States and a special award, and never fails to carry off the prize he competes for; his owner now has a belt on which are seventeen medals and cups, won by this noble horse, as prizes.
HENRY M. PECK, farmer; Sec. 16; P. O. Muskego Center; born near Whitehall, New York, May 5, 1827; his parents, Romanta and Polly (Durgin) Peck, both Vermonters, settled in 1835 in Mendon, Monroe Co., N. Y., where Henry M. lived until 1837; his brother, Rufus C., made claims for himself and a brother, W. D., in Muskego during 1836; and in May 1837, R. C., and Henry M. Peck settled on Sec. 8; here the pioneer brothers worked together nine years; the first summer was spent in a 12x13 claim-shanty; in this, were R. C. Peck, wife and two children, besides Henry M. Peck; they lived under a bark roof on a puncheon floor; cooked in a small tin " baker," and in kettles hung on poles over a fire-place, backed up with mud and stones; only blankets hung in the door and window- openings to separate them from the wolves howling outside; in 1846, Mr. Peck bought eighty acres of the very heavy timber on Sec. 16; one tree cut by him here was eighteen feet in circumference; he now owns 150 acres, of which 90 have been literally chopped out; the timber at first burned in "log heaps," was at a later day sold as cordwood and lumber; the log-house of early days was replaced in 1873 by tasteful brick farmhouse, and a good barn, etc., built. He married Miss Harriet, daughter of John and Lucy Post; Mrs. Peck was born in England, her parents coming to America when she was three years old and were early settlers in Muskego, where they began with just five cents and made a good record. Mr. and Mrs. Peck have nine children - Josephine, Oscar, Henry F., Eva, Michael, Nellie G., Hazen, Dora and Ada, all born in Muskego; Mr. Peck is an attendant of the local churches; a Republican and was town Treasurer once, and Supervisor twice.
HAZEN PECK, farmer, Sec. 10; P. 0 Big Bend; born April 21, 1817, in Starksboro, Vt., in 1823, his parents, Romanta and Sarah Peck, settled in Washington Co., N. Y., where he resided until he was seventeen, thence to Genesee Co., N. Y., where he remained until October, 1848, when he came to Muskego; a month later he bought his present farm of seventy-six acres; forty were broken; the barn built, a good log house, and part of the house he has since enlarged and made so good a home; he has also cleared twenty acres of the original heavy timber; improved the land, re-sided the barn, etc. Married Eliza Allen, who was born March 26, 1820, in Mendon, Monroe Co., N. Y. Their oldest son, Allen, born in Mendon, came West with them, enlisted in Co. G. 28th W. V. I., served a year and died at Duvall's Bluff, Ark. The four living sons are all Badger born, Harvey, born June 27, 1850, Hiram, May 9, 1854, Edgar, June, 12, 1856, George, April 9, 1861. Mr. Peck, like all true Green Mountain Boys, is an old Whig Republican; was a supervisor one year and lacked only one vote of a re-election at the advent of the Democratic power in Muskego, and has since refused all nominations.
C. L. PELLMANN, farmer, Secs. 2 and 11; P. O. Tess Corners; born Sept. 30, 1813, in Prussia; came to.America in June, 1846, and settled in the woods of Milwaukee Co., having made a visit to Illinois, during the heated season, and become homesick; he lived seven years in Milwaukee Co. with Indians for neighbors; a little daughter (since dead) was stolen by the Indians. Mrs. Pellmann, warned by a white man, gave chase, overtook the Indians and rescued the child; as young Pellmann says, "The Indians had red babies enough, and wanted a white one." In early times Mr. Pellmann used to travel by the aid of blazed trees; he began in Muskego on 40 acres, in a small log house (still standing) then shut in by the woods, through which were only tracks, no roads laid out near him; his 40 acres, with some stock and tools, cost him $700; the farm contains now 106 acres, well improved, a good brick house, and a 30x86x24 basement barn, has been built and great changes made since 1846. He married Miss Jane Ludwig in 1838; they have six children - Freidericka, Frederick, Minnie, born in Ger- many, Richard, Paul and Louis, born in this country. Richard and Paul are on the homestead, Paul having married Minnie Bluhm; Louis is with the old folks at Tess Corners, where they have lived since 1877. and own 22 acres. The Pellmanns are liberal in politics.
HENRY ROSENBERG, merchant and Postmaster, Tess Corners; born in 1830 in Bavaria; his parents, Christian and Margaret, emigrated in 1835, and lived twenty years in New York City; here Mr. R. learned his trade of brass finisher; lived three years in Albany and two in Troy, N. Y.; came to Tess Corners in 1861, bought his store, and did business until Sept. 18, 1864, when, as one of the 6th W. V. I., he went South; was with his regiment at Hatcher's Run, Five Forks, Gravel Run, etc., in the fights on the Weldon Railroad, and with Sheridan when he overhauled Lee and held him at bay at Appomattox; since the close of the war, Mr. R. has done a mercantile and saloon business at Tess Corners, having rebuilt and improved the old store; has been Postmaster since January, 1867. Married April 6, 1856, Miss Caroline Seasongood; she was born in Saxony, and came to America in 1854; they have three children - George S., Henry and Augusta; the eldest son has been Town Clerk two years, and took the United States census in Muskego in 1880; he was born in 1858, in New York City; the other children were born in Muskego; Henry is now a bricklayer in Milwaukee. The family are Lutherans and Democrats.
JOHN SCHMIDT, farmer, Secs. 1, 4 and 33; P. O. Tess Corners; born April 28, 1833, in Wirschweiler, Prussia; his parents, Peter and Katrina Schmidt, settled in Muskego in June, 1846, the second German family in the town; Mrs. S. died April 16, 1869, and her husband Oct. 6, 1874. John Schmidt attended the schools of both Prussia and Muskego; has been a lifelong farmer; owns 260 acres and a good home; is a stanch Democrat; was Town Treasurer in 1857 and 1858; Assessor from 1865 to 1878; has been Chairman since for three years, and was a member of the State Legislature in 1864 and 1880; his official record is most satisfactory to the people of Muskego, and one of which he may be proud. He was married Sept. 25, 1857, to Mary Wollman; she was born in German Bohemia, and accompanied her parents, Franz and Barbara Wollman, to America, in 1852. Mr. and Mrs. S. have eleven children - Emilie, Mary, John, Henry, Christian, Leda, William, Jacob, Ella, Peter and Frank, all born in Muskego. The family are Lutherans. For the past twenty-eight years, Mr. S. has been a breeder of excellent horses; Netherby Jock, purchased by him in 1872, in Canada, was the best Clydesdale ever imported; he died in Waukesha, in 1874; Mr. S. has owned many others of wide repute as stock getters, but has been very unfortunate, havings lost five by death; he now owns Young Princeton, a Norman weighing 1,600 pounds, and Netherby Jock, Jr., sired by the old horse, and weighing 1,800 pounds; he also owns the pure bred Durham bull Nonesuch, bought of and bred by Gov. Ludington, and a herd of grade cattle; is also agent for J. I. Case and other leading manufacturers of first-class machinery.
JOHN C. SCHUET, merchant and Postmaster, Muskego; born Jan. 5, 1840, in Mecklenburg, Germany; he attended school in youth as do all Germans, and was two years a student of the Dargun high school; his parents, Christian and Mary Schuet, emigrated in 1857, locating at Tess Corners, where his father followed his trade of stonemason. John C. clerked two years in Milwaukee; was a year in charge of the store at Tess Corners, then went to St. Louis and remained eighteen months in business; he returned to Muskego in 1860, and the next spring opened the store, hotel and saloon, which he has since enlarged to keep pace with his growing business; he has the only hotel in the town, and carries a very complete general stock of goods; has been Postmaster since 1861. Enlisted in 1864 in the 6th W. V. I., and served through with Grant, fighting at Hatcher's Run, Five Forks, Gravel Run, on the Weldon Railroad, and was with Sheridan when he grappled Lee at Appomattox. Mr. S. is a Republican; was elected County Clerk in 1871 and 1872; Register of Deeds in 1873 and 1874, and Chairman of Muskego in 1877. He married Carrie Horn, a native of Franklin, Milwaukee Co.; they have three sons - Otto, George and Frank - all born in Muskego.
ARNOLD STALLMAN, farmer, Sec. 7; P. O. Muskego Center; born in Bassom, Hanover, 1828; his father, Ernest S., was in public office in the hardware business, and an extensive farmer; his wife dying in 1847, he married again, and in 1849 brought his family to America, bought a farm in Greenfield, Milwaukee Co., Wis., where Arnold lived four years, he is a tinsmith by trade, and made a trip through Illinois, Missouri, Louisiana and Indiana; returning, he worked at his trade two years for the Nazro Bros., Milwaukee; farmed it seven years in Waterloo, Jefferson Co., then settled on his present farm of 80 acres; the former owners were Gutherie, Garvin and Christie, and only 40 acres were poorly cleared; the buildings were a wreck; land full of stones, etc. Mr. S. has worked here fifteen years, has 66 acres cleared of all obstructions, over which he can run a reaper; has rebuilt the house, built a 30x46 basement barn and made a good record. He was married Feb. 4, 1856, to Johanna Roemer, a Prussian by birth, who came to Milwaukee Co. in 1847; of their eleven children, Arnold was born in Milwaukee; Eliza, Frances, Charles and Pauline were born in Waterloo; Anna, Louis, Adolph, Emma, Julia and Laura were born in Muskego. The Stallmans are an historic old German family, as may be seen by s record now in Mr. Stallman's house; probably an older record cannot be found in Waukesha Co. Mr. S. is a Republican and a member of Bismarck Lodge, No. 193, I. O. O. F.
SOLOMON VANDEWALKER, farmer, Sec. 18; P. O. Big Bend; born in Minden, Montgomery Co., N. Y., Sept. 2, 1830; his parents soon after moved to Brownville, Jefferson Co., N. Y., where he grew to manhood, attending the common and select schools; also taught six terms of school; in 1854, he came to Milwaukee, engaging in the mercantile and livery business until the fall of 1856; then, with a few buggies, harness, etc., from his livery, and only $100 in cash, he came to Muskego and bought 40 acres, but would have lost it had not his uncle, Daniel Vandewalker, generously mortgaged his farm to raise means to make the payment; success has since attended him; he now owns 157 acres as a homestead, which is well improved with excellent buildings; Mr. Vandewalker also owns 155 acres on Sec. 8, and 10 acres of marsh on See. 20; he has taught in the districts around him eighteen terms of school, and as he began in debt and in a log house twenty-four years ago, his record is certainly good. He married, June 3, 1856, Miss Maria, daughter of D. Vandewalker; she was born in Manlius, Onondaga Co., N. Y.; they have three children - Charley C., D. Edgar, and Orley S., all born on this farm. Mr. V. is a Republican, and was Town Superintendent of Schools under the old system; is also serving his fourth term as Secretary of the Vernon Union Protective Society.
HENRY R. WELCH, farmer, Sec. 21; P. O. Muskego Center; born in Dexter, Mich., July 19, 1839; that fall his father, John Welch, made his first visit to Wisconsin, with an ox team, by way of Chicago, and spent the winter in Milwaukee; his wife (formerly Anne Richmond), joined him the next summer, and during the summer of 1840, John Welch, following a line of blazed trees, came into Muskego and bought at Government price the present Welch homestead; returned to Milwaukee and spent the year in helping grade the first streets with Mat. Galligan, who, with a family, accompanied the Welch family to Muskego for permanent settlement in 1841; they began in a log house, and did good work among the giant timber; hay was cut, cured, and hauled to Milwaukee, and traded for goods the same day, and to reward the pioneer work, the farm of 50 acres is now under cultivation, a good two-story frame house has replaced the log house. John Welch died Oct. 6, 1872, leaving his widow and eight children - William and Stephen (twins), Charles, Samantha, Henry R. and Mary (twins), Thomas and James, Henry R. Welch attended the early schools and lived in Muskego until the fall of 1864, when he enlisted in Co. F, 44th W. V. I.; was engaged in the terrible and decisive battle of Nashville, and served until his honorable discharge, July, 1865; his brothers, Thomas, James and William, were in the employ of the Government, and Stephen was a volunteer in the 12th W. V. I. H. R. Welch married, in St. Paul's Church, Milwaukee, Feb. 24, 1873, Miss Mary Eagan; she was born in Muskego, and is a daughter of M. and C. (Doyle) Eagan; they have four children - Edward, William, John and Mary; the eldest was born at Bay View, Wis., where Mr. W. worked from 1873 to 1876 in the rolling-mills. Mr. W. is a Republican and was one term a Supervisor; a Roman Catholic in religion.
CHARLES WOLLMAN, farmer, Sec. 1; P. O. Tess Corners; born in Hannig, German Bohemia, April 26, 1839; his parents, Franz and Barbara Wollman, came to America fn (sic) 1852, and located in Muskego. Charles Wollman settled on 86 acres of his farm in 1864; it was covered with stumps and stone-piles, and almost without buildings; during these sixteen years, Mr. W. has built a 35x60 and a 30x36 barn, and a large and tasteful brick; farmhouse, the main part of which is 28x30 and two stories high; the wing is 25x28, one and a half stories; also built a stone and brick granary and hog-house; these, with the smaller buildings, make almost a village; his farmyard is inclosed(sic) by a solid stone wall five and a half feet high; his land, in three locations, comprises 126 acres, and is well improved. He married, June 10, 1864, Miss Charlotte Schmidt, daughter of Peter Schmidt; they have seven children - Charles, Louisa, Emma, Frank, Eda, Tilda and Sarah, all born on the homestead made so valuable by the labor and good management of the parents. No one in Waukesha County has done better work in improvements, in the same time, than has Charley Wollman; politics, Republican.
FRANCIS WOLLMAN, farmer, Sec. 2; P. O. Tess Corners; born in Reignberg, German Bohemia, in 1811; his father, Anton, was a doctor and a large farmer. Francis attained a good education, knows four languages, and learned the farrier's profession in Germany; he fought on the patriot side through the rebellion of 1848, and can show scars of sword, bayonet and bullet wounds then received; he assessed three Bohemian towns in 1850, and collected the taxes in them; and served three and a half years as Supervisor, resigning a week before coming to America in 1852, with his wife, formerly Barbara Ehrlich, born 1818, in Reignberg, locating the same year on his homestead of 110 acres; it was then a wilderness of heavy timber, except 15 acres of stumps; they began in a leaky log house; were stricken with ague, and we can hardly blame Mrs. W., who had left an elegant home, for being heartsick and homesick; they kept on, and the large and pleasant home, with a number of large and well-filled barns, is the reward. Mr. W. has prospered well, and has given each of his children $1,000 in land or money; he has owned over 400 acres; has also followed the practice of veterinary surgery with the best of success, over a wide range in all adjoining towns, and even in Milwaukee. Mr. and Mrs. Wollman have six children - Frank, Mary, Charles, Annie, Julia and William, all born in Bohemia; Anthony- and Emilie (born in Muskego), are dead; Frank is in a store in Appleton, Wis.; William, only, remains with the old folks; he married Sarah Baasa.
ADOLPH WOLLMER, farmer, Sec. 11; P. O. Tess Corners; born Aug. 22, 1837, near Otterndorf, Hanover; his parents, Peter N. and Sophia W,, emigrated in 1847, locating on a farm in Greenfield, Milwaukee Co., where Adolph remained until 1866; he then located on his farm of 94 acres; has cleared it of the stumps of the original timber, and built, in 1878, a large and pleasant, farmhouse; has also enlarged the original barn, it now being 30x80, and built one 26x30. Married Miss Meena, daughter of C. L. Pellman; she was born in Saxony; they have five children - Tillie, Rudolph, Amanda, Edward and Ella, all born on the home farm. Mr. W. is a live farmer; formerly bred horses, but at present is raising grain; politics, Democrat.