From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880Back to Main Index
JAMES K. ANDERSON, firm of Anderson & Haslage, proprietors of Silurian Springs; was born in Canada, in 1850; us son of John and Mary Brown Anderson. The father was a merchant in Brockville; is now a resident of Waukesha. Subject of this sketch left home at the age of 13, and has relied on his own resources since that time; began business life and continued seven years as clerk in a dry-goods store; was afterward in wholesale house; was several years "on the road," first as a salesman, and afterward as a general agent; his success is evinced from the fact that he was gradually promoted from his small remuneration to a salary of $5,000 per annum, prior to engaging in the Silurian enterprise, in which he has a half-interest. He was married in 1877, to Miss Rose W. Shipman, daughter of the well-known architect, Col. S. V. Shipman, of Chicago. They have two children--James K., born 1878, and Alice M. born in 1879. He has a good public school education, and the discipline and culture which all strong characters acquire by extended and practical dealings with men; he was successful as a wholesale and general agent, and these abilities as a business man mark him as pre-eminently fitted for the management of the Silurian Springs which with their improvements, represent an investment of nearly $40,000.
MRS. SOPHRONIA ST. CLAIR AYER daughter of Nathaniel St. Clair, of Vermont, was born March 17, 1805; was married to Mr. Ayer, on Feb. 7, 1836. He was born Feb. 18, 1801, in St. Johnsbury, Vt.; he was a stone-cutter; worked on State Capitol, at Montpelier; came West, June, 1867, at home, on the farm. She soon after sold the farm, and moved into the village of Waukesha, which is now her home; her residence is on Maple avenue; she often tells of her first ride in this country, which was on a board across the crotch of a big tree, drawn by two yoke of oxen. Wolves were frequent visitors in the country, and "panthers" (catamounts) called occasionally. People then had enough to eat, but their dress did not conform to full fashion style; gingham sun-bonnets and checkered aprons were prominent "Sunday fixens." They had five children--Sarah Ann, Elizabeth, William W., Stephen St. Clair, Hannah Melissa; these all died at ages ranging from 10 years to 22 years. Mr. Ayer was a temperance man. She is a member of the Baptist Church. "Auntie Ayer" is well known for her social qualities and quaint good-nature.
DR. JOSHUA EDGAR BACON was born in Waukesha Aug. 2, 1848; was educated at the seminary, Carroll College. He graduated from the Medical Department of Harvard College, Boston, June, 1873; engaged in hospital practice about one year, then attended lectures at Rush Medical College and Hahnemann Medical College, of Chicago, and commenced practicing in Waukesha in 1875. Dr. Bacon is physician to the Industrial School, and is also "Health" physician. He was married in Waukesha, June 3, 1875, to Miss Ida Savage. She was born in Rochester, N.Y.
WINCHEL D. BACON was born Aug. 21, 1916, at Stillwater, Saratoga Co., N.Y..; son of Samuel and Lydia Barber (Dailey) Bacon; he clerked two years in Troy, N.Y., and in 1837 went to the town of Butternuts, Otsego Co., N.Y., with his parents. He was married July 4, 1838, to Miss Delia Blackwell. She was born Feb. 25, 1817, in the town of Butternuts. Mr. Bacon continued on his farm for four years, teaching school winters. On the 2d of September, 1841, he gathered together his small accumulations, and, with his wife, started for the West; they came from Utica to Buffalo by canal, hence by steamer to Milwaukee, and by team from there to Prairieville (now Waukesha), where he has lived ever since, engaged in farming on Sec. 8; he was there one year, then removed to the village, still continuing farming. Mr. Bacon has been engaged in banking, and has principal owner of mercantile houses; he taught school in Waukesha Co. the winters of 1841, 1842 and 1843. and one summer; in 1843, he carried on the business of wagon-making with his brother-in-law, Charles Blackwell. He continued to teach until the spring of 1844, when at the request of Edmund Clinton, he formed a partnership with him to carry on blacksmithing, continuing wagon-making. In the fall of 1844 with Mr. Clinton, and purchased the lot where the Exchange Hotel now stands, and built a shop there, continuing wagon-making and blacksmithing with Mr. Blackwell. He was six years in this business, then he traded his shop for a steam saw-mill at Brookfield. In 1863, he was appointed Paymaster in the army by President Lincoln, stationed at St. Louis. In 1865, he organized the Farmers' National Bank, and conducted it about four years. Mr. Bacon was for several years general agent for the N. W. National Fire & Marine Insurance Co., of Milwaukee and retired from that business in 1875; was Member of the Assembly in 1853. Through his influence, the Reform School was located at Waukesha; he was made Acting Commissioner to locate the school, and had charge of accounts and disbursed the money until its completion. He was for several years a Trustee of the State Insane Hospital; also Trustee of the Deaf and Dumb Asylum; he was President of the Waukesha Agricultural Society several years, and member of the Board of Trustees of the Chicago University for several years. Mr. Bacon has been connected with Carroll College as a Trustee many years; not at present, however. He is Clerk at the present time of his school district, and is prominently identified with the temperance organizations; also of A., F. & A. M. Mr. Bacon has three children - Joshua Edgar, now a physician of Waukesha; Lydia Delia, now Mrs. George F. H. Barber, of Waukesha; and Julia, at home. Lost two children - Samuel Dailey, who died July 14,1849; he was born Nov. 20, 1844, in Waukesha; Winchel D., was born May 11, 1854, and died Sept. 9, 1859. Mrs. Bacon died Feb. 12, 1880, in Waukesha. Throughout Mr. Bacon's varied experience, he has never discontinued farming.
SAMUEL W. BAKER, carpenter, at Wisconsin Industrial School; native of Pennsylvania; came to Wisconsin in 1858. Enlisted in 1862, and served until 1866; the last year was in the Regular Army; has been with the Industrial School since 1875; works in all departments as repairer, and is head carpenter in erection of new buildings; is in charge of a "family" as the home subdivisions of the school are styled; is reported as a good mechanic and a reliable man.
GEORGE F. H. BARBER was born in the town of Delafield, Waukesha County, Sept. 1, 1850; son of Silas and Amelia Barber; educated in Waukesha Union School, Carroll College, and graduated from Princeton College, N. J., Class of 1873. He returned to Waukesha, and has been associated with his father in business until the present time. He is also owner of a farm in Waukesha County. Mr. Barber was married in Waukesha, Oct. 21, 1875, to Lydia D. Bacon; she was born in this village; they have one child, Winchell F., born July 3O, 1877. Member of Royal Areanum, and of the Presbyterian Church.
SILAS BARBER was born in the town of Berkshire, Franklin Co., Vt., June 30, 1824; came from Vermont to Wisconsin in 1841; remained a week in town of New Berlin; went from there to Pewaukee, where he worked six years; lived three years in Delafield. then came to Waukesha, and engaged in the hotel and livery business, until 1864. He was proprietor of the American House, which he sold in 1864; since then he has engaged in the livery business and farming. Mr. Barber was married, April, 1847, to Amelia Hasbrook; she was born in New York State; they have two children - George Fay Hunt Barber, who is with his father in Exchange Block Stable; and Rhoda Maria, now Mrs. Josiah McLain. Mr. McLain has been Town Treasurer several terms; member of Assembly in 1867, and has held various village offices. They have lost one son, who died at the age of 14 months.
MRS. NANCY S. BARNARD, nee Hokins, widow of William S. Barnard. He was born in Deerfield, Mass., October 15, 1805. She was born in Bennington Co. Vt., Dec. 18, 1809; was married in Vermont in 1829, came to Waukesha in 1839, and settled where they now live, on Madison St., in a house which they erected forty years ago. Mr. Barnard was a blacksmith - made many edge tools and farming implements - was a natural mechanic; he ran a gristmill for twenty years. They had seven children, six of whom died in infancy; the only surviving son, is William H., born in Salem, Washington Co., N.Y., in 1834; he married Sophia A. Carpenter on the 25th of September, 1861, and lives at the old homestead; he made two trips and spent six years in the mines of Colorado. Mr. Barnard was an active Anti-slavery man, and a temperance Republican; he delighted in the growth of Waukesha and triumph of Republicanism; near the old homestead he first erected a slab building - one-half for residence and half for blacksmith-shop; they never suffered for necessaries of life. Family are Congregationalists. Mr. Barnard died Feb., 15, 1879.
SAMUEL HALL BARSTOW was born at Plainfield, Conn., Jan. 3, 1807; attended district school until 16 years of age; then entered Deacon Douglass' store as clerk - quite an event for a farmer boy in those days At 20 years of age, Mr. Barstow began the merchantile (sic) (sic) business in Norwich, Conn., where he built one of the finest business blocks in that, city. The building is still standing and in use as a place of business. In 1833 he moved to Cleveland, and immediately began the merchantile (sic) business at Brighton, Ohio; in May, 1839, he came to Prairieville, to take charge of the first flouring-mill, then partly finished, and he has since resided in Waukesha. Mr. Barstow was a member of the Territorial Legislature, in 1846, and helped erect Waukesha County; was Register of Deeds, from 1848 to 1852, and again in 1861 and 1862; was elected Clerk. of the Court, and was Coroner several terms. He was married April 27, 1830, to Susan R. Babcock, born in Norwich, Conn.. daughter of Nathan Babcock; they have had eight children, and only three of whom are living - Helen A., now Mrs. W.F. Whitney; Susan B., now Mrs. George C. Waller, whose husband died in San Francisco; and Sarah R., now Mrs. George Harding. Their son, William A., enlisted in the 29th W. V. I., as musician; was the Captain's clerk for a time; Hospital Steward for some time; learned surgery. becoming an expert in the business and died in California, aged 29 years, leaving a wife and one child. The other four children died in infancy. On the 23d of April, 1880, Mr. and Mrs. Barstow celebrated the fiftieth anniversary of their marriage, by a golden wedding party, which was largely attended, and at which the presents were numerous. It is the lot of but few couples to enjoy such a rare occasion and such a gathering as characterized this golden-wedding party. Mr. and Mrs. B. are both in good physical and mental health, enjoying a beautifully located home on the hill overlooking Waukesha Village.
JACOB BEEBE, retired farmer; he was born in 1811, at Gelderland, Albany Co., N.Y.; learned trade of carpenter and joiner, and worked at the business several years, he was married in 1832, to Miss Anna Ham, of York State; came West in spring of 1854, and stopped two years in township of Yorkville, Racine Co.; in 1856, he bought a farm in township of Vernon, Waukesha Co., which he carried on until he sold it in 1874. They visited for a year after quitting the farm mainly in the East, with a view of spending their last years in their old Eastern home, but the conditions, were changed- the place and people seemed to be different from their remembrance ľand, therefore, they returned, and chose a home in the village of Waukesha; they have a pleasant home on East avenue; they had but one child - a daughter, Almira. who married Dwight Rector, and lives in Brooklyn. N. Y.; they have had two children, one of whom, Anna M.. lives with her grandparents. Mr. Beebe is the Treasurer and one of the elders of the Presbyterian Church; he never in his life had a law-suit, and "was never dunned for a dollar;" he was successful as a farmer - raised good crops during the period of high prices; he is still in comfortable health, but Mrs. Beebe has been in delicate health for many years. They do not want for this world's goods; are blessed with many friends, and are cheerfully passing on to the Sunset Land.
C. G. BERGELER was born in Prussia Dec. 29, 1832; came to America in 1857; settled at Milwaukee in the spring of that year. In October, he came to Waukesha, where he was engaged in the business of shoemaking fifteen years, when he became the proprietor of the Bethesda Livery Stable, which are first-class in every respect. He was married in Waukesha, Sept. 8th, 1858, to Amelia Goattel; she was born in Prussia, they have six children - Louisa, Carl, Emma, Clara, Lillie, and Laura. They have lost one son, who died in infancy.
WM. BLAIR came to Waukesha in December, 1845, where he has made his home ever since. He established a thrashing manufactory, and was in partnership with Archibald McLachlen for five years; they carried on the business in a building which they rented from Wm. S. Barnard, now known as Barnard's shop; Mr. McLachlen was a partner with Mr. Blair for ten years; Mr. McLachlen sold his interest to Amos Smith eighteen or twenty years ago. Mr. Blair purchased Mr. Smith's interest. Mr. Blair has been President of the Waukesha County Manufacturing Company since its organization; President of the Waukesha County National Bank since 1865, he has also been a stockholder and director of the State Bank and Waukesha County National Bank, since their organization. Mr. Blair discontinued the manufacture of thrashing machines about eight years ago; general repair and jobbing business is the principal work done now. Mr. Blair carries on a farm in the town of Waukesha, Sections 4 and 5. Mr Blair was Chairman of the Board of Supervisors for some years, and President of the Village Board many years; has also been State Senator for six years. Mr. Blair was a native of Ayrshire, Scotland, born July 31, 1820, and came to America, with his brother, in 1836, located in Wheatland, village of Mumford, Monroe Co., N.Y., and learned the machinist's trade, with his brother James, and remained here until 1845. He was married in LeRoy, Genesee Co., N.Y., in June, 1847, to Nancy M. Emmons; she died May 20, 1859, leaving three children, having lost two; Frank C. resides in Waukesha, George R. lives on a farm, and Willie G. is a druggist's clerk at Council Bluffs. Mr. Blair was married the second time in Waukesha, Wis., June 23, 1860, to Henrietta A. Emmons, a native of Otsego Co., N.Y.; they have lost one daughter, who died in 1863, and have two children living--Henry E. and Arthur J.
Note--Since the above was placed in type, the following extract from a newspaper has been sent to us, About three months ago our community was shocked to learn that Hon. William Blair was afflicted with a mortal disease. He had been sick for months before, but only those who knew him most intimately had been aware of the extent of his sufferings, and none had any knowledge of the nature of his malady. So fixed were his business habits, that he kept his accustomed way, and so reticent was hi in merely personal matters, that what concerning himself he must have suspected, he never divulged to others, not even his best friends. But the time came when he must succumb; and then it was that the community first learned from his physician that the strong man was rapidly sinking with a cancer in his stomach. * * * Mr. Blair died at his residence in this village, at 6 o'clock on Tuesday evening, July 13, aged 60 years. he was buried by the Masons, on Thursday afternoon, at 3 o'clock.
Resolutions of Respect--At a special meeting of the Village Board, held at the Council rooms, on Wednesday evening, July 14, 1880, the following resolutions, on the death of Hon. William Blair, were adopted,
Resolved. That the Board has learned with regret of the death of Hon. William Blair, for many years a member and President thereof, a member of the Board of Public Charities, and a member of the State Senate.
Resolved. That the loss sustained by the community in the demise of so useful and public-spirited a citizen as Mr. Blair, is one to be lamented by every one, and that, in order to pay fitting respect to his memory, it is recommended that all usual business in the village be suspended during the funeral of the deceased, from 3 to 5 o'clock P.M. of Thursday, July 15.
Resolved. That the Village Clerk be instructed to procure the publication of these resolutions in the public newspapers of Waukesha, and deliver a copy to the family of the deceased. Resolved. That the board attend the funeral of ex-President Blair in a body. Resolved. That as a further mark of respect, this board do now adjourn. H.M. Youmans, President F.M. Slawson, Clerk
BENJAMIN BOORMAN was born in the county of Kent, town of Headcorn, England April 12, 1829. Came to America 20th of April, 1848. (Visited Wisconsin in May of the same year.) Carne to Wisconsin in May, 1849, and settled at Waterloo and carried on the milling business with his brother, William Boorman, for four years. He then sold out to William and removed to Pewaukee, in January, 1854, and carried on milling at that point until May, 1878; since then, the mill there has been rented to Benjamin F. Boorman and Adam Boorman. Mr. Boorman purchased the Saratoga Hills in Waukesha, in February, 1876 (then the Forest City Mills); was a member of the Board of Village Trustees while, at Pewaukee, and one of the first members of the Board there; he is a member of the Waukesha Village Board at present time. He was engaged about seven years, at Pewaukee, in the mercantile business, and conducted and owned the cracker bakery at that place for five years. Mr. Boorman was married at Darien, in Walworth Co., Dec., 6, 1852, to Fannie Boorman; she was born in Framfield, County Sussex, England, May 10, 1829. They have two children living - Benjamin Franklin and Edna Bailey. They have lost four children. One died at the age of 4 years, another at 15 months, the other two in infancy.
DR. J. R. BOYD was born in Portland, Me., Aug. 13, 1846; reared in Mississippi until he was 14 years of age. In 1860, he went to Europe; returned to Mississippi in September, 1861. The following month, he again left for Europe; he entered school at "The Gymnasiun," at Aherdeen, Scotland; in September, 1864, he left for India as an assistant manager of a coffee-plantation; from October, 1864, to May, of 1870, Mr. Boyd remained in India, being manager at the time he left there, bringing with him flattering testimonials from his employers. He came to Wisconsin in April, 1871, located in Watertown, where he remained but a month, and then went to Bloomington, Ill.; was there until November of the same year, when he returned to Watertown and studied dentistry with Dr. Albert Solliday; was with him until the last of February, 1875, then went to the N. Y. College of Dentistry, and continued there two full years, and graduated Feb. 27, 1877, receiving the faculty prize of $100, that being the only prize given for best examinations in all the departments. May 15, 1877, he formed a partnership with Horace Enos, of Milwaukee; was with him eighteen months, then went South for a short time, and July 1, 1879, commenced business here. Dr. Boyd is the son of Rev. Fred W. Boyd, D. D., and Mary E. (Bailey) Boyd - both living, and at present residents of Waukesha. There are four children in the family living James R., Walter S., Lloyd T. and Charles Mayo.
MOSES BRYANT, the veteran pioneer; born in Cornish N.H., May 21, 1786. He lived in New Hampshire until 1844, when he came to Wisconsin, and lived five years in Oak Grove, Dodge Co. In 1849, he settled in the village of Waukesha, where he continues to reside. Most of his life he has been a farmer, and wholly so since coming to Wisconsin. Was some years in mercantile business in New Hampshire; also used to speculate in cattle, horses and produce. He was married,Jan. 31, 1816. to Miss Tirzah Kingston, of Plainfield, N. H.; she died in his present home on 13th of October, 1854, leaving five children, three of whom are now living, two sons in Chicago, and one in Boston. He has lived in his present house since 1849. In 1812, he was sutler at Burlington, Vt. He served eight years as Justice of the Peace, including the term in the East and in Wisconsin; contestants seldom appealed from his decision. He has always sought to do right, without fear or favor. He is a republican, and hoped to vote for James G. Blaine, but James A. Garfield is acceptable to him, and, Providence permitting, will receive the vote of this man - the oldest in Waukesha County. He has unwonted vigor, both in word and act. He tills a large garden, and would assist his youthful neighbors, if they needed. He enjoys relating the memories of Old Lang-Syne. He tells, with gusto, of the days when he did "a-courting go" and he is an agreeable companion for young or aged. He has been a Christian for more than half a century; was a Congregationalist in New Hampshire, but is a Baptist in Wisconsin. His residence is on East avenue. For ninety-four years, he has borne life's burdens, and is now cheerfully waiting to enter into his rest.
JOHN P. BUCKNER, farmer; P. O., Waukesha; born in Bavaria, Germany, on 3rd of January, 1833. Parents came to United States when he was 5 years of age, remained two years in Buffalo, N. Y., then in 1840 located on Government land, Sec. 18, in township of New Berlin, where his, parents remained till their death. He remembers the "close times" when he was a youngster; lived one entire winter on meal and water - a crude johnny-cake. Remembers, vividly, when 7 years of age, walking barefoot from Milwaukee and bringing a live cat, those animals being then scarce in the settlement, and one neighbor, who was overrun with the animals to which cats are mortal enemies, gave $2.50 for a young cat. He went to California, and arrived in San Francisco in February, 1853, with only 20 shillings in his pocket; secured a loan of $20 from a fellow passenger, and immediately went to Sacramento, where he found acquaintances, one of whom was making his fortune by raising pigs in his cabin where he was "baching." The little ones were fed from a spoon, and when six weeks old were worth $50. The practical work of mining was successful on the Center Fork of the Sacramento, twenty-five miles north of the city, and he worked there till May, 1857, when he returned to Waukesha, having been absent five and a half years. He then bought his father's farm of 165 acres, in New Berlin, and he still owns the old homestead. He was married in November, 1857, to Miss Delia Snyder, a native, of Wisconsin; she died in March, 1867, leaving three children - Alice A., born 1858; George A., born 1862, and Fred W., born 1867. He is a reliable Republican, but was several terms Supervisor in New Berlin, a Democratic town. On 20th of November, 1867, he was married to Miss Isabelle Hoagg, of Waukesha, by whom he has one child, May Isabella, born in 1876. In fall of 1877, he moved to village of Waukesha, where he has considerable real estate. In 1879, he built a large brick house on Broadway, adjoining village limits. This residence is on a commanding eminence and is one of the finest homes in the village. During the season for watering-place tourists, some insist on making his house their home.
DEXTER BULLARD, retired farmer; he was born in May, 1828, in Tolland Co., Conn. Was married June 18, 1854, to Miss Mary L. Bullard, daughter of Dr. C. Bullard, of Pulaski, Va.; she died April 9, 1855. His present wife is a native of Virginia, and most of his relatives also are residents of Virginia. Was married in May, 1858, to Miss Mary Stone, daughter of Capt. William A. Stone, of Lunenburg Co., Va.; came West in 1860, and settled in Genesee Township, on a large farm, which they still own. In 1873, they moved into the village of Waukesha, and purchased the fine residence known as "Maple Grove," situated on the corner of Maple avenue and Hurlburt street. They have two children - both now at home - Earnest L., a junior in Wisconsin State University, and Eva May. Their home is one of the pleasantest. on one of the pleasantest street in this pleasant village. It is annually the summer home of many tourists, most of whom are from the " Sunny South."
GEORGE N. BURROUGHS, born in Fishkill, Dutchess Co., N. Y., Sept. 26, 1834; came to Wisconsin in May, 1847, and has lived to the present date. He was with his father in the hardware business from his youth, to 1878. He was married in the fall of 1855, to Miss Sarah E. Howell, from York State. They have had five children - one died while young. The names of living are Minnie, who is married, and living in La Crosse; Nelson H.. living in Kansas City, Kan. (not Missouri); Anna and Willie are at home. Mrs. Burroughs is a Baptist; he is a Royal Arch Mason; he owns a large residence on the corner of Main and Bridge Sts. They annually accommodate tourists who spend the season at this favorite summer resort.
NELSON BURROUGHS (retired), born on the 4th of July, 1808, in Saratoga, Co., N. Y., is the son of Dr. George Burroughs, who was a native of Dutchess Co., N. Y. Mr. B.'s early life was spent in the township of Fishkill, Dutchess Co. He is a tinner, and carried on that business in connection with a hardware store in that town for twenty years. In November, 1828, he was married to Miss Amanda Marsh, of Orange Co., who was born in 1810, and died on Jan. 3, 1861; she had five children, three of whom survived her - George, now married and living in Waukesha; Oscar, since deceased, was first, Cashier, Waukesha County Rank; Mary, deceased; Theadmore, married, and since deceased; Walter, deceased, student. Mr. Burroughs came West and settled in Waukesha in June, 1847, when " Prairieville " was the name of the place; he established himself as a hardware-merchant, and continued in the same business thirty years, and most of the time in one building; which he still owns; in 1878, he sold out, to Gaspar & LeClare. He was married to his present wife in 1865 - her maiden was Bennett - her first husband was a prominent banker in New York City, named Filley. Mrs. B. and her daughters are Episcopalians. He owns 27 acres of land east of the Silurian Spring, and a large stone residence on Main St. He was one of the eight founders of the Waukesha County Bank, and was at one time Cashier of the same; he was the first President of the village of Waukesha, and has held various village and township offices, and in 1862 was elected from this district as Representative to the State Legislature. From boyhood he has " paddled his own canoe," but is now " resting on his oars."
CARL BUSJAEGER, retired; born in Carlsruhe, Baden, Germany, in October, 1827; was engaged as a manufacturer in the old country. Was married in 1851 to Miss Amelia Kollofrat; came to United States in 1855, and after stopping a year in Milwaukee, he bought a farm of 200 acres in Pewaukee, which he carried on for six years; since 1861, his home has been the village of Waukesha. Was a War Democrat. Enlisted in 1865 in Co. D, 48th W. V. I.; went on to Plains to fight Indians; was honorably discharged Feb. 19, 1866, with rank of Sergeant. In 1867, he built the " Waukesha House," on Madison St.; it is used for boarding-house and saloon. Has five children - Carl, Anna, Max, Matilila and August. Owns a large residence on Center St., and has real estate elsewhere in the State. As a member of the l. O. O. F. Is an Independent Democrat.
REV. CHARLES W. CAMP, Pastor Congregational Church; born Oct. 7, 1821, in Litchfield Co., Conn. He graduated from Yale College in 1844, and then graduated at the Union Theological Seminary of New York City in 1847; came to Wisconsin in the fall of same year and located at Genesee, where he remained five years, preaching one year at Palmyra, where he organized a church; in 1853, he was called to the pastorate of the church at Sheboygan, where he remained eleven years; in 1864, he took charge of the church at Fond du Lac City, and he left that pastorate to assume his present relations at Waukesha, in January, 1868. He was married Oct. 28, 1847, to Miss Elizabeth Whittlesay, daughter of Deacon David Whittlesey, of New Britain, Conn.; is grand-daughter of Dr. John Smalley, a noted divine of the last century. They have had six children, two died in childhood; the names of the living are Lillie C., Charles M., Edgar W. and William H. The parsonage is on Carroll street. He is now the Senior Pastor in Waukesha. The Congregational Church is a neat edifice, and is very centrally located. The society is harmonious and prosperous.
PATRICK H. CARNEY came to Waukesha, in October, 1847, and engaged in farming until 1852; then attended Carroll College until the spring of 1856, and was publisher and editor of the Waukesha County Democrat until 1865; then he engaged in farming, and continued that business until the spring of 1868, when he was elected County Judge, which position he held four years; after leaving that office, he engaged in the practice of law, which he has continued ever since. From April, 1877, to April, 1879, he again conducted the Waukesha County democrat, at the same time carrying on his law business; prior to his election as County Judge, he was Clerk of the Circuit Court in 1863 and 1864; he was elected Mayor in 1879. Mr. Carney was born in Lincoln Co., Me., March 17, 1836; he lived there until he came to Waukesha, with his parents, and located in the town of Mukwonago. O'Brien Carney, his father, died six years ago; Mary Ann Carney, his mother, is still living.
BENJAMIN CARPENTER, retired farmer; born Sept. 80, 1794, in Orange Co., N. Y. Married, May 10,. 1815, to Miss Jane Keen, daughter of Capt. Keen, a prominent merchant of Orange Co. Although but 20 years of age at time of his marriage, he had previously served one year in the war with England; his regiment was stationed at Harlem Heights. They came West in 1845 and settled on farm in township of Brookfield, Waukesha Co. Mrs. Carpenter died in 1866; she was the mother of eleven children, only four of whom now survive; the four are married and live in four different States. He was married in March, 1868, to Mrs. Naomi Barnes, who died in October, 1873, without issue. He sold the main farm in 1868, and lived on a small place near the Junction till 1876, when he removed to village of Waukesha, where he now resides. In Brookfield, he served several terms as Justice of the Peace. For the last twelve years he has not taken an active part in business. He married his last wife in September, 1874; her maiden name was M. G. McCourdy; she died in 1875. He owns a comfortable corner residence on West Side, near the stone schoolhouse. He now lives with a family who rent his house. Although 86 years of age. he is still smart and cheerful.
EUGENE W. CHAFIN, was born in Mukwonago, this county, Nov. 1, 1852; graduated from the Wisconsin State University, at Madison, Wis., June 17, 1875. In the fall of 1875, he came to Waukesha, and engaged in the practice of law. He was first elected Justice of the Peace in the spring of 1877, and has been elected to serve a second term. He is the son of Samuel.K. and Betsey A. Chafin, who settled in Wisconsin in 1837; his father died Oct. 14, 1865; his mother now resides on part of the old homestead, in the town of East Troy, Wis. Mr. Chain is author of " The Voter's Hand-Book." He was admitted to the bar at the time he graduated from the State University. Mr. Chafin is District Chief Templar, I. O. G.' T., for Waukesha Co.
WALTER S. CHANDLER was born at Batavia, Genesee Co., N. Y., Jan 18, 1836; came from there to Milwaukee, Aug. 29, 1848, where he resided until July 18, 1877, then moved to the village of Waukesha, and carried on the lumber trade until 1878, when he disposed of that business. Since June 25, 1878, he has been proprietor of the Eocene Mineral Spring, since then giving his whole attention to the development of the business arising therefrom. Mr. Chandler's father was Judge Daniel H. Chandler, for many years a prominent citizen of Milwaukee, and engaged in the practice of law there. His mother, Mary Stark Chandler, was a descendant of Gen. Stark, of Revolutionary fame. Walter S. Chandler was married May 16, 1859, to Sarah O. Kneeland; she was born in Le Roy, Genesee Co., N. Y., March 18, 1838; they have had four children, two living - Ralph, born July 10, 1861; and Burr Kneeland, born Oct 22, 1872; two children died in infancy. Mr. Chandler is a member of the Episcopal Church. He served as School Commissioner of Milwaukee, Fourth Ward, in 1869 - 70.
EDWIN CHESTER, father of Mrs. Col. White, was born in 1797, in New London Co., Conn. Married in 1823 to Miss Henrietta Barber, daughter of Hon. Noyes Barber, many years member of Congress from Connecticut; came West in 1850 and settled in Waukesha; has been a merchant all his active life. Had four children - Mary Henrietta, Julius, Elizabeth and George Barber. His home is with his daughters, Mrs. Park and Mrs. White He is a genial Christian gentleman.
LEONARD COLEMAN, proprietor American House; born 2d of January, 1824, in Ft. Ann, Washington Co., N. Y.; came to Milwaukee in fall of 1845 on a prospecting tour, and in 1846, he became a permanent resident of the State. Married, to Miss Marcena Barlow, on the 25th of June, 1848; he farmed twenty-five years in the township of Summit, which is so called from its elevation of three hundred and twenty-five feet above Lake Michigan; they have had four children - buried three sons; the daughter is married to H. G. Morgan, and lives in Waukesha. Mr. C. lived five years in Pensaukee, Wis., as proprietor of Gardner House; this place was seriously injured by a cyclone, in July, 1877 - several killed, and many wounded; his hotel was destroyed and much of the village was prostrated. In the fall of same year he took charge of the American House, and is still the acceptable host; he enjoyed pioneer experiences, but never suffered any wonderful privations. The family are Congregationalists; he is a quiet, reliable Republican.
ALEXANDER COOK came to Wisconsin in August, 1845; located in the village of Waukesha, and has remained here ever since, where he has engaged in the practice of law to the present time. He was District Attorney eight terms and Justice of the Peace eight terms, holding one or the other of these offices nearly all the time since he came here; was also Town Clerk for two or three years. He was born at Sharon Springs, Schoharie Co., N.Y., March 1, 1920; lived there only one or two years, then his mother and father, John R. and Maria Coon Cook, moved to Canajoharie, Montgomery Co., N. Y.; they remained their until 1831, then they moved to the town of Clay, Onondaga Co., N.Y. Mr. Cook was educated at Clinton, N.Y., at Hamilton College and "The Liberal Institute of that place; read law in the city of Syracuse; admitted to the bar in 1843; commenced practice at Waukesha. Was married at Cooperstown, Ostego Co., N.Y., Feb. 1, 1843, to Nancy Stevens; she was born in the town of Cherry Valley, Otsego Co., N.Y.; they had one son, who enlisted in Co. B, 28th W.V.I., in August, 1862; change of climate resulted in his death from typhoid fever, Jan. 23, 1863.
SAMUEL COOK retired; born 1810 in England; married in 1832 to Miss Mary Smith, of England; came to United States in 1836, and for four years carried on shoemaking in York State; in 1840, he located on a farm of 126 acres, which he now owns, in Genesee Township, Waukesha County; also owns a small place of 13 acres in township of Waukesha, besides his home on Carroll St. He quit farming in 1873; he has seven children--George, Sarah J., William S., Charles N., James O., and the twins, Charlotte A. and Elizabeth A. All are married except the youngest. He buried one child in York State; family are Methodists; he is a Republican. He brought a stock of leather and materials for shoemaking with him when he settled in Genesee Township; the stock was very valuable in this new country, and shoemakers were quite scare; his trade for some years was very lucrative. He has been a continuous resident of Waukesha Co. for fully forty years; when he came into the country there were only about half a dozen dwellings where village of Waukesha now stands. In 1840, four men walked from Milwaukee with him, designing to stop at Prairieville; after wandering through the brush some tie, on the site of the present village of Waukesha, they happened to meet a boy, of who they inquired, "Where is Prairieville?" The boy answered, "Here." "Well," said they, "where are the houses?" "Oh," said the boy, "the houses are to be built as soon as the folks come here." But one of the four has helped to "build the houses" where the prophetic lad located the village. Mr. Cook, in common with other early settlers, suffered some privations, but, as a whole, he enjoyed the friendly pioneer life. he is still hale and hearty.
CHARLES CORK was born in Headcorn, County of Kent, England, Oct. 25, 1832, came to America, May, 1848; located in Rochester, N. Y., one year, then moved to South Lima, N. Y., where he lived until 1856; then came to the town of Ontario, Knox Co., Ill.; remained there two seasons, and, in the spring of 1858, he went to Page Co., Iowa, for one year (now owns 300 acres of land in Page and Fremont Co. ), started for Pike's Peak, in the spring of 1859, but returned, and came to Waukesha, in June, 1859, and engaged in the flour, feed, and grocery business, for two years; discontinued then the feed business, and added crockery to his line. Mr. Cork discontinued the flour business, in 1870, and has since carried on the business of dealer in groceries, crockery, cutlery, notions, etc. Mr. Cork has been a member of the Village Board several terms; Fire Warden, and Chief of Fire Department; he has been a member of the Fire Department twelve years; he contracted for furnishing most of the shade and ornamental trees in Waukesha, for the last eight or ten years. Mr. Cork is a member of A., F. & A. M. Lodge (Master Mason). He was married in the town of Merton, Waukesha Co., May 1, 1864, to M. Gertrude Farner, daughter of Dr. William H. Farner, one of the oldest settlers of Waukesha. Dr. Farner came in the spring of 1847, to Waukesha, and engaged in the practice of medicine for a number of years; afterward lived in Kenosha two years; he resided in Iowa ten years, at Des Moines and Keokuk; afterward went to Galveston, Tex., then to Illinois, and lived in Loraine, Adams Co., seven years; died Dec. 14, 1878. Mrs. Cork was born in Hinesburg. Chittenden Co., Vt., Sept. 4, 1844; they have two children - Gertrude Pearl, born Jan. 7, 1870, and Charles Alfred Hayes, born Sept. 9, 1875.
WILLIAM CRUICKSHANK, retired. Born March 2, 1810, in Aberdeenshire, Scotland; learned trade of stonecutter, in his native country; came to United States in 1836, and spent seven years in York State, engaged either at his trade or as contractor on public works; came West in 1843, and settled in New Berlin, Waukesha Co.; was married, in 1844, to Miss Jane Mathewson, who died in 1852, leaving two children, John and Jeanette. Went to California, after death of his wife, and remained till 1858; then, till 1873, he carried on general farming; since that date his home has been Waukesha; owns a cozy home on Main St.; "never drinks any liquor and attends the Episcopal Church every Sunday morning." He was educated at his parish school, in Scotland, but soon, by private study, advanced beyond its curriculum; early developed special ability as a mathematician; he has been known for years as maker of "Sun Dials," one of which is in the Waukesha Cemetery. An intelligent person can spend an hour very profitably in the company of Mr. Cruickshank, for he has pursued an extended course of reading and study, and may, with propriety, be styled a self-educated man.
ORLANDO CULVER, harness-maker and carriage trimmer; born 1839 in New York; came West with his parents in 1853. He has been a resident of Waukesha Co. since 1854. Was married in 1860, to Miss Ann Wells, daughter of Rev. William Wells, a superannuated Methodist preacher, now living in Portage, Wis. On the 6th day of May, 1861, he enlisted in Co. F., 5th W. V. I. He served in three different regiments an aggregate of two years and four months. He entered as a private and was honorably discharged as 2d Lieutenant. He learned his trade before the war, and bought out the old proprietor during the war, and since the war he has carried on the business to present date. His is one of the leading establishments of the kind in Waukesha. He owns the shop on Main street, and also a house on River street, but resides on Grand Avenue. Has three children, Alice E., Ann Etta and Grace M., all now at home. He has served several times as one of the " City Fathers," was one term Township Treasurer, two terms Village Treasurer, three terms Village Marshal. Is a Republican. He is a member of the Royal Arcanum, is a Master Mason, and member I. O. O. F. The family are Methodists, and he is Superintendent of the Methodist Sunday School. He is a skilled mechanic, and a valuable citizen.
SAMUEL G. CURTIS was born in Jamestown, Chautauqua Co., N. Y., July 20, 1836; his father was born in the State of New York in 1802, and was one of the first settlers of the now thriving city of Jamestown, and died on the 22d of July, 1871. His mother was born in Vermont in 1804, and emigrated, with her parents, to Western New York, where she lived until the fall of 1877, and then went with her son, Dr. D. G. Curtis, to Chattanooga, Tenn., where she still resides. Mr. Curtis has two brothers and one sister living in Chattanooga, and one sister living in Jamestown, N. Y. He attended school, receiving a fair academic education, under the tuition of Prof. E. A(sic) Dickinson. At the age of 14, he entered the Jamestown Journal office to learn the printing business under the instruction of Frank W. Palmer, now Postmaster at Chicago, who was editor of the Journal, where he continued for nearly two years, and then started for the then "Far West," making his first stop in Chicago, and finding employment at the case, in the Journal office, where he remained until the breaking-out of the cholera in 1853; he then took a tour through the southern portion of Illinois, but soon returned to Chicago, and remained there for a brief period, going from there to Milwaukee; here he readily found employment on the Daily News, then edited by Col. Dan Shaw, where he remained until the change of proprietors, when he left the office to accept the position as foreman of the Evening Wisconsin; here he remained for several months, to the perfect satisfaction of his employer, Hon. Wm. E. Cramer; the duties and labors of a daily paper becoming too burdensome, he accompanied Mr. Dominie Casey, who had often been in the office for men to go to Waukesha to assist on a new paper being published there, called the Waukesha County Democrat; at Waukesha he remained most of the time closely connected with the once, taking an active part in all its departments, until the fall of 1856, when he went to Detroit, and took a position on the Detroit Free Press, then under the control of Wilbur F. Storey, now of the Chicago Times; he remained in Detroit until after the close of the Fremont and Buchanan campaign, and then went to Sandusky, Ohio, where he met his brother, and the two made a visit to their old home in York State, arriving there about the last of November, 1856; here he remained through the winter, when he went to Westfield, N. Y., took a position on the Transcript, a weekly paper then published by G. P. Buck & Co.; after being in the Transcript once a brief time, he was taken violently ill, and returned home; recovering from his illness, he started for the West in June, 1857, and came direct to Waukesha, and resumed his former position in the Democrat office, where he remained most of the time until 1859; during the five years' residence in Waukesha he was a great favorite among his associates, and was the means of organizing the first Good Templar Lodge in Waukesha County, of which he was a charter member; he also took quite an active part in all political campaigns, often traveling over the county for weeks, assisting his friends. In November, 1859, he was married by the Rev Mr. Latin, to Miss Sarah Francis Slawson, oldest daughter of Frederick Slawson, an old resident of Waukesha, and formerly of Orange Co., N. Y. A day or two after his marriage, he returned to Jamestown, N. Y. In the spring of 1860, he entered into partnership with his father, in the grocery trade, which he continued for some time, and finally purchased and controlled the entire interest; in 1861 he purchased a building lot, in the center of Main street and built a handsome three-story brick store, to better meet the demands of his constantly increasing trade; no man in Jamestown kept a larger or finer stock of goods, or had a larger trade than he. At the breaking-out of the rebellion, when the Government called on the Empire State for its State Guards, of which he was a member, he was one of the first to respond, and cheerfully shouldered his musket, to do what lay in his power to defend the honor and rights of his country; returning home, he, with renewed vigor, continued the grocery trade until the summer of 1866, when he sold his stock to his youngest brother, Horace, and rented his store for a term of years; he next purchased a half-interest in the Chautauqua Press, a large nine-column, Democratic paper, published in Jamestown under the name of Saxton & Curtis; after a season he sold his interest in the office, and went into the oil business, which was anything but profitable; his next adventure was selling goods through Pennsylvania and the "Western Reserve" of Ohio, until 1871, when his father died; returning to Jamestown he sold his property, and, with his wife and family, again started for Wisconsin, and arrived in Waukesha June 5, 1872, and immediately took the position of editor of the Waukesha Plaindealer, making it one of the liveliest sheets published during the Greeley campaign; from the newspaper business he filled various positions which caused him to travel extensively through the Northern States and Canada, and, for nearly three years, through Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa and Missouri; during that time, eighteen months were spent on the plains of the Far West, among many of the wild and savage tribes of Indians. His correspondence to the Chicago Inter Ocean, Waukesha Democrat, Waukesha Freeman and Jamestown Journal, during his Western trip, was highly interesting and-eagerly sought for, giving, as he did, a true picture of the country through which he traveled, the ways and customs of the Indians, their modes of living, worship, etc. Since his return from the Far West, he has been connected in various capacities with the Freeman and Democrat offices at Waukesha; he is now the regular correspondent for the Milwaukee Evening Wisconsin and occasionally furnishes matter for the Milwaukee News. Mr. Curtis has a wife and two children - the eldest, a girl of 18, and a son 11 years of age, who were born in Jamestown N. Y; he is an active member of several organizations, prominent among which are Mt. Moriah Lodge, 145, Jamestown, N. Y; Western Sun Chapter 67, Jamestown N. Y; Chautauqua Council No. 26, Jamestown N. Y., and St. John's Commandery No. 24, Olean, N. Y; he is an ardent Democrat and a great admirer of Gov. Seymour, Gen. McClellan, and the present Democratic nominees for President, Gen. Hancock and Gov. English. He is not a member of any church, and has no particular religious belief, but is a free thinker, and believes in every man enjoying his own private or political religious opinions. He is a great reader, keeps generally posted, and is always read to assist a person when in trouble, be it friend or foe.
DR. JEHIEL SMITH, was born in the town of Bath, N.H., Aug. 25, 1803; he went to Concord, N.H., spent one year there, then he went to Boston; when he was 19 years of age, commenced the study of medicine in Concord, N.H. and completed in Boston. Dr. Smith was educated in the Eclectic Medical School; he studied with a physician at Cambridge, and graduated from Eclectic Medical College of Cincinnati, and has practiced for fifty years. Dr. Smith is one of the pioneers of the new practice of eclectic medicine. He has one daughter, Mary, now a resident of Murray, Iowa. The present wife of Dr. Smith was Julia Louisa Willard, married June 15, 1868; she came to Waukesha as a first assistant of Carroll College, remained there two years. Mrs. Smith was born at Williamsport, Lycoming Co., Penn., May 27, 1827; she has been connected with educational institutions as an instructor, for many years, form 1841 to 1863, and for the last three years more or less, lately conducting a select school; came to Waukesha in September, 1861. Dr. Smith came to Waukesha in October, 1847, and has engaged in the practice of medicine ever since. He is the proprietor of one of the leading mineral springs of this place, an account of which will be found elsewhere in this book.