From "History of Waukesha County" by Western Historical Company, Chicago 1880Back to Main Index
HENRY AUSTERMANN, farmer; Sec. 32; P. O. Waukesha; was born in Lippe-Detmold, Germany, Jan. 31, 1823. His father, Conrad A., was a soldier of Lippe-Detmold; the son was educated in the seminary there, and began teaching in his 20th year, teaching six years. Married, 1875, Amelia Meyer; she was born in Westphalia Feb. 22, 1822. They came to America, in 1848, locating on their present farm. This he bought of his father-in-law, Adolph Meyer; about twenty acres were cleared, on which was a small house and barn. It was new work for this German teacher to swing the ax; but that he did it and did it well is proven by his present surroundings, he owning 300 acres, with good buildngs. In 1852, he removed to Waukesha, and during the next two years kept the Exchange Hotel. Mr. And Mrs. A. have six children-Alvin, Laura, Hulda, Frank, Amanda and Max; the two eldest were born in Lippe-Detmold, and the others in Waukesha Co.; a daughter, Matilda, is deceased. Mr. Austermann is a Democrat, and is devoting his large farm to grain and stock-growing.
GEORGE M. BARNEY, farmer, Sec. 17; P. O. Waukesha; born in the town of Adams, Jefferson Co., N. Y., June 22, 1825; son of Sebina and Polly (Manderville) Barney. In 1836, his father, a Vermonter by birth, made an extended trip through the West, buying land in Ohio and at Mineral Point, Wis. During the spring of 1837, the family came by way of the lakes to Milwaukee, having a rough and tempestuous trip, the ice breaking the paddles from the wheels of the steamer. Landing at Milwaukee in June, they reached Prairieville on the 4th of July. The first summer was spent with Mr. Pettibone, on what was afterward called the Cushman place. Here, George took his first lessons at driving, breaking team, earning $12 per month. Sebina Barney bought a claim on Sec. 14, at this time, and through his labor and care it was made one of the best farms in the county, and many a dollar was earned by him at the forge, as he was the pioneer blacksmith of the locality. After about twenty years, he sold here and located on the farm now owned by George Harding. At the organization of the Waukesha County Bank, Mr. B. was made Vice President, which office he held at his death, on May 29, 1880-a public-spirited, honorable and truly good man; our feeble pen cannot do his memory justice. His home, for a number of years, was in the village, where a street now bears his name. His son, our subject, sold the second location spoken of to Mr. Harding, and has resided on his present farm of 186-1/2 acres since 1868. Built his large and tasteful farmhouse of Cream City brick in 1878, and has done good work as a farmer during his forty-three years' residence in Waukesha. He married, March 13, 1854, Miss Julia Washburn, of Industry, Me.; they have nine children; Sabina D., De Newton, George H., Carrie B., Milton W., Harlow F., Nellie M., Charles A. and Lottie E.; May, born May 1, 1867, died a few weeks after. The children are all natives of this county, and all residents of it, except George H., who is in Dakota. The Barney family are Democrats, and refusers of all office.
A. BLACKWELL, farmer, Sec. 8; P. O. Waukesha; born in the town of Stillwater, Saratoga Co., N. Y., Nov. 18, 1807; his parents, Joshua and Delia (Bowles) Blackwell, were Massachusetts people, and removed, when our subject was a mere lad, to Otsego Co., N. Y. He married Miss Anna, daughter of John and Anna (Farnsworth) Wagner; she was born in Preston, Chenango Co., N. Y., in May, 1845, when they settled on their present homestead in Waukesha; Mr. B. had bought part of it the preceding fall, and had a small house built; the farm was crossed by an Indian trail and was a favorite resort for the redskins in trapping muskrats; he was also on the route of the teamsters between the lead mines and Milwaukee, and the rifle-like crack of their long whips often warned him of the approach of a score of these unwashed, unkempt, but good-hearted fellows; "to fill out our quota of neighbors," says Mr. Blackwell, "we had the Hoosier hogs, built like a sunfish or pumpkin seed, capable of jumping a six-rail fence, or jumping through the cracks between the barn siding; hail stones would split on their backs, and nothing but a stroke of lightning would kill them;" yet they were good old times, and when we look at Mr. B.'s 160-acre farm with its substantial buildings, we can see that he prospered. Mr. And Mrs. Blackwell belong to the Baptist Church, of which he was for many years a Deacon; in politics, he is a Republican, he having served a number of years as Supervisor and Assessor; Mr. And Mrs. B. have three children living,--Jennie A., George E. and Charles A.; the eldest was born in Otsego Co., N. Y., and the sons on the Waukesha homestead.
ASA A. DAVIS, Sec. 30; P. O. Waukesha; was born April 16, 1819, in Westminster, Windham Co., Vt.; his father was Josiah Davis, and his mother an Averill; both well-known old New England families. In 1839, Mr. Davis, then 20, settled in Waukesha Co., a carpenter and joiner by trade; he worked in early times in repairing the Waukesha, and building the old Deisner Mills. In 1840, he bought a part of his present farm of 420 acres, on which he settled ten years later, building part of his present house. This excellent stock-farm was formerly prairie and light openings, with a tract of valuable marsh. On the farm, Mr. Davis has 300 fine-wool sheep, and sixty head of cattle; his sheep are from the flocks of Perkins and Paul. He married Miss Martha Williams (sister of J. W.), who was born in Chester, Vt.; they have a daughter, Martha, now Mrs. Frank Shultis. Mr. Davis is a Republican, and a live and prosperous farmer.
WILLARD M. FARR, farmer, Sec. 9; P. O. Waukesha; was born in the town of Scroon Lake, Essex Co., N. Y., Sept. 10, 1843; he is a son of George W. and Esther (Day) Farr, who removed to Cleveland, Ohio, in 1856; Willard M. was educated at Shaw Academy, and made Cleveland his home until July, 1861, when he enlisted as a private in Co. G, 42d O. V. I.; his Colonel was James A. Garfield-the present Republican nominee for President, whose election will verify Capt. Farr's prediction, made while in the service; his regiment was engaged at Mill Creek, Pond Gap, Cumberland Gap, etc., and took part in Sherman's first abortive attack of Vicksburg, its siege, and on its surrender, our subject was commissioned Lieutenant; after Herron's Red River raid, Lieut. Farr was transferred to the Virginia army, and, in the fall of 1863, was commissioned Captain of Co. I, U. S. Artillery; he also served as Brigade Quartermaster and as Ordnance Officer; after a most honorable military career of over four years, having engaged in fourteen battles, he was honorably discharged in July, 1865; soon after, he located on and for three years owned the farm of Mr. N. Shultis, Genessee. He married, in October, 1866, Miss Susie E., daughter of A. C. Nickell. From 1868 to 1878, the Captain was in the lumber business in Michigan; his farm of 115 acres is part of the old Nickell estate, and on this he has built a new and tasteful residence; the Captain and wife have a daughter, Alice N., born in 1868, in Waukesha Village; he is an ardent Republican, and was once Postmaster of Onekama, Michigan.
SAMUEL FOX, farmer, Sec. 27; P. O. Waukesha; born in Wroxton, Oxfordshire, England, April 7, 1814; he is a son of Samuel and Elisabeth (Hays) Fox; his mother died when he was a child; he was a farmer in England; he was married in Wroxton to Miss Jane, daughter of William and Mary (Gardner) Carpenter; they had four children, all born in Wroxton-Mary A., S. Albert, Sarah and Cymbreanne. The family came to America, and to the Waukesha homestead in 1854; the 95 acres Were then almost in a state of nature; living in a log house, Mr. Fox did good work, and is rewarded with a good home. Mrs. Fox died in December, 1878; Mary A. (Mrs. William Stillwell) died in July, 1868, leaving five children; Sarah (Mrs. John Sleep) died March 31, 1880, leaving eight children; S. Albert married Miss Eliza, daughter of Richard Smart, and is a substantial farmer in Pewaukee; Cymbreanne (Mrs. William Pratt) is a resident of Detroit. Mr. Fox is carrying on the homestead, assisted by his grandchildren; he is an attendant of the M. E. Church; a Republican, and has held minor offices.
ISAAC GALE, farmer and stock-breeder, Sec. 18; P. O. Waukesha; born in the town of Bennington, Bennington Co., Vt., June 2, 1882; son of Isaac and Lydia (Gardner) Gale, born near the historic old battle-ground at Bennington; he was educated at Bennington, and married there, March 1, 154, to Miss Julia, daughter of Elihu and Sarah (Ploss) Dutcher; she was also of Bennington. In the fall of 1855, Mr. G. and wife, with Mr. Dutcher, came to Waukesha, Mr. Dutcher buying the Gale homestead of Jabez Burchard, to own it but a few hours, however, as he fell a victim of cholera on the third day of his residence in Wisconsin. Mr. Gale bought the 146-acre farm of the heirs, has brought all but 25 acres under cultivation, and erected a tasteful farm house for his home; originally a timbered farm, his care and management have brought it to a state of improvement excelled by but few farms in the county. A Republican, he is now serving his third term on the Town Board of Waukesha; is also President of the Waukesha County Agricultural Society. Is a member of the Baptist Church, and has for ten years superintended the Union Sabbath School, at South Genesee. Mr. And Mrs. Gale have two living children-Alfred J., and Mary F., who is now attending school at Waukesha. The eldest, Martha D., was educated at the Whitewater Normal School, married J. K. Randle, and died in July 1876, aged 19. In regard to Mr. Gale's record as a stockbreeder, we are authorized to state that about fifteen years ago he bought of J. C. Clark, New York, ten pure-bred Spanish Merino sheep, and has since dealt with other noted New York ad Vermont breeders; his ram, Allright, a pure Atwood, sheared just thirty pounds in 1880; he was bred by De Long, of Vermont, and is registered as De Long's 100; Mr. G. regards him as the best animal in the State for wool and stock, and keeps him at the head of his flock of 190 as good sheep as need be seen; his dealings with Western sheep men extend through Texas, Nebraska, Kansas, Colorado, Minnesota, and all parts of Wisconsin; h selling in 1879, thirty-five rams from his flock. His first Jersey cattle, bought in 1876, of J. M. Cobb, have likewise proven a successful adventure, he now owning three thoroughbred and four grades; his last sale, that of a yearling bull, was to E. Enos, the popular Postmaster of Waukesha. Mr. Gale is a also a most successful breeder of Poland China hogs, his first purchase, eight or ten years ago., being made of O. P. Clinton, Pewaukee.
JOHN HILLE, farmer, Sec. 31; P. O. Waukesha; born Feb. 20, 1811, in Bremks, near Gottingen, Hanover; his parents both died when he was a lad; he was educated in his native town, and learned cabinet-making in Gottingen; followed this until 1837, when he emigrated to America, locating in New York City, where he did business on his own account until he came to Wisconsin in 1848. He married, 1842, in New York, Miss Magdalena Jaquiltard; she was born in the department of Strasbourg France, and reached New York in June, 1837; this was the only family of that name in France during the Huguenot persecutions. Mr. Hille bought 146 acres of his present farm of 215; began in a log house, and did good work among the timber, as is attested to-day by the cultivated farm, farm buildings and the spacious stone farmhouse, built two stories high, and built to stay. Mr. and Mrs. Hille have eight children-Charles, Elizabeth, Edwin, Anna, Huldah, William, Lillie and Oscar; all except the eldest were born on the homestead; Michael Hille died in childhood, and John when he was about 30. Mr. Hille is Independent in politics.
GEORGE A. HINE, farmer, Sec. 4; P. O. Waukesha; born July 22, 1811, in Canfield, Trumbull Co., Ohio; his father, born in Connecticut, was a carpenter and joiner, and married Freelove Bunnell, also of Connecticut. G. A. Hine spent his early life in Portage Co., Ohio, and at 21 bought a small furnace and plow factory at Shalerville, Ohio. Dissatisfied with this, he left for Wisconsin, and reached Prairieville in June, 1837, in company with E. D. Clinton; together they claimed over 400 acres on Secs. 4, 5, 6 and 7; both worked at blacksmithing and plow-making and are well-remembered pioneers. In 1839 or 1840, they built a grist and saw-mill on Sec. 7, selling the mill and about 300 acres of land two years later. Mr. Hine then settled on his present farm, which, containing 161 acres, is now among the best in the town; it was, forty years ago, openings and low prairie; Mr. Hine with his own hands breaking and fencing it, building two good houses, and several substantial barns upon it; a spring of running water supplies the stock in the yard, and none of the settlers of 1837 have a better home. Mrs. Hine, formerly Maria Clinton, was born in Vermont, and died October 18, 1874, leaving two sons-Morton O., who married Miss H. S. Taylor, and lived in Waukesha, and Clifton A., who married Miss Addie Smith, and now manages the homestead. He devotes much attention to the culture of berries for the local market; fifty bushels of the different kinds raised in 1880. Father and sons are Republicans, the father having been Assessor, etc.
EDWARD W. KING, Sec. 19; P. O. Waukesha; born in Devonshire, England, Aug. 18, 1811; he learned the trade of a carpenter and joiner in England, and in 1838, emigrated to the United States, coming at once to Waukesha Co.; he spent a few months with Mr. A. F. Pratt, and then bought a claim-which is a good farm and home to-day-then a part of the timbered openings covering the country around it; for three years his home was with his brother, James King, and during the summer of 1843, he built part of his present house; on Christmas Day, 1843, he married Elizabeth Hurst, who died three years later, leaving him one son-Richard. In July, 1847, Mr. King married Miss Esther Horel; she was born May 12, 1822, in Somersetshire, England; her parents, with seven children, came to America in 1837; her 15th birthday being spent in mid-ocean; after seven years spent near Auburn, N. Y., the family settled in Erin, Washington Co., Wis. Mr. and Mrs. King have five children-John H., Edward, George W., William G. and Martha A., all born on the homestead. Richard King served in the 39th W. V. I., in war times, and now lives in California; their son, Samuel, accidentally shot himself, when about 19 years of age, and they also lost an infant. Mr. King is in unison with the Church of England, and his wife with the M. E. Church; he is a progressive farmer, and has erected most of his buildings himself; has 144 acres at home, and 81 in Genesee. Politics, Republican.
JAMES KING, farmer, Sec. 27; P. O. Waukesha; born Sept. 1, 1816 or 1817, in Devonshire, England; he is a son of James and Mary A. (Lowery) King, who died in England; bent upon improving his lot, Mr. King, in 1844, came to the New World; he reached Milwaukee via the Erie Canal and the lakes; he settled in Genesee, and worked a few months at his trade (wagon making); gave it up, and for a number of years worked on farms, earning enough to buy his present farm of 120 acres; it was timbered, and a log house was all the shelter the bachelor-settler had; the first manful blows struck there with his ax have been pluckily followed up, and a good farm and home secured. He married, Jan. 2, 1858, Miss Catherine, daughter of Paul and Vianna (King) Wheeler; Mrs. King was born in Salem, Washington Co., N. Y., and her people came to Waukesha in the fall of 1844. Mr. Wheeler bought a farm, and spent the winter with Mr. William McWhorter; to use her words, "the lived in the trackless woods, in a log house; Mr. and Mrs. King lived a year with Mrs. Wheeler, then a widow; she died in 1860. Mr. King's record here is one of which no man who begins as a farm laborer need be ashamed. He is a Democrat.
CAPT. GEORGE LAWRENCE, one of the historic men of the county, was born Oct. 31, 1812, on Martha's Vineyard, or Dukes Co., Mass; his father, George Lawrence, a native of Norway emigrated to the United States, when he was 19, and, with Martha's Vineyard for his home, followed the sea over fifty years, as a master of a ship for thirty years. His son, our subject, began as a lad by sailing on the small coasters; at 16 he shipped with his father on a whaling voyage, harpooning two whales before he was 17; on this voyage he visited Japan, the Sandwich Isles, etc., and was promoted to boat steerer; his second voyage was made as third mate, under Capt. Marchant; after a most successful cruise of forty-five months, during which time, young Lawrence killed half the whales taken, he returned as second mate. Again sailing as mate, his ship was cast away off Cape St. Lucas; reshipping at Mazatlan, Mexico, he went to Valparaiso, where he was made master of a merchantman (the Crawford), and sailed her to Swansea, Wales, thence to New York, where he took his discharge. His early dream was to marry a farmer's daughter and to die a farmer, and just prior to his third voyage, August 16, 1835, he married Miss Mary Clarke, who was born on a farm in Washington Co., R. I. Capt. L. has made in all six voyages, and passed thirty years on the sea, sailed round the globe in command of the Champion of Edgartown, has seen all the islands of the Pacific, cruised in the Japanese and Chinese seas, and visited both those strange countries, bringing with him as relics a houseful of quaint cabinets, fans, workboxes, shells, &c., besides the weapons of the Islanders. In the fall of 1846, he made his settlement in Milwaukee; in 1847, he built the schooner Lawrence, at a cost of $12,000; the following year, he exchanged on-third of her for his present homestead, and sold the other share to Daniel Newhall. Capt. Lawrence settled here in September, 1848, began to work as farmer, became disgusted with the raising and selling of the splendid wheat of those days at 30 cents per bushel, and resolved to try his fortunes again at sea. In May, 1851, he started on a four years' voyage, which was his last and most successful, netting him a small fortune, which, as he says, "came easy and went easy, as is the way with all sailors." Capt. and Mrs. Lawrence have had six children, of whom George, Jr., is the only one living. He was born Nov 16, 1839, in Washington Co., R. I., married March 5, 1857, Miss Virginia Hall, a native of East Wareham, Mass. They have two sons-George Jr. and Harry H., both born on the homestead. A picture, priceless in the possession of the Captain, gives an excellent likeness of the four Georges in a group. It was taken before the death of the great-grandfather, in his 88th year. The early dream of the Captain is in a fair way of realization, as he, with his son, owns this splendid homestead farm of 330 acres, upon which each has a pleasant and, even elegant home. To sustain the reputation of Rose Glen Factory, a herd of seventy cows is kept. These gentlemen for many years were among the most noted of Wisconsin sheep-breeders, but, since the founding of the butter and cheese factory in 1877, have given their entire attention to it. They were awarded a pair of nickel-plated scales as a special premium, at the Industrial Dairy Fair, held in New York City, 1878; these scales, worth $100, were awarded for the best tub of butter. The factory was the first established in the county, and is a most gratifying success.
GEORGE A. LOVE, farmer, Sec. 6; P. O. Waukesha; born Sept. 20, 1828, in Oneida Co., N. Y.; his grandfather, Robt. Love, was the father of eleven children, of whom Levi Love was the eldest son; he and a younger brother, Robert, made their first visit to Prairieville in 1836, Robert claiming and settling upon the present Bethesda farm, which he sold to the Tichenors. Levi returned to New York State, and removed his family to Long Point, Can., where he engaged in farming until 1843; that year he settled on Sec. 19, Pewaukee, with a wife (formerly Emma Waldo) and eight children; a residence of twelve years here gave him an improved farm, though he began pioneer fashion, in a log house among the timber; he next settled on Sec. 1, in Genesee, and, after seven or eight years, removed to Sec. 6, in Waukesha, where he died, in November, 1876, at the advanced age of 85. His son, our subject, settled in 1858, on a farm on Sec. 36, in Delafield, and, in 1874, on his present farm of 283 acres; the first owner was Norman Clinton; Col. Marshall and James Davis were also previous owners, the latter calling this beautiful and fruitful farm Pleasant Valley. In 1852, Mr. Love married Miss Mary, daughter of Samuel and Eleanor Breese; she was Welsh by birth, her parents settling on Sec. 1, in Genesee, in 1847; his younger brother, Julius C., who was born Jan 26, 1835, in Hartland, Niagara Co., N. Y., married a sister, Hannah Breese, and resides on an adjoining farm of 373 acres, the two considered by good judges to bet the best stock farms in Waukesha County. This fact, however, is but little consolation to the heart-sore brothers, as their faithful and loving helpmeets are hidden from their sight forever, both falling victims to that dread disease, typhoid fever, in the fall of 1879, as did S. Lorenzo and Harriet E., children of G. A. Love, all dying within a few weeks of each other at his house, he being the only one of his family to escape the sickness. He has now eight living children-Mary E. (Mrs. H. Putney), Hannah J., Chas. D., J. R., Fannie M., Sophia L., A. G. and Addison N. The family belong to the Waukesha Congregational Church. Mr. Love is a Republican; served as Justice of the Peace and Supervisor in Delafield, and Supervisor in Waukesha.
WILLIAM LOWRY, farmer and carpenter, Sec. 33; P. O. Waukesha; born in County Antrim, Ireland, May 1, 1813; is of Scotch descent; learned his trade in boyhood; his father, grandfather and sons, with him, represent four generations of carpenters. He married, in 1838, Miss Molly Smith, of his native county; their five children were all born in Ireland; of these, John, Mathew H. and Eliza (now Mrs. James Knowles) are dead; William is with his father, and Anna (now Mrs. Mathew Young), resides in Iowa. The family came to America in 1854 or 1855, and resided four years in West Chester, Penn., and four in Sandusky, Ohio; they then settled in Chicago, where Mr. L. earned $3.50 per day at his trade; for a long time, his sons William and John earned $3, at the same trade; Mathew being employed in a store. In the fall of 1867, when Mr. Lowry settled on his present farm of 160 acres, only a part was cleared, on which was a log house, which still stands beside the substantial frame one built in its stead. The main barn, 34x46x16, with the horse-barn, stables, etc., were all erected by Mr. L., who has done good work in clearing the land of timber, stumps and stones. Mr. and Mrs. L. are members of the R. P. Church. Mr. L. is a Trustee.
FREDERICK R. LYONS, farmer, Sec. 28; P. O. Waukesha; was born May 19, 1798, in Colerain, Franklin Co., Mass.; his father, Jesse Lyons, was born in Dedham, Mass., was a cabinet maker, and married Miss Nabby Ranson (sic), who was a native of Colerain. F. R. Lyons lived on his father's farm until he was 22 or 23, then engaged in farming in Greenfield, Mass. He was married, March 15, 1821, to Miss Martha B. Stebbins, of Greenfield. In 1840, Mr. L. and family settled on 40 acres of the present homestead; he had $300 and the land in a state of nature. None of Waukesha's honored pioneers have done better or more successful work than this sturdy son of New England. His first crops of winter wheat were sown on a neighbor's farm, he, mean while, chopping out a farm of his own; many a moonlight evening has he spent felling the giant trees, which were cut up the next day. Such men should and did succeed, as may be seen by the splendid 220-acre farm, with its roomy frame house, replacing the log house of pioneer times, and the substantial barns. Mrs. Lyons died November 12, 1873, leaving seven children. Frederick R. (of Riceville, Ga.); Martha A. (Mrs. Eli Welch); Asenath B., Lucius, Seth, Sophronia J. (now Mrs. John Gaspar); and Eli W. The homestead is now divided between Lucius and Eli W., the latter having the home proper, where his aged father is passing the last days of a well-spent life. The Lyons family are Democrats; Mr. Lyons, Sr., was in old times one of the town board; he is in unison with the Baptist faith. ******************************* Additional information in the marriages.
JOHN McNAUGHTON, Sec. 36; P. O. Prospect Hill; born in the town of Alabama, Genesee Co., N. Y., December 29, 1829. His parents, Duncan and Margaret (Dewar) McNaughton, moved soon after to Pendleton, Niagara Co., an eight years later to the town of York, where the father died. His mother, himself and grandmother left Caledonia, Livingston Co., for Wisconsin, in the fall of 1842; spent the winter with Duncan Cameron, in Vernon, and the next spring bought, with their little means, 80 acres of the present farm; three acres were then broken, and on this they raised enough to supply their frugal wants. They lived in a log house surrounded with a dense forest, but as John grew up a sturdy, healthy boy, he began to chop and clear; kept at it, and to-day his 200-acre farm, of which 150 are cleared, tell of good work well done. Mr. McNaughton also owns 20 acres on Sec. 7, Vernon; has built a large farmhouse, with good barns, etc. His pioneer mother, now 74, is still with him. On the 24th of February, 1859, he married Miss Margaret Miller, a native of Stewarton, Ayrshire, Scotland; they have six children-Christie E., Alexander, Janet, Susan, Margaret and Ellen; they lost three children-Margaret, John and Mary May; all the children were born on the homestead, which was a wilderness thirty-eight years ago. Mr. McN. And family belong to the U. P. Church of Vernon. Politics, Republican; he is not only a farmer but a thrasher, having owned an interest in a machine for a number of years.
GEORGE McVICAR, farmer, Sec. 31; P. O. Waukesha; born near Inverary, Argylshire, Scotland, in 1794; he married Miss Christina McVicar; she was six months his junior, and was born in Inverary; they came to America in 1822, and lived until 1843 near St. John, N. B., engaged in farming, lumbering, etc.; in 1843 they removed to Waukesha, Mr. McVicar buying the claim of John Wilson, who had built a shanty; several of the family were stricken with ague, which compelled them to pass a winter of discomfort in the shanty; then a log house was built, and, with Indians for their neighbors, the work of reclaiming the land was begun, and that it was well done we may now see by the well-improved 243-acre farm, of which 55 are woodland, and by the substantial farmhouse built in 1858, the roomy barns, etc.; there were six children born in New Brunswick, viz., Angus, Catherine, Janet, Peter, John and Margaret; Angus is a leading farmer of Dane Co., Wis.; Catherine, now Mrs. A. Sutherland, lives in Eau Claire, Wis.; Janet died as the wife of Thomas McGill, and left four children-Peter, a Congregational minister, is now President of Washburn College, Topeka, Kan.; Margaret is Mrs. Andrew Watson, now a missionary in Egypt; John McVicar married Miss Jane Horn, of Genesee; they have four children-Mary, Catherine, Agnes and Margaret. The homestead of 243 acres is well improved, with the exception of 55 acres of woodland; the log house of early times was replaced about 1858 with a roomy frame one, which makes a good home for the old couple in their declining years, and for the youngest son and his family; all needed barns, etc., are here, to shelter the flock of fine-wool sheep and other stock. The entire family are members of the Congregational Church; politics Republican.
JAMES MANN, farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Waukesha; born in Craig, County of Antrim, Ireland, Feb. 4, 1813, son of Mathew and Elizabeth (Anderson) Mann; Mr. Mann spent his early life on a farm in Ireland; married Margaret Lynn, who died in 1583, leaving five children-Eliza J., Mary, Mathew, Joseph and James. In 1854, he married Jane Lockhart, by whom he has three children-Margaret, Samuel L. and William J., all born in Ireland; Thomas, born in America, is dead. The family came to America in 1863, spent a year in Ohio, and in 1864 settled on the farm of 126 acres, which has been very much improved by them since this time; over 40 acres have been cleared, a barn built, house enlarged, etc.; there are 80 acres under plow, 46 of wood and pasture and 10 of marsh, the latter in Vernon. Mr. M. and wife are members of the M. P. Church, Mr. M. having been Elder of the Vernon Church for several years; his five elder children are in Kansas, where he also has several grandchildren; the three younger are on the farm; S. L. and W. J. are twins. The mother of Mr. Mann died here, aged 86.
DANIEL NEWHALL, one of Wisconsin's best-known business men, is a native of the manufacturing village of Conway, Franklin Co., Mass.; this was his home from his birth, May 24, 1821, until he was 17; at this time, he settled near Lockport, N. Y., where he worked two seasons on a farm, and taught school for awhile; 1838 found him in business for himself, in Lockport, where he remained until 1844, when he settled in the bustling and "smart" frontier town of Milwaukee, then containing perhaps 7,000 people; beginning with a capital of $30, he opened a grocery and provision business on East Water street, and, with the energy and business ability always necessary factors, built up the largest business of the kind in the place; his trade with the German emigrants was very large, it being no unusual thing for him to take in a peck of Prussian thalers and French coins per day, or to agree to furnish more goods during a day's business than were in the store in the morning. During 1844, he made his first visit to Prairieville (Waukesha); teams then forded the river, and people crossed on large stones arranged for the purpose. In 1850, Mr. Newhall retired from the provision business, bought the Phillips warehouse, and began dealing in wheat; the rapid growth of his business necessitated the building of the well-known Badger warehouse in 1854; it was then the largest in the Northwest; the same year, he built the D. O. Dickinson, Milwaukee Belle, G. D. Norris, L. J. Farwell and the M. S. Scott; these, with the Lawrence, Speed and Robert Burns, gave him the largest line of sailing vessels on the lakes, known as the Badger line; his ambition at this time was to start a vessel-load of wheat for Buffalo every day; 1855-56 witnessed the building by him of the Newhall House, costing, with its site, $252,000; it was then the largest hotel between Albany and the Pacific, and was for years the architectural pride of the city, where its only rival to-day is the Plankington. Up to 1867, Mr. Newhall was the leading grain-shipper of the entire Northwest, his operations in wheat in Milwaukee and Chicago, and in gold and stocks in New York, involving the use of millions of dollars. "Show me a man who has made no mistakes, and I'll show you one who has never done anything." Mr. Newhall's mistakes cost him his fortune, but not his honor. He married, in 1843, in her native town (Orwell, Vt.), Miss Melissa M. Tenny, who died in 1855, leaving six children-Minerva M., Daniel E., Harriet E., Ella M., Flora R. and Arthur T.; the eldest, born in Orwell, Vt., is now Mrs. Dr. A. M. Helmer; the Doctor served as a volunteer in the 218th N. Y. V. I. (his native State); the five younger children are natives of Milwaukee; D. E. is in Buffalo, N. Y.; Harriet E. (now Mrs. Charles L. Pierce) is in Milwaukee, as is Arthur T.; Ella (now Mrs. J. M. Whaling) resides in Chicago, and Flora (now Mrs. W. B. Douglas) in Lockport, N. Y. Since 1874, Mr. Newhall has resided upon the old Hanford place; this and Woodside make a most pleasant resting-place for him, he having wholly retired from active business; his sales of milk from the most popular Woodside Dairy are 1,200 quarts per day during the fashionable season in Waukesha. Such is an imperfect sketch of the life of this man, who has held a central place in the world's great life battle for over forty years. His present wife was Miss Roxena B. Tenny, a sister of the deceased wife.
WM. A. NICKELL, farmer, Sec. 9; P. O. Waukesha; eldest son of A. C. and Eliza (Cornwall) Nickell, both of whom were born and educated in Monroe Co., W. Va. In June, 1835, A. C. Nickell and Dr. Madison W. Cornwall made their first visit to Prairie Village, the two claiming the entire Sec. 9, and 200 acres adjoining. The spent the first summer in their wagon; then built a small log shanty near the present Industrial School, Mr. Nickell building a shanty nearly opposite the Sanborn residence soon after. His final settlement was made in a log house built near the present residence of Capt. W. M. Farr. Returning in the fall of 1837, he married, the young couple making their wedding trip to Wisconsin in an old boat-like Pennsylvania wagon; it being, on the whole, with visiting done on the way, a most pleasant trip, occupying seven or eight weeks, at the end of which they began life as genuine pioneers in the log house. Here six of the children were born-Mary J., (Mrs. W. L. Rankin), Chas. C. (deceased), Wm. A., Susan E. (Mrs. W. M. Farr), Carrie M. and James M.; the youngest, A. C., was born in the stone house built by his honored father in or about 1850. At the death of A. C. Nickell, Feb. 16, 1877, it was felt on all sides that one of the first settlers of the county was gone, not only among the first to located here, but first in all energetic, progressive and kindly deeds. His widow, a fresh, vigorous, matronly looking pioneer woman, now enjoys the comforts of an elegant home in the village. Wm. A. Nickell attended one of the very first private schools, taught by Mrs. Goodwell, afterward taking a course under Dr. Savage, at Carroll College. He has been a life-long farmer, now owning the homestead of 240 acres, living in the stone house built thirty-five years ago, and still a most pleasant home; he married, in December, 1876, Miss Susie E., daughter of L. F. and Mary (Willey) Baker; she was born in Delaware Co., Ohio, and spent her younger life in South Bend, Ind.; their little daughter, Marie B., was born on the home farm. Mr. N., like his pioneer sire, is a Republican and a member, with his family, of the Waukesha Presbyterian Church; he has been officially identified with the County Agricultural Society since its organization, and was its President in 1875 and 1876; he has also been a member of the Board of Supervisors.
M. L. SANBORN, farmer, Sec. 16; P. O. Waukesha; born in New Chester (now Bristol), Grafton Co., N. H., on New Year's Day, 1803; his mother, formerly Sally Worthen, had two children by Mr. Sanborn-Martin L. and Laura W.; Mr. S. died when M. L. was 4 years old, the widow marry-ing Moses Merrill, by whom she had five children-Sherburn S. (now Supt. Of the C., M. & St. P. R. R.), Marian (deceased), Narcissa, Chastina, and Moses. Dec. 17, 1829, Mr. S. married Miss Emeline, daughter of John and Ruth (Wicks) Smith; she was born Oct. 23, 1811, in Bath, N. H.; after the wedding, they settled on a farm two miles north of Bath, where they lived nineteen years; their five sons were born here-Geo. W., Sept. 25, 1832; Sherburn, Sept. 15, 1834; James S.; Nov. 14, 1837; Frank L. Aug. 27, 1848, and Fred A., April 12, 1852. The eldest, now Assistant Superintendent of Iowa and Dakota Division of C., M. & St. P. R. R., resides at Mason City, Iowa; Sherburn, Superintendent of W. & St. Peter R. R., resides at Winona, Minn.; James S. is in the ice business in Milwaukee, also owning a large brick-yard in Portage, Wis., of which Frank L. has charge; the five brothers own an equal interest in an extensive herd of cattle in Kansas, overseen by the youngest brother, who is at Madison Lodge, Kan. In 1868, the old couple settled on their present farm of 180 acres, living for the first seven years in a small house, minus cellar or closet; their present home, built of Cream City Brick, in 1875, is doubtless the finest farmhouse in Waukesha County; in this, the golden wedding was celebrated, Dec. 17, 1879; the sons met here together; a special train brought S. S. Merrill and twenty-eight guests from Milwaukee, and it was made an occasion never to be forgotten by those enjoying it. A poem, elegantly written by a niece, Miss H. M. Blanchard, was read, and contained a feeling and most fitting allusion to the kindly care of the old couple over several foster-daughters. Mr. Sanborn is a Democrat and a lifelong member of the M. E. Church; his wife, respecting her mother's wishes, has remained with the Congregationalists.
ORSON TICHENOR, farmer, Sec. 11; P. O. Waukesha; born May 8, 1820, in Galway, Saratoga Co., N. Y., son of Moses and Abby (Paul) Tichenor; his father, a scythe maker, resided thirty-six years in Amsterdam, N. Y. Moses T. spent most of 1838 looking for a location in Ohio and Illinois; resolved upon joining relatives of his wife in the latter State, he boxed up his worldly goods for Chicago; a letter from a Wisconsin friend gave so good an account of Badgerdom as to leave Mr. T. in an undecided frame of mind, which resulted finally in his landing July 7, 1839, in Milwaukee; leaving his family here, he made his second trip to Illinois; on his return, he bought of Robert Love the farm on which is the now famous Bethesda Spring, then overgrown with willows; a spring a few yards distant (now filled) was environed by noble trees, under which the young people of old times used to gather for many a social frolic and song; kind and friendly interest in each other then took the place of the modern broadcloth, kid gloves and spring hats; selling the Bethesda farm after eighteen months, Mr. T. made a third trip to Illinois, and on his return sent Orson to "spy out the land" of his mother's relatives; neither were able to buy to suit them, and the settlement of the family on the present homestead, in 1841, is the result; it was a timbered farm, and Mr. Tichenor has spent forty long years of honorable toil in making of it a most pleasant home; part of his tasteful residence was built by H. N. Davis, the former owner, and is over 40 years old; curious Indian relics have been found in reclaiming the 240 acres comprising the farm. Mrs. Tichenor was Miss Cynthia Owen, of Sullivan, Madison Co., N. Y.; they have three children-Maria E., Lottie B. and Martha K., all born on the homestead. The family belong to the Waukesha Congregational Church, Mr. T. with two others, now being the only members who united in 1840. He is a stanch old-time Abolitionist Republican, advocating temperance and opposing secret societies. His father proposed "Bethesda" as the fit name for the world-famous spring which he once owned, saying the pool and surroundings suggested the name to him; he died April 12, 1872, aged 84 years, his wife following him to the grave Oct. 12, 1872. Both were full of years and honors, kindly remembered by all who knew them.
WILLIAM S. TURNER, Secs. 25 and 26; P. O. Waukesha; born in Orange Co., N. Y., Sept. 30, 1845, son of William and Margaret (Porter) Turner. The parents and seven children settled on 80 acres of the homestead, in 1848; it was bought of one Manderville, and was timbered; about 20 acres were cleared on which were no buildings of value; William Turner did good work here, clearing and adding to the farm and erecting a house and barn; he was born in Belfast, Ireland, and died May 16, 1862, one of the honored old residents of his town; was a prominent member of the R. P. Church of Vernon, and one of its original Trustees. His son has proven himself worthy of his heritage, having added 25 acres, which gives him an improved farm of 140 acres; he has also built a 30x40 foot barn on the modern plan, and erected other needful buildings. Married Miss Margaret Loughbridge, a native and resident of New Berlin, by whom he has a son, Ira Wallace Turner, born Aug. 31, 1 876, and a daughter, Sarah May Turner, born May 20, 1880. Mr. and Mrs. T. are members of the R. P. Church. A brother, Samuel R. Turner, now a resident of Minnesota, enlisted in Co. G, 28th W. V. I. serving with the Western army for three years.
JOHN WAGNER, farmer, Secs. 9, 16 and 17; P. O. Waukesha; born in New Berlin, Chenango Co., N. Y., 1817; his father, John Wagner, was born in Worcester, Mass., and married Anna Farnsworth, a native of Halifax, Vt. The parents, John, Jr., and two sisters came to Wisconsin in 1844, the father buying the homestead, then in its natural state, of A. C. Nickell; a 16x20 balloon-framed house, with a log addition, was the family home for about nine years; to-day, the splendid 300-acre farm, with the capacious barns and roomy and substantial farmhouse offer a striking contrast to the surroundings of thirty-six years ago, and is mainly the result of management of the present owners; his father died in February, 1858, his mother in March, 1864; his wife was formerly Miranda Johnson, born in Preston, Chenango Co., N. Y.; her parents removed to Steele Co., Minn., where her father died in 1857, her mother ending her life at her daughter's home in April, 1867; a sister of Mr. Wagner, Relief, married Delos Vail, of Jefferson Co., Wis., and their daughter, Leoline, is as a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. Wagner. Mr. W. votes for men and principles, instead of political parties, though voting with the Republicans up to the nomination of Tilden; is an energetic and successful breeder of fine-wool sheep and fine horses; in 1844 he bought a Kentucky mare, which he kept until she was 30; he has bred constantly from her stock since, and made only on purchase, that of "Briggie Lee," a noble Kentucky mare, bred by Gen. Gano, of Bourbon Co.
J. MARCELLUS WHITE, Sec. 8; P. O. Waukesha; born in the town of New Berlin, Chenango Co., N. Y., April 8, 1836; his father, Ira A., was born in Rhode Island; married Miranda, daughter of John and Anna (Farnsworth) Wagner; she was born in Chenango Co., and they have two sons, Ira M. and J. M.; the family settled in a log house, on the Waukesha homestead, in May, 1845; a few acres were cleared and a peach orchard set out by former owners; the 137 acres has been reclaimed and made valuable, a good home built, also a 35x45-foot basement barn. The old couple have resided in Waukesha Village since 1864, the son owning the farm. He married Miss Mary, daughter of Erastus and Almira (Oxford) Churchhill; her parents settled in Wauwatosa, Milwaukee Co., six weeks prior to her birth, in 1843. Mr. and Mrs. White have one daughter, Ida M.; the family belong to the Waukesha Baptist Church. Mr. White is alive to the stock interests, owning 100 fine-wool sheep, with other stock; politics Republican.
J. W. WILLIAMS, Secs. 30 and 19; P. O. Waukesha; born April 12, 1822, in Chester, Rutland Co., Vt.; son of James and Martha (Taylor) Williams; his father was born in Cranston, R. I., and his mother in Hillsboro, N. H.; the family settled on the Waukesha homestead in 1840, buying the claim of one Thompson, and the land, on its coming into market; it was then part timber (openings), marsh and prairie; more land of a similar character has been added, and the whole well improved, the 290 acres, with the capacious barns, making it a valuable stock farm; a substantial frame house supplants the log one in which the family spent the first few years; the father of Mr. W. died her in 1872, and his mother in 1874. He married Betsy M. Warner Nov. 8, 1852; she was a native of Hillsboro, N. H., and at her death, in 1874, left three children-William C., Fannie M. and Harry T., all born on the homestead; the eldest is now a resident of Wauwatosa. Mr. Williams is now an Elder in the Waukesha Presbyterian Church, of which his wife was also a member; politics, like most "Green Mountain Boys," Republican. Mr. Williams in former years devoted much attention to the breeding of superior fine-wool sheep; he now has 200 of these and a herd of thirty milch cows, with other stock and the usual crops.
JOHN WRIGHT, farmer, Sec. 33; P. O. Waukesha; born Aug. 26 1820, in County Antrim, Ireland; son of James and Jane (Logan) Wright; he came with them to Genesee, N. Y., in 1839, and to Waukesha in 1845; in 1854, Mr. Wright bought a farm in Vernon; he sold this, and, in 1858, bought his farm of 226 acres, then covered with timber and grubs; he has cleared the farm, fenced it, and erected all the buildings except the house; few farmers have more or better barns, one being 78x34x16, one 26x80x16, besides barns, granary, etc., about 140 acres are cultivated. Mr. Wright has four children-Lemuel A., Isabella Alice, Sarah Jane and Herman W.; the two eldest were born in Vernon, and the two youngest on the homestead. Mr. Wright is a member of the Reformed Presbyterian Church. He has sixteen head of Ayshire cattle, twenty-two milch cows, and a herd of nearly fifty in all; he formerly kept sheep instead.
WILLIAM L. WRIGHT, farmer. Sec. 26; P. O. Waukesha, born Aug. 27, 1817, in County Antrim, Ireland; his parents, James and Jane (Logan) Wright, were of Scotch descent; the family came to America in 1839, and resided in Geneseo, N. Y., until 1845, when they came to the town of Waukesha, the father bought 160 acres (afterward the town and county poor-farm), and built the 26x36-foot house where the first Covenanters' meeting was held, and where he died July 22, 1850; he left a wife and seven children James, Edward, William L., John, Matthew, Sarah J. and Alexander; the mother died in 1855. William L., in 1849, bought his present farm of 240 acres; on this he has built a large and pleasant two-story house, 23x37, wing 20x40, a main barn 34x55, and other farm buildings; on a small creek crossing his farm, he, in 1852, built a dam and sawmill, which is still in active operation; has since built a feed-mill. In 1875, Mr. Wright married Miss Martha B., daughter of William and Margaret (Porter) Turner; Mr. Turner was a native of Belfast, Ireland; his wife and all but one (Mary E.) of the children were born in Orange Co., N. Y.; these were Robert C., Samuel R., Martha B., Drusella, Anna L., William S. and Margaret; the family settled on the homestead in Waukesha in 1848; here Mrs. T. and William S. reside, Mr. Turner dying May 16, 1862. Mr. and Mrs. Wright are members of the Reformed Presbyterian Church, of which be was one of the first Trustees, and is now an Elder. Believing that the Constitution of the United States indorsed(sic) slavery up to 1866, and that it contains no recognition of God or Christianity, Mr. Wright has never sworn to support it, and is in consequence an alien. Mr. and Mrs. Wright have two children - Margaret J. L. and William James.